• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Maybe I Should Throw in the Towel (Really Long)

In summary, this woman has had a really bad day. She has been inactive for eight months due to being lazy, and has only made one sale in that time. She has been trying to get back into the swing of things by hosting a brunch and emailing her customer list, but has had negative results. She has guests this weekend and does not have enough space for them. Additionally, her original goal of being able to stay home when she had kids has gone out the window because she will have to go back to work once her maternity leave is over.
NooraK
Gold Member
It has just been one of those days. I don't know if there's anything else that could make it any worse.

I was inactive in August due to just plain laziness on my part. I could say it's because of the baby, but I hadn't lined anything up (like catalog shows) in advance, and until yesterday, I hadn't picked up the phone since before the baby was born.

I decided to host a brunch at my house on Saturday so that I could pull together something to keep from losing my career sales. It took me until yesterday to pick up the phone and start calling people to invite them. I did post it on Facebook last week, but I know that's not sufficient. So far, I haven't gotten any positives from the phone calls, but I've only managed to get half way through page 2 of 9 (I printed a list of all customers since Jan 2009).

Last night I sent out an email to my customer list to invite them to come to the show or to order if they live too far away. Today, I got an email from MailChimp saying that I have been suspended from sending any more emails because my complaint percentage has risen to 1%. Since I have a list of barely over 400 addresses, that means four people have clicked "spam" on their email program. Four. And that doesn't include my Father-in-law, who for whatever reason unsubscribed from my list.

I sent MC the info they asked for, and they said that "As a strict permission based newsletter service, you must have physical/digital proof that someone opted in to receive your newsletter. If someone has provided you with their email on a form, there needs to be an option for them to check specifically to receive email correspondance. And verbal permission simply is not physical or digital." Since I said some of my addresses were obtained by verbal permission from CCCs, those don't have physical or digital confirmation. They said that in order to reactivate my account, I need to remove or re-confirm those contacts. As if I know who signed up how.

On top of that, we have guests this weekend. A cousin of mine had gone to visit my brother in CA last week, and had asked if he could visit us for a few days on his way home. After I had told him that was fine as long as he didn't mind a possibly crying baby at night, and telling DH he was coming, he told his sister and her daughter they could come visit at the same time. This means two trips to the airport 45 miles away, because the arrivals are hours a part, and even though the departures are only a few minutes apart, we don't have one car that can fit everyone at once.

I've been looking at my stats, and even though I've made $1600 in commission this year, I really don't have anything to show for it. I've put pretty much everything I've earned back into my business. I've signed up for two Fall Fests at local elementary schools next month, but I'm concerned about their potential success. I did these festivals last year, and have been able to get one online order from them.

My original goal with PC was to be able to make enough money to stay home when I had kids. I now have two, and I know I will have to go back to work once my maternity leave is over. I know that in order to replace my income (which I would have to do in order to stay home), I would have to build a team and promote to Director, but I just can't manage to recruit anyone. I'm having a hard time booking shows to begin with, and the shows I do have aren't that huge.

It just seems like everything is turning out to be more hassle than it's worth. I really do enjoy PC, but I can't do it just as a hobby. It's not worth the frustration if I have to keep feeling like I'm constantly starting over.

I still have to go pick up my cousin from the airport tonight, and figure out where I'm going to fit all of these people to sleep. Oh, and DH's sister's parents also decided they would be coming to visit for these same five days. Yes, they decided to come, they weren't invited by me or DH. At least they're staying in a hotel...

Noora, I know how you feel. I love PC, but am lacking the motivation to make contacts. The only show I even had scheduled this month cancelled, and I have nothing on the calendar, period. I am doing a fair this Saturday, so we'll see if anything comes of it, but I'm sharing the booth with another consultant, and I have no idea how well attended it will be. I'm also wondering if I should 'throw in the towel,' but hate the thought of doing that to my Director, whom I love, when it's really all about me being lazy. I say (to both of us) to push yourself as hard as possible over the next week, and if you don't have at least $150 in sales by 9/30, make the decision then. If God wants you (us) to continue, He will make it clear with this challenge.Maybe have a FB special, on your main profile page, not just your PC page. Perhaps offer a 20% discount on the Large Bar Pan for the first 10 people placing orders (at least you're only losing your commission), then add a reminder about the free cookbook for orders of $60 or more.I'll see you on FB either way (when you speak English! haha), so I won't have to miss you, but I'd hate to see you give up on the business you love.

