• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

after all."Experimenting with Microwave Baking: Adapting Traditional Recipes

In summary, Abigail adapted a traditional ham and scalloped potato recipe in the microwave and it was yummy.
pkd09
Silver Member
I will be the first to admit I am not a creative person so I am thankful I can follow a recipe :) But....I have been experimenting with adapting traditional recipes in the DCB and baking in the microwave. Last night I did leftover ham from Easter and scalloped potatoes. It was yummy. Now I just have to write it down so I can remember what I did :) So to those like me, think out of the box. It is only food

Wow, so did you make scalloped potatoes in the dcb or were they leftover and you heated them up? I always make mine in the square baker in the oven but they take so long, I'd love to know I could put them in the microwave! Way to go with the experimenting! Love how PC makes life so fun:)

What prompted me to do the recipe was I googled a ham & scalloped potato recipe and found out it was going to take me 1 1/2 hours in the oven. Waaay to long! So I thought....why not adapt it in the DCB in the microwave. Here it is

Ingredients I used: 3 yukon gold potatoes, 1/2 green pepper, small onion, salt, pepper, butter, diced ham, can of cream of mushroom soup, 3/4 cup milk divided, approx 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese.

Directions: I sliced the potatoes & onion with mandoline and put them in DCB. I sliced the green pepper and placed that in DCB too. Added salt and pepper and approx 1/2 cup milk. Covered and placed in microwave 10 min. I then gently tossed the mixture and put back in microwave for another 10 minutes. Then put slices of butter and diced ham on top. Mixed soup with remaining 1/4 cup milk and put that over the ham. Placed back in microwave for about 3 minutes. Grated cheese with microplane coarse grater (I could have used the mandoline again but I LOVE the coarse grater :) and put over top of soup mixture. Placed back in microwave again for about 1 1/2 minutes until cheese was melted.

Was very good and creamy. Will definitely do it again and in actuality could use it as a demo.

*the potatoes were not left overs. I rinsed them and sliced them....skin and all

Last edited:
I made scalloped potatoes and ham in the DCB this week too and it was awesome!!!

I forgot butter! I put thin slices of butter on top of the potatoes. Just had left overs for lunch. So good...it is definitely a keeper not to mention cheap & quick.

pkd09 said:
I forgot butter! I put thin slices of butter on top of the potatoes. Just had left overs for lunch. So good...it is definitely a keeper not to mention cheap & quick.

Your directions say 3 potatoes. The Yukon gold potatoes we have here are small round ones. Can you guess how many cups they ended up being once sliced or how full was theDCB? Thanks

One potato was larger and the other two typical smaller ones. I did 3 only because that is how many I make for just my DH and myself any other time. You could easily put in more if you wanted. I'd just eye-ball it at the bottom of the baker.

Omg Pat that sounds soooooooo delicious and easy! I am totally going to have to make them! I love scalloped potatoes but never make them because they take forever! I am going to work this into next weeks menu! Thanks for sharing!

Abigail I hope you enjoy....I know I did:) I will never do them in the oven again...it takes to long.

1. How do I adjust cooking times when using the microwave for baking?

When adapting traditional recipes for microwave baking, it is important to reduce the cooking time by approximately 25-30%. This is because microwaves cook food faster and more evenly than traditional ovens. It is recommended to check the food periodically and adjust the time as needed to prevent overcooking.

2. Can I use metal pans or utensils in the microwave when baking?

No, it is not safe to use metal pans or utensils in the microwave when baking. The microwaves can cause sparks and damage to the appliance. It is best to use microwave-safe glass or ceramic dishes for baking in the microwave.

3. How do I know if my recipe is suitable for microwave baking?

Not all recipes can be adapted for microwave baking. Foods that require a crispy or crunchy texture, such as breads and pastries, may not turn out as desired when cooked in the microwave. It is best to stick to recipes that are specifically designed for microwave baking or experiment with simple recipes, such as cakes and muffins, before trying more complicated ones.

4. Can I still use my conventional oven for recipes that have been adapted for microwave baking?

Yes, you can still use your conventional oven for recipes that have been adapted for microwave baking. However, be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Microwaves cook food faster, so the baking time may be shorter in the conventional oven.

5. Do I need to preheat the microwave before baking?

No, there is no need to preheat the microwave before baking. Unlike conventional ovens, microwaves do not require preheating. Simply follow the recipe instructions and start cooking the dish right away.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
PamperedSD
  • Pampered Angel