• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anything You Would Never Do at a Show Again?

I do like making the Chocolate Cake, though.Phyllo dough is really thin - I mean SUPER thin - pastry dough that is used in layers. It was featured in a couple theme show recipes a few seasons ago, and although they were DELICIOUS, they were very difficult to make b/c of the phyllo dough. Here are the recipes in case you are ever up for the challenge ;) :https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/theme_show_recipes/Gruyere.pdfhttps://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/theme_show_recipes
I will never again go all out to try to make up for a simple mistake I might make in the pre-show phase. I once sent out all the invitations for a show, 50 of them, however, I forgot to put the show information on them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so humiliated, I apologized profusely, and as soon as she called me to tell me about the mistake I got another batch of invites, 52 this time, ready and at the post office in 1 1/2 hours. I told her she could choose a free spice, and each guest that came could get $2 off their shipping. At her show, I forgot her free paring knife she won from the show she booked from. A friend of hers put in an order on my website, but did it as an individual order, I had no idea this person was to be a guest of this show. The host was angry that her friends order wouldn't count towards her sales, she insisted that her friend put the order in correctly. Then it still gets worse.......The whole show, she reminded me of my mistake with the invites, treated me as hired help, I had to stand off the dining area while they all sat around the table and ate, was not included in any conversation, couldn't talk to them while they ate. Then she also had a friend who was invited to order from a bridal registry but wanted this host to get credit for it. I tried to explain to them that you can't really do that but they wanted to anyway. They did the gift order but wanted me to call the bride or consultant of the registry and tell them to take that item off the reg. but I did put my foot down there and said no, that was up to you. So, that's right, I let them steal an order from another consultant, I am ashamed! Sorry it it was any of you. Then at closing, she was about $30 away from the next level but we had to close, she said okay, we closed and submitted then called me to ask if there was anything we could do about that because she felt I cheated her out of $20 in free product and another half price item. I have learned to say no to certain things, I will not let someone walk on me again. I will never go over the top to make up for a simple mistake again, I will say I am so sorry and go on!!!!!!!! The customer is always right only goes so far! Not a recipe disaster but it is my " what I will never do again".

If it makes you feel any better, if it were my customer's registry I wouldn't feel like you stole an order. You were just serving your host well.

teresah551393 said:
I will never again go all out to try to make up for a simple mistake I might make in the pre-show phase. I once sent out all the invitations for a show, 50 of them, however, I forgot to put the show information on them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so humiliated, I apologized profusely, and as soon as she called me to tell me about the mistake I got another batch of invites, 52 this time, ready and at the post office in 1 1/2 hours. I told her she could choose a free spice, and each guest that came could get $2 off their shipping. At her show, I forgot her free paring knife she won from the show she booked from. A friend of hers put in an order on my website, but did it as an individual order, I had no idea this person was to be a guest of this show. The host was angry that her friends order wouldn't count towards her sales, she insisted that her friend put the order in correctly. Then it still gets worse.......The whole show, she reminded me of my mistake with the invites, treated me as hired help, I had to stand off the dining area while they all sat around the table and ate, was not included in any conversation, couldn't talk to them while they ate. Then she also had a friend who was invited to order from a bridal registry but wanted this host to get credit for it. I tried to explain to them that you can't really do that but they wanted to anyway. They did the gift order but wanted me to call the bride or consultant of the registry and tell them to take that item off the reg. but I did put my foot down there and said no, that was up to you. So, that's right, I let them steal an order from another consultant, I am ashamed! Sorry it it was any of you. Then at closing, she was about $30 away from the next level but we had to close, she said okay, we closed and submitted then called me to ask if there was anything we could do about that because she felt I cheated her out of $20 in free product and another half price item. I have learned to say no to certain things, I will not let someone walk on me again. I will never go over the top to make up for a simple mistake again, I will say I am so sorry and go on!!!!!!!! The customer is always right only goes so far! Not a recipe disaster but it is my " what I will never do again".

That is a horrible story...I"m so sorry you had to go through that.

kcmckay said:
Not being offensive here so please don't take it personal. Its just I travel for work so when I'm on the East coast I always say "back in my country" for example, in Connecticut they call it a "pocket book" on the west coast its a purse or bag. I say FREEWAY and they say HIGHWAY. Here we say "you are all done" there they say "all set". In a fast food restaurant, here it is "for here or to go" on the East coast they say "to stay or to go". I could go on, and some of its not nice so I will stop here.
Tammy

Sorry I know you arent being offensive and I don't take it as that but I also think that it varies state to state beyond coastal differences. Where in NY I would always say and here for here or to go I've never heard or said to stay or to go. I get the freeway highway thing too but I knew a girl in college who was from Delaware and she called it a freeway too and it's still the east coast. I was born and raised in NY on the east coast. My sister also was but now lives in CA. so I always hear about the differences from her.;) I just found your post to be enlightening and funny as well.[/QUOTE]

Last year at conference I sat at a table with two ladies and they laughed everytime I said something. I wasn't trying to be funny.

raebates said:
If it makes you feel any better, if it were my customer's registry I wouldn't feel like you stole an order. You were just serving your host well.

Thanks, but I will really never allow someone to do that again! I didn't think it was fair to the bride b/c she lost out on show total or to the consultant who lost out on the comm. sale.

Even after all thos invites and free gifts, she only had 4 people attend and it was about $270 in sales, no bookings. Live and learn I guess! I went on, I am over it, learned from and wrote her off. Some other consultant can have her!

Never try to use the Pineapple Wedger on an over-ripe pineapple. UGH! So embarrassing, and made the tool look useless.

Otherwise, one of my favorite phrases, after all IS "I'm a Pampered Chef, not a Perfect Chef!"

Teresah, I don't think you let her walk all over you. I bet she would have been freakishly demanding even if there hadn't been that initial mistake.

A few things I will never again do at a show LOL
1.) I will not let guests make me feel pressured during checkout! When you have a show of 19 people, yes it takes a bit to check them out! When they are in line like a herd of cattle it can be nerve wracking and NO ONE gets the customer service they deserve! Now I have everyone put their order forms somewhere outside the room where I am checking everyone out and pull from the bottom and call them in one at a time.
2.) I will never again let the way I feel a show went determine how the show actually went and rush through checkout to hurry and get home to have a beer! LOL
I had a show that was an hour away, there were screaming kids running all over, taking my tools (which by the way my demo was on a coffee table!), I had to basically scream to have anyone hear me and I rushed out without asking anyone if they would book a show!
I talked to the host about a week later when her order was shipped and she told me that everyone at the show thought it was the best show they had ever been to and I was the best Consultant they had come across.
Feeling like an idiot now!
3.) I won't hesitate to ask a host to move her stuff off of a table in a tiny studio apartment so that I won't spill a batter bowl full of eggs all over her carpet! LOL I need room to work!

teresah551393 said:
Thanks, but I will really never allow someone to do that again! I didn't think it was fair to the bride b/c she lost out on show total or to the consultant who lost out on the comm. sale.

Even after all thos invites and free gifts, she only had 4 people attend and it was about $270 in sales, no bookings. Live and learn I guess! I went on, I am over it, learned from and wrote her off. Some other consultant can have her!

I had my first wedding registry set up and when I was talking to the girl - she cuts my hair - about how her shower went she was very apologetic that no one ordered from her registry ...........but went on to say that she did get a lot of PC stuff because one of the people invited to her shower has a SIL that sold PC and she just went to the registry and wrote everything down and got everyone to order from her SIL. One order I could understand, but everybody. I was annoyed at that one.

pcsharon1 said:
I had my first wedding registry set up and when I was talking to the girl - she cuts my hair - about how her shower went she was very apologetic that no one ordered from her registry ...........but went on to say that she did get a lot of PC stuff because one of the people invited to her shower has a SIL that sold PC and she just went to the registry and wrote everything down and got everyone to order from her SIL. One order I could understand, but everybody. I was annoyed at that one.

I would be annoyed too at that one. I know we don't have territories, etc but to me that is wrong. One item maybe. I would never go to some one else's registry and pull items to sell to someone else.

ltkacz said:
THe show stopper recipe from a few years ago with the chocolate cups. You make them with ballons, dip in chocolate, let harden and pop the ballon. Hostess bought cheap cheap cheap ballons, the chocolate wasn't very warm and they were popping left and right - chocolate went everywhere!

Not funny for you, but I am chuckling. Yes, I LOVED these, but the recipe was in the summer and people just don't cool their houses down sometimes! Mine were melting before I could get the (melting) ice cream in them!

I will never make 2 recipes or Tuxedo brownies at a party again. I will never make anything that needs to go in the oven in the summer.

I will never have a "Survivor challenge" involving the QC paring knife vs the A/P/C/S to see who can peel, slice and core an apple quicker. Did not realize that the gentleman was so competative that he would cut his hand bad enough for stitches.

Will always take the time to stir the chocolate morsels being melted in the micro cooker every 30 seconds. The smell of burnt chocolate and melting plastic is not good!!

Can imagine the shock at some of these stories, but I am getting a kick out of them. I am thinking of taking some for my next meeting!

teresah551393 said:
I will never again go all out to try to make up for a simple mistake I might make in the pre-show phase. I once sent out all the invitations for a show, 50 of them, however, I forgot to put the show information on them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so humiliated, I apologized profusely, and as soon as she called me to tell me about the mistake I got another batch of invites, 52 this time, ready and at the post office in 1 1/2 hours. I told her she could choose a free spice, and each guest that came could get $2 off their shipping. At her show, I forgot her free paring knife she won from the show she booked from. A friend of hers put in an order on my website, but did it as an individual order, I had no idea this person was to be a guest of this show. The host was angry that her friends order wouldn't count towards her sales, she insisted that her friend put the order in correctly. Then it still gets worse.......The whole show, she reminded me of my mistake with the invites, treated me as hired help, I had to stand off the dining area while they all sat around the table and ate, was not included in any conversation, couldn't talk to them while they ate.

Had something very similar happen. The host and I worked different hours so closing her show was terrible (no e-mail on her part either). LONG story short, she and her daughter blew me into PC. She ended up giving the orders to a consultant that lived closer to her. I drove 90 miles ONE way to do this party. I had several conversations with HO and they were shocked that she gave this show to someone else. And the "free" item I offered them? They expected me to STILL give it to them even though I was not going to get credit for the show I did. I fell in love with our HO staff.

baychef said:
Had something very similar happen. The host and I worked different hours so closing her show was terrible (no e-mail on her part either). LONG story short, she and her daughter blew me into PC. She ended up giving the orders to a consultant that lived closer to her. I drove 90 miles ONE way to do this party. I had several conversations with HO and they were shocked that she gave this show to someone else. And the "free" item I offered them? They expected me to STILL give it to them even though I was not going to get credit for the show I did. I fell in love with our HO staff.

That's just crazy!!:eek:

chefdiana2007 said:
I would make sure that I told the host to have everything in the fridge, I did one show where everything was frozen....Too way too long and was a mess. then there is the time I set my towel on fire oh well...don't want to do that again.

The day I got my Bamboo Towels I brought them to my show that night. A couple of days later I was tellling the host about using one to clean out the Smoky Barbecue Chicken Wing Sauce from my CBB, which turned it very red. I just threw it in with the rest of my laundry a few days later, and it has two small, barely noticeable stains, but otherwise looks brand new. I also pointed out how convenient the hoops are. She laughed, and said it sounds great, but until her girls are older (almost 2 and almost 1 - plus she has two school-age boys), she's too absent-minded to use cloth towels . . . and hinted about one catching fire on the stove!

ChefBeckyD said:
Yep - this would be my "never again" too!

I had a host buy phyllo dough instead of puff pastry sheets for the strawberry amaretto pastry but i got lost on my way there so there was NO time to go to the store and get the pastry. NOT fun it was my first show too!

Ok - here is the trick to working with Phylo dough.

Yes - use a damp towel and work quickly, so to avoid drying out.

Do not freak out when it tears on you! You will never be able to tell with the end product! Phylo is very thin and it is not unusual for it to tear - and yes, Greek ladies have the same issue! ( I am Greek :chef:)

Do not remove the plastic covering, until you are ready to use it. It drys out quickly.

That is all I can think of - and of course, practice!

Andrea

Make sure you take a good look at the size of the chicken breast, before you put it in the DCB. My host purchased her chicken breasts from COSTCO, and they definetely needed more than 3-4 minutes per breast!

Talk about frustrating! Of course it was my own fault - I really should of paid for attention.

Andrea

TammyStar said:
Thats okay, I always get confused when Candadiens spell CATALOGUE! In my country we spell it catalog. There has been a few other words here that make me look to see where the person is from AND then it makes sense.

Not being offensive here so please don't take it personal. Its just I travel for work so when I'm on the East coast I always say "back in my country" for example, in Connecticut they call it a "pocket book" on the west coast its a purse or bag. I say FREEWAY and they say HIGHWAY. Munchkins are the little people in The Wizard of Oz, so when my coworkers were talking about eating "munchkins" I was appalled didn't know they meant donut holes. Here we say "you are all done" there they say "all set". In a fast food restaurant, here it is "for here or to go" on the East coast they say "to stay or to go". I could go on, and some of its not nice so I will stop here.
Tammy

Interesting. I've lived in MA my whole life, and I have never once heard anyone say this! Only "for here or to go?"

avelissar said:
Make sure you take a good look at the size of the chicken breast, before you put it in the DCB. My host purchased her chicken breasts from COSTCO, and they definetely needed more than 3-4 minutes per breast!

Talk about frustrating! Of course it was my own fault - I really should of paid for attention.

Andrea

That's why I always pound them flat with the meat tenderizer--and I get to show another tool!

I'd never, ever introduce a new product without working it a LOT at home first. When the ultimate mandoline came out, I tried it out at home, thought I had it down and then took it to a show and couldn't get it to work (the slide wasn't on the guide rails correctly). It taught me a lot about improvising (I didn't even mention I had a problem, just started demoing my knives to cover) as well as making sure I try things out more than once! And I now make sure to tell all my hosts and guests the story so that they know to call me if they can't figure something out.

Remember it's not a flaw, it's a "feature"

Or, of course, the ever-popular techie answer--user error.

I will never make 2 recipes or Tuxedo brownies at a party again. I will never make anything that needs to go in the oven in the summer.

What works out really great, is to make the brownie cups in the Mini Muffin Pan, and put them on a clean SA platter to take with you. I put the filling in the EAD, have washed berries and the Egg Slicer Plus ready. After my opening, I say something like, "Life's short; eat dessert first!" and have people fill their own to snack on during the demo. I have sold a lot of Mini Muffin pans (offering a lot of other simple recipes to do with it, of course!) ;)

Be overly nice about letting kids play with my tools at a "vendor fair"

My Tuesday host did a "Stop 'N Shop" in a large city (Six parties for herself going on at once). She had candles, jewelry, Creative Memories, handmade purses, and knock-off purses (both very expensive), Arbonne, and PC me. She works for a hospital, and put flyers in ever department. Probably 50 people came thru. The host sold Lia Sophia and had a buy 1, get 2 "1/2" price going on, and also was totally enthralled with Arbonne (never had seen it before, someone just told her she should include them) so she pushed it. Jewelry and Arbonne sold over $300 each. Candle lady sold C N C by the bagful.

One of the purse ladies brought her 2 1/2 yr old who came to play with me. He was full of energy, so I took all the sharp stuff away, and let him play with silicone stuff and my TTA (Mom had no toys for him, just snacks)

Long story short, he projectile vomited right beside my table, later wet thru his pull ups onto my cloth chair, and some lady who had a nosebleed later pulled the chair from where I had tried to hide it, and SAT ON IT (her brown slacks were damp :yuck: ) The host bummed a candle off the PL lady and burned it on my table to offset the smell...

I sold a Mix N Chop out of my C N C. That's all.

However, on my lead slips, I got 6 yes or maybes about hosting.

raebates said:
Or, of course, the ever-popular techie answer--user error.

I like 'operator malfunction' LOL

DH calls it "loser error." :D

blueberrylady said:
"Life's short; eat dessert first!" and have people fill their own to snack on during the demo.

Love it! :D

Make sure I KNOW the recipe inside and out before I start. My first cooking show called for 2 tsp. of rum extract. My host had real rum. I read the recipe out loud as 2 TAB, which she over poured over that. We had a lot of fun. It was kind of a joke later.

blueberrylady said:

My Tuesday host did a "Stop 'N Shop" in a large city (Six parties for herself going on at once). She had candles, jewelry, Creative Memories, handmade purses, and knock-off purses (both very expensive), Arbonne, and PC me. She works for a hospital, and put flyers in ever department. Probably 50 people came thru. The host sold Lia Sophia and had a buy 1, get 2 "1/2" price going on, and also was totally enthralled with Arbonne (never had seen it before, someone just told her she should include them) so she pushed it. Jewelry and Arbonne sold over $300 each. Candle lady sold C N C by the bagful.

One of the purse ladies brought her 2 1/2 yr old who came to play with me. He was full of energy, so I took all the sharp stuff away, and let him play with silicone stuff and my TTA (Mom had no toys for him, just snacks)

Long story short, he projectile vomited right beside my table, later wet thru his pull ups onto my cloth chair, and some lady who had a nosebleed later pulled the chair from where I had tried to hide it, and SAT ON IT (her brown slacks were damp :yuck: ) The host bummed a candle off the PL lady and burned it on my table to offset the smell...

Hey There Blueberry Lady! ;)

I know this wasn't funny - but it made me laugh...could anything else have gone wrong?

Oh wait - I guess the candle could have knocked over, and caught your tablecloth on fire.....:p

blueberrylady said:

Hoping for your sake that one of the hostess in not the mom of the six year old. Maybe your shows will be less dramatic

MORFIA said:
enter in the WRONG house---yep met by a pit bull--
My worst nightmare!

I stopped in the country and asked a lady for directions. She stood there and talked to me IN HER BRA for ever. Very odd.

Told people that one of my new favorite items (when it first came out) was the dripless, pourer, stopper. WELL- the room of 8 were all non-drinkers...they don't drink due to their religion/church!!! OOPS!!! I don't know how I got out of that one just know it was EMBARRASSING!!!!

jbdowd0798 said:
Told people that one of my new favorite items (when it first came out) was the dripless, pourer, stopper. WELL- the room of 8 were all non-drinkers...they don't drink due to their religion/church!!! OOPS!!! I don't know how I got out of that one just know it was EMBARRASSING!!!!

It is good to know your crowd. I pitched a Salp-your-mama Margarita theme show and got several dirty looks. All the guests were from the gals church. :blushing: Oops!

Blueberry lady, did any of those six possible leads come through?

Crystal Patton said:
It is good to know your crowd. I pitched a Salp-your-mama Margarita theme show and got several dirty looks. All the guests were from the gals church. :blushing: Oops!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who things about alcohol and gets a dirty look! ha ha :rolleyes:

I wouldn't slice anything to soft on the mondoline, ie.. cheeses or tomatoes. It can get really messy really fast!

Cippia said:
My worst nightmare!

I stopped in the country and asked a lady for directions. She stood there and talked to me IN HER BRA for ever. Very odd.

LOL! Ya think she believed it doubles as a bikini? How on Earth did you manage to keep a straight face?

I will never again begin talking about the aphrodisiac qualities of garlic, chocolate, etc. in what I THINK is a room full of women. I looked up and one of the husbands had come in. He was grinning from ear to ear and shaking trying not to laugh. My face went to a bright red.

On a side note, his sister booked a couples' grilling show and when I talked to his mother the other day, she reminded me that we'd be in "mixed company" and just started laughing herself silly. I told her I'd try to make sure I had some cookin' love advice for both sexes!

<h2>1. What is the biggest mistake you've made at a Pampered Chef show and will never do again?</h2><p>The biggest mistake I've made at a show was not being prepared with all the necessary supplies and ingredients for a recipe. This resulted in a lot of wasted time and a less-than-perfect demonstration. Now, I always make sure to double check my list and have everything I need before the show starts.</p><h2>2. Is there a product that you've stopped demonstrating because it didn't receive a good response from customers?</h2><p>Yes, there was one product that I stopped demonstrating because it didn't seem to interest or appeal to my customers. Instead, I focus on showcasing products that have received positive feedback and have proven to be popular with my audience.</p><h2>3. Have you ever had a recipe fail during a demonstration and how did you handle it?</h2><p>Yes, I have had a recipe fail during a demonstration. It can be embarrassing and frustrating, but the key is to stay calm and improvise. I always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong, and I try to make light of the situation and keep the atmosphere light and fun.</p><h2>4. Are there any products or ingredients that you avoid using at shows due to allergies or dietary restrictions?</h2><p>Yes, I always make sure to ask my guests beforehand if anyone has any allergies or dietary restrictions. I avoid using products or ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction or are not suitable for certain diets. It's important to accommodate all guests and make sure everyone can enjoy the demonstration.</p><h2>5. How do you handle a difficult or uninterested audience during a show?</h2><p>If I encounter a difficult or uninterested audience, I try to engage them by asking questions and getting them involved in the demonstration. I also make sure to keep the energy and enthusiasm high to keep everyone engaged. If all else fails, I focus on the guests who are interested and make sure they have a great experience.</p>

Related to Anything You Would Never Do at a Show Again?

1. What is the biggest mistake you've made at a Pampered Chef show and will never do again?

The biggest mistake I've made at a show was not being prepared with all the necessary supplies and ingredients for a recipe. This resulted in a lot of wasted time and a less-than-perfect demonstration. Now, I always make sure to double check my list and have everything I need before the show starts.

2. Is there a product that you've stopped demonstrating because it didn't receive a good response from customers?

Yes, there was one product that I stopped demonstrating because it didn't seem to interest or appeal to my customers. Instead, I focus on showcasing products that have received positive feedback and have proven to be popular with my audience.

3. Have you ever had a recipe fail during a demonstration and how did you handle it?

Yes, I have had a recipe fail during a demonstration. It can be embarrassing and frustrating, but the key is to stay calm and improvise. I always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong, and I try to make light of the situation and keep the atmosphere light and fun.

4. Are there any products or ingredients that you avoid using at shows due to allergies or dietary restrictions?

Yes, I always make sure to ask my guests beforehand if anyone has any allergies or dietary restrictions. I avoid using products or ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction or are not suitable for certain diets. It's important to accommodate all guests and make sure everyone can enjoy the demonstration.

5. How do you handle a difficult or uninterested audience during a show?

If I encounter a difficult or uninterested audience, I try to engage them by asking questions and getting them involved in the demonstration. I also make sure to keep the energy and enthusiasm high to keep everyone engaged. If all else fails, I focus on the guests who are interested and make sure they have a great experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ckarasevic
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ckarasevic
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies