• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

A Mom's Worry: Dealing With a Sick Child

In summary, Carolyn's 5-year-old son is sick and she is worried about the trip to Atlantis. He will be with his dad and new stepmom. Carolyn is worried about the fever and whether or not it means something more serious. She is also worried about leaving her son.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
My 5-year-old was running a fever of 101.3 last night. I can't stand the thought of going away when he is sick :(
Thankfully he woke up this morning with no fever and feeling fine...but I am still worried :(

Hope the sickies stay away!! Have a great trip too!!

I can totally understand not wanting to leave, but will he be with someone you love and trust? Stress can even bring that out in kids sometimes and he can sense that you may be stressed about the trip (even if you are excited about it). If he seems fine, he probably is.

Jules711 said:
I can totally understand not wanting to leave, but will he be with someone you love and trust? Stress can even bring that out in kids sometimes and he can sense that you may be stressed about the trip (even if you are excited about it). If he seems fine, he probably is.

He'll be with his dad and his new stepmom. I certainly trust them. I just worry, ya know? Tahnkfully Atlantis is only like 1/2 hour away from here so if, God Forbid, somethign happens and I need to get home fast...I can.

His fever is back now :(

Carolyn,
I really hope he gets feeling better. I know if it was me on the trip I would be worried about him and calling tons. When do you leave?

Jennie4PC said:
Carolyn,
I really hope he gets feeling better. I know if it was me on the trip I would be worried about him and calling tons. When do you leave?

Tomorrow around noon.

Aww, I hope the little guy gets to feeling better soon and you're able to really enjoy your trip.

Okay, I do not usually go to the doctor until my kids have been sick for a little while. However, this is when I would recommend going. Just make sure he does not have Strepp or something else that could be cured with antibiotics.

If it were me, that would give me a little bit of a piece of mind.

Good luck! You worked very hard for this trip and definitely deserve to go and totally enjoy yourself!

Lisa

Go and have fun. His dad can take care of him.

ChefLisa said:
Okay, I do not usually go to the doctor until my kids have been sick for a little while. However, this is when I would recommend going. Just make sure he does not have Strepp or something else that could be cured with antibiotics.

Good luck! You worked very hard for this trip and definitely deserve to go and totally enjoy yourself!

Lisa

I just spoke to his school nurse ( he goes to a tiny preschool) and she said this is going around - a few days of fever with no other major symptoms. She said we should wait til tomorrow before bringing him to the ped. So, my mom will keep him tomorrow while his Dad's at work and my older on eis at school. Then Dad'll pick Danny up from school and pick Sam up from my mom's. I'll have mom make a ped appt for after-school hours if the fever persists during the day. This is so nerveracking...

Have fun:) And don't worry, I"m sure he'll be fine! (yeah right, a mom not worry? lol!)
Have a great trip:D

ChefLisa said:

Lisa
Yep, that's what just happened with me. My son had barely been complaining of a sore throat for a few days. Nothing that disturbed his eating or sleeping and he had no fever. I finally took him in on Saturday. Sure enough, he has strep, but had NO other symptoms. I hope your little guy gets better, Carolyn!! I'd be a worry wort too.:)

Go and fun Carolyn!! you're leaving him in competent hands!!!

Hey, did you get your postcard from me? What did Evan say?

Would you mind sending me one from Atlantis?

Carolyn~

Go...have fun...he will be WELL taken care of!

Mom's need to take time for themselves, too, and this is your time for that. His Dad and your Mom will take good care of him, I am sure!

PampMomof3 said:
Go and fun Carolyn!! you're leaving him in competent hands!!!

Hey, did you get your postcard from me? What did Evan say?

Would you mind sending me one from Atlantis?

Email me your address.
I am probably not going to get online before I leave but if i can get web access from Atlantis, I'll be able to get your address and mail you a postcard -- read my other thread about the SF postcards - it was wonderful!!

Related to A Mom's Worry: Dealing With a Sick Child

What are some tips for managing a sick child while also juggling other responsibilities?

As a Pampered Chef consultant and a mom, I understand the challenges of caring for a sick child while trying to balance work and household responsibilities. Here are a few tips that may help:

• Be prepared: Keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet and a first-aid kit on hand so you can quickly tend to your child's needs.
  • Ask for help: Don't be afraid to reach out to family, friends, or neighbors for assistance with childcare or household tasks.
  • Communicate with your employer: If you work outside the home, make sure to communicate with your employer about your child's illness and discuss any necessary accommodations.
  • Utilize technology: Take advantage of online shopping and delivery services to save time and energy.
  • Take care of yourself: It's important to prioritize self-care during this stressful time. Make sure to get enough rest, eat well, and stay hydrated.

What are some quick and easy meal ideas for a sick child?

When a child is sick, their appetite may be reduced or they may have specific dietary restrictions. Here are a few simple meal ideas that are easy to prepare and can accommodate a variety of dietary needs:

• Chicken noodle soup: This classic comfort food is easy to digest and can be made with gluten-free or vegetarian options.
  • Mashed potatoes: They are soft, easy to swallow, and can be flavored with different toppings like cheese, herbs, or gravy.
  • Smoothies: These can be packed with nutrients and can be easily customized to fit your child's preferences. You can also sneak in some fruits or vegetables for added nutrition.
  • Scrambled eggs: A simple and quick breakfast option that can provide protein and energy for a sick child.
  • Toast with avocado: Avocado is a great source of healthy fats and can be spread on toast for a quick and nutritious meal.

How can I keep my home clean and germ-free when my child is sick?

It can be challenging to keep your home clean when caring for a sick child, but here are some tips to help prevent the spread of germs:

• Wash your hands frequently: Make sure to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after caring for your child.
  • Disinfect commonly touched surfaces: Use disinfectant wipes or sprays to clean surfaces like doorknobs, light switches, and countertops.
  • Use disposable items: Consider using paper plates, cups, and utensils to avoid spreading germs through dishes.
  • Keep sick child's items separate: Use separate towels, blankets, and water bottles for your sick child to avoid spreading germs to other family members.
  • Open windows for fresh air: Fresh air can help reduce the concentration of germs in your home.

What are some ways to help my child feel more comfortable when they are sick?

Sickness can be uncomfortable and exhausting for children, so here are some tips to help them feel more at ease:

• Provide plenty of fluids: It's important for sick children to stay hydrated, so make sure to offer them water, juice, or broth throughout the day.
  • Use a cool mist humidifier: This can help ease congestion and coughing.
  • Offer comfort items: A favorite stuffed animal, blanket, or book can provide comfort and distraction for a sick child.
  • Use essential oils: Certain essential oils, like lavender or eucalyptus, can help promote relaxation and ease symptoms of illness.
  • Give lots of love and attention: Your child may just need some extra cuddles and attention to help them feel better.

What are some ways to prevent illness in the first place?

Prevention is key, so here are some tips to help reduce the chances of your child getting sick:

• Encourage healthy habits: Make sure your child is washing their hands regularly, getting enough sleep, and eating a balanced diet to help boost their immune system.
  • Teach proper hygiene: Show your child how to properly cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing and

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
robbiesmom123
  • buckeyefan08
  • General Chat
Replies