• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Alternative to 12 Days of Christmas...

In summary, In January, there are several possible contests that people can participate in. One is a New Year's contest, and the other is the Golden Week concept, which is a time when people go out and have fun instead of being too serious.
PattieChef21
I wasn't sure what to search for, or how to word this.

I saw a few posts about the 12 Days of Christmas contest that people did, well obviously it's past time for that. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for contests in January. Like a New Year contest or something?

I don't know about contests, but I was actually thinking about the Golden Week concept. I'll see if I can dig up the post.

And I just have to say, it bugs me just a little that all these stores are doing 12 days of Christmas before Christmas, as the 12 days of Christmas are supposed to be from Christmas to Epiphany. But I'm just weird like that :D

NooraK said:
And I just have to say, it bugs me just a little that all these stores are doing 12 days of Christmas before Christmas, as the 12 days of Christmas are supposed to be from Christmas to Epiphany. But I'm just weird like that :D

It's all for the Marketing.:rolleyes: No need to be bothered with actual Holiday dates, you know...(sarcasm oozing...)

I'm weird that way, too, Noora. I've been known to correct people when they start saying, "Oh, we're in the 12 days of Christmas now." They seem genuinely shocked to find out that the 12 days start December 25.

I'm sorry, but I really thought the 12 Days of Christmas was just a song. Can some one explain what it really is?

TIA

It was a code for repressed people to keep their religion alive from the dates between Christmas and the night before Epiphany.

Thanks for the upload

and for the lesson. I aslo thought it was just a song...hmm, learn something new everyday!

thanks!

I grew up in an Episcopal church. We weren't supposed to put up a Christmas tree or sing Christmas carols until Christmas Eve because Christmas didn't start on the liturgical calendar until then. It ended the night before the celebration of Epiphany on January 6. So, the Christmas season lasted for 12 days. Legend has is that The 12 Days of Christmas was sung with various "gifts" depending on where you lived until the 16th century. At that point it became illegal (or at least very frowned upon) to teach your children the tenants of your faith at home. During the next couple of centuries there were periods of time when you were in trouble if you were Catholic. Other times it was Protestants who were oppressed. In the 16th century the song became standardized as a secret way to teach children the basics of the faith. The partridge in a pear tree represented the Christ Child who was destined to die on the tree (cross). The two turtle doves represented the Old and New Testaments. The four calling birds were the four distinct voices of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The ten lords a-leaping were the Ten Commandments. The story is apocryphal, but I enjoy it. It makes for lively conversation this time of year.

raebates said:
I grew up in an Episcopal church. We weren't supposed to put up a Christmas tree or sing Christmas carols until Christmas Eve because Christmas didn't start on the liturgical calendar until then. It ended the night before the celebration of Epiphany on January 6. So, the Christmas season lasted for 12 days.

Legend has is that The 12 Days of Christmas was sung with various "gifts" depending on where you lived until the 16th century. At that point it became illegal (or at least very frowned upon) to teach your children the tenants of your faith at home. During the next couple of centuries there were periods of time when you were in trouble if you were Catholic. Other times it was Protestants who were oppressed. In the 16th century the song became standardized as a secret way to teach children the basics of the faith. The partridge in a pear tree represented the Christ Child who was destined to die on the tree (cross). The two turtle doves represented the Old and New Testaments. The four calling birds were the four distinct voices of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The ten lords a-leaping were the Ten Commandments.

The story is apocryphal, but I enjoy it. It makes for lively conversation this time of year.

My little guy loves that story. He also loves the song...we've been hearing it non-stop for the last week or so. He sings it while he's reading, he sings it while he's playing, he sings it while he's eating. He is now making up his own "12 Days"...and some of them are decidedly from a 6 yr. old boys sense of humor. I'm pretty sure that none of the gift options in the 16th century included dog poopies. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that none of the gift options in the 16th century included dog poopies

lol! Probably not but most of us with boys have heard many renditions of that line!

I don't know. They had dogs, and those dogs poopied. LOL!

Related to Alternative to 12 Days of Christmas...

What are some alternative ideas to celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas?

1. Instead of traditional gifts, consider giving experiences or acts of service for each day. This could include things like a homemade dinner, a day of pampering, or a fun outing.

2. Create a 12 Days of Christmas scavenger hunt with clues and small gifts for each day.

3. Make a donation to a charity or volunteer for 12 consecutive days, each day representing a different cause.

4. Have a themed 12 Days of Christmas party with friends or family, where each day represents a different holiday tradition or activity.

5. Incorporate a 12 Days of Christmas fitness challenge, with each day featuring a new workout or exercise routine.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PChefPEI
  • chefsteph07
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
chefsteph07
  • kristina16marie
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies