• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Am I Reading These Dcb Recipes Right?

In summary, the recipe book says to use a "casserole" pan on the stovetop to cook the butter and flour. The casserole is also called a DCB, which stands for Deep Covered Baker. The casserole can also be used for cooking other things, such as vegetables or turkey.
Teresa LM
I just got the "Dinner in your Deep Covered Baker" recipe book. Am I reading some of these right?

"Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add butter and flour to Casserole: whisk until smooth using the Silicone Flat Whisk. Cook over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until mixture is light golden brown, whisking occasionally."

Are they saying that the stoneware can be used on the stovetop? I have a gas range. Are they saying I can put the DCB on there and brown the butter and flour and it will be OK?

No. DCB is DCB. Casserole is a piece of cookware.

I guess I failed my "reading the catalog" test, hey? I see it now! A sauce pan isn't a casserole in my world, until now, I guess. I hope others don't get confused! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Teresa LM said:
I guess I failed my "reading the catalog" test, hey? I see it now! A sauce pan isn't a casserole in my world, until now, I guess. I hope others don't get confused! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I know...I was very confused the first time I read a PC Recipe that used the 4qt casserole

I am still confused.

DebinCincy said:
I am still confused.

You melt the butter on the stovetop in a "caserole" pan (Why they call it that I have NO idea!). Then add the flour and whisk until smooth. At some point it will be transferred to the dcb and you'll be safe.

pchockeymom said:
You melt the butter on the stovetop in a "caserole" pan (Why they call it that I have NO idea!). Then add the flour and whisk until smooth. At some point it will be transferred to the dcb and you'll be safe.

Which would be one of our saucepans apparently. It's bigger than a typical saucepan, but smaller than a "stockpot".

I thought the same thing too a few weeks ago. Luckily, I figured it out before I actually tried it! :)

I'd say to email HO so they are aware of the confusion before a reprint...

I had the same problem, and didn't know what the "casserole" was, and thought they were talking about the DCB. Hope our customers don't think like that, too. I actually DID go through the catalog and saw the pan called casserole. Wish they would have use a different pan! :)

How funny, I got a call from a long time customer tonight in the middle of making her dinner with the same exact question.

They call it a Casserole because of the 2 handles. A sauce pot/pan has 1 handle...HTH

got it! Thanks!

Ginger428 said:
They call it a Casserole because of the 2 handles. A sauce pot/pan has 1 handle...HTH

Then they should call it a 4-qt stockpot...because I don't know of anyone who calls a stovetop pan a casserole. Just my opinion. ;)

I agree. Stockpot would be a much better term to use, so it's not confusing. I wonder how many DCB have been broken by cooking them on the stovetop? If I was confused, there have to be others! I think better wording is needed. Either change the name of that pan or change the recipe books to explain better.

esavvymom said:
Then they should call it a 4-qt stockpot...because I don't know of anyone who calls a stovetop pan a casserole. Just my opinion. ;)

4 qts is too small to be a stock pot. Back in the old...:rolleyes:, before they had cans of stock chicken,veggie etc....people made their own stock. For example after Thankgiving, you would take the turkey carcess & boil it for hours, adding anything in the fridge ie..onione & the peels, same for carrots,celery,parsnips, whatever. After boiling for many hours, adding some salt,pepper & garlic you had a delicious stock. So needless to say If you are going to that, you need a large enough pot to hold lots of liquid. :D

Can we call it a SMALL stockpot? ;)

Ginger428 said:
4 qts is too small to be a stock pot. Back in the old...:rolleyes:, before they had cans of stock chicken,veggie etc....people made their own stock. For example after Thankgiving, you would take the turkey carcess & boil it for hours, adding anything in the fridge ie..onione & the peels, same for carrots,celery,parsnips, whatever. After boiling for many hours, adding some salt,pepper & garlic you had a delicious stock. So needless to say If you are going to that, you need a large enough pot to hold lots of liquid. :D
Hey! That's still how I make my stock. :D:D:D (I actually save veggie ends and peels in a ziploc bag in the freezer to add when I have enough chicken carcasses to do stock. Or if I buy soup bones.)And I had no idea that the term casserole for a pot would be confusing. I knew exactly what it was. And nope, it's not a stockpot. It's a casserole. Just consider it a new term learned! ;)

What do other companies call theirs that size?

Kohls has a 5 quart with 2 handles that they call a Dutch Oven. That would ease my confusion if it were called that.

babywings76 said:

Your question made me curious, so I went to Amazon, and under the heading of cookware, I typed in "casserole". As you can see, it's a pretty common usage for that type of pan.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_355834542_2?ie=UTF8&bbn=289814&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A!1063498%2Cn%3A284507%2Cn%3A289814%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2Cp_8%3A2229032011%2Cn%3A289816&page=1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gp-center-3&pf_rd_r=11V23RT2221FTYHYQS5Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1292958322&pf_rd_i=289814#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D289816&field-keywords=casserole&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A!1063498%2Cn%3A284507%2Cn%3A289814%2Cn%3A289816%2Ck%3Acasserole

I googled 4 qt casserole and got a lot of cookware from Amazon, Le Creuset, copper, brass etc so it appears very standard. Thanks for helping me learn something new today :D

I typed "casserole pan" into Amazon and it came up with all sorts of different types of stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_pg_3?rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Acasserole+pan&page=3&keywords=casserole+pan&ie=UTF8&qid=1302813471

Now, if I am doing a recipe in the DCB, which of those items am I going to think it's talking about? It is a bit confusing.

Teresa LM said:
I typed "casserole pan" into Amazon and it came up with all sorts of different types of stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_pg_3?rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Acasserole+pan&page=3&keywords=casserole+pan&ie=UTF8&qid=1302813471

Now, if I am doing a recipe in the DCB, which of those items am I going to think it's talking about? It is a bit confusing.

Not a casserole pan. It's just called a casserole. (the pan is why you came up with all sorts of different stuff, not the casserole)

OK. I will have to just explain it for us WI people, I guess. My son and his wife go around and around about whether stuff should be called "hotdish", "casserole" or what. I think it might be a local thing. At least now I know!

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey! That's still how I make my stock. :D:D:D (I actually save veggie ends and peels in a ziploc bag in the freezer to add when I have enough chicken carcasses to do stock. Or if I buy soup bones.)

And I had no idea that the term casserole for a pot would be confusing. I knew exactly what it was.

And nope, it's not a stockpot. It's a casserole. Just consider it a new term learned! ;)

I KNEW YOU would chime in on this!! ;) When I worked in restaurant kitchens, we would fill a pot up with water, once it started boiling we kept it at a simmer & the entire day we just kept throwing anything edible that people would normally just throw out. They saved a bunch of money by not using store bought....:D

I think it is a regional thing. I was at a team meeting last night and I asked everyone what a casserole was. They wanted to know if I was talking about a recipe or a piece of cooking equipment. I told them cooking equipment.

They started by describing a ceramic dish and eventually, it came down to describing the DCB. Not one of them mentioned the "casserole" in the cookware set. I had to point out to them and explain why I had asked. I think casserole in NW Wisconsin basically means that white ceramic with the blue flowers on the side.;)

It means pretty much the same thing down here in the south, too! I grew up calling that "two-handled pot with a lid" a __ quart Dutch Oven; 4, 5 or 6 quart as appropriate. I think I had seen it called the casserole in the PIG or catalog and put 2 and 2 together before I messed up.​

Teresa LM said:
They started by describing a ceramic dish and eventually, it came down to describing the DCB. Not one of them mentioned the "casserole" in the cookware set. I had to point out to them and explain why I had asked. I think casserole in NW Wisconsin basically means that white ceramic with the blue flowers on the side.;)
I think you are right because I would call all of my corning ware dishes with lids casseroles.:cool:

I showed the picture of the PC casserole to my hubby and he said, "That's kettle." Well, there you go. Another name to throw in the mix. LOL!

babywings76 said:

size doesn't matter :D

Related to Am I Reading These Dcb Recipes Right?

1. Are they saying that the stoneware can be used on the stovetop?

Yes, the instructions are suggesting that the stoneware can be used on the stovetop to brown the butter and flour. However, it is important to note that not all stoneware can be used on the stovetop, so make sure to check the manufacturer's instructions before attempting this method.

2. I have a gas range. Are they saying I can put the DCB on there and brown the butter and flour and it will be OK?

Yes, as long as the manufacturer's instructions allow for stoneware to be used on a gas range, it should be safe to use the DCB on your stove to brown the butter and flour. Just make sure to follow the instructions carefully and use caution when handling the hot stoneware.

3. Do I need to preheat the oven before adding the butter and flour to the casserole?

Yes, the recipe specifically states to preheat the oven to 375 degrees before adding the butter and flour to the casserole. This will ensure that the stoneware is evenly heated and the butter and flour can be cooked properly.

4. How long should I cook the butter and flour mixture on the stovetop?

The recipe suggests cooking the mixture for 6-8 minutes over medium-high heat, or until it turns light golden brown. It is important to whisk occasionally to prevent burning and to achieve a smooth consistency.

5. Do I need to use a specific type of whisk?

The recipe calls for using a Silicone Flat Whisk, which is designed to be used with non-stick cookware. However, if you do not have this type of whisk, you can use any other type of whisk that is suitable for non-stick surfaces.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • JAE