• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Sick Baby Tips: How to Help Christopher Recover Quickly

more than likely he will prescribe something.I think it is definitely time to take him to the ER. I'm concerned about his breathing and his overall health.
buckeyefan08
Christopher is so sick. He's been sick for about three weeks and the ped. doesn't seem concerned because the cold isn't in his lungs. (yet) He has a runny nose, his eyes have the green ooze coming out of them (it's not pink eye) he coughs untill he throws up, and it sounds like he has rocks in his chest when he breathes. He has had a fever, It was 102 Saturday night. They have taken infant cold meds off the market (or so it seems). The humidifier and fluids the dr. has reccomended aren't working. He is only six months old and weights about 19lbs. Any tips?
Thanks!

So, is his nose all congested? I know saline drops and a nasal aspirator always helped Evan...even though he hated it!

Also...try putting a blanket that is folded up a bit under his mattress to keep his head elevated a bit...sometimes that helps with the coughing when they are trying to sleep.

Just stay on top of it, and listen to your gut instincts. If your pedi isn't paying attention and you feel he is getting worse, take him into the ER.

First, I would get him back to the doctor.

My second 2 were prone to croup when they got sick. If he is having trouble breathing (I'm not sure if that is what you're describing with the "sounds like rocks in his chest" part) then get him checked out again. They can get a steroid shot that really help to get the airways open again. It is really important to get them help if their breathing becomes very difficult.

Being sick for 3 weeks and having a fever since Saturday does not seem "normal" for a 6 month old. When was the last time you saw the doctor.

Also, you should be able to get infant tylenol and ibuprofen - I always use the target brand, it's WAY cheaper.

Let us know what happens, and I'll say a prayer too.

I don't have any advice for you, but I hope the little one gets better soon! I know it' so scary!

I would take him back to the Dr.... I hope he feels better soon. Poor baby

I would take him in again, or even to a different Dr. and see what they say. I hope he gets better soon! It's so miserable to see a little one so sick, hang in there!

I have been using saline and the aspirator and the head of his bed is inclined.
The girls used to get croup, it's not that kind of cough. I don't think you ever forget that cough! The fever has not been since Saturday, he just had it Saturday night and motrin brought it down. Sorry I should have explained it better.

I ditto the doctor idea - a baby that young shouldn't be sick that long - and if he has a temp - thats even more of a reason - don't leave till you are comfortable with the answer you receive - follow your instinct! Good luck and I hope he feels better real soon!

go back to the doc. if he still doesn't sound concerned get a second opinion. i'm enough of a brat to let them know i'm not satisfied and will be seeing another doc. last time i tried to tell myself my kids clod was "just a cold" it ended up being pneumonia. if you have a nurse advice line available to you use it. good luck to you! i hope you little one gets better.

I hope your baby feels better soon!

My advice would be to put Baby Vick's on his feet and then put socks on. That is supposed to help draw out the cold.

Amy

Thanks Amy!
I've heard that for adults but never thought to do it for him!

I called the doctor and they have no appoimtments available and told me if I was that concerned to take him to th ER!:eek::grumpy: I think it's time to go else where! They said with him not having a fever they would not call anything in for him, it has to run it's course. If I take him to the ER I don't think they will do anything. I know he's well hydrated and he has no fever right now. I've also been watching for signs that his oxygen levels are low but he seems fine.

Thanks for all the tips and prayers! You guys are great!

Last edited:
It sounds as though he has allergies. The fever could have been a fluke for one night (teething is what I'm thinking). I am uncertain of the age you can give any antihistamines since they changed the regulations recently. You might push the doctor that if it is allergy related you want an antihistamine with proper dosing for his weight/age. I understand how hard it can be to have a sick child.

If there is green anything coming out of anywhere I'd go to the doctor. Do you have an urgent care? do you have an HMO ? If you do, call them and tell them you have a sick baby and the doctor can't fit you in. They'll call the doctor and make it happen. I can't believe the doctor couldn't try to fit you in.

Go into the bathroom (the smallest one in the house) and turn on the hot water in the shower, then make sure your bathroom door is shut and even put a towel under the bottom crack. Stay in the bathroom for about 15 mins (no less) and you will be sweating but the steam does wonders! Also I agree with the other post on the saline drops ( called little noses )

Did they X-ray him?

We all had this cold too It was very long and drawn out. My 3 yr old did develop Bronchilitis (in an infant it would have been RSV) and mild Pnumonia. I 2nd 3rd and 4th taking him to someone else (definetly a pediatrition not Fam practice)!!!!

