• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Debunking the "Economy" Excuse: Cooking Delicious Meals on a Budget

In summary, many hosts are canceling shows because they believe that the economy has caused people to become broke. This excuse is not accurate, as many people are still eating and are still looking for ways to save money.
emo812
Do you have Host's using "the economy" excuse and cancelling shows because they all the people that they know are broke? I've been trying to explain that people still eat and are looking for ways to save money and cook good meals for their family.

I've had 2 shows now that have said the same thing. At least one is doing a catalog show instead but the other just wants to cancel. HELP!!! I'm so frustrated.

that is the huge answer that i am getting, that a lot of my host's want to save their $$$ for xmas gifts for their kids... and are saying that they want a show at the new yr..
it is super frustrating !!! i look forward to see what others write
I feel your pain.. I am sorry that they have canceled...

I am hearing this as a reason to not have a show in Dec or Jan or at all. Boo hoo!

I haven't gotten that too much. Or at all really when it comes to hosting. I have heard it on the orders though which is why my bookings are up because I tell them that they should host and get some stuff for FREE and at a discount. Their friends can receive that same benefit when they book from her party.

Course around here the gas prices have gone down dramatically!! That helps alot of people out. I know my gas bill has been cut in half. Gas is $1.82 at Costco. At least it was about 5 days ago. Wa-Hoo!

Well our gas prices have gone down too but I know that once people get to the show they'll have a good time and enjoying learning some new cooking tips. I just have a hard time relaying that to the hosts that I have that say they don't have any guests because they don't have any money. Maybe I'm the only one but I'm always buying stuff whether I have the money right then or not. If someone invited me to a show I would totally go and be excited about it.

Chef Kearns said:
Course around here the gas prices have gone down dramatically!! That helps alot of people out. I know my gas bill has been cut in half. Gas is $1.82 at Costco. At least it was about 5 days ago. Wa-Hoo!

Isn't it great?!?! It's only around $1.99 here, but I didn't think we'd ever see gas under $2/gallon again...so I'm loving it!!! :D Especially with my Toyota Sequoia to fill up! :p

I hear it quite often, and have been. I just let it go in one ear and out the other. Mostly because if they just bought something at a show, I'll tell them "well, you just bought something to help your friend. Why not host a show and get the rest of your items for free".
Also, it depends on the group. Some groups are having a tougher time than others in their budgets. But nobody truly buys if they know they do not have the $$$. We do provide a great service to our customers. Keep looking, and dialing. It WILL pay off!

When I hear that excuse I"ll tell them "I understand your concern but I will show them how to make budget friendly recipes that will save them money"and usually they love that idea. Good Luck.

I get what your saying but I'm having a hard time convincing my hosts to keep their show dates. I had a lot of shows scheduled and they are slowly dwindling down. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep a decent show schedule through the holidays. I don't have anything booked for Dec yet.

I don't have people telling me that "excuse" but I do know that it has affected my sales. Nov and Dec are always bad months for me b/c everyone is so busy. I rarely even try to book Dec b/c I have so much going on that month.

When people are low on $, extra items like PC can be easily cut out to help save $. No matter how budget friendly our meals are, if they have to buy something to make them, they are not going to spend the $ if they are needing it some place else. Or at least that it how I operate personally anyway. I can totally feel their pain right now. I went to only working 3 days a week after I had Cole, and I have felt the pinch drastictly the last few months.

It some cases it may only be an excuse, but I think in most cases these days it is a real problem.

Last edited:
Emo812, what do you think about the economy and what we offer? Do you think the economy is a good reason not to have a party? Can you think of reasons why having a PC party would be THE thing to do right now? Write a list of at least 10 reasons why a host would WANT to have her party right now or in the next 5 weeks. Once you have your list complete start making your calls and filling in your empty dates with hosts.

It sounds like you need to be sold on why this time of year is a great time to host. The economy isn't great right now, but not everyone has been hit hard. Some people just have to tighten their belts a little bit and that may include cooking at home more. Which is where we come in! Offer the people you call Budget Family Meals and Power Cooking shows. Help them see how PC can HELP them!

You can overcome this!! You have to believe you can first though.

I think that the economy sucks but I personally haven't been affected by it. I work a full-time job and also do PC so it might be different for me. I don't think that the economy is a good reason to not have a party. I think it would be a way to get people's minds off of the economy to get together for some fun, food, and helpful tips. I also think that it would be a great opportunity to offer the business to others who are looking for some extra cash. Besides I don't think that the economy is going to stop people from Christmas shopping either. I think that once people start cancelling it makes me second guess what I'm doing with my business. I'll try making a list and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice!!

I had a postal clerk ask me if the economy has effected my business..."I bet it has" she said. I pointed to the FOUR host packets that I was sending out that day and said...nope. Business is as good as ever!

With the gas prices down:love:, the economy is affecting those that have lost jobs, invested in the stock market or purchased a house they could not afford.

Today I heard someone saying that the hourly cost with benefits to build a GM, Ford or Dodge is $71 per hour. For Toyota, it is $47 per hour with benefits. These are all factories in the US. Also, CEO benefits, bonuses and perks are out of control. It does have to be dealt with, but it does not affect everyone in a large manner unless they are in an area where there is a car plant.

I think with so many news channels now, we are all convinced that we are going to fall off the edge of the earth tomorrow. Does the country have a problem? You bet, but I really think this is another quick excuse for someone not to have a party. It sounds better than, "I changed my mind" or "I don't feel like putting the effort into it."

baychef said:
I had a postal clerk ask me if the economy has effected my business..."I bet it has" she said. I pointed to the FOUR host packets that I was sending out that day and said...nope. Business is as good as ever!

With the gas prices down:love:, the economy is affecting those that have lost jobs, invested in the stock market or purchased a house they could not afford.

Today I heard someone saying that the hourly cost with benefits to build a GM, Ford or Dodge is $71 per hour. For Toyota, it is $47 per hour with benefits. These are all factories in the US. Also, CEO benefits, bonuses and perks are out of control. It does have to be dealt with, but it does not affect everyone in a large manner unless they are in an area where there is a car plant.

I think with so many news channels now, we are all convinced that we are going to fall off the edge of the earth tomorrow. Does the country have a problem? You bet, but I really think this is another quick excuse for someone not to have a party. It sounds better than, "I changed my mind" or "I don't feel like putting the effort into it."

I agree - I think this is what it is....the economy just makes for a convenient excuse. Not for all, because I live in a state (not just a city) where the economy hinges on the Auto Industry....but for some, I think it is definitely excuse.

baychef said:

I absolutely agree with every word that you posted.

In my area, Maryland [major cities are DC, Balt, Annapolis, Richmond - all about 2 hours away] I have yet to find ONE person who has lost their job, one person who has lost their home, ONE person who is TRULY struggling to make ends meet because of the economy. If someone is finding it tough to get through till the next payday, it can usually boil down to them making some really dumb decisions or making illogical purchases, or that they were vulnerable in the first place by not having a good job. Again....I'm only talking about what I'm familiar with in my own immediate area, and my own wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

It's shameful that the media has planted the seed deep in our heads that the world is going to end because of the economy. The media is the one driving the hysteria, I believe.

I still buy things that I need and want, without thought to "the economy". I've already got my luxurious vacation booked for next year, and I'm contemplating a new auto purchase. Maybe in my world, things really are different than in other parts of the country. I don't know.....maybe I do have my head in the clouds.

I am getting that excuse as well. Down here we just had a bunch of lay offs at the auto plant and it is rippling.

I have been telling people that with the economy the way it is right now, more people are cooking at home so they need stuff to cook with and then tell them all the other benefits.

While the economy is an issue---like Nat said, you need good kitchen tools to eat home more, and eat out less.

It could be worse, you could be selling candles or jewelry, neither of which I would buy if I was struggling in today's economy. How can consultants justify selling those?? At least with PC we can explain about family dinner time and sharing an easy at home meal.

I have other direct sales people I know (not PC) talking about the economy and know one wanting to buy at their booths. I'm sure that some may be true, but I have actually sold MORE this year without really going after it. Kitchen stuff is just more versatile. It doesn't depend on the trends going on and it's actually higher quality than the cheap stuff at discount stores. That matters in the kitchen. Does it matter with the stuff hanging on your wall? Maybe not. I tell my hosts, get Christmas gifts by having a show! If they are stressed about money, don't they deserve (and their friends too) a night out having fun? They don't have to spend or they can combine their orders if they want, especially if it's on things without a big order and they aren't spending much.I also am sure to tell hosts that people that aren't buying can book a show (or show a book) and they'd get that host special!I feel very blessed to have PC as my business. If I were selling something that was more of a luxury (and yes, SOME of our things are), I would be more concerned. But I know that if someone can buy something that makes cooking a little easier or more fun, they may cook at home more, which is healthier and cheaper!

I live in the same area you do (I am in Cedar Lake) and I have had 2 cancellations in the last 2 weeks, hoiwever, I have also closed 3 shows this week, 2 at $800, and a $1400 catalog show, so I know that the business is out there. Maybe try to find a different circle.

Well, here in California it has hit us big time. I'm finding that shows aren't cancelling, but attendance is way down, and people are spending way less per order. My december is non existent, but January I already have 3 shows, so we will see. I think people are listening to the news too much and panicking.

In my area the economy is a real concern. One local plant is shutting down at the end of this year leaving its 10,000 employees without jobs. Several automobile plants have shut down within the past year with the 2 that are left shutting down within the next 6 months leaving many more unemployed. The check cashing industry was also hit by new legislation causing many of those businesses to shut down and leave approximately 6000 more unemployed. How is this affecting my business? I'm still booking shows because my hosts want to earn free products. People are cooking at home more so they are buying products to make that easier. I have noticed smaller orders from some but they usually book a show so that they can earn the things they really want but can't afford. I think that some people use the economy as an excuse when they really just change their mind about having a show. Others may be legitimately concerned that their friends do not have the money to spend but usually when I tell them that I can do budget friendly recipes and their friends do not have to buy if they can't afford it they come around and realize that people won't spend money they don't have.

I just wanna add too that, the way the economy is going right now is actually the reason why we want to recruit as much as possible!!! It's almost like in the WW when all the women decided to go work in the plants.
That's kinda where my train of thought's been going with all the news I've been seeing/hearing.... LOLI think it's ironic how people use that as an excuse!

I know I live in the UK, so it may be different for us. But our news is also full of doom and gloom, recession this and 'credit crunch' that.Well I just got home from my highest every cooking show over £680 which is double my show average!! Nobody had any quibbles about buying stuff for themselves, or as gifts.If people use the economy as an excuse not to book a show, it's just that an excuse like "my house is too small" or "I have no friends". They just don't want a show! Bookings should be up if the economy is down as people will want more free stuff!

I had a show a couple months ago and one lady didn't order anything as she had tight finances, but she booked a party and invited her friends and got free PC!! Our gas prices are $2.59, so I'm jealous of you folks in Texas!

baychef said:

were you at my post office the other day? LOL
Same thing happened to me. ANd she answered her own question when she saw my stack, "you're doing very well aren't you?". Now she's checking her calendar for a January show and she's on my radar as one of my next team members.

amy07 said:
were you at my post office the other day? LOL
Same thing happened to me. ANd she answered her own question when she saw my stack, "you're doing very well aren't you?". Now she's checking her calendar for a January show and she's on my radar as one of my next team members.

If she's on your radar, then it's as good as done!:thumbup:

janej76 said:
I know I live in the UK, so it may be different for us. But our news is also full of doom and gloom, recession this and 'credit crunch' that.

Well I just got home from my highest every cooking show over £680 which is double my show average!! Nobody had any quibbles about buying stuff for themselves, or as gifts.

If people use the economy as an excuse not to book a show, it's just that an excuse like "my house is too small" or "I have no friends". They just don't want a show! Bookings should be up if the economy is down as people will want more free stuff!

Congratulations Jane on your highest ever cooking show!:sing:

pamperedharriet said:
Congratulations Jane on your highest ever cooking show!:sing:

Thanks - and it's gone up to over £700 now as the host's sister added an order on! I've hit level 1 of SAT with just 2 shows!

I love Pampered Chef :0

I am in Michigan (born and raised) and almost everyone here makes their living around the auto industry either directly or indirectly. After Rhode Island, we have the highest unemployment rate in the country (8.7%). That certainly creates an obstacle to booking shows and recruiting, but that doesn't mean it has to be a death sentence. December is usually one of my best months. There are so many objections to hosting in December, the big one being that December is too busy. No, the last two weeks of December are quite busy. I tell my show guests that they need to book within the first two weeks when people aren't busy and that also guarantees the products will arrive by Christmas. I also tell them that I won't book shows on the weekends because people would rather be home getting decorating, wrapping or shopping out of the way. If they book on the weekday, people generally aren't that busy. Also, wouldn't they rather shop from their seat not on their feet fighting crowds at the mall!

To offset cancellations due to the economy, you can offer 'clinics' instead of shows. Several folks in my cluster are doing 'stoneware clinics' this month. Another is offering a 'pampered chef power cooking clinic'. It helps hosts and guests realize the focus is on helping them vs selling to them. Once they understand the true versatility and value of the product, the sales are still there. :)

The idea of a clinic vs show sounds interesting. I also saw a "Recipe Testing" sort of concept in another thread they were using for a holiday open-house.I think the areas with the big job-cuts, are going to be tough. But for the cost of one meal out in a month, that's the average PC order. And least you won't P**P and flush away your Pampered Chef products! (That's what my director said- not me! but it's too funny and true!). Restaurants certainly seem plenty full.I'm also going to try the recruiting. I know several friends who would be good candidates...and with the current deal for recruits to get product credit, I'm going to TRY. I haven't enough experience yet to have cancellations, etc.

I really have a problem with the word "show" for some reason. Many of my friends just groan when I talk about "having a show" - it's so "HOME PARTY GIRL".

So, I started calling my shows, "classes". I then had a Director ask me - "Which would you rather go to - "a class or a party"? So, to try and appease my need to get away from that stereotype - here is how I list it on my card. (see attached)

When I explain that I teach them how to prepare quick meals for less money that are still really delicious - they seem to be more interested. So I am hoping my card will appeal to different needs.

Hope this helps someone...

Attachments

• business card.jpg
    business card.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 403
Tara I agree with the show wording. I like to say I have cooking Demonstrations not shows, and so far I have had good responses with it.

Tara,
I love your idea...so do you put that on the back of your business cards or just hand it out as a separate card? I have someone that I'm doing a cooking class for in Jan because her and her friends have a hard time coming up with quick and easy meals. I told the host that was fine if she wanted to consider it a class instead of a show. I love the products and want to help people any way that I can.

Not to be a negative nelly but....
DH finds out this week if he looses his job. It may be a permanent lay off or maybe (hopefully) just temporary. I know that for us we are doing ok right now but anything we have "extra" we are sitting on. If he were to lose his job we would at least like to know that we put enough away to feed our children untill he is able to recieve un-employment benifits. We all know that my $7/hr. part-time job takes more away from my business than I would like but right now I have to focus on that steady money. I guess what I'm saying is that just because you don't know anyone that has personally been affected by the economy doesn't mean that it might not be a possibility. Don't be so quick to judge. I know that I will not have a party for anyone right now b/c I don't want to ask any of my friends to spend their money. It's just a situation I would rather avoid. It is getting really bad in some parts of the country so maybe don't think of it as an excuse, try to be sympathetic and positive.

Please don't take offense to any of this. I'm not directing my statements at anyone, this is just my rant about the economy.:eek:

buckeyefan08 said:
DH finds out this week if he looses his job. It may be a permanent lay off or maybe (hopefully) just temporary. I know that for us we are doing ok right now but anything we have "extra" we are sitting on. If he were to lose his job we would at least like to know that we put enough away to feed our children untill he is able to recieve un-employment benifits. We all know that my $7/hr. part-time job takes more away from my business than I would like but right now I have to focus on that steady money. I guess what I'm saying is that just because you don't know anyone that has personally been affected by the economy doesn't mean that it might not be a possibility. Don't be so quick to judge. I know that I will not have a party for anyone right now b/c I don't want to ask any of my friends to spend their money. It's just a situation I would rather avoid. It is getting really bad in some parts of the country so maybe don't think of it as an excuse, try to be sympathetic and positive.

Please don't take offense to any of this. I'm not directing my statements at anyone, this is just my rant about the economy.:eek:

Honey, I don't think anyone would take your post offensively, you are living what others are living as well so you have the "other perspective"...Nothing negative or wrong w/ that!

Good luck to your husband..I know for MY Dh's company, they just sent out a memo last week that they are cutting out all company expenditures, no xmas party, no OT allowed, etc. They are trying to do this so they don't HAVE to let anyone go. My hubs works for an aerospace division so they are feeling the pinch that no airlines are ordering new planes for next year. Hopefully we are not going to be in the same position as so many but WE WILL ALL SURVIVE and get through this.

Sorry for the hijack...

buckeyefan08 said:

No offense taken at all. Great point too! There are surely job layoffs and parts of the country where there are more dire straits...no question about it. Good luck with your situation too. My prayers are with you and your family. No question that the auto industry may be taking a hard hit and it will ripple down to more that just jobs lost at the auto factories.

I think we all have to judge what is going on in areas we live in. Also, taking the positive spins that have been mentioning here too...like recruiting. Scottie Brister promoted two levels after Hurricane Katrina hit. She offered the business opportunity for all those that are out of work and it worked for her.

I have a consultant that just told me they were having a hard time booking parties. We talked about it and we are in an area that is not heavily populated, but our area is not hit with foreclosures and businesses closing. We are actually building...slowly but still growing. I shared with this consultant that just 3 team members did $15,200 in sales last month. This wasn't counting others on the team. This consultant has a full time job and I know that the people they are talking to are not any where near dire straits so I do believe that they are making excuses.

A few years back when things were booming, the media reported how good the economy was, etc. In our area at the time, it was far from booming. When listening to the media, they tend to put "the county" all in one basket and it is not that way in all areas.

Related to Debunking the "Economy" Excuse: Cooking Delicious Meals on a Budget

1. How can I convince my Hosts that people are still interested in cooking and saving money despite the economy?

Although the economy may be tough for some, people still need to eat and are always looking for ways to save money. In fact, cooking at home can be a great way to save money compared to eating out. You can also suggest that your Hosts focus on showing budget-friendly recipes and tips for stretching ingredients.

2. What can I do if my Host wants to cancel their show because of the economy?

First, try to understand their concerns and offer solutions. For example, you can suggest a catalog show where the Host can still earn rewards without having to host a physical event. You can also offer to help them plan a show with budget-friendly recipes and tips to attract more guests.

3. Are there any specific recipes or tips that are popular among those looking to save money?

Yes, there are many budget-friendly recipes and tips that can be a hit with your Hosts' guests. Some ideas include one-pot meals, using affordable ingredients like beans and rice, and meal prepping to save time and money. You can also showcase tools from Pampered Chef that make cooking at home more efficient and cost-effective.

4. How can I address the misconception that people can't afford to buy products from Pampered Chef during tough economic times?

Remind your Hosts that Pampered Chef offers high-quality products at a range of price points. You can also emphasize the value and durability of our products, which can save money in the long run compared to constantly replacing cheaper, lower-quality items. Additionally, you can offer payment plans or bundle deals to make purchasing more accessible for those on a budget.

5. Can I use the current economic climate as a selling point for Pampered Chef products?

Yes, you can! In fact, this is a great opportunity to show how Pampered Chef products can help people save money and cook delicious meals at home. You can also highlight how our products can make meal prep and cooking easier and more efficient, which can be a huge help for busy families looking to save time and money.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedcheermom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
wendychef
Replies
Views
Jessie Jolly
  • Gypsy Rose
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies