• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrating Search for Festive Outfits: Cocktail Party Woes!

In summary, You would tell me, right? I have been ALL OVER the place looking for something festive to wear and I haven't found a thing! I was looking for a gold top, but I gave up on that one. There just seems to be very little glittery, festive tops or outfits. Good grief!! Now, I see rows and rows of that stuff in smaller sizes but nothing like what I'm looking for in my size. And whatever they have in the "occaision" section, is hardly something I'd wear to a ****tail party. Well, I feel better now.
AJPratt
Silver Member
You would tell me, right? I have been ALL OVER the place looking for something festive to wear and I haven't found a thing! I was looking for a gold top, but I gave up on that one. There just seems to be very little glittery, festive tops or outfits. Good grief!! Now, I see rows and rows of that stuff in smaller sizes but nothing like what I'm looking for in my size. And whatever they have in the "occaision" section, is hardly something I'd wear to a ****tail party. Well, I feel better now.

I fell like this with my two year old son. Every store I go in has plenty of Christmas shirts and things for little gilrs but I have had to search and search for boy clothes. BOYS LIKE CHRISTMAS TOO!!

At Lane Bryant I found these tops. Not sure if they're your style though!

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/pagebuilder/lane_bryant_product_page?item=8634222&pagesize=3

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/pagebuilder/lane_bryant_product_page?item=8697823&pagesize=3

They have lots of cute stuff! Good luck!

I know what you mean Anne, but in a differnet way. I am 31 and 5'0 and weight about 105lbs. I can't find much anything that is age appropriate. Christmas clothes are ok to find but for any other clothes, forget it. The shirts I see are these little shirts that a high schooler might wear. I defenitly don't want to relive my high schoold days. As for pants forget it. I buy a pair of pants or jeans and I am always having to have them hemmed. Clothes are a pain in the butt.

Glitter
AJPratt said:
You would tell me, right? I have been ALL OVER the place looking for something festive to wear and I haven't found a thing! I was looking for a gold top, but I gave up on that one. There just seems to be very little glittery, festive tops or outfits. Good grief!! Now, I see rows and rows of that stuff in smaller sizes but nothing like what I'm looking for in my size. And whatever they have in the "occaision" section, is hardly something I'd wear to a ****tail party. Well, I feel better now.
Hi Ann,
you should check out Lane Bryant. They even have the trendy jeans for everyday in All sizes. You know the ones that make any Booty look better
"7's". If you don't have one near you go to lanebryant.com Good luck:)

apriljc said:
I know what you mean Anne, but in a differnet way. I am 31 and 5'0 and weight about 105lbs. I can't find much anything that is age appropriate. Christmas clothes are ok to find but for any other clothes, forget it. The shirts I see are these little shirts that a high schooler might wear. I defenitly don't want to relive my high schoold days. As for pants forget it. I buy a pair of pants or jeans and I am always having to have them hemmed. Clothes are a pain in the butt.

I have the same kind of problem. I'm short, so I need petites, but I'm curvy... Can make it hard to find a pair of jeans to cover all my bum right! Once you find the brand that's cut right for you though... you need to buy one in every color!

jrstephens said:
I fell like this with my two year old son. Every store I go in has plenty of Christmas shirts and things for little gilrs but I have had to search and search for boy clothes. BOYS LIKE CHRISTMAS TOO!!
Me too Jennifer!!! I go past rows and rows of cute girls clothes to find the one little display of boys clothes....and then they are out of 2T-3T!!!
(sorry Anne for hijacking your thread!)

I saw some really cute things on www.oldnavy.com while shopping for my sister who is bigger. They seem to have some glittery festive things in a great price range!!

Jennifer,
I'm with you on trying to find Christmas outfits for boys. They have all kinds of cute girl Christmas outfits but not boys. I want my boys to take Christmas pictures too.

I Hear your painHi Anne,
I soooo hear you!!! I found a few nice blouses at Fashion Bug Plus. They are a nice fabric not too short (my biggest pet peeve) 3/4 sleves with beading on the front under the bust line. I got one in BUrgandy and 1 in balck. I wear them with nice pants or they really dress up jeans. I have actually gotten lots of compliments on them and I never get that....

I shopped at the mall for 3 hours last night looking for a suit! OMG! The petites are too short, the regualr womens clothes are too big, and the juniors are crap! I mean $40 for a suit? ewwwww. they were gross. The ONLY brand that fit me was wayyy out of my price range. I know suits are not cheap but $200 for a jacket? NO! And of course the only one i liked on the 50% off rack didn't have a skirt or pants that fit me. I needed the next size up! The jacket was perfect though. Man, i was soooo grumpy last night. i almost left the mall in tears. Where can I get a suit? I think i will try Ann Taylor. Ann Taylor loft didnt have any i liked. grrrrrrrrr. It seems to me that EVERYONE has trouble with their size. is anyone out there normal? I don't like petites (even if they do fit) because they make me look boxy and frumpy.
Ann, why can't everyone wear cute clothes? Have you tried Chico's? They have alot of festive clothing. Try that.
I hope you fid something awesome!
You can always rely on a cheesy sweater vest!

I'm about ready to get a green t-shirt and add $ store garlands! My cats would have a blast with that one!

Anne, boy, do I feel your pain. I wear a size 18 (heading for a 16 :D ) and it's difficult to find nice clothes that don't cost an arm and a leg.
And it's obvious that us plus-sized gals don't get pregnant. I had a hell of a time finding plus-sized maternity clothes. I remember being in tears looking for a plus-sized formal maternity dress for a formal dinner for my dh's firm. I finally ended up buying a bigger-sized plus-sized A line dress that had a tie in the back that I could tie and make it look half-decent.

cmdtrgd said:
I'm about ready to get a green t-shirt and add $ store garlands! My cats would have a blast with that one!

If you do that you MUST post a picture for us to see!!! :D

with or without the cats hanging on me?

I love to shop in Eddie Bauer and their outlet store too. I am a size 16 or 18 (depending on the item) and Eddie Bauer has those, and in great fashions, they also have long length pants. I swear they are the only store that has long length. Plus, if you like something they have but they don't have the right size if you order it at the store they don't charge you S&H, and then if you don't like it, just return it to the store. You can also return outlet store items to the regular stores. I love them, great quality too!!!

Try being...Try being pregnant during the holidays, and Plus Size! I was so excited to be pregnant through the holidays, instead of delivering right before, until I discovered that the only plus size maternity carried in stores is casual wear.

I swear by Ebay (oooohhhh that word!) when looking for sizes for special needs and occassions! That's where I found the two holiday outfits I got (a pants suit and a dress).

HTH!

yes...let me put my %0.02 in...

I am 33 and also a 16 (on a good day...bad-bad, Rollos!!)

I am sick and tired of of having to shop at Wal-Mart (no offense Mr. Walston...but, really) to afford plus size clothing. If I wanted to shop anywhere else, yes I could, but I dont want to fork out $65.00 for a shirt! I am also sick of the dresses that are in my size range...why oh why, must I always look like I have a potato sack on! I swear its just one big piece of material sewed together!! Some of us big girls ACTUALLY have a waistline!!

Yes, Yes..."If you dont like it, change it" (our weight all the skinny minnies say). I WOULD LOVE TOO. I dont pig out, I dont eat nothing but junk, I am a working, full time mom with a full time family and trying to fit a gym workout and constant healthy eating in my schedule would mean I would have to sell one or more of my Kids, and I am kinda partial to them, thank you.

Lane Bryant does have nice clothes (a heafty price tag on most) and isnt in my town. Yes, I can order on line, but unlike the smaller girls who can judge the way the clothes would fit just by looking at how it looks on Jessica Simpson, I have to try them on. And by the time I order it, pay for it, pay for the shipping, get it, try it, and send it back (again, more shipping) because it fits and looks stupid, I would just drive down to Wal-Mart, anyways!!

Phewwwww....sorry to vent, but I SOOO agree with Anne!

nikked said:
Try being pregnant during the holidays, and Plus Size! I was so excited to be pregnant through the holidays, instead of delivering right before, until I discovered that the only plus size maternity carried in stores is casual wear.

I swear by Ebay (oooohhhh that word!) when looking for sizes for special needs and occassions! That's where I found the two holiday outfits I got (a pants suit and a dress).

HTH!

Have you tried Motherhood Maternity? www.motherhood.com

They usually don't have too much plus size stuff in stores, but online there is quite a bit. I think it's cute stuff at least. :rolleyes:

Ann, do you have an Avenue in your town? I usually have pretty good luck with them or Dress Barn is OK sometimes too, its hit and miss. Good luck!

Anne I was at TJMaxx last weekend and they had the cutest spakly sweater sets that I thought would be perfect for a holiday dinner. They were adorable, they had a black and silver and a gold one. Maybe you can try there.

Cato has a lot of nice clothes for plus sizes if that store is in your area... (and good prices!)

thechefofnorthbend said:
Yes, Yes..."If you dont like it, change it" (our weight all the skinny minnies say). I WOULD LOVE TOO. I dont pig out, I dont eat nothing but junk, I am a working, full time mom with a full time family and trying to fit a gym workout and constant healthy eating in my schedule would mean I would have to sell one or more of my Kids, and I am kinda partial to them, thank you.

you crack me up! i love it.
Why is heathly eating so much more expensive? You can get about 6 cheeseburgers at McDonalds for the same price as a small salad! (which isnt that healthy in the first place!)

cmdtrgd said:
with or without the cats hanging on me?

Both would be nice!

WOW! My subscriptions are touch and go right now, so I had NO idea I got this kind of response.

I have looked all over: Avenue, Fashion Bus, Catherines, Marshalls, Ross, Value City, Lane Bryant. I do have to look at TJ Maxx. I just can't order online. I like things with a collar, not sleeveless or snug, or too low cut. Form fitting, maybe, nothing stretchy, or anything with more than 3% spandex because it hugs my boobs to much. I am a pain, aren't I? LOL

Pants? Forget it! I am 5'2" and wear and 18. Avenue pants fit great in petite. The rest of the fashion world to wear something proportionate to my a**, I must be 20 feet talll.

AJPratt said:
Pants? Forget it! I am 5'2" and wear and 18. Avenue pants fit great in petite. The rest of the fashion world to wear something proportionate to my a**, I must be 20 feet talll.

AMEN sister! I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I am 5'11 and most of my pants have me looking like I have just come from the Floood Waters Waiders Convention of America!! OH and our a**es...LOL...what a hoot! I have what most men would refer to as "allot of junk in my trunk"...hahahaha...you can have it!

sarahmarie said:
you crack me up! i love it.
Why is heathly eating so much more expensive? You can get about 6 cheeseburgers at McDonalds for the same price as a small salad! (which isnt that healthy in the first place!)

Please...Mc'D's salads are about as healthy as me eating a chocolate covered cherry blizzard from Dairy Queen and claiming I got my daily dose of fruit, fiber and dairy products!!:rolleyes: lol

I have been a real stickler about eating the "meat" from Mc'D's, ever since my wonderful older brother told me it was made from helpless Kangaroos. I know, I know its not, but sheesh...6 year olds are impressionalble!! LOL

oh, so i guess i will have a chocolate covered cherry blizzard for lunch today! he he.

sarahmarie said:
oh, so i guess i will have a chocolate covered cherry blizzard for lunch today! he he.

LOL...I was going to have the chocolate peppermint one...

Great minds think alike!

man, now you have me craving a cookie dough blizzard or strawberry shake (steak n' shake!)

Too bad i work in the uppity side of town. I have to go 5 miles to find a wendy's. But there is a starbucks across the street. I am an adict.

sarahmarie said:

MMM, sounds good, I'll have one too Sarah. Actually my parents just bought me 2 friggin boxes of chocolate covered cherries and some for my gma too cuz they know we love them, lol, I have had them just sitting in my van for the last week (oh the strength I've shown, lol) I figured I would take them to work and share in the calories, but I keep forgetting to take them in, lol.

yeah, chocolate covered cherries in the car sounds like a chocolate river mess. but then agian, you are snowed in! i have a small bag of chocolate for my party tonight and i had to bring it inside to work so it doesnt melt!

I'll gladly trade you especially right now.

AHhh, I think we hijacked Anne's thread, lol. OOps, gotta wait 30 seconds, lol.

apriljc said:

I too am amazed at the clothes out in stores these days... There are only a small handful of stores I can go into where there are sizes to fit me and clothes that cover what HAVE to be covered in a professional office environment. I mean WHO pray tell wears size 0!!! Half the fabric is missing from the shirts and skirts out there!! My job is not in a bar or dance club!!! I wouldn't wear that crap anyway!!! What is happening in the world of fashion these days!!!! Good thing I know how to make my own clothes!

Cheers

while suit shopping the other day i saw trouser style and trouser fabric made into booty shorts! there was also a vest that was cut like a bra with a collar. What the heck?
it's like shopping at skanks-R-us

oh, and being a size 0 is not all that fun either. I can wear a 0 at Ann Taylor and a FEW other places but i am like a 2 or 4. My mom works at Chicos and is always buying me stuff. It doesnt fit! She doesnt seem to understand that. And finding professional clothing in my size is hard. i work in a bank. i have to look nice. my size comes in either slutty styles or crappy quality. grrrrrrrrr...

Last edited by a moderator:
supergirljennie said:
I have the same kind of problem. I'm short, so I need petites, but I'm curvy... Can make it hard to find a pair of jeans to cover all my bum right! Once you find the brand that's cut right for you though... you need to buy one in every color!

And thats another thing!!! Yep me again.. going on the Fashion faux pas vent... What is with the jeans where you can see down your back side!! oooh puuuulllleeezeeee!! I mean its bad enough to see a man with that horrible crack, but now you are starting to see girls with it... UGGGGG GROSSSSS!!!!

SAY NO TO CRACK!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!

The worst is when they have their thong string hanging out of their low rise pants that looks like it is halfway up their back..

there is no problem with low rise jeans if you wear a NORMAL top with them. I wear low rise EVERYTHING yet no one will ever see my belly or back. I cannot wear pants around my waist. i find that terrible. ewwwwwwww...it cuts into the rolls and makes you feel awful. i dont know how people can do it. the band on the low rise pants sits right at the pudge and holds it in.

hahahahha i do wear low-rise pants as well, but not those ultra low rise that iste like 3" below that!! that is so funny that said it holds it in...I told my mom that is why i wear them, and that she should too! that everyone should! I will hopefully never have the buldge under the zipper of my pants and the band 3" down from my chest... ;-)

ewww. i feel like i am preggo when i wear those pants. everyone on here. do yourself a favor. just once, buy a thong. Victoria's secret low rise thong. they are comfortable. they dont ride up. just try it. and then go jeans shopping. try on a pair that don't support your breasts too. that is the job for your bra, not your jeans.

Yeah, low rise jeans are the way to go, you just have to wear longer shirts or layer. I just found some nice, long, layering shirts at Costco to hide the stuff that needs hiding.

tracymagu said:
Yeah, low rise jeans are the way to go, you just have to wear longer shirts or layer. I just found some nice, long, layering shirts at Costco to hide the stuff that needs hiding.
Yes, they are just SO much more comfortable.

OK I like my jeans on the high side of lowrise if that makes any sense but not all low rise are for everyone. Maybe if you have no pudge, but what's up with the girls walking around with the "muffin top" where their love handles bulge out of their low rise jeans and make like a muffin top???

ewwww! wear a shirt! or wear a looser shirt! Not all shirts fit that way. you can look great no matter what you size, if oyu know how to dress!

yep! and I find plenty of shirts that are an XL but are short like like Med...so I move on to the next....or when I shrink them in the dryer...I donate them because I dont want anything hanging out!

mom2leelee said:
OK I like my jeans on the high side of lowrise if that makes any sense but not all low rise are for everyone. Maybe if you have no pudge, but what's up with the girls walking around with the "muffin top" where their love handles bulge out of their low rise jeans and make like a muffin top???

EWWWW, there's a bunch of those at work, I wondered what to call them, LMAO!!!

sarahmarie said:
ewwww! wear a shirt! or wear a looser shirt! Not all shirts fit that way. you can look great no matter what you size, if oyu know how to dress!

I second that, I don't get the girls that wear a white 'wife beater' and a black bra, what's that for?! I don't care of you're a skinny minny or any size 'JUST SAY NO!'

classy! i had a girl in one of my classes that ALWAYS wore a belly shirt. I dont even know where to get those! she probably weighed 90 minus her boobs. with the boobs se probably weighed 150. No joke! She was disgustingly fake!
my favorite was when she wore a belly shirt (low cut of course...i dont know how they stayed in) and low rise jeans with a pink thong that had a butterfly right at the back of it. so of course that was way out of the pants.

sarahmarie said:
classy! i had a girl in one of my classes that ALWAYS wore a belly shirt. I dont even know where to get those! she probably weighed 90 minus her boobs. with the boobs se probably weighed 150. No joke! She was disgustingly fake!
my favorite was when she wore a belly shirt (low cut of course...i dont know how they stayed in) and low rise jeans with a pink thong that had a butterfly right at the back of it. so of course that was way out of the pants.

I always wonder when I see girls/women dressed this way if they have any mirrors at home....they can't seriously think it looks good???

oh, you can bet she did! she thinks she is hot stuff. and well...others agreed. i heard guys refer to her a "biggy"

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • candiejayne