1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: 5" or 7" Santoku knife OR 8" Chef's?

1. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

I want to add a larger knife to my kit to showcase at shows. Which one would you suggest?

5" Santoku
    7" Santoku
    8" Chef's

Aug 7, 2009
  2. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I like the Santoku, DH likes the Chef's knife. If you go with the Santoku, I'd say go for the 7" one. You can always show your 5" and say the other Santoku is that size.

Aug 7, 2009
  3. crystalscookingnow

crystalscookingnow Senior Member Gold Member

I personally love the 5" Santoku & use it for most everything. In fact, I have two! :)

4. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

For use, I like the 5" Santoku over the 7" and the Chef's knife.

Aug 7, 2009
  5. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I prefer the 5" santoku!

Aug 7, 2009
  6. chefsteph07

chefsteph07 Legacy Member

5" Santoku, I've not used another knife since this one came out. It is my absolute fave.

Aug 7, 2009
  7. kaseydee

kaseydee Veteran Member Gold Member

I love the 5" for myself & my boyfriend who is a chef likes the 7" not the chefs knife.

Aug 7, 2009
  8. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

I think it has to do with what you are used to. I love a chefs knife. I find myself trying to rock a santoku, and it doesn't work.

9. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

the Chef's Knife is my absolute FAVORITE of the bunch. It's really a personal preference.

Aug 7, 2009
  10. Bluiydangl

Bluiydangl Member

I love my 5 inch santoku. I use it for meat, veggies, anything that needs cutting.

Aug 7, 2009
  11. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

5" Santoku has my vote!

12. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I LOVE my 7" Santoku... I can't imagine myself using a 5" Santoku. Highly recommend the 7"!

Aug 7, 2009
  13. Grandmarita

Grandmarita Advanced Member Gold Member

I have small hands, but prefer the 7" santoku to the 5". It is marvelous for cutting skins off the pineapple, then using our pineapple wedge. I also use the Boning knife frequently for skinning the pork tenderloins, and for removing skin from chicken breasts.

I'm now looking forward to our new Serrated edge knife. That would be a great knife
    at this time of year with tomatoes, etc.

Aug 7, 2009
  14. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

i use my 7" santoku a lot and i also love the chef' knife. i would bring the chef's knife to shows - it is quite impressive

Aug 7, 2009
  15. mscharf

mscharf Advanced Member

i got the 7 in Santuko a couple years ago at a show and LOVE it, BUT that said I take my 5 in to my shows. I think it presents in much less intimidating manner. (Those who love big knives it is each to picture the 7, but the 7 can be very intimidating to newbies)
    JMHO

Aug 7, 2009
  16. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I'm a big fan of the 5 inch Santuko. I used it today to cut up a pork loin. Best purchase I've ever made. Plus, it was on sale and it is a lot cheaper.

But if you think you'll use the others at shows, they'll sell

17. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I use the 7" Santoku pretty much daily. I use the Chef's Knife and 5" Santoku, but not as frequently.

We're no help at all. Are we? LOL! Since you're asking about a knife to add to your show kit, I'd suggest the 7" Santoku. It's easier for people to picture something smaller than what you're showing them than it is for them to accurately picture it larger.

Aug 8, 2009
  18. Jinkies

Jinkies Member

I prefer the Chef's knife. You can't rock the santoku's which makes me crazy! Plus, all the chef's say that you only need three good knives in your line up; paring, serrated, and chef's knife.

Aug 8, 2009
  19. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think for demonstration purposes I am going to go w/ the 5" Santoku. That way, I have both the 5" utility and Santoku and can talk about each feature (rocking w/ the chef's knife cuz it's shaped like the utility...etc).

:thumbup:

Aug 8, 2009
  20. bknowles67

bknowles67 Novice Member

I Bring the 5" santoku to my shows and sell at least 2 at each show. It is less intimidating to people than a 7" knife. Plus at $50 it is easier to justify than $70! I used to bring the 7" to shows and rarely sold one. Once I switched over.....

Aug 