When my daughter was sick last winter (she was only 4 months) I used Johnson & Johnson Vapor Bath (I found it in the baby section w/ all the lotions and soaps at WalMart).. It smells like Vic's VapoRub.. It worked well..(I even use it if I am congested)
Also my dr. told me to use a nebulizer.. I would maybe mention it to your dr... Even now if she gets a cough I use the nebi once or twice and it clears it right up!! & it's not just another medicine, so it's great!
& of course keeping the little man on an incline will help.. & I would asperate snot out of her nose constantly, but I found it easier to barely stick a Q-Tip in her nose & it pulled everything right out!

My grandson was real sick for weeks and weeks when he was 2 months old. My daughter kept taking him back.. They tried this.. and tried that.. he finally after months got better. At a new DR. when he got sick again.. They asked if he had ever had RSV. My daughter said no....but how whould you know.. they said by a test. She said no test was ever given.. so they tested him.. and guess what.. he was positive for RSV
So my moral of the story is... if you don't get satisfaction from one.. seek a new one. Jayce had to have treatments the first 2 years after that.. and had lung scarring. We knew better.. that he needed more help.. but settled for what the DR said. Won't do that again. Go with your gut feeling. And this is not to scare you.. but we must be in charge of our own health .. can't rely on anyone anymore. If it doesn't feel right.. search until you find someone who will answer to you.. the comsumer.. who is paying the big bucks for answers. LOL I will pray for your little one. I say if there is green.. it's gotta go. Good luck and keep us posted. I will also pray for your stress. It is so hard to watch a little one be sick. You are doing the right thing questioning this DR And there are good DRs out there.

I know doctors are so reluctant to give out antibiotics anymore, but green from the eyes means something is going on, even if it isn't in his lungs. Be sure when they check him the check eyes, ears nose and mouth. I agree with Ginger, you're the one paying all the money for the doctor, make them give you the answers you deserve and definitely go with your gut, it is your child. The doctor doesn't have to like you, he/she is your employee. If he is in any distress, go to the ER.My prayers are with you. You're a good mom to be concerned.

Well, I did the saline and suction, did vicks on his feet, took him in the bathroom with the shower on, gave him a bottle and he's been sleeping peacfully for a few hours. He really needed some good rest. I also called DH and we decided that if he isn't doing any better by tomarrow (or gets any worse) we will call the pediatritian and if he is still not concerned we will take him to a different dr. or urgent care.
Thank you all for your help and concern! Sometimes I think my "virtual friends" care more than my "real friends"!

Now I feel bad though, I have to wake him up to pick Payton up from school:rolleyes: I so wish we had bussing!

I second the Johnson's Calming Vapor Oil/Wash is good. They seem to clear a baby's congestions before bed. You could try that. :)

Last edited:
I would be pushy with the Dr. If he tells you that he is fine and it will go away and you aren't happy with that - then tell him that isnt good enough of an answer. You are his mom and know him best!!!!!!!

Old school - don't give him anything milk related. It makes mucus thicker. Also try to stay away from sugary juices. that just feeds infection. My boys lived on Pedilyte (not sure how to spell it anymore they are 20 & 18 now) for the 1st year of their life. Allergies were mostly to blame. Especially when the weather changed. The cough would start. They also were on albuterol. It really helped. I am not sure if the drs give that so readily any more. It causes a rapid heartbeat. The steam shower is a great way to unstop the head. I also used to set them up right and just pat their backs gently to help loosen the mucus. And trust your gut. Take him to another dr. Green mucus is not normal. Don't let the PHD's intimidate you. Good luck and I hope and pray that he is doing better.

SO sorry! I hope he's feeling better now.

I know whenever I've taken my kids in with the "green ooze" from the eyes, the nurses have said they definitely have something, even before the dr sees them. They've told me it's a telltale sign, and, at least in my kids it is usually an ear infection. It's common for kids to get colds for 2 weeks then get an ear infection right after or right on top of it. I would definitely take the baby to an urgicare place. Is there a pediatric ER near Windham? I'm pretty sure Akron Children's Hospital has a pediatric ER, but I know that's not right down the road for you. The last time my DD was really sick was (as always) on a weekend. We took her to an urgicare center around the corner because it was close, and they were aweful! When we told our doc about it, she said we should have taken her to one of the hospitals with a pediatric ER. THey are much more used to seeing children, and don't do stupid things that urgicares do when they see kids (like ordering stat blood cultures (which have to be drawn from two different sites) on a 3 year old with a 104 degree fever because "ear infections don't cause high fevers" -- which they definitely can!) and are usually set up to be friendlier to them.

Also, Baby Vicks is a big hit here! And, the little PediaCare things you can plug into the way work great! Not sure if they are ok for 6 month olds though.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Poor baby!!If you have to take him to the E.R. take him to a children's hospital, like Rainbow Babies or Akron Childrens. Do NOT go to the one in Ravenna! I only trust that hospital for scheduled procedures, I do not like their E.R. ... and I think Chidren's hospitals are better equipped to minister to little ones!

How is he feeling this morning?

Christopher is doing pretty good this morning. He slept all night and ate a nice big bottle and is back in bed. The green from the eyes is gone as of this morning but I think his cough is worse. Last night I put him in the shower with me. (By the way, the bumbo baby seats work great in the tub!) That seemed to help him with his congestion. The doctors office starts taking calls soon so I'm gonna call them again. I've been giving him pedialyte just to cover my bases. It seems to help him when he gets to coughing.

Do you all use a cool mist or steam vaporizer?
I will let you know what they say!

We use steam but try to be VERY careful about putting them where the kids can't get them, or not running them when the kids are not in bed, but they can cause serious burns, so depending on how likely your kids are to play with them, pull them down if they are somewhere "out of reach" and/or turn them on themselves, it may not be a good idea. Most people say to use cool mist for kids because of the safety issue, but the hot ones are work really well (and are what we already had). If you are buying a new one probably be best to get a cool mist, and supplement with time in the shower.

It sounds like Christopher is past the worst. As long as he is hydrated (and hopefully eating a bit) and sleeping, with no more fever, it is probably just a virus that will run it's course. There's not a lot a doctor can do for a cough, unless it is really awful and affecting his sleep. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

My guess is that they won't want to see him.

Well that is exactally what the dr said. He is probably past the worst but to call back if he gets a fever again. He told me to keep doing what I'm doing. The cough should pass when the drainage slows down. The green from the eyes could be a sign of a sinus infection but with no persistant fever he thinks that may just be the way Christophers body is handeling the mucus.
We have both the cool mist and the steam. I thought about getting the steam one out and just having it on when he is in bed. Those just seem to work so much better. The girls leave stuff alone when it's explained to them.

Glad to hear he seems to be doing better, those viruses just seem to hang on forever sometimes. It's so hard to have to watch and wait, when you just want your kids to feel better! Especially when they are so little...

Lisa, I'm curious to how the little guy made it through the night. Hopefully all is going well.

I would get a new Dr. ( I am spoiled by our pediatricians' office.)
I hope he gets better soon, it's so hard when they are sick and can't tell you what's wrong. Sounds like you got alot of great ideas from here :)

Oops, I posted my concern before going to the 2nd page. I'm so glad he is doing better. It is a lot of stress when a child is sick and you can only do so much. I hope he is well on the road to recovery.

So glad to hear he's feeling a little better! I second what Annabel says about the steam vaporizer. My pediatrician told me that was a better choice, as long as it is out of reach of the kids. For my daughter (who was the only child at the time), we used it without worry when she was a baby. Then, when my son was a baby, we would use it in his room and put it up when he wasn't sleeping (so my DD didn't get into it). It works soooo much better than the cool mist (which is what we have to use now that my son is all over the place)!

At any rate, I'm glad to hear he's feeling better and hope he keeps improving!

Thanks Everyone!
He is doing a little bit better today. He still has his "growl" and a nasty cough but it is less frequent. The drainage has slowed a little and he is HUNGRY!!:) All good signs in my book.
I do think I will be "shopping" for a new ped though!

Lisa...so glad he is doing better! I am sure YOU are feeling better, now too without the stress of worrying for him!

1. What are some ways to ease the discomfort of a sick baby?

Some ways to ease the discomfort of a sick baby include using a cool-mist humidifier in the baby's room, giving them plenty of fluids to stay hydrated, and using a nasal aspirator to remove excess mucus from their nose.

2. Can I give my sick baby any over-the-counter medications?

It is best to consult with a pediatrician before giving any over-the-counter medications to a sick baby, especially since many cold and cough medications have been taken off the market for infants. The doctor can recommend safe and appropriate options for your baby's age and symptoms.

3. How can I help my baby recover quickly?

In addition to following the doctor's recommendations, you can also try using a warm compress on your baby's chest to help loosen congestion, giving them plenty of rest, and gently massaging their back to help with coughing. It is also important to keep their environment clean and limit exposure to germs.

4. What should I do if my baby's symptoms worsen?

If your baby's symptoms worsen or they develop a high fever, it is important to contact their pediatrician. They may need to be seen for further evaluation and treatment.

5. Is it normal for a baby to have a lingering cold?

It is not uncommon for young babies to have a cold that lingers for a few weeks. However, if your baby's symptoms persist for more than a few weeks or they seem to be getting worse, it is best to consult with their doctor to rule out any underlying issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lesliec
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies
Views
twinchefs