Ok, this is me.....you know I love you....

I pm'd ya

Hi Noora,

This may be unwanted advice, but know I think the best of you and I KNOW you love PC. You state that the baby is not the reason for being inactive and that you are having to push yourself to make those calls. I say, that yes...it is because you just became a momma again! Sure you could have lined something up, but I remember having ZERO energy or motivation that last month before mine were born. And FORGET adding more to do's once the baby was born. I didn't have a new baby last month and I let my August blow. =) It happens and that's the beauty of the biz....we get to let it ride when we need to, and we have our jobs waiting for us when we're ready.

I'd recommend posting on FB that you need 10 $15 orders by the end of the month to help you keep your career sales and help you get through the 1st weeks of your new baby''s life.

I think you are an AMAZING, INFORMED and DEDICATED consultant and I'd hate to think you were not part of this awesome group. I'd also go bare bones....no more prizes, no mailing invites, no cute flyers...nothing that costs money (I don't know that you do any of these...just typing things that are extras). Everytime you're about to spend money, you need to ask....is this guaranteed income producing...if I don't, will the biz fail? If it won't, then don't do it.

I don't spend money to make money and it's been successful so far. I spend more now, but because I have more money coming in and because I want to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't show me results 3 times in a row, then I drop it.

I'd pick the top 10 people who were leads, past hosts, big orders that you actually LIKED talking with and start with them. Send emails from your personal email account while you figure out mail chimp....let that slide for a bit. A personal email with what you're excited about for October and straight out stating that you thought of them and thought they were ready to host/join. Send the same email to 20 people a day from now until the end of the month.

I hope I've been helpful...that is my intent....but really do know that I sincerely would HATE to see you walk away from PC...you are TOO AWESOME to leave! It can and WILL become your only source of income....it will take steps to get there, but 1 foot in front of the other, right? Forget director....get back to the basics with shows and the recruits will come.

SARAH - sending you love and hugs. And NO, you CAN'T leave either! :p

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Hi Noora,

This may be unwanted advice, but know I think the best of you and I KNOW you love PC. You state that the baby is not the reason for being inactive and that you are having to push yourself to make those calls. I say, that yes...it is because you just became a momma again! Sure you could have lined something up, but I remember having ZERO energy or motivation that last month before mine were born. And FORGET adding more to do's once the baby was born. I didn't have a new baby last month and I let my August blow. =) It happens and that's the beauty of the biz....we get to let it ride when we need to, and we have our jobs waiting for us when we're ready.

I'd recommend posting on FB that you need 10 $15 orders by the end of the month to help you keep your career sales and help you get through the 1st weeks of your new baby''s life.

I think you are an AMAZING, INFORMED and DEDICATED consultant and I'd hate to think you were not part of this awesome group. I'd also go bare bones....no more prizes, no mailing invites, no cute flyers...nothing that costs money (I don't know that you do any of these...just typing things that are extras). Everytime you're about to spend money, you need to ask....is this guaranteed income producing...if I don't, will the biz fail? If it won't, then don't do it.

I don't spend money to make money and it's been successful so far. I spend more now, but because I have more money coming in and because I want to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't show me results 3 times in a row, then I drop it.

I'd pick the top 10 people who were leads, past hosts, big orders that you actually LIKED talking with and start with them. Send emails from your personal email account while you figure out mail chimp....let that slide for a bit. A personal email with what you're excited about for October and straight out stating that you thought of them and thought they were ready to host/join. Send the same email to 20 people a day from now until the end of the month.

I hope I've been helpful...that is my intent....but really do know that I sincerely would HATE to see you walk away from PC...you are TOO AWESOME to leave! It can and WILL become your only source of income....it will take steps to get there, but 1 foot in front of the other, right? Forget director....get back to the basics with shows and the recruits will come.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And Noora, you have a newborn and a toddler. I totally agree with what Laurie said about that. I think you're being too hard on yourself about why/how August panned out.

Hoping that this weekend goes well for you!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Hi Noora,

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!!

(((hugs)))

Jumping on the bandwagon - ditto, ditto, ditto!!

I've been in the biz 6 years. I probably have a regular cycle of thinking I should stop, even right now since it's been 11 months since I've recruited. My 2nd child was born 9 months after I signed. I had a 2.5 year old at the time. I finally understood what other mothers meant when they said that they did something for THEM. PC was and is MY thing. I am not the type of mom to be down on the floor rolling around with her kids all day long. I mother in my own special way ;) I need to have something else to do. Now, your other job may be enough for you. Or maybe PC is what you need, even if you want to quantify it at the hobby level, and keep it while the other job provides the income you need.

I keep careful track of what I spend on the biz and what I make. Sure, I could probably spend less without dire impact on the income. Am I making a full-time income? No. But today I did my monthly sweep from my PC account into the family account and it covers the gap in the family budget. I had A LOT go on in my personal life this spring and summer, including moving into a new house where my "extra" income is more required. With all that was going on in my life, I knew that if I completely let the biz slide, there would be no biz left for me on the other side of the chaos. More than half of my Aug. shows cancelled/postponed, partly a lack of host coaching on my part. The company's numbers for Aug. are never great. But we're going into the Fall selling season - the best part of the year. If in Jan. you have no bookings, reconsider stopping then.

I like Sarah's idea of picking some activities you're willing to commit to. Pick a timeline. Be ready to make a decision. It's even OK to say "I should stop b/c I didn't get the results I wanted from those 20 phone calls, but I want to stick with PC b/c I need it anyway." The process could be more important than the results.

Let DH deal with all of those family members. Geez louise. Can they have a clue about people with a newborn in the house? I think they need to place an order! Do not feel that you have to entertain them or have a showplace home. Embrace "good enough."

As has been discussed in Rhonda's thread, losing career sales isn't the end of the world. It's a hit, that's for sure.

Your thoughtful approach to your current status is a lot more than most people put into the biz. And you're tired and hormonal - never a good state of mind for making important decisions ;)

Hugs!

Everyone has given you good advice. All I can add, is when I am extremely stressed and can't handle it any more, I put it in God's hands. This always gives me peace of mind, knowing that He will handle it.You are an awesome person! Have faith - everything will work out.

Thank you all for encouraging my friend Noora..i had pm'd her the exact same sentiments. Love her dearly, everyone just encourage her to hang in there because she has the potential to be absolutely an amazing director.

Noora, I ditto everything. I know there are times I've gotten overwhelmed and other times I submitted an order just to stay active. Hang in there ... we'd hate to lose you!

I sold $150 worth of cash and carry so I will be replacing all of that .... not in danger of losing career sales but I don't have anything on the calendar until November. And I'd like to have the items in place for an Oct. 2 fair. I'm SO CLOSE to the $15,000 in career sales. Would SO hate to lose that.

Noora, you know I love you. You know, too, that this business runs in cycles. I can't give you any better advice than you've already gotten here. Don't make a rash decision. I know you're an excellent consultant. I also know that life can be a little overwhelming at times. No matter what decision you make, you're an amazing woman and I look forward to years and years of friendship with you.

If you don't like doing Cooking Shows, then there's no point in continuing. But I didn't see you put that anywhere in your post, so I'm assuming you like selling PC, you are just in a slump on sales. I recommend that you take the "Step up your business" class before making the decision to quit. It can really open your eyes & help you get your booking ball rolling again and KEEP it rolling. That's my 2 cents. ;)

Noora, They have all said what needs to be said. I just know from being on the boards you always have helpful advice and seem to know how to run a business. Good luck in your decision, I'm sure you will make the one that is right for your family.

I'll tell you, I've been there too... as we all have been on that cycle before... and I have gone out to get a different job to help supplement PC. All I could think about is "I've just worked ALL day for the same money I could have made in 1 show! And I have more fun w/ PC!!" So after a few months of that, I picked up the phone and got going again! The grass is not always greener on the other side :) Good luck Noora!

