• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Sales Slumps: Tips and Support for Maintaining a Positive Attitude

In summary, the conversation revolves around a group of individuals experiencing a slump in their direct sales businesses. They discuss cancellations, difficulties with potential hosts, and feeling discouraged. One person offers advice to stay positive and keep going, while another jokes about becoming a comedian. They also mention upcoming events and plans for their businesses.
chefshelley59
Hi all, I don't usually post, but I do come to read and get ideas...that I must say thank you so much for. When I come on here and read, I get what I'm not getting from training, etc. In all my years of direct sales I have never had a week like this one. Everyone (family and people at work) have said to me "the economy, the economy-no one wants to have shows right now" and I kept telling them no, my shows are doing great, getting bookings, etc. Well, I do shows for PC and another company and I have just had one cancellation after another this week! I started to feel like I'm doing something wrong, it was all of a sudden. I have one host that has not returned my calls, at all. I've read about that on here but have never experienced it, it's awful. If she wants to cancel, fine, but do it NOW, is she waiting for the day of the party? I have never gone through this, is anyone else feeling it? I'm hoping it's just a slump week and it'll pass. Now I have to recoup the bookings for the days I reserved for these people. I just feel my positive attitude flying out the window and I'm concerned. I need some pep talk, someone to say it WILL pass and it'll be okay. Does anyone have websites that they go to for some positive attitude talk? I like Jeffrey Gitomer but it's just not doin it for me today. I have planned a HWC fundraiser for the end of the month, flyers and post cards everywhere, now I'm so concerned it's going to be a flop. :cry: Chelle

Yes, it will pass hang in there :) You are not alone :)
I am in a big slump coming off a great March and April. I have had a string of cancellations, ditzy hosts and just plain rude people.
I was feeling really down, but I got some really good advice from this site and I went to our regional meeting today with Linda Bowles and it was amazing, I feel very motivated now. Don't let these people get you down, tomorrow is a new day and just keep on going :)

Hi Shelly,

My 30 days are ending Friday and I've had a pretty good run so far...I thought June would be great too with 5 bookings. I've been calling the 5 potential hosts for the past 2 weeks and no one will pick up their phone or return my messages! I would much rather have a "no" then an ongoing to-do list with these people. I also had my potential recruit say it wasn't the right time for her and my catalog show (which would have been my 8th show and pushed me over the $2500 for 30-days) say that no one would buy...wrong time, not now, etc.

So, I just wanted to let you know that I'm in this with you. : ) Comisserate and then we'll celebrate when things start to turn around, as they will for sure. : )

Here's the best advice I can give you.... Actually I'm feeling really sweet, so I'll give you two pieces of really good advice.

#1- The world is FULL of idiots. If you forget...they'll remind you!

#2- Everything will be okay in the end. If everything isn't okay, it isn't the end!

Hold the applause, I'm here all week! :) LOL

Ha Ha Kacey, so true :)

((Hugs))I've had a discouraging week too ... Chronically Busy Host won't return my calls (she is sweet, just busy with two young kids) my three business pamperings were a bust, and all of this comes at a time when my "job job" has hit me with an income cut, so I NEED to step up my game.I have four festivals on the horizon, including the flea market I'm working this weekend ... so I am hopeful.

merego said:
Ha Ha Kacey, so true :)

See, I can be useful on the business related threads. I'm not just all fun and games people! ;)

Kitchen Diva said:
See, I can be useful on the business related threads. I'm not just all fun and games people! ;)

maybe you should consider a career in comedy??? :D

merego said:
maybe you should consider a career in comedy??? :D

I was going to, but no one will hire a sit-down comedian. There just isn't a market for us. It's so discouraging to let all this talent go to waste!:D

Kitchen Diva said:
I was going to, but no one will hire a sit-down comedian. There just isn't a market for us. It's so discouraging to let all this talent go to waste!:D

You could start a new trend!! It could be all the rage!! Look me and my!!!!
ay carumba:D

You have a point, Meredith!:)

I'll have my people call your people :)

Oooo, you have people? If I lost weight, I'd have people. Half my body is at least worth ONE Paris Hilton!

My SIL lives in LA and has introduced me to people
( she really knows people has been on the red carpet), so yes I do know people, they may not remember me though :( I like to think I am a person worth remembering, but that is just me. Wiat, I do have people, 2 little people that hang on my leg all day and say mommy, mommy, mommy

merego said:
My SIL lives in LA and has introduced me to people
( she really knows people has been on the red carpet), so yes I do know people, they may not remember me though :( I like to think I am a person worth remembering, but that is just me. Wiat, I do have people, 2 little people that hang on my leg all day and say mommy, mommy, mommy

Thsoe are the best kind of people!~ :)

they are ( sometimes~ ha ha) :)
They are sweet little people who think I am the BEST!!!!
Then they grow up, turn 15 and think you I am the biggest dork ever!!!! Having kids with that big of an age gap ( 15, 2, 1)... don't recommend it~ ha ha

A bit of good news...I finally got a hold of one of the ladies. She is determined to make her catalogue show reach $400, so at least that is taken care of. Then I had my Tues. night host stop by with another $200 or so in orders which brought her close to $425! I'm only $300 and 1 show away from another $200 in PC money...where am I going to find that last show to close by Friday? Any ideas?

Di_Can_Cook said:
((Hugs))

I've had a discouraging week too ... Chronically Busy Host won't return my calls (she is sweet, just busy with two young kids) my three business pamperings were a bust, and all of this comes at a time when my "job job" has hit me with an income cut, so I NEED to step up my game.

I have four festivals on the horizon, including the flea market I'm working this weekend ... so I am hopeful.

That is a concern of mine, too. My fiances income is slowly getting smaller and smaller. I feel pretty secure in my 9-5 job right now (I work at the welfare office, we are very busy), he works for Schwan's and he has definitely seen a cut in his pay recently. Normally I don't rely so much on my shows, it has always been "great extra income". I am doing my own HWC fundraiser and I have a few community day events coming up in June, I'm hoping that will give me a boost.
I think if my host for Sunday doesn't call today I'll stop by her work "concerned", which I am. It is such a waste of everyones time when someone repeatedly doesn't call back.

thedancingchef said:
Hi Shelly,

I would much rather have a "no" then an ongoing to-do list with these people. I also had my potential recruit say it wasn't the right time for her and my catalog show (which would have been my 8th show and pushed me over the $2500 for 30-days) say that no one would buy...wrong time, not now, etc.

So, I just wanted to let you know that I'm in this with you. : ) Comisserate and then we'll celebrate when things start to turn around, as they will for sure. : )

My to-do list has had the same names under people to call, too. And I had two people cancel because they are afraid that showers, graduations, etc are going to get in the way...like all of those parties are happening on the same day - the day they happened to pick???

People are still buying. Two weeks ago I had a great show, left the show to go somewhere else and sold while I was there (not even at a show). I think we have to maybe focus on the "fun" not the buying...get people's minds off of the buying part of it and really push how much fun we are going to have. (I'm sort of walking myself through this out loud). I have always had such a good attitude even when someone reschedules, but getting hit like this has squashed me....I guess I'm letting it squash me. I'm taking a Jack Canfield book with me to work today, going to try to set some fire back in me.

Focus on the fun :balloon:

Focus on the fun. Focus on the fun. It's going to be my mantra this week! It is fun. If we have fun, they have fun, they want to host a show, we benefit with more orders. I've been so exhasted this week (new pregnancy along with 3 kids under 4 running around) I've been stressing over things that shouldn't bother me. And somethings that should be stressing me out slip right by. Weird.

Like on Tuesday, I showed up at my party and asked if I could help the host gather the ingredients. She just looked at me with a blank look and said "I thought I only needed the ground beef cooked". We were making the Deluxe cheeseburger salad and she only had the beef. Oops. Luckily, I had shown up early enough and ran to the grocery store 10 minutes away and got the rest of the stuff. I still got back and prepared before anyone showed up. I didn't stress at all.

These 4 no call-back ladies though are driving me crazy though. One lady I finally got on the phone won't stop talking until I've had at least an hour long conversation with her each time. She's doing a catalog show for me now and wants to start up a big fundraiser for next month with her team of 20 breast cancer walk ladies. So I need to stay in contact with her...the joys of the telephone. : p

Okay, I feel better that I've vented. I have 12 hours to come up with $300 more in orders any ideas?

My Host for Sunday "text" me today...she is going to call me tomorrow...? :rolleyes: We shall see.

chefshelley59 said:
My Host for Sunday "text" me today...she is going to call me tomorrow...? :rolleyes: We shall see.

good luck :) I have ( am supposed to have) a party on Thursday, this is the 7th time she has rescheduled since March. She has not returned any of my calls. I have given her an out everytime not to do the party and she never takes it. I am so over her!!!!:mad:

The sun came out! (not literally, it was actually a dreary day...) I just submitted my 8th show at $325! And I had a lady call ME to book a show (promises to be really big) and the sister of the lady I had my last show with call and book a show too! Yeah!

Happy Happy! Have fun! It will always turn around again! : )

Well, my host cancelled for today, she "text" me yesterday to tell me. I'm going out and setting up at a Panera to collect orders to make up for my loss..expected to be working today anyways.
I've caught myself mentioning PC in every conversation lately. I would like to get to the point that I can quit my 9-5, I know it's possible it's just hard getting to that point when 40 hours of my week are sucked up sitting at a desk with a constant flow of people in front of me. Then you get a couple weeks of missing hosts and cancellations, boy does that put a damper on your attitude.
Hopefully Panera will pull through for me again.:cool:
Happy Memorial Day weekend all! Hope everyone has a good "contact" weekend with everyone we will be seeing.

What exactly do you do when you set-up at Panera?? We just got a Panera here and would be a great place for me to get contacts!!

Went to Panera, only got $145 in orders but booked "4 shows" for June...I'm happy with that. The one I went to today doesn't have a VIP room so they will allow you to come in and set up your own table. I just do a nice display and a drawing and then just start talking to people. You kind of just have to jump out there and do it, whatever you get from it is more than you had the day before. Sometimes the orders are great sometimes average. I'm real pleased with four shows, though, I would have been happy with just that. One lady said she contacted the company twice and only received one email from a consultant, no one ever called her or got in touch again. The email said for her to call the consultant if she wanted anything! She is having her show at their "clubhouse" in the (real nice) housing complex she lives in. All four ladies are brand new contacts, a whole new group of people....I'm excited.

KellARooni said:
What exactly do you do when you set-up at Panera?? We just got a Panera here and would be a great place for me to get contacts!!

Just make sure you ask what Panera expects of you. Some expect you to spend at least $50, now if you have guests come who purchase food, they can put that towards your total. Some will say that and not stick to the $50. The one I was at today did not expect me to even make a purchase, but I did get a cookie tray...that got completely eaten.lol

What all do you take with you to Panera? I live in the Panera birthplace (here we call it St. Louis Bread Company), and had no idea you could do that. I would love to do it though. Thanks!

Don't worry, it's not you! We all have those months. Last May was my worst month. I had multiple shows cancel for the same reason. This May is my 2nd highest month ever! My best advice would be to start sending your invites for your hosts if you are not already. I was against doing this for the longest time. Didn't think I had the time or money to do so. Well, January and February I had a couple shows that canceled, both within a day or two of the show, two from the same host who rescheduled from the previous month. I put my foot down and decided to make a change in my business. When someone books a show, they get my "starter" packet. It comes with the Show Time flyer, a letter I found off here explaining my show, a guest list, a SASE and a catalog that I put a sticker on to write "Ann's Catalog" on. I tell them to get me the guest list back with in 3-4 days. When I get their guest list, they get their host packet. This way I'm not out host packets, catalogs, printing OOFs and specials, etc. I don't mind having to mail them or I can run them to hosts if they live close. This has changed my business. The only issue I've had so far since March is my show next Saturday. I have not received the guest list back and cannot get a hold of the host so I pretty much now not to count on this show. I will continue to try to get a hold of her as I can but for right now I'm not too worried about it. This has helped out so much! I know when the invites went out, that they went out and how many people they invited. I had a couple shows last year that told me the day before the show that they never sent their invites! They couldn't have told me two weeks ago when they didn't send their invites that they didn't want to host!

And don't let this get you down, it's nothing you did wrong!

Kattyschack said:
What all do you take with you to Panera? I live in the Panera birthplace (here we call it St. Louis Bread Company), and had no idea you could do that. I would love to do it though. Thanks!

I just take a small table display, a little out of each category, and I try to choose some more popular items or go with the season. Like the collapsible bowl is great to demo there, you don't have to have food in it and there are still alot of people who have not yet seen it. I did my drawing with a corn butterer and two packs of corn cob nobs, just something small. Some have table space they will let you use, some say to bring a table, and some have a VIP room that you can set up in. Sometimes I use balloons and signs if I'm in the VIP room, to draw attention to where I am. Some will expect you to spend a certain amount on food and drink, some expect nothing. You really have to check with the one you are in. I usually try to give a little something to the manager too, to make it worth their time for having me there. We have come across one that will not let us come in, so you have to check with the manager first. Most of them love to let direct sales in because it brings them business.

WOW! I never even would have thought of that. I'm gonna go find some and try and see if the Manager will let me set up! Thanks! I'll let you know if I have any luck!

Also, how much advance notice have you needed? With the one you go to normally do you just have a running agreement to go anytime, do they let other vendors come in whenever, or do you have to schedule this in advance? Also, what do you do (besides balloons) to draw people to your table? Since they are coming to the restaurant to eat most aren't looking to book a show or anything. Please share!

The one I use more regularly you have to book in advance, they get very busy and yes, other vendors go there often and use the room. The one I went to yesterday, they are not as busy and I talked to them last minute and it was fine. The one with the VIP room I have tried to book within two weeks and it's tough to get the day and times you want, I usually try to call within 3-4 weeks of when I need it.
I started going there with the "other" company I do shows with, that's how I got the idea. With that company we can set up practically anywhere and sell...so we do. So, I thought why not with Pampered Chef too. You can't really do a cooking demo but you can do simple demos. People will come right over to the table. I just move around alot and smile at everyone and if they get close enough to me I start a conversation.

What are some tips for maintaining a positive attitude during a sales slump?

1. Focus on the positive: Instead of dwelling on the cancellations and rejections, focus on the successes you have had and the potential for future bookings.

2. Stay motivated: Surround yourself with positive and motivated people, read books or listen to podcasts that inspire you, and find ways to stay motivated and energized.

3. Keep a positive mindset: Remember that a sales slump is temporary and does not define your abilities as a salesperson. Stay optimistic and believe in your skills and potential for success.

4. Analyze your strategies: Take a step back and evaluate your sales strategies. Are there areas where you can improve or try new approaches? Use this time to make adjustments and continue learning.

5. Take care of yourself: Make sure you are taking care of your physical and mental well-being during a sales slump. Exercise, eat well, and take breaks when needed to maintain a positive attitude.

How can I handle a host who is not responding to my calls?

If your host is not responding to your calls, it is important to remain professional and keep trying to reach them. However, if they continue to ignore you, it may be best to move on and focus on other potential bookings. You can also try reaching out through different methods such as email or social media.

How can I overcome a sudden decrease in bookings?

First, remember that this is likely a temporary slump and not a reflection of your abilities. Use this time to review your sales strategies and make any necessary adjustments. You can also reach out to past customers and offer them special incentives or promotions to encourage them to host a party or place an order. Additionally, focus on networking and building new relationships to generate more bookings.

Are there any helpful websites for maintaining a positive attitude in sales?

There are many websites and resources available for maintaining a positive attitude in sales. Some popular options include the Sales Gravy website, the Jeffrey Gitomer website, and the Sales Hacker website. You can also find inspiration and motivation through podcasts, TED talks, and books on sales and personal development.

How can I ensure the success of a fundraising event during a sales slump?

To ensure the success of a fundraising event during a sales slump, it is important to promote it effectively and offer unique and appealing incentives for attendees. Utilize social media and other marketing channels to spread the word and encourage attendance. You can also partner with other local businesses or organizations to increase awareness and attract more attendees. Lastly, make sure to provide a positive and engaging experience for attendees to encourage future participation and support.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• K.Shaffer
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
clshirk
  • cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
cheflorraine
  • ChefinHarmony