• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Advice for Enthusiastic Consultant

In summary, a consultant is struggling with promoting to director and becoming discouraged when people do not sign up for the business opportunity. Despite receiving coaching and pep talks, she is not understanding that not everyone will be interested. Suggestions include mirroring the demeanor of potential prospects, tailoring the approach to their interests, and practicing with a partner.
finley1991
First I will say that I'm running on about 14 hours of sleep over the last 3 nights... but I need to do something about this and am not quite sure when I can expect my brain to turn on so I'm looking to tap the fabulous brains who lurk here! :D

Here's the situation: I have a consultant who is very much in love with her PC biz. She's amazing and is working her tail off. She has worked as an upper level manager at AT&T for about 15 years and was recently "surplussed." She was also on leave for AT&T 3 times in the last 12 months due to anxiety and stress caused from her job. Twice she was taken by ambulance from her office. She's decided that she wants to make PC her full-time career as it makes it her happy and it's so much less stress.

Here is where I am needing help. She is aggressively trying to promote to director. God bless her! She talks about our biz opportunity at every turn with every person she comes in contact with. It's cute and actually quite inspiring! I wish I had it in me to do that! Here lies the problem... she is getting discouraged because she's not getting the leads signed. I explained that 1 in 10 that she talks to will sign, etc. I've given her peptalks, coached her following the coaching guide and she's getting herself down. What the problem is is that she can't understand why people won't want to take advantage of this great biz and love it as much as she does. And she wants EVERYONE she talks to to sign. I've explained that NOT everyone she talks to will, but she's not getting that part.

Most of us deal with the situation of someone wanting to promote but they aren't asking enough. This is most certainly not the case with this lady!!!! She's asking SO much! I've explained that it's a numbers game and it's just a matter of time before she gets the yesses but she's still discouraged. I just not sure what to tell her... I don't want her to give up (obviously) and I know she won't... I just don't want her to exhaust herself in the process.

So with that... thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

PS: I'm starting a step-up class with her and another consultant next week. She's never been through that before so I'm hoping that will help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

Maybe she is turning people off with her exuberance. I remember something Nikki Keohoho said at our retreat last October--you have to mirror the demeanor of the person you are talking with. Also, is she tailoring what she is saying to the people she's talking to? You know, like finding out WHY they might be interested first and then appealing to that?Maybe she just needs some fine-tuning.

I agree. If she is throwing up all over them the people will run. THe step up class will surely help her.

Ask her to pretend that you are a potential and have her say what she says to them. That'll help you know where to start.

...and get some rest!

gosh...shouldn't we all have this problem?!

I agree with Deb. Get her to talk to you like she would a new prospect...maybe even record her. Her hearing herself "throw-up" might make a difference.

With the numbers game, isn't it every ten that are interested? Yes, sometimes we need to talk a little to make it obvious to them that they may be showing signs of interest.

Also, the 1 in 10 is not always a sure thing. When you are first starting out (or are losing your mojo like I have been!!) your ratio may be 1 in every 25 until you practice not just what to say, but when to say.

Perhaps practicing with her to show her how to take all of the focus off her once someone shows interest. If she is indeed putting all of her focus on them, she will figure out why God gave us two ears and one mouth. (I still struggle with this ratio!!!) And the two ears is not just to keep your hat on or keep your head balanced!!:approve:

DebbieJ said:
Maybe she is turning people off with her exuberance. I remember something Nikki Keohoho said at our retreat last October--you have to mirror the demeanor of the person you are talking with.

Also, is she tailoring what she is saying to the people she's talking to? You know, like finding out WHY they might be interested first and then appealing to that?

Maybe she just needs some fine-tuning.

Thanks Deb! You hit the nail right on the head and I'm certain that is the problem! And I remember what Nikki did and I think I'll work on that with her.

I'm also sure the Step Up class will help as well! I can't wait to get that started.

This has been quite a day... still fatigued and got some sad news from my cousin that sucked whatever life I had left in me out. Now all I want is a big bucket of chicken (just saw a KFC ad on tv and got the craving) and to stay in because it's yucky and rainy out!!!!

Tomorrow I will be back on track and roarin' to go!!!!

Thanks again for your help everyone! It's so great that we can all come together and help each other out! I LOVE DCS!!!!!! :D

I was going to suggest the Step Up class and then saw you already plan to do that. I think the class will give her just enough structure to realize she IS making progress....she's getting through no's. And as Deb said, it will help her take herself out of it. (It sounds like she's so enamored with the business that she's not hearing their why's, let alone addressing them.)

And if she gets too discouraged, let her know how much this experience is going to help her be a more effective director.

But hey, congratulations on having such a dynamo!!!

Yes, if she can keep that enthusiasm, it will pay off for both of you. She just may need some polishing. The more practice she does, the closer she is to that yes she is looking for!

I totally agree with Meg and Beth that you should role play and record her. After going through it all, she will likely see that she may need to tone it down a bit. One thing that I told one of mine that's a FD when she started to get discouraged is to think of a deck of cards. You could even draw cards around the group at your meeting. The Aces are "ace" consultants that are real go-getters and are involved in everything. The face cards are consistent, but don't have that extra something. The rest are just consultants. Some may just do the minimum to stay active, some may go in and out of being active. There are way more of those type, but when you "draw" the ace (which is a lot less often), you'll know. I have to remind myself of that often times, too! Congrats on recruiting such a go-getter! :party:

I've done the card game at my meetings... it's one of my favorite meeting activities!!!! Thanks for the reminder!!

I've never heard this (the card game) before....what a great visual!

1. How do I build a strong customer base as a new consultant?

Building a strong customer base as a new consultant takes time and effort. Start by reaching out to your friends and family and offering to host a cooking party for them. This will help you gain experience and practice your presentation skills. You can also attend local events or fairs to showcase your products and services. Utilize social media to promote your business and offer special deals or promotions to attract new customers. Finally, always provide excellent customer service to keep your customers coming back.

2. How do I stay organized and manage my time effectively as a consultant?

As a consultant, it's important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Utilize a planner or calendar to schedule your parties, appointments, and follow-ups. Set aside specific times for administrative tasks such as order processing and inventory management. Prioritize your tasks and focus on the most important ones first. It may also be helpful to delegate tasks to a virtual assistant or team member to free up some of your time.

3. What are some tips for increasing sales as a consultant?

There are several ways to increase sales as a consultant. First, always be prepared and knowledgeable about your products. This will help you confidently answer any questions and make recommendations to customers. Offer incentives or promotions to encourage customers to make a purchase. Utilize social media and email marketing to reach a wider audience. Finally, always follow up with customers and offer excellent customer service to build a strong relationship with them.

4. How do I handle difficult customers as a consultant?

Dealing with difficult customers can be challenging, but it's important to remain calm and professional. Listen to their concerns and try to find a solution that meets their needs. If necessary, involve your upline or customer service team for assistance. Remember to always maintain a positive attitude and provide excellent customer service, even in difficult situations.

5. How can I expand my business and grow as a consultant?

To expand your business and grow as a consultant, it's important to continuously educate yourself about new products and techniques. Attend training sessions and conferences offered by Pampered Chef to improve your skills and knowledge. Network with other consultants and share tips and ideas. Utilize social media and online platforms to reach a wider audience. Finally, always set goals for yourself and work towards achieving them to continue growing your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
baychef
  • pamperedbecky
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
pamperedbecky
Replies
Views
jwpamp