• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Flu Bug Taking Over Our House? Prayers Needed for Our Family's Health

In summary, the conversation involves multiple people discussing their recent experiences with the influenza virus and other health issues. One person has been feeling ill with flu-like symptoms, while another has been dealing with a low iron level and possible liver issues. The latter person's condition has worsened and they have been admitted to the hospital for tests and treatment. Family members are on their way to offer support and the person's condition is being closely monitored by medical staff.
momoftwins
Well the influenza bug has hit our house and it really got me! I have been feeling horrible since Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday being the worst. I have the barky cough, sore throat, hoarse voice, runny nose, head feels like it is going to explode and ears hurt like heck. I have also been feeling horribly dizzy and light headed. I did go to the ENT today as my normal dr's office was full as no drs in that office had openings. Turns out I do have the influenza with upper and lower respiratory infections. UGH!

DH has been feeling sick (flu like) for the past 2 weeks and also light headed and dizzy. He also has had this horrible rash on his body that has been scabby and he has been picking at it. He went to his normal dr appt today (he goes every 6 months for meds check up) and they drew his iron. Turns out that level is 3.2, which is extremely low. The dr wants to figure out what is going on (DH is a diabetic controlled by diet and exercise, and has high blood pressure and cholesterol). So DH has to check into the hospital in the AM for tests (cat scan of abdomen/upperGI and liver and other tests). Please please keep him in your prayers. I think he looks jaundice today (guess his dr said he does too). He thinks he will have to be there for a few days but I understood it as he will just be having tests done so now I am freaked out! UGH!

DS had a high fever (104.3) tonight too and cough so not sure if he is catching the influenza or not. Please keep him in your prayer too as he just recently had bronchiolitis and an ear infection!

Sharisse

YUCK. Feel better soon!

Hope you feel better soon!

Geesh! You guys are getting hit with both barrels! I pray that you ALL feel better soon!

After just going through all this (not the diabetic/liver issues but the rest), I know how nasty and draining it is!Get better and only do what you can.I literally cancelled all extra-curricular activities for an entire week!!!!!!!! It was tough, but nice too in a way.

Please pray for Jason. He is very sick. He went to his dr yesterday and his hemoglobin was 3.2 (meaning he is very anemic) and he looked jaundice. He told him to go to Immanual hospital this morning for tests, etc. Last night when Jason’s dr called and talked to me he said “it isn’t good”.

The admission sheet showed “Acute Hepatic Failure”. They ran an ultrasound and cat-scan of his abdomen/liver, etc. I have not heard the results yet. He was getting 2 units of blood when I left the hospital. His kidney bloodwork is sky high and they are starting to fail. He more than likely will need dialysis.

I was a little freaked out earlier today when they admitted him as they put him on the Oncology floor.

I haven't heard from Jason since I left the hospital around noon. When I left they were going to move him into a post ICU room where the nurse to patient ratio is higher and they can monitor him more closely.

His kidneys are starting to fail and he more than likely will be put on dialysis. His hemoglobin was 3.2 (needs to be 10 or higher) so they were going to give him 2 units of blood. He is on an IV for fluids, etc. They did do an ultrasound and cat-scan on his abdomen/liver, etc - will not know results for a while.

Please keep us in your prayers. I will have my cell phone on and am home for a little while.

His family is on their way down from North Dakota and will be here about 10pm tonight. I do not know how long they will be here but I imagine until Sunday.

I just spoke with the nurse at the hospital about 530pm and Jason is doing okay. His labs are still off and they are checking them every 2 hours until midnight. They have not requested dialysis yet but that doesn’t mean that they won’t. His renal function is not good. The ultrasound and catscan showed that his gall bladder and spleen are a little inflamed and that he does have gall stones. As far as gall stone removal we don’t know anything yet – his dr will be back in in the AM. They have been giving him lots of fluid and bolus (sp?) of saline with not much urine output.

If I have missed someone in this email please please forward it on to them. Thanks~!!!

Just wanted to update you all. Jason is now in ICU as his blood pressure was extremely low. He is on some high doses of meds and now it is stable however he is still in ICU. His kidneys and liver are still not functioning. They will not do dialysis until the liver starts to work as it is pointless now. He is getting a lot more color in his face now and not as jaundice. His feet are extremely swollen and very painful and unfortunately there isn't anything that they can give him as it is either too bad for the liver or it will lower his blood pressure so he is in between a rock and a hard place!

We are just taking it one day at a time. Please continue to keep him and our family in your prayers. Thanks so much!!!!

Sharisse,

Saying a prayer for Jason and the family! May you have God's blessing and healing during the illness.

Love, hugs and prayers.

Saying a prayer for Jason and your family as well - may he rebound quickly from everything!

Hang in there! It must be hard being sick yourself! I hope everything comes out o.k.! We'll pray that he gets better!

Sharisse
You and ypur family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharisse,
You and Jason are in my thoughts and prayers as well.. Hang in their!!

You are all in my thoughts and prayers, too. I really hope everything improves soon! I hope you have enough help with the twins, too... I wish I lived close enough to help, but I don't think I do... I am in NJ. :(

Hey Sharisse:
I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Please keep us posted on how things are going. Let me know if you need help.

Is there any update on Jason?

Prayers to you and Jason and the entire family!!

I just caught this and said a prayer for you, your famiy, the medical staff, and most importantly - Jason. Please keep us updated on how he (and you) are doing!

((HUGS))

Updates on my husbandSorry for not getting back on here for another report. Thanks so much for all the prayers, etc.

We have set up a website (carepages) where we can post updates daily (or as often as I or my Aunt/Mom are able) and people can leave messages. I will post here the updates that I have listed on that site. If you are interested in signing up for that site and Jason's page please send me a PM and let me know. Thanks!

February 25, 2008 at 10:15 AM CST
The newest update Monday morning is that the liver has completely failed. It is not working in any fashion. Transplant is not an option until one year after the last drink which was last Thursday. They will attempt dialysis today but there are some sort of difficulties when the liver is not working (I am not sure of this exact nature) but things do not look good. They tried to take him off of the valium--which they were giving him for detoxing him--so he was of sound mind to sign some papers as most things are in his name. He was becoming too aggitated and so they have now put him back on the valium.

Thanks to all of those of you in Omaha for your support, I know it is hard but if possible keep hospital visits to a minimum. If anyone can help Sharisse by babysitting for small blocks of time, please check with Sharisse or those staying at her home, to see if this would work. Jason's family is at the house and doing a wonderful job there.

Will post updates as I get them.

Thanks for all of your prayers.

Selma (Sharisse's aunt)

February 26, 2008 at 09:12 AM CST
Jason received dialysis yesterday for two hours. They want to work up to three hours of time. He was quite worn out after the two hours. He also received two units of blood. His hemoglobin is still low (a product of the failing liver) and also with dialysis some of the red blood cells get crushed in the process. He slept quite a bit yesterday. They will do dialysis again today and each time they do it they will try to do it for a longer period of time.

Sharisse is trying to juggle time between the kids and Jason, spending as much time with both. Cheryl has been great helping take care of the kids when Sharisse is at the hospital. Sharisse's mom will be down there again today for a couple of days and then I will go down this weekend.

Sharisse is very thankful to everyone for all of your support, it is greatly appreciated.

Selma

February 27, 2008 at 04:21 AM CST
Hello everyone!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to show your love and support on these pages. It really means a lot to Jason and I to know that we have a lot of people out there praying for us. Prayers really do work!!!

I spent most of the day at home with the "twinkies" today as they needed that special "mommy time". It was very nice to be able to do that especially since Hunter had a high fever again today and Sierra came down wtih one this evening. It is hard to spend equal amounts of time with the twins at home and with Jason up at the hospital especially since the twins are running fevers and haven't been up to see Daddy since Saturday.

I got to the hospital around 8pm tonight and was just amazed at the spunk that Jason showed. His color is really starting to come back (so no you can't call him Ole Yeller Al!!) and he is a total 360 from Friday as far as being coherent! I am pretty excited to say that I almost have my real husband back!

They did do kidney dialysis yesterday and today (Tuesday - since I have not gone to bed yet tonight). 2 1/2 hours on Monday and 3 hours on Tuesday. His numbers are starting to improve and there is a lot more urine output (more normal urine color) than there was before. They will skip Wednesday with dialysis and return to do it again on Thursday. His blood pressure is staying where they want it (when I left it was 117 over 62) without the help of medicine to make it be that way. So with that said, he is stabilized and will be moving again tomorrow into a normal room back on 6 West. So if you do come to visit (please make it a short one) please be sure to check with the front desk of the lobby as to what room he is in.

Thank you so much for all the packaged food as well as prepared meals and soups (and paper goods, etc) that have been brought over to the house. I am just in awe of all the generosity. I can not thank you all enough. Thanks too for the wonderful plant and flowers as well as cards that we have received to date.

While we have been in the ICU since Saturday - I found out a cousin (Lori Petersen) of a good friend of mine (Melanie Scott & Shelly Philbin) is also in the ICU with kidney and liver failure and has been in the ICU since September. I ran into Lori's husband Dave a few times and learned of her journey. Please keep them in your prayers as well that she is able to recover and return to a somewhat normal life with her family. Lori is a great gal who has a giant heart!

When you are signing the guest book please be sure to include how you are affiliated to Jason or myself (ie Multiples Club, Sweet Adelines member, West employee, etc). That just makes it a little easier to relate who is who and less asking of Jason to explain. Thanks again!

As far as babysitting the twins for any amount of time - we are okay for now as my mom and her husband are back here until Thursday and then I have my aunt, uncle and Grandma coming on Friday. Cheryl and Joel (Jason's sister in law and brother) do need to leave to go back home to Bismarck tomorrow - please say prayers that they have a safe trip home with good roads and that they don't run into any bad weather!!!

That is all for now. I will try and post another update from the hospital tomorrow (Wednesday).

Sharisse

PS - a huge thanks (THANKS!) goes out to my aunt Selma and her late husband Blake, my mom Margaret and mother in law Marge for finding this site and creating this page. I love you all dearly!!!

PSS - please also be sure and pass this site along to everyone you know (that we may have missed) that would be interested in receiving updates.

March 01, 2008 at 02:08 AM CST
Hello everyone! Sorry for the long time in between updates. It has been a crazy few days.

When it rains, it pours! Our washing machine crashed on Wednesday so off to the Mart it was to buy a new one. Last night I was trying to get online and post an update when my internet connection was wacky - so I said to heck with it and went to bed. This afternoon I was trying to enter in a few shows to submit for the end of the month and the internet was still down so I had to call Cox. Turns out, the cable jack that I had my modem plugged into was bad. Cox is coming out tomorrow to fix that. Now I have my modem plugged into another cable outlet in the basement so now my big screen tv is not plugged into any cable outlet. We need to find an electrician to run another cable outlet in our basement. If anyone knows on an electrician that does this kind of work on the side, please email me their information. Thanks in advance!!!

The twins are finally starting to not have any fevers - so we just need to be fever free for 48 hours before they can go and see Daddy again! So if all goes well, they will be able to see him on Monday!

I haven't had a chance to chat with the nurse tonight or the drs this afternoon but things are on the up and up. Jason's lab work numbers are really starting to improve. They chose not to do dialysis on Thursday as the kidneys were starting to work well on their own. He has some great urine output with almost the normal urine color. So the kidneys are starting to do what they need to do in order to get rid of all the toxins, etc in his body. The liver still is not functioning!!!

Jason mentioned today that his primary care dr mentioned that he may be able to go home as early as next week. I am not holding my breath on that one as not sure how accurate that statement is. I would imagine that they have to get the liver working first before he is able to go home.

I will be checking tomorrow about the waiting list for the liver transplant. I am not sure if he can be on the list now or if he can't even be on it until his year is up (2/22/09).

Oh - the cardio dr mentioned that Jason has a valve that is leaking a lot of blood in his heart. They are talking about surgery but will wait it out and see what happens after his body is rid of all the excess fluids, toxins and alcohol. They think that once they get rid of all of that that that valve will close on it's own. YEAH!!! So please say prayers for that too!!!

Well right now my mind is extremely tired as is the rest of my body and I want to be up to the hospital early tomorrow to talk to the doctors. I will try and post another update sometime late tomorrow afternoon!!!

Have a good night everyone!!!

Sharisse

March 03, 2008 at 12:37 AM CST
Ok this is now the 2nd time I have created a post and it hasn't posted! UGH! Anyway, things are on the up and up. Jason is expected to be released from the hospital on Tuesday morning. They moved him back to the oncology floor (where we started on the day he was admitted) in room 741 on Saturday. It is a semi-private room but he does not have a roommate.

On Saturday they removed his catheter and OT/PT had him doing some exercises as well as walking the hallway a little bit. The doctors are very pleased with how things are coming along. His blood levels are really coming down. The liver is slowly starting to function but it will take it a long time to fully rejuvenate as it is 80-90% scarred. The gastro dr said that if Jason is sober for 6 months and attends AA (they will really push that and Jason said he would go say for instance if a good friend of his will go with him) that he can then be put on the liver transplant waiting list. He still would not be eligible for the transplant until Feb of 2009.

The twins had been fever free since Thursday evening so we finally were able to bring them up to see Daddy last night. They really liked that and Daddy liked having them there as well. Hunter actually laid on Daddy's chest and sucked his thumb for quite a while. Sierra was a little scared to actually sit with Daddy but that is understandable when a person sees all those tubes, etc.

Well that is the update from Saturday.

Oh for those of you who remember me talking in a previous update about my friend Lorie (who is a cousin of a few good friends of mine) I just wanted to let you all know that she passed away Saturday morning. Please continue to keep her family in your prayers as they deal with her funeral, etc.

Sharisse

Here is the last update I posted.

March 03, 2008 at 01:11 AM CST
Ok well I was finally able to post my last update!!! YEAH!!!!!

Today (Sunday) I took the twins up to see Daddy before nap time but because they had awaken so early in the morning they were pretty crabby and didn't want to listen. Needless to say, it was a short visit for the twins and I. I came home and put them down for a nap while Jason's mom and 3 brothers (Roger, Jeff and Stanley) were up to see him. I was able to catch up on going through the mail from this last week - now I just need to start writing the thank you notes.

I went back up to see Jason tonight after dinner. They had taken his central line out in the afternoon and also his other IV'S. He had been using the walker to get around and he is starting to get pretty good at that. He is still very weak from being in bed for 10 days.

Jason was pretty exhausted from his day (him getting 2 things of frozen plasma to help his blood to clot and his central line being taken out). He fell asleep about a half hour after I got there. I was pretty tired myself (I almost fell asleep when the twins were down for their nap) and I ended up falling asleep in his recliner.

Dr Lund (kidney doctor) stopped in while Jason was sleeping to see if where they took the port out was bleeding at all. It had not been bleeding and he stated that it looked good. I talked with him for a few minutes and he stated to me that the kidneys are fully working now. YEAH!!!!! He also stated that the liver is functioning to some degree (would need to talk with the gastro dr to find out exactly how much) and that is why the kidneys are fully working. He stressed the importance of Jason not drinking again. I stated that he knows the repercussions and will not be doing it. I asked if a person is able to live a year (the length of time before he is eligible for a transplant) with a liver only partially working and he stated yes that as long as the kidneys are fully functioning and the liver is partially working that a person would be able to do that.

Jason had a few visitors today (Kevin, Chris, and Todd). If you haven't been able to visit him yet in the hospital, tomorrow may be your last chance. He would love to see you!

It sounds as if Roger/Jeff will be driving back to Bismarck Wednesday and Marge/Stanley will be staying through the weekend and Joel will drive down to take them back home.

If you have been waiting to bring over casseroles, etc this week and next week would be good to do that. I will need all the help with anything that I can get.

I totally spaced off that I am helping with a Pampered Chef booth at a bridal fair on Sunday (March 9th) from noon - 4pm. Is there anyone that would be able to come to my house and watch the twins for me?? Jason will be home but still weak and unable to do a lot of things. I also have a show on Saturday afternoon. Please let me know if you can help.

Speaking of Pampered Chef, I have set up an online fundraiser to raise money for our medical deductibles and any other medical expenses incurred. You can view the catalog on my website and also place an order (you can email your order to me if you choose to do so). The guest special for March is: Purchase $60 or more in products and receive the Bamboo Spoon Set FREE!!!!! The set of 3 spoons includes: 12" oval spoon, 10" and 12" round spoons.

Once you are on my website, click on "our products" and then enter Jason's name for the host. All orders will be shipped to my house but if you live out of state you can pay extra for direct shipping.

Please feel free to call me or email me if you have any questions.

All orders must be received by March 13th.

Sharisse

Sharisse~

I am so glad that your DH is doing better! I will keep him and your family in my prayers...especially about his liver function and attending AA meetings regularly. My Mom had two and a half years of sobriety, and only fell off the wagon when she decided that she "didn't need to go to meetings." She passed away in June of 2006, and her cause of death was listed as accute alcoholism. Smoking/drinking/drugs really take a severe toll on your body, and my mom did the smoking and drinking thing till it killed her. I pray that Jason takes this VERY seriously and turns his life around for YOUR sake and the sake of your KIDDOS!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Wow, Sharisse!! I must've missed this thread before for some reason. Your husband, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he continues to do well and gets stronger and stronger. It sounds like you have a good support network of family and friends out there. Good luck with everything! Be sure to take care of yourself, too!:)

Thanks Kelly and Becky. It means a lot to know my cheffer friends are behind me too! You guys are awesome!!!

Kelly - I am so sorry to hear that information about your mom. I am really hoping that my husband never falls off the bandwagon. Fingers crossed!

Here is the latest in our situation.

March 06, 2008 at 06:34 PM CST
Jason was released from the hospital on Tuesday March 4th. By the time we rented a walker and picked up his prescriptions, etc it was around 1245pm when we got home.

I had to take Dixie and Midnight into the vet that afternoon for their rabies and distemper shots. I also made a stop to Jason's work to drop off his leave papers.

So far things are going okay at home. His brothers left Tuesday morning and his other brother will drive down on Saturday to bring his mom back on Sunday to North Dakota.

Jason had his follow up appointment with his normal physician today. He did draw some blood so we will have those results by next week for his appointment with the gastro dr. His blood pressure was good 108 over 60. He is to test his blood sugar once a week and before a meal. He is to return to his normal physician in about 3 weeks.

Not much else to report. He will be seeing the gastro dr a week from today and then the following Monday he will see a pshychiatrist (SP?) to start out patient treatment. Hopefully that will make things much better.

Well need to get supper on the table before Survivor!!!!

Please also remember that I am still doing a PC fundraiser to raise money for our medical deductibles and any other medical expenses. If you would like to see a catalog or place an order please give me a call!

Sharisse

March 07, 2008 at 01:16 AM CST
I just wanted to add that I had asked the dr today about Jason's gall stones. Dr Nelson stated that his stone is not blocking anything or causing infection at this point. Because of when he was admitted to the hospital he was so weak, etc they did not want to do surgery then due to anesthesia, etc. Dr Nelson stated that they may have to do surgery on his gallbladder down the line but not right now.

March 15, 2008 at 11:54 AM CDT
Jason went to see the gastro dr (liver dr) on Thursday. The dr stated that he wished Jason would have listened to him 8 years ago about quitting drinking back when his liver enzymes were elevated. The dr stated that what Jason has is called "alcoholic liver disease" and is the only one that is curable as long as he completely quits drinking. Jason has been sober now for 3 weeks and 1 day. He will start out patient treatment on Monday.

The gastro dr did give him a dieuretic (aldectone) and lasiks to take for the swelling he still has in his legs, ankles and feet. He is to stop taking his potassium pills. The dr also gave him a medication to help with the itching that he is still having which is caused from the bile in the liver. Hopefully that will go away soon. He needs to go back to see the liver dr in 6 weeks.

The liver enzyme numbers are really starting to come down. On the 12th they were: ALT 52 (range is 30-65) and AST 58 (range is 10-40). So they are slowly but surely coming back down to normal. The bilirubin is still a little elevated, 3.3 with a range of 0.0-1.5.

Jason goes back to see his primary physician on the 27th and more than likely at that appointment he will be released to go back to work the first part of April.

So things are really starting to turn around and look really good! Thanks so much for all the continued prayers and support that you have all given us!

Sharisse

Sharisse - I hadn't seen this in awhile either - sorry!I'm glad to see things are getting better. I hope and pray that your DH has the strength to stay away from alcohol so he can be around for you and the kids!!!!

Wow, you're family has been through quite a lot! Your husband will have an amazing testimony to others. I think sometimes people who drink excessively just don't realize the harm that is done to their bodies. Hope you all continue to do well! God bless you all!
Hugs,
Amanda

Hi Sharisse,I am glad to hear things are looking up. I hope DH keeps his strength up with not drinking!!

Sharisse, my sister had that same liver issue back in her early 20's. She drank 24/7 and almost died. Thankfully she turned her life around and doesn't drink at all.

Praise God for the answered prayers and the faith of those that prayed them, and prayers for strength to stay away from the giggle water- besides Raspberry Crystal Light is better than giggle water anyway! :) LOL

I'm so happy things are improving! PTL!!

Sharisse, I'm so glad things are looking up for you and your family. What a rough road you have all had. You, Jason, and the rest of your family will continue to be in my prayers.

Wow - how did I miss this thread from teh beginning??? Sharisse, I am so sorry for all you are going through and will keep you all in my prayers.

1. What is the influenza virus and how does it spread?

The influenza virus is a highly contagious respiratory illness that is caused by a virus. It can spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching one's mouth, nose, or eyes.

2. What are the symptoms of influenza?

The most common symptoms of influenza include a cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, body aches, fever, and fatigue. It can also cause more severe complications such as pneumonia, especially in young children, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems.

3. How is influenza diagnosed and treated?

Influenza is typically diagnosed based on symptoms and a physical examination. A rapid influenza test can also be done to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment usually involves rest, fluids, and over-the-counter medications to relieve symptoms. Antiviral medications may also be prescribed in some cases.

4. What are the risk factors for developing influenza?

Anyone can get influenza, but certain people are at a higher risk for developing severe illness or complications. These include young children, older adults, pregnant women, and people with chronic health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease.

5. How can we prevent the spread of influenza?

The best way to prevent influenza is by getting the annual flu vaccine. Other preventive measures include washing hands frequently, avoiding close contact with sick individuals, and staying home when you are sick. It is also important to cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing to prevent spreading the virus to others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies