• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Else Dealing With This???

In summary, the economy is bad right now but some people are using it as an excuse not to book a show. The excuse is always "my friends are broke and can't buy anything.........I'm broke and can't afford to buy the ingredients..........the economy is really bad right now and it's not a good time for me........I'm busy with the kids, family, etc."
pamperedcheermom
I know the economy is bad right now but I honestly think some people are using it as an excuse not to book a show. I had a booking blitz here at my house with another consultant and we both booked a few shows each. So far, they have either cancelled or rescheduled. The ones that reschedule end up rescheduling over and over till they finally just tell me they can't do a show. The excuse is always "my friends are broke and can't buy anything.........I'm broke and can't afford to buy the ingredients..........the economy is really bad right now and it's not a good time for me........I'm busy with the kids, family, etc."

I'm really trying not to get frustrated but this is getting old. I sent out an email to the people who have never booked but have ordered and offered a FREE cooking show (I buy the ingredients, they furnish the drinks). Not one person responded. And YES, I've been on the phone offering the same thing but with no luck.

I know we're supposed to encourage our hosts to tell people to come anyway even if they can't buy anything but come on............who wants to end up being the cook for the night while everybody sits around and eats and enjoys themselves. I'm not doing that and I don't know why anybody else would either. I've had some really rude people at my shows in the past and I refuse to cater to them anymore. It's not worth my time.

I need to get out of this rut I'm in and get some good solid bookings on the calendar. I have a few now but I'm pretty sure most of them will cancel. They didn't act like they wanted to have a show anyway.......I think it was their way of getting off the phone. I hate to sound so negative but I've done what I'm supposed to be doing, I host coach till I'm sure they're sick of it, I do the customer care calls, I work on recruiting..........etc.

Any advice would be appreciated and if there is anyone else in this situation, PLEASE SHARE! I know I'm not alone because a friend of mine who is in PC is also having the same problems. Maybe it's the area we live in. People here just aren't interested right now and I know they're getting burned out on hearing from me about PC. :cry:

Find some new contacts! Do a booth somewhere. Ask the local grocery store manager if you can pass out recipe cards that go with their weekly special (i.e., chicken, pork, etc.). Check at exercise places about putting in a table and fix a healthy recipe to share. I used the Multi-Grain Chicken Bites out of the "It's Good For You" cookbook at a booth I did and everyone loved it! Offer free shipping at the booth to customers... It makes them feel special! Until I broke out of my "friends/family" list, I had a slower business! Now with various booths, I do better every month!

I'm with you. 100% of my February shows CANCELLED!!! Yes 100%... all of them! I am having a pity party this morning over it.. gonna pull up my big girl panties and work through it though. It is discouraging, frustrating and maddening. But it is what it is right now. I threw together a show at my own house for next Saturday because I knew I was not going to have any bookings from the shows that no longer existed. I know there are people out there interested, I just need to find them. I am going out this afternoon with my tote and I am going to make contacts!

My Feb was lower....but I've got 10 cooking & catalog combined for March, already have 5 for April, and already 2 for May....don't give up! Just keep asking, & really talk up bridal shows too; I've got 4 bridal shows lined up coming up. And talk up our $2/serving yummy recipes too.

PCJenni said:
I'm with you. 100% of my February shows CANCELLED!!! Yes 100%... all of them! I am having a pity party this morning over it.. gonna pull up my big girl panties and work through it though. It is discouraging, frustrating and maddening. But it is what it is right now. I threw together a show at my own house for next Saturday because I knew I was not going to have any bookings from the shows that no longer existed. I know there are people out there interested, I just need to find them. I am going out this afternoon with my tote and I am going to make contacts!

I had 3 shows, 2 barely qualifed and 1 is still not qualified! 1 of the shows had 2 attendees, with a total of $34 in orders. 2nd show (past host who had a $1200 show last year) had 7 in attendance and $67.5 inorders but is at about $230 right now!:eek: I have never had this problem before and didn't think the economy would affect my biz (denial maybe). My 3rd catty show barely qualified. So it's definitely harsh for some more than others!:(

I know the pain and frustration -- 7 out of 10 shows cancelled for some reason or another in Feb. -- drove me crazy every time someone called. I just decided to focus on March and April and look forward. I do get alot of talk about the economy, alot of it is true and on target, but I think our media has really scared people too. Like Lacy, I focus on the $2 per serving recipes and the value of great products while cooking at home.

We all have months like that. String of not great hosts (I had mine about 2 February's ago...ick...almost made me want to quit). But now, it's good. Make sure if you are calling people, you are excited. I don't try to talk people into doing shows. I am just excited about what we have. If they aren't sure about friends ordering, I tell them we'll pencil in the date and they can "feel them out". Usually they are pleasantly surprised at how excited they are. Tell them that THEY can truly affect their guests so if they are down on the economy, TALK about that and address their concerns. If you believe that PC is worth it, then you'll convey that. If you don't, then that will come across too.Definitely try to branch out by doing booths if you ENJOY meeting new people like that and you plan to follow up with the leads. I do free UPGRADE shipping on orders. So they pay the $4.25 to have it delivered to their home. I am SO thrilled I don't have to deliver, I don't care I'm not making much on them. I also didn't have to do much work so...I don't know if it's the area I'm in. They aren't really big spenders in general, but I think that the economy doesn't scare them so much b/c they are already conscious of where their money goes. They now are just choosing PC over jewelry and home decor.

I've done several booths and got tons of leads. There is always people at the booths who are excited about PC and are very receptive to the idea of having a show. I ask them to fill out the drawing slip, talk about the new products, etc. and then when I call them to follow up.........nothing! They decided it wasn't the right time, they're really busy, their 3rd cousin who lives four states away is having surgery, etc. Seems like they come up with any excuse they can.

I'm always excited when I talk to people about PC and when they get excited it makes it even better. But the follow up call usually ends up in a NO. Occasionally this is not the case but here lately it has been. I guess I needed to vent and see if others were having the same problems. As for asking the grocery store manager about passing out recipe cards..........not gonna happen around here. We can't even sell donuts in front of a store to help raise money for cheerleaders. I know I'm not selling the recipe cards but they consider it soliciting business so they won't allow it.

It'll all work out. I refuse to give up because I know there are people who love PC. I honestly believe everyone is afraid to spend money right now on things like kitchen tools. However, the restaurants are full at night and the department stores are busy. So people ARE spending money. Just not on PC!

If its any consolation the same thing happening over here in teh UK! I had one 'friend' cancel her show because all her friends were pregnant and couldnt get there or afford to buy anything!!! :grumpy: I honestly didnt know that being pregnant affected ones ability to drive/walk or write an order, no matter how small haha!!!:eek:

I have a pretty full April now, so am owndering whether the fact that Christmas is now a disappearing shadow, people might start to spend a little more. I know our goverment is trying to emphasise spending to improve things over here, so I am hoping that for once people follow their advice!

I got the April bookings from a big phoning blitz, offering to do Easter related coffee mornings for parents and their children, managed to get 2 booked and another as a fundraiser, along with a home show for parents in my area!
Good luck to everyone though.

Lizzie

I sent out my monthly e-mail on the host specials for March and this is one of the responses I got back:

"Unless there is a signficant discount for direct purchases, you might as well take me off your mailing lists. Budgets are VERY tight for me now. If I were able to purchase product, very cheap and NOT have to do a party, I might be interested. But really, I'll never have a party as I don't have the stamina. So sorry."

It is really frustrating.

I did a booking incentive on Saturday and Monday (putting there name in a drawing for the Deep Covered Baker) yea it cost me $26.00 dollars, but I did get 11 GOOD bookings, my March is full with 8 parties and two caddy shows 5 for April right now. I was trying to get 20 bookings in 48 hrs. but 11 was better then none. I also started calling everyone who has given me an outside order(through a host) saying "I noticed you had not marked off if you would be interested in having a cooking show." Would you. About 1 in 6 have. Trying what ever I can in these hard times. I live in Michigan, where its been bad for some time, but I feel good selling a product that is useful and a good investment. I have found so many wonderful ideas on here. I also give God the glory for my success.

ttchic said:
I did a booking incentive on Saturday and Monday (putting there name in a drawing for the Deep Covered Baker) yea it cost me $26.00 dollars, but I did get 11 GOOD bookings, my March is full with 8 parties and two caddy shows 5 for April right now. I was trying to get 20 bookings in 48 hrs. but 11 was better then none. I also started calling everyone who has given me an outside order(through a host) saying "I noticed you had not marked off if you would be interested in having a cooking show." Would you. About 1 in 6 have. Trying what ever I can in these hard times. I live in Michigan, where its been bad for some time, but I feel good selling a product that is useful and a good investment. I have found so many wonderful ideas on here. I also give God the glory for my success.

May I ask what you are saying to people?

ttchic said:
I did a booking incentive on Saturday and Monday (putting there name in a drawing for the Deep Covered Baker) yea it cost me $26.00 dollars, but I did get 11 GOOD bookings, my March is full with 8 parties and two caddy shows 5 for April right now. I was trying to get 20 bookings in 48 hrs. but 11 was better then none. I also started calling everyone who has given me an outside order(through a host) saying "I noticed you had not marked off if you would be interested in having a cooking show." Would you. About 1 in 6 have. Trying what ever I can in these hard times. I have found so many wonderful ideas on here. I also give God the glory for my success.
This is exactly where I am with my business.In Michigan, the recession hit way before the rest of the country. What everyone else is experiencing now is something that we have been living with for several years, which is maybe why it isn't making me panicked. I know that even with more than 10% unemployment (yes, we are over 10% here in MI!) there are still plenty of people buying. I've been working hard for several years to tailor my business, and add value to by business in this type of economic environment. It can be done!

ttchic said:

This is exactly where I am with my business.

In Michigan, the recession hit way before the rest of the country. What everyone else is experiencing now is something that we have been living with for several years, which is maybe why it isn't making me panicked. I know that even with more than 10% unemployment (yes, we are over 10% here in MI!) there are still plenty of people buying. I've been working hard for several years to tailor my business, and add value to by business in this type of economic environment. It can be done!

Send them to the outlet if you have a website! I put in a monthly order on the outlet to combine orders and then they don't have to put in their credit card #, etc. Then they need to arrange to get it. I have an expo coming up so I sent and email saying any preorders would not pay s/h or tax (as a gift), but they HAVE to pick it up at the expo (where they will hopefully see something that they just MUST have).

noelskitchen said:
I sent out my monthly e-mail on the host specials for March and this is one of the responses I got back:

"Unless there is a signficant discount for direct purchases, you might as well take me off your mailing lists. Budgets are VERY tight for me now. If I were able to purchase product, very cheap and NOT have to do a party, I might be interested. But really, I'll never have a party as I don't have the stamina. So sorry."

It is really frustrating.

Jules711 said:
Send them to the outlet if you have a website! I put in a monthly order on the outlet to combine orders and then they don't have to put in their credit card #, etc. Then they need to arrange to get it. I have an expo coming up so I sent and email saying any preorders would not pay s/h or tax (as a gift), but they HAVE to pick it up at the expo (where they will hopefully see something that they just MUST have).

That was my first thought... to serve her and all customers who want a sale!:D

Wow! Yes, it is affecting my show schedules as well.
I nearly lost my biz, due to no/not enough sales and lack of shows too.

I WILL try harder to get/keep my biz up and running!
I WILL do another Booking Blitz! (I'm trying to motivate myself, can u tell?)

Thanks for the booking blitz idea! I am going to get on the phone and offer all who book and hold a party March 15 - April 15 to be entered into a drawing for the new white DCB. Maybe do a first, second and third prize with new items I can buy at 50% off. I really need some more booking, or I am afraid I will be out of business!

No pamperedcheermom, you are not alone. I am in the same boat as you. I havn't done a live show since December!!! Only piddly catalog shows. Just enough to keep me active. Flat out, people are spending their money on what the need, not what they desire. I am the same, spending my money on what we really need. No impulse buys at Walmart or Target anymore, the money is just not there. All I can do is enough right now to stay active and hope that Obama's plan works to get the economy going. Not to be a downer, but they are saying if his plan doesn't work, we will be in a full blown depression. Not recession, but depression. I am a realist I take things as they are. No sugar coating here, and I see things the same way as you.

Your quote...

I know we're supposed to encourage our hosts to tell people to come anyway even if they can't buy anything but come on............who wants to end up being the cook for the night while everybody sits around and eats and enjoys themselves. I'm not doing that and I don't know why anybody else would either.

I to have to agree with I am not there to be the cook for the night if no one is coming to buy either. I am sure we all got into this for yes the product, but we all need a paycheck also.

I also can't afford to give away the house anymore to get a booking. My money is tight also, so thats where I am there to. If I end up going to the inactive area in my business, at least I know I really can't blame myself, because I have done the calling and I have done the booking blitz, etc...
Flat out, the economy is bad and we as consultants are feeling it also. No sugar coating anymore, thats what gets us in touble, not accepting what is happening.

Ok kind of got long, guess I had some venting to do also. Now I am going to go get another catalog show together in hopes of getting at least another 150.00 to keep my active status.

Good luck to all!
Schel

noelskitchen said:
May I ask what you are saying to people?
I honestly found a script located in the files, (24 bookings in 48 hrs) but it would go something like this "Hi Beth, this is Tonya with Pampered Chef, I am doing a booking challenge and I am trying to get 20 bookings in 48hrs. Can I tell you about the awesome incentive I am offering? I am booking shows between now and June and if you will book a date with me today, your name is going to go into a drawing for the $69 DCB IN WHITE new for this season... and you could be the first on the block to own one, wouldn't that be exciting, you would be the envy of all your friends....Honestly this seem to work for me. My director said women need to be convinced, having a valid and quick response to the reasons they won't(yes, I practice) seems to help close people who are hesitant. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hang in there ladies...business is out there. We were hit by a major ice storm where most homes were out of power for 21 days from Jan 26-Feb 18. I lost 6 shows due to that storm. I have REBOUNDED though by staying on the phone. I called all of my past customers who have bought bakeware and told them about the March special and all of the bamboo customers to tell them about April. I have so far got 8 bookings from doing that with dates. Business is there...we're just having to work harder to find it.

1. What are some common challenges that others face in the kitchen?

Some common challenges that others face in the kitchen include lack of storage space, difficulty finding time to cook and meal plan, and mastering cooking techniques and recipes.

2. How can I organize my kitchen to make cooking easier?

There are a few ways to organize your kitchen to make cooking easier. You can invest in storage solutions like shelves, racks, and baskets to maximize space. You can also create a meal planning and grocery shopping schedule to save time and reduce stress.

3. What are some easy and healthy meal options for busy individuals?

Some easy and healthy meal options for busy individuals include sheet pan dinners, one-pot meals, and slow cooker recipes. These meals require minimal prep and clean-up time and can be packed with nutritious ingredients.

4. How can I improve my cooking skills?

Improving your cooking skills can be done by taking cooking classes, watching online tutorials, and practicing different recipes. You can also invest in quality kitchen tools and utensils, such as knives and cookware, to make cooking easier and more enjoyable.

5. What are some essential kitchen tools for home cooks?

Some essential kitchen tools for home cooks include a good set of knives, cutting boards, measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, and a food processor or blender. Investing in these tools can help make cooking more efficient and enjoyable.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emo812
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
baychef
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • noelskitchen