• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Any Tips for Cheap Rates on Hotels and Traveling at a Conference?

In summary, you will want to stay at one of the PC conference hotels, and the rates are set through our group travel dept. There is no "traveling" cost other than getting yourself to Chicago, then from the airport to the hotel and back again. Be sure to room with 3 other gals - splitting the room costs helps a lot.
ameliasurf
anyone have any tips on cheap rates on hotels and traveling or good places to eat while at conference?

Well, Pampered Chef basically picks 2 hotels that I think most stay at - but I am sure you can stay elsewhere -

Good eats? hmmm - we have been to Bubba Gumps on the pier, we went to eat a the Kerryman Restaurant also - I have a good friend who lives in the city and he will basically give me a list if you tell me what you are looking for specifically -

i like mom and pop places

My upline is booking the hotels and since I've never been to conference I'm doing what she tells me! LOL :) Just kidding. I LOVE my upline & her hospitality cluster, my team, my hospitality cluster, etc. so I have a ton of people to see and more learning then ever!!! I"M SO EXCITED!!!!

You only have one night where dinner is on your own, the rest of the meals are taken care of. Our cluster usually does a dinner together that night, so yours might as well. It's easiest to stay at a conference hotel and the rates are set through our group travel dept.There is really no "traveling" cost other than getting yourself to Chicago, then from the airport to the hotel and back again, unless you go out and about in the city. Then public transportation or a cab is easiest.

Be sure to room with 3 other gals -- splitting the room costs helps a lot. Hook up with others from PC to share a ride from the airport to the hotel, too. There's a grocery store diagonally across from the Sheraton - we go there for water and stuff...

ameliasurf said:
anyone have any tips on cheap rates on hotels and traveling or good places to eat while at conference?

You will want to stay at one of the conference hotels, because PC uses shuttle buses from those hotels to the conference center. It would be alot of hard work and time getting yourself from a different hotel to the conference center - plus, the shuttles run pretty much continuously, so if you need to go back to your hotel, you can at any time.

If you don't have others from your cluster going - you can always post on here that you need roommates. That is a good way to fill a room! And, I think at the Hilton last year, for 2 nights, with 3 of us in the room, it was $125 each.

There was a neat Diner a block or two from the Hilton. I can't think of the name, but they were a lot of fun. The would announce to everyone when another group of PCer's arrived. I think the number 11 was in the name, but I really don't remember. I'll have to see if I can find the exact name.

Bubba Gumps is worth going to also. The food was really good and I don't even like seafood all that much. It was a memorable experience.

We tried to use as many forms of public transportation as possible. We did the L, the free trolley, the regular trolley, cabs, buses, and lots of walking! It was fun experiencing all of the ways to get around. We'll be pro's this year! :p

There's a Walgreens very close to the Sheraton (for snacks & bottled water), also across the street is the NBC building & they have a restaurant on the main floor that is pretty inexpensive. Last year our cluster went to Giordano's pizza which is great--you have to experience Chicago pizza! We also went to the Grand Lux to eat lunch (my director's fave). It's on Michigan Ave, above some clothing store (can't remember which one); it's such a pretty place & the lunch prices weren't bad at all. 2 years ago when we stayed at the Palmer Hilton, there was a good bistro around the corner that was inexpensive & good for breakfast & lunch.

The Corner Bakery restaurants are all over the place - and last year, JAE and I had THE BEST sandwich from there! They have great prices, and judging from that sandwich, I would say great food too! There is one right by the Palmer Hilton, and also one really close to the Downtown Hilton.

Corner Bakery

We had the California Grille Panini. I start to drool just thinking about that sandwich.....yummmmm!

Yes, that's the one Becky!

lacychef said:
Yes, that's the one Becky!

One of my goals for Conference this year is to go back there for another California Grille Sandwich!:D

It's so important to have small goals.........and it's the little things that make us the happiest.

i bought a one way ticket to chicago on cheaptickets.com because I will be at a wedding in Baltimore the night before. It was $106 plus tax. Haven't booked the trip home yet.

The corner bakery looks like an Atlanta Bread...is it similiar??

The Grand Lux is awesome and the portions are huge. If you have a taste for a good burger I would recommend Boston Blackies. It is right off Michigan (somewhere!).

I checked with HO and they said the hotels are....Palmer House Hilton, Sheraton and Hilton like last year. I usually book air and hotels for our cluster and it really works out well for us when we take the EL from the airport and have 3-4 to a room. We like to cut costs too, unfortunatly the cost of air doesn't usually go down enough for us till May but I check everyday till we get a good one [under 300 with tax and all]. Hope to see you all there.

What airport are you guys arriving at in Chicago? Is it the O'Hare Airport or the other one?

From what i have seen Midway is much cheaper.

ChefBeckyD said:
The Corner Bakery restaurants are all over the place - and last year, JAE and I had THE BEST sandwich from there! They have great prices, and judging from that sandwich, I would say great food too! There is one right by the Palmer Hilton, and also one really close to the Downtown Hilton.

Corner Bakery

We had the California Grille Panini. I start to drool just thinking about that sandwich.....yummmmm!

Oh my gosh, the rueben from there is amazing! I get it EVERY time I go to conference and really look forward to it! And I LOVE the Palmer house, I've stayed there twice and would go back again and again... although last summer it was under construction, but that was ok... it's just so close to everything (especially the shopping!) and did I mention SHOE STORE! :)

Kodeysmom said:
From what i have seen Midway is much cheaper.

Really? Thank you!!

ted122781 said:
What airport are you guys arriving at in Chicago? Is it the O'Hare Airport or the other one?

Many of my cluster mates and sister cluster mates are fortunate to be flying via Skybus into Gary, Indiana. My ticket was $52 round trip, including priority seating. Greensboro, NC is one of Skybus' hubs.

Bren706 said:
Many of my cluster mates and sister cluster mates are fortunate to be flying via Skybus into Gary, Indiana. My ticket was $52 round trip, including priority seating. Greensboro, NC is one of Skybus' hubs.
Did your flight get changed with the recent cutting of flights? My DH is doing a 2 leg flight on 7/16 and both flights were cancelled. They offered him later in the day flights which luckly work for him.

Also, be sure to arrange your transportation from Gary ahead of time. The skybus website gives you the options and phone numbers to call.

Yes, I did get notification of changes in the flights for both Sunday and Wednesday! UGH! My director's sister clustermate who she shares her meeting with usually makes the arrangement from and to the airport. Last year we took 2 limos, with seven of us in each one, which was about $10 a piece.

You might want to check directly with the airlines serving your area.My director found a $139 fare at Southwest ... $59 each way plus fees. I was only able to match it by going directly to their site .... Went to Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire ... Hotwire was the only one who could find a $139 fare, and that was by flying into Ohare! (Is that what ORD is?)

Di_Can_Cook said:
You might want to check directly with the airlines serving your area.

My director found a $139 fare at Southwest ... $59 each way plus fees. I was only able to match it by going directly to their site .... Went to Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire ... Hotwire was the only one who could find a $139 fare, and that was by flying into Ohare! (Is that what ORD is?)

ORD is O'hare
MDW is Midway

Bubba Gumps is what I look forward to every year! We also found the corner bakery that had full breakfast too, at very low prices. Walgreens water and snacks and t-shirts to bring home, great deals.

Airfare. My friend and I bought rapid rewards tickets from someone on Craigslist. $275 each. Sounds like a lot compared to some of you, but we're traveling across the country from Oregon. Prices have not been below $400. We ordered Chicago pizza delivered to our hotel the first year. It was awesome!! I printed a coupon online before I left.

If you stay at the Sheraton or near there, there is a great non-chain breakfast/lunch place call "The West Egg". Phenominal breakfasts! They serve mostly eggs and chicken! What a hoot - or is that a cluck.

breakfast
chesse said:
If you stay at the Sheraton or near there, there is a great non-chain breakfast/lunch place call "The West Egg". Phenominal breakfasts! They serve mostly eggs and chicken! What a hoot - or is that a cluck.

You're right. The West Egg was a great place. I was trying to remember it's name.

What are some ways to save money on travel plans?

1. Book in advance: The earlier you book your flights, accommodations, and activities, the more likely you are to get a cheaper rate.

2. Be flexible with dates and destinations: Consider traveling during off-peak seasons and to less popular destinations for cheaper rates.

3. Use travel reward programs: Take advantage of credit card points, airline miles, and hotel loyalty programs to save on future trips.

4. Compare prices: Use online booking websites to compare prices for flights, hotels, and rental cars to ensure you are getting the best deal.

5. Consider all-inclusive packages: These packages can often save you money on accommodations, meals, and activities compared to booking everything separately.

What are some tips for finding cheap flights?

1. Use incognito mode: Some airlines may track your search history and increase prices if they see high demand for a particular flight.

2. Be flexible with travel dates and times: Flying during weekdays and late-night or early morning flights can often be cheaper.

3. Subscribe to airline newsletters: Airlines often send out promotions and sales through their newsletters.

4. Look for budget airlines: Consider flying with budget airlines that offer lower fares but may have fewer amenities.

5. Use flight search engines: Websites like Skyscanner, Kayak, and Google Flights can help you find the cheapest flights available.

What are some ways to save money on accommodations?

1. Consider alternative accommodations: Look into staying at hostels, vacation rentals, or house-sitting instead of traditional hotels.

2. Stay outside of popular areas: Accommodations in popular tourist areas tend to be more expensive, consider staying in a nearby neighborhood.

3. Use hotel price comparison websites: These websites can help you find the best deals and discounts on hotels.

4. Negotiate the price: If you are staying for an extended period or during off-peak season, try negotiating a lower rate with the hotel.

5. Take advantage of hotel loyalty programs: These programs can offer discounts, free nights, and other perks for frequent travelers.

How can I save money on activities and attractions during my trip?

1. Look for free activities: Many cities have free attractions such as museums, parks, and walking tours.

2. Use discount websites: Websites like Groupon and LivingSocial often offer discounts on activities and attractions.

3. Research local deals and discounts: Look for coupons, promotional codes, and discounts for activities and attractions in the area you are visiting.

4. Take advantage of tourist passes: Many cities offer passes that include discounts or free access to popular attractions.

5. Plan ahead and prioritize: Decide which activities and attractions are a must-do and budget accordingly. Avoid last-minute decisions which can be more expensive.

What are some ways to save money on transportation during my trip?

1. Use public transportation: Taking buses, trains, or subways can be significantly cheaper than using taxis or renting a car.

2. Walk or bike: If your destination is within walking or biking distance, consider doing so instead of using transportation.

3. Look for discount codes: Some ride-sharing services and car rental companies offer promo codes for discounts.

4. Consider car-sharing or carpooling: Websites like Zipcar and BlaBlaCar offer affordable options for renting or sharing a car.

5. Research local transportation options: Some cities offer affordable transportation passes or discounts for tourists, so do your research before your trip.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tracie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
gaddischef
  • sandilou
  • General Chat
Replies