Thank you all for your kind words. I admit, that's one of the reasons I posted. I was just so tired and frustrated yesterday, and while DH is very supportive, he just doesn't get it the same way you all do. He says he'll support me in anything I want to do, but that also means that when I say I'm quitting PC and getting a normal part time job to make extra money, he says he'll support me in that, too.

I do have the brunch show scheduled for Saturday. I'm going to start making more calls today to invite people. Now that my SIL and cousin are here, I'll have more hands to hold the baby when I need them. I do have SIL's parents coming (since they're here visiting us) and DS's babysitter and her daughter, as well. The latter have always put in good orders, and I wouldn't be surprised if SIL's parents got something as well. Hopefully I'll be able to drum up a few other people to come, too.

I do really love PC. It's funny, DH gets frustrated sometimes because it seems that's the only thing I get really excited about. :)

Thank you.

Noora, I'm so glad you are feeling better this morning. I pray that Saturday is just the spark you need to ignite the PC flame again!

Thank you, also, for all those that wrote to encourage me! I was not expecting that (since it's not at all why I posted), so it was very touching.

Now a praise of my own. I contacted, via Facebook, a friend who has been wanting to have a show. I gave her a few dates in October from which to choose, fully expecting her to brush it off as being 'too busy.' Well, we're scheduled for Friday 10/8!! Woohoo! If I can get one more show that week, I'll be eligible for one of the 'mystery gifts' mentioned in this week's e-mail.

Now, off to hit up ChefBeckyD for gluten-free appetizer or dessert recipes!

I don't know why as women we are so hard on ourselves! I am glad you are having a better day.

For days on end, all I wanted to do was just lay around. I was so tired I had no desire to do ANYTHING. Luckily I have some pushy friends who don't take no for an answer and got me going again. I guess what I am saying is that its OK to have days/times like this. We all go through it. I have a PT job and I was killing myself picking up hours. One day, there was a incident in my office and I decided that I am not picking up extra hours, that I will work the 3 days, keep my benefits and do two shows a month. I make more with PC and its NO aggravation for me. Unlike the job at times. And do you know what? Its the first time in a long time I can say I am happy with my PC calendar. I could always use more shows, but I feel good about it.

pampchefsarah said:
Noora, I'm so glad you are feeling better this morning. I pray that Saturday is just the spark you need to ignite the PC flame again!Thank you, also, for all those that wrote to encourage me! I was not expecting that (since it's not at all why I posted), so it was very touching.Now a praise of my own. I contacted, via Facebook, a friend who has been wanting to have a show. I gave her a few dates in October from which to choose, fully expecting her to brush it off as being 'too busy.' Well, we're scheduled for Friday 10/8!! Woohoo! If I can get one more show that week, I'll be eligible for one of the 'mystery gifts' mentioned in this week's e-mail.Now, off to hit up ChefBeckyD for gluten-free appetizer or dessert recipes!
Hey - you know what? The Mexican Cheese Crisps are naturally gluten free - and EXTREMELY delicious! :D:chef:And - King Arthur Flour, and Betty Crocker, and Duncan Hines (I think) all have GF Cake mixes in the cake aisle! Also GF Brownie Mixes and Cookie Mixes! At the Meijers by me, they are right with the other cake mixes.

Noora, you have gotten some great advice. I would hate to see you go, but honestly you have to do what is best for your family. It sounds like you are just in a slump, but honestly, if this isn't what is right for you, we will understand.
You mentioned that you wanted to stay home with PC, but had to replace your full time income. I know that honestly that is why I started PC. We needed more income, but with 3 little ones at home (one has since started school), we couldn't afford for me to go back to work. My degree and experience is in the social work field and those jobs pay $25-30 K/yr around here. Daycare for 3 would cost $17K/yr, and we are out in the country, so we're talking a 30 min or more drive to town. With all of that factored in, I only have to bring in $10K/yr w/ PC to beat what I would make working full time. Yes that is working my business, not just letting it be a hobby, but I can do that and still be home with my family. You should sit down and crunch numbers with DH and see how much you are really bringing home after all the expenses. That will take some pressure off of PC. Also, if you are home, you can cook more and save on groceries and eating out. You don't need work/dress clothes as much, and you are probably able to save in a lot of other areas. Yes you still have to drive to shows, but if you do 3 a week, you are still saving from driving to work 5 times a day.
These are just some thoughts that I didn't hear others saying....

Noora - You can file an extension which will give you October to turn in $150 and you won't lose your career sales. Look on page 28 of the Consultant Guide. You can do this by email but it has to be in by the 25th!
Kind of in the same position, my baby girl was born July 27th. Haven't been able to force myslef back on the phone lately - seems I always find something else that needs to be done. But my MIL said she would have a catalog show in October and a good friend gave me the name of a girl that wants to have a show in November - so I lucked out!
Good luck with your brunch this weekend and with all of the visitors!

Leslie - I have crunched the numbers, and unfortunately I can't afford not to replace my income right now. Because of some bad habits in the past, we're in the process of paying off some debts, plus DH has to pay child support for his oldest. If it wasn't for the debt and the CS, I could stay home. We work in the same building, and the same hours, so we will be car-pooling when we go back to work. I've been thinking about talking to DH about actually working opposite hours. It wouldn't minimize gas expenses, but it might reduce child care costs, which would allow us to pay off our debts faster.

Megan - thank you for the reminder. The brunch is scheduled for the 25th, so if at 1 PM I don't have enough sales to put in a show, I'll put in for the extension. Hopefully I can just find some time to make some invitation calls with all these people here.

I certainly know what you are going through Noora, and I loved reading everyone's advice. My youngest is 15 months old and it has been a challenge since midway through my pregnancy, with health issues, then issues after her birth as well. On top of that, in January, we decided to put our house on the market, so I got busy with cleaning and packing. We moved a month ago from NC to MA and are currently living with my in-laws (in 2 rooms in the basement), and I still haven't gotten into a "routine". My time management skills are aweful. I used to make calls from 7-8pm, but it seems that is when we are eating dinner now (and then it is time to get the 3 kids ready for bed).

I too need the income, and have been job hunting, but would love to make this my full time income. But the need for consistent income is greater than the shows (or lack of) that I have on my calendar right now.

Hang in there!

Noora and Sarah, I just want to sent you both a hug. You have both been so helpful to me and to others. I haven't been in PC long enough to feel that way, but I know how I feel at my regular job. I love my job. but there are days when I think i just want to walk away from the whole career in health care. And it's not even when it's been a bad day...just sometimes discouraging or even blah. But I have learned that it's usually temporary....and I see from the posts above that you may feel a little less that way now. It just remind me that it's good to keep options open. I like that you are planning to file an extension if the brunch doesn't go as planned.I just want you to know that you have --each of you, Noora and Sarah--have made a difference to me, in the short time I have "known" you, here in cyberspace. I hope each of you find the right choices for yourself. No matter what it is, I wish you all the best

Noora I have been where you are and I am acutally there now. I had a baby 5 months ago and quit my job to make PC my full time income. I have yet to schedule 8 shows a month, and 14-15 is what I really need to replace my FT income. I am working PT until the end of October and then I will only have PC as an income. As much as I know I HAVE to pick up the phone to make calls to get shows, I still don't do it. The last week has been a little better. Like everyone else said, I believe this business really does go in cycles and you and I are clearly in a down cycle. Having a baby takes a ton of energy and there are some days where you just won't have the energy to do it all. It will get better I promise!

OK, my brunch show is at just over $200 right now. I'm going to call my next door neighbor because she recently said she needs more pantry items, and I have a customer who collects the RUFTH trivets, so I'll give her a ring too. I also booked a fundraiser for October 30 with a previous fundraiser host.

Now I just have to get on the phone and book some more shows. :)

NooraK said:
OK, my brunch show is at just over $200 right now. I'm going to call my next door neighbor because she recently said she needs more pantry items, and I have a customer who collects the RUFTH trivets, so I'll give her a ring too. I also booked a fundraiser for October 30 with a previous fundraiser host.

Now I just have to get on the phone and book some more shows. :)

Way to go, NooraK!!!! Just keep taking those small steps forward and it will happen for you. We all hit walls and obstacles but it is obvious that you like cooking shows and you like the products. We all struggle with this at times so consider yourself normal!!:chef:

WOO-HOO!!! I guess you got your sign!!!

Noora, that's awesome! I'm glad you'll remain active and keep those sales! You deserve it, and I do hope it was God's way of letting you know that you can continue. :D

Glad to hear it.

I'm glad you got things going again. Not to resurrect an old thread but I wish I'd read this sooner! Recently we're going through trying to decide what to do with my business since I've had a nearly 6 month gap in sales.
Something I've learning recently is that when you pray for something, it's realizing that the decision is no longer yours but it belongs to God. Something more Christians need to realize that is what it means to BE a Christian. By giving the decision to God.
(I hope I didn't collect any haters that don't believe in prayer or religion. To each his/her own, really)

I can't imagine anyone (especially here) blasting you for that statement. Most athiests or agnostics still believe it is your right to believe.

It's starting to pick up a bit. A friend called the other day and wanted to order $131 worth of product. Talked her into $20 more and made it into a show. My booth last weekend has resulted in a booking (though the number she gave me doesn't answer, and the email she gave bounced back). I have another booth on Saturday, and a repeat host scheduled her annual show for the second week of November. I mailed out the invitations for my Halloween Fundraiser yesterday, and the hosts for that are VERY motivated, so it should be a blast.

I plan to spend a lot of time on the phone tomorrow with the new recruiting special, and maybe I'll get some bookings, too. Oh, and the nurse at the dermatologist yesterday was interested in booking a show. I have to remember to call her.

NooraK said:
It's starting to pick up a bit. A friend called the other day and wanted to order $131 worth of product. Talked her into $20 more and made it into a show. My booth last weekend has resulted in a booking (though the number she gave me doesn't answer, and the email she gave bounced back). I have another booth on Saturday, and a repeat host scheduled her annual show for the second week of November. I mailed out the invitations for my Halloween Fundraiser yesterday, and the hosts for that are VERY motivated, so it should be a blast.

I plan to spend a lot of time on the phone tomorrow with the new recruiting special, and maybe I'll get some bookings, too. Oh, and the nurse at the dermatologist yesterday was interested in booking a show. I have to remember to call her.

This is a GREAT reason to schedule any and every kind of appointment there is! (provided you have insurance or can afford it)
Dermatologist, Dentist, Gyn Doctor, Child's pediatrition, Chiropractor, Hair Stylist, manicure, pedicure, Financial advisor, etc. etc. etc. So many opportunities if you just have one appointment a week!
:D

That's really great!

ShelbyMichalek said:
This is a GREAT reason to schedule any and every kind of appointment there is! (provided you have insurance or can afford it)
Dermatologist, Dentist, Gyn Doctor, Child's pediatrition, Chiropractor, Hair Stylist, manicure, pedicure, Financial advisor, etc. etc. etc. So many opportunities if you just have one appointment a week!
:D

Ha ha... the financial advisor is coming over today, and I'm in desparate need of a haircut!

NooraK said:
... My booth last weekend has resulted in a booking (though the number she gave me doesn't answer, and the email she gave bounced back). ...

If you have an address, contact her snail mail! :D Her phone & internet might be disconnected due to non-payment & she might be in desperate need of the business opportunity! :D

Nope, no address. The phone rings, there's just no machine. And the email, I tried a couple of variations, and one didn't bounce back, but I didn't get a response either. The phone number looks like a land line, so I think I'm going to do a reverse lookup online and see if I can find a street address.

The funniest thing is, when she was picking a date, she said she was supposed to have a show in August, but the consultant never contacted her. I wonder why...

Perfect!! I wish our financial advisor was a woman! My husband meets with him because he's a retired Chief and he works on base. My husband has a strict rule he doesn't talk about my work with his coworkers unless the "wife" subject comes up. He doesn't feel like marketing me fits withing protocol with the military.

Noora, have you ever heard on Beenverified.com? I had a subscription for about 6-months and it worked SO well finding addresses just by using a name and general location.

Our financial advisor is a divorced man, so no luck there. I did do a reverse look up for the phone number, and found her address. I wrote up a letter, but missed the mail lady by a minute. Even if I hadn't found her online, I have contacts at work that would be better, if I wanted to go that far. ;)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dianevill
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies