• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ahhh I Need Advice or Something!

In summary, the author is nervous about her first show and does not know what to expect. She recommends practicing at home and reminds the reader that she is not the perfect chef and that everyone is just people.
Becky0216
Ok, to you all this probaly doesn't sound bad. It may sound the exact opposite.
Well My first real show is March 7th. I will not have anyone to practice on before hand. Well out of all the shows I have booked, this is the only one with people I don't know (incl. host). That wouldn't be so bad except for the fact of who the people are.
My husband works at the corporate office of a local supermarket chain. The host is the daughter of the Founder of the company. Well, I got her guest list yesterday. So far I have the CEO's daughter, the CFO's daughter, the CEO's wife, etc..... ITS THE WHOLE FREAKIN FAMILY!
Now normally i wouldn't care. If my husband didn't work directly under these people, then they would just be any old people to me. But Anything I do reflects on my husband. I am gonna be super nervous at this show already cause it's my first. Now I have this stress. I dont even know what I am doing yet. I have no clue for food options to give her... I am a mess.

This has the potential to be a 2k show or more based on the people there and how much they like to buy. How can I get my act together and just get through this with a solid plan?

They are just people like you and me - they put their pants on the same way we do, 1 leg at a time. They just want to have fun, eat some great food and see amazing products!! I can understand you being nervous, but remember, they are just people - not a CFO's daughter or the CEO's wife. They are people. What you do will NOT reflect upon your husband. Obviously they like him and his performance at work enough to book a show with you! So that says a lot about him already...you shouldn't stress out. They are just people.
I would suggest a recipe that you are comfortable with and that you know is super yummy and maybe pair it with the Triple Chocolate Fudge microwave cake because it always gets wows and is very impressive - plus you'll sell a fluted stone GUARANTEED!!
Relax, have fun, remember that they want to have fun - and they are just people like you!!!

Your DH may know them, I sincerely doubt that they know him. Just be yourself, do your best, and act surprised if anyone of them makes the connection. My bet is that they won't make the connection.And if they do, so what?

Becky - did you get the interactive show DVD? Do an interactive show, involve them! Let me tell you, they will feel less secure than you EVER will. :)It will all be fine, relax and have fun!

Ok - don't panic - WE were all nervous our first shows!!

Practice at home - do a pretend show - for your DH, kids, even some stuffed animals - walk thru your show - over and over -

Make cheat sheets!

When I did my first show - I started like this:

Hi everyone, my name is Doreen and I will be your Pampered Chef consultant for the evening - this is my very first show so if I seem nervous, its because I am, If I talk fast, its because I do, so feel free to raise your hand and ask me to slow down or repeat myself.

You will be amazed how many people are super nice and understanding - especially at your first shows - Remember the saying - Your the Pampered Chef not the Perfect chef!!

Don't worry - you will be fine!!

well, I guess that means I have to buy a fluted stone... :) I don't have one yet. If I order now, I should have it in time for the show. Just need time to practice. I am trying to relax. Yesterday I was a mess. I almost wanted to cry. I want this so bad and most people would be going crazy with excitement to have the opportunity to sell to a gang of rich people. I am just so scared I will screw up.

If you're doing a recipe, do it over, and over, and over until your family is completely sick of it, then do it some more. I can still make my first show recipe without the cookbook!

Actually they do know my DH cause he is the go to guy for any of their issues. This is a smaller company, not tiny, but not as big as GIANT. So they all really like DH, but thats what scares me. What if I do or say something they don't like. I don't want to make DH look bad through me.

Janet, I still didn't get my DVD. I heard for new Cons. it will take 90 days.

Anyone have some great recipe they use? I will try that cake (as soon as I get the pan), but I could use more options to give my host.

Personally, I don't like the microwave cakes - I know alot of people like them - but I think they are a very strange texture and consistency (in Cooking language - they don't have a good "crumb") and I would never serve one to people I was trying to impress!

Some of the recipes that get the most WOW's for me are:

Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake
Seven Layer Southwestern Salad
Strawberry Spinach Salad
Incredible 30 Minute Chicken
Garlic Parmesan Biscuit Bites
Mini Pesto Pizzas
Cran-Raspberry Fizz
Mom's Apple Crisp

The Aloha Pizza was a hit by me too...

Where do I get these recipes? Are they on the website? That skillet cake sounds good.

Here you go!:thumbup: :thumbup: I actually included a couple other recipes that are always Crowd Pleasers - Clubhouse Chicken Squares and Tomato Basil Squares.....I think both of these can be done with just New Consultant Kit products....and I didn't know how many other products you might have.Oh - and the other recipes are on CC - look under F/W 2007 Season's Best!

Attachments

• Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake.doc
    73 KB · Views: 257
  • SevenLayer Southwestern Salad.doc
    70 KB · Views: 235
  • Mom's Apple Crisp Card.doc
    75.5 KB · Views: 245
  • ClubHouseChickenSquares.doc
    71.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Tomato Basil Squares.doc
    69 KB · Views: 229
Club House Chicken Squares and Aloha Pizza were hits for me. Along with Chocolate Chip Sensation. I agree with everyone else, they are people too, don't be too concerned. Practice your show in front of your DH, your cat, a friend, someone who will listen. I did one for DH and our cat! DH made the cat ask some very weird questions but if I can do it in front of DH, I can do it in front of anyone!

Becky, thanks for those. I am excited to try that cake.

Take your current Season's Best & go from there. I offer only 6 recipe choices (3 appetizer & 3 desserts) from that cookbook for my hosts to choose (only 1) as the demo recipe. I would definitely go interactive. It takes all the focus off of you. The aloha pizza & jerk chicken nachos are super easy & a big hit with guests. The garlic bites are another good add-on recipe. Delicious too!

It might be difficult, but, RELAX! Nobody is perfect (nor will they expect you to be) and even if you mess up it will be fine. I still have flubs now & then & unless I mention it the guests usually don't notice. Just go & have fun & they will too.

I agree with the other posters: PRACTICE at home! For anyone! For no one!

Before my first show I practiced in front of DH so much - one time he finally just got up and left and told me HE could make the recipe if I didn't know how!! Then I was left demo-ing in front of the cats.I have to tell you they were way more interested in the products then DH! But it was too funny having two cats sit and watch me - I think they thought they were going to get a snack!!

So, pick your recipe and practice it - alot. You will feel better on the day of your show.

In your post:
"Now normally i wouldn't care. If my husband didn't work directly under these people, then they would just be any old people to me."
You need to put in your mind that they are just people you don't know! If you didn't have the guest list before hand - you wouldn't have known who they were when you got there.

Some recipes I like so far:
Clubhouse Chicken Squares
Elegant Artichoke Cups
Mini-Ham Puffs
Rings or braids

I would be nervous about trying a microwave cake. I am having trouble with them at home in the fluted pan. And since everyone's microwave is different, I would be nervous on how it is going to turn out at a host's house. I did one at my last show and it was the chocolate cake with icing in the rice cooker. When I got there, the host's microwave did not have a turntable, so I had to turn it every 2-1/2 minutes. I also don't think it turned out that well. I think it is hard to be paying attention to cakes doneness minute by minute while having to demo.

Once you have been doing this awhile - it will probably be easier to do a microwave cake and it won't be a big deal if it doesn't turn out. This last show where it didn't turn out so well was no big deal since the wine had been flowing since I got there! LOL :)

Good Luck!

Becky0216 said:
Becky, thanks for those. I am excited to try that cake.

I do that cake all the time for Chocolate Bliss Shows. You could use the Chocolate Bliss Invitations then too - people seem to really respond to that invite!:D

If you don't have Choc. Bliss Invites, just put a blurb on the ones you are using about it being a Chocolate Bliss Show.;)

Do something simple, and don't freak yourself out. Why are you concerned you'd say something they don't like? Just talk about PC and how wonderful it is to use in your kitchen. In the mean time, use your products at home for everything so you have lots of excitement to share with the guests. Don't talk about your dh or his work. If it's brought up by someone, just smile and nod, agree as much as possible and move back to PC. You may have a little paranoia going on. (How do you spell that word, anyway?)
I agree with Becky about the micro cake. Those are fussy, and everyone's microwave is different.

wadesgirl said:
Club House Chicken Squares and Aloha Pizza were hits for me. Along with Chocolate Chip Sensation. I agree with everyone else, they are people too, don't be too concerned. Practice your show in front of your DH, your cat, a friend, someone who will listen. I did one for DH and our cat! DH made the cat ask some very weird questions but if I can do it in front of DH, I can do it in front of anyone!

TOO FUNNY!!!

kam said:
TOO FUNNY!!!

You don't know our cat, he does have a personality of his own!

This is what I do for my recipes, I pick 4-6 recipes each season. I try to make them from different groups: desserts, chocolate, appetizer, etc. That way if I have repeat hosts they get to pick something different but I'm not changing recipes and products out every month. Right now I have 5 which are all from the new SBRB: Greek Cheese Torta, Lemon Cakes, Chocolate Velvet Cake, One Pot Pasta and Cheeseburger Salad. I try to stick with the current theme shows because HO provides us with wonderful materials to use. This is the first time I've offered all SB recipes, last season I used some of the hit recipes that I've done previously: Club House Chicken Squares, Aloha Pizza, Chocolate Chip Sensation, Ham and Cheese Brunch Squares (I had two more but they weren't big hits!). Do what ever you are comfortable with. When I first started, I offered two recipes, the host picked one until I got more comfortable and tried more recipes.

The Mini Pesto Pizzas recipe is in your Season's Best.
That's what I did at my first show. It's easy and quick, and I haven't met a person who didn't love them.

Ok, I have some great ideas now. I just have to get practicing. Time is running out. I have a week trip to fl on sat., so that wipes a whole lot of practice time out.
Thanks alot. I just have to work on nerves.

one quick ? Is the skillet cake done in a 10" or 12"?

12"! It would overflow in the 10"

ok. Thanks. I just got mine delivered yesterday.

Becky0216 said:
Ok, I have some great ideas now. I just have to get practicing. Time is running out. I have a week trip to fl on sat., so that wipes a whole lot of practice time out.
If you're driving, take your tools along!

Becky0216 said:

Practice your lines to yourself if you are driving. If you have a tape recorder, record yourself so you can play back later.

FYI, I still use cheat sheets at my shows. Keeps me on track and helps me to remember the little things that I keep forgetting!

One of my favorites when I started was the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries... the only thing you need to cook is the pastry dough and I always did that before the guest arrived. I did this with the Antipasto Veggie Pizza. My sister calls this combo "chick food"!
And don't forget about a trifle... super easy and NO cooking.

Gee, here we have an important discussion going on and you want to make a trifle out of it.

Besides, a new consultant might not have the trifle bowl.

Last edited:
Becky,View this as a positive. Here's a great chance for you to qualify in just one show! And I bet you'll become their go-to gal for PC items, just like DH is their go-to guy at the market.As far as them projecting a bad impression from you onto DH - don't worry about it! It sounds like they have a fantastic view of your husband already. Unless you tell them that DH thinks they're all idiots, why would your performance change that? If you're still nervous, tell them that it's your first live show and please overlook any mistakes. They're going to be there to have fun - not judge you.

i am also relatively new and totally feel for you....this is a wonderful opportunity but pretty scary! i have found that the warm nutty caramel brownies are a big hit and involve the guests. it uses only our new consultant kit tools. its in the f/w season's best

i still say the following at my shows "I'm a new consultant...so that will be my excuse when i mess up here, and will amaze you when i get it right!" people always laugh!

if everyone already likes your husband, they will automatically like you, because they will associate you with someone who solves their problems.

HAVE FUN and let us know how it goes!

thanks. I didn't think of a trifle. I am trying out the turtle skillet cake tonight. I also want to try out a main dish tonight. I just don't know which one. I haven't done a show yet, so I am kinda scared to do an interactive one to start out with. What if no one wantes to help?

ALso, I am flying to FL with a hubby and 2 small kids, so not much time to practice.

does anyone alter the clubhouse chicken squares? like not add the dill or cucumber?

It couldn't hurt, especially if you don't like dill and cucumber. What I always tell hosts who forget ingredients or get the wrong ones is "no one knows what it's supposed to taste like, anyway!"

The cucumber tastes like the lettuce that's usually on a club sandwich. I don't think I've ever skipped it, but I have accidentally forgotten the dill mix and it's been fine.

I did this for my first showI was actually not as nervous as I'd expected, for my first show. I have made this recipe a dozen times, and it is super easy to get your guests involved. For me, once my guests get involved there are ZERO nerves. I used this outline too, so that I'd have a quick reference for all of the products I used.

HTH - let us know how it goes!!

Attachments

• Outline for CHICKEN CLUB RECIPE.doc
    34 KB · Views: 281
  • Chicken Club Brunch Ring recipe.doc
    26 KB · Views: 316
Becky0216 said:
does anyone alter the clubhouse chicken squares? like not add the dill or cucumber?

I forgot the dill mix for my show last night - so I was trying to think of what I had in my kit that would have that same "bright" flavor. I ended up subbing the Greek Rub for it, and everyone RAVED about the CCS!!!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
I forgot the dill mix for my show last night - so I was trying to think of what I had in my kit that would have that same "bright" flavor. I ended up subbing the Greek Rub for it, and everyone RAVED about the CCS!!!:D

Ooh, new use - cool!

I made the Greek Cheese Torta last night to get a "springy" atmosphere to the show/food - everyone LOVED it!!!!!

This has got to be my new favorite appetizer!

We served it with the bread AND rosemary and olive oil triscuits on a large square platter...after seeing the platter and telling them it was being discontinued I sold 2...granted to the host and past host at 60% off, but still...

I always forget the mayo! And I use our Italian Seasoning instead of Dill. I think the cucumbers make the recipe. And they can be picked off. It recommends to deseed the cucumber first, the seeds can cause gas which is the reason why some people don't eat cucumbers to begin with.

I always forget the mayo! And I use our Italian Seasoning instead of Dill. I think the cucumbers make the recipe. And they can be picked off. It recommends to deseed the cucumber first, the seeds can cause gas which is the reason why some people don't eat cucumbers to begin with.

PamperedDor said:
Ok - don't panic - WE were all nervous our first shows!!

Practice at home - do a pretend show - for your DH, kids, even some stuffed animals - walk thru your show - over and over -

Make cheat sheets!

When I did my first show - I started like this:

Hi everyone, my name is Doreen and I will be your Pampered Chef consultant for the evening - this is my very first show so if I seem nervous, its because I am, If I talk fast, its because I do, so feel free to raise your hand and ask me to slow down or repeat myself.

You will be amazed how many people are super nice and understanding - especially at your first shows - Remember the saying - Your the Pampered Chef not the Perfect chef!!

Don't worry - you will be fine!!
Great advice!

It's understandable to be nervous - we were all nervous at our first shows too. But, like others have said, they're just normal people the same as you and I.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

I understand that doing your first show for family or friends is perhaps the norm, but they can also be the most challenging because they know you. So, perhaps you are safer with those who do not know you. There is something in the Bible about a Prophet not being listened to in his own circles.
You will do just fine if you have made the recipe several times with good results.

At my first few shows I asked them to make constructive suggestions on how I could improve my presentation. One nurse suggested that I wear food handling gloves when handling food. She also caught me putting one of my knives back in the protective cover without washing it - which could have caused bacteria to grow in the protective cover. Another time, my daughter caught me licking my finger - nasty thought now, but I have kept a damp microfiber towel handy to keep from doing that again. We all learn as we go. We will all be praying for your success. I had lots of prayer warriors when I started, for sure. Even now, I have prayer backup from my husband every time I do a show.

Grandmarita said:
I understand that doing your first show for family or friends is perhaps the norm, but they can also be the most challenging because they know you. So, perhaps you are safer with those who do not know you. There is something in the Bible about a Prophet not being listened to in his own circles.
You will do just fine if you have made the recipe several times with good results.

At my first few shows I asked them to make constructive suggestions on how I could improve my presentation. One nurse suggested that I wear food handling gloves when handling food. She also caught me putting one of my knives back in the protective cover without washing it - which could have caused bacteria to grow in the protective cover. Another time, my daughter caught me licking my finger - nasty thought now, but I have kept a damp microfiber towel handy to keep from doing that again. We all learn as we go. We will all be praying for your success. I had lots of prayer warriors when I started, for sure. Even now, I have prayer backup from my husband every time I do a show.
My sister is a nurse and when she bought the knives, she commented on running a swab on the covers after a month. I told her that it's alot better than her knife block sitting on her counter because they do come apart and you can wash them too. I had a host's daughter put my knife back in dirty once (how many times do I have to tell kids to not touch the knives?!). It's great that they do come apart.

WOW! I did not know that they came apart. I learn something new everyday!

For first time shows, I always suggest the chicken broccoli braid (everyone loves it!), or mini-pesto pizzas. I like to do a simple dessert like cookie kisses.
Don't worry about being nervous--- once you start talking, you'll nerves will fade away!

The original post was from last year!

wadesgirl said:

Yeah, but I wasn't here then, and she didn't come back and tell us how it went.

Becky, what did you end up making, and was this the show that did over $2k??

wadesgirl said:

LOL!!! That is so funny, it came back alive!

Related to Ahhh I Need Advice or Something!

1. What are some tips for preparing for my first Pampered Chef show?

First, make sure you have all the necessary supplies and materials for the show. This includes product samples, order forms, and any other materials provided by Pampered Chef. Next, practice your presentation and familiarize yourself with the products you will be showcasing. It may also be helpful to attend a training session or watch online videos to learn more about the products and how to effectively sell them.

2. How can I calm my nerves before and during a Pampered Chef show?

Take deep breaths and remind yourself that you are prepared and knowledgeable about the products. It may also help to have a friend or family member attend the show for support. Remember to smile and have a positive attitude, as this will make you more approachable to potential customers.

3. What should I do if I don't have anyone to practice on before my first show?

If you don't have anyone to practice on, try practicing your presentation in front of a mirror or record yourself and watch it back to see where you can improve. You can also reach out to your Pampered Chef mentor or team leader for tips and advice.

4. How should I handle a show with people I don't know?

Treat the show like any other and be friendly and welcoming to everyone who attends. Remember that you are there to sell products, not make friends. Focus on your presentation and providing great customer service.

5. What can I do to make sure this show is successful?

First, make sure you have a solid plan for the show. This includes deciding on food options, creating a timeline for the presentation, and setting goals for sales. Be sure to also follow up with guests after the show and provide exceptional customer service to encourage repeat business. Lastly, try to relax and have fun - a positive attitude can go a long way in making a successful show!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookin to the top
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sailorsarah
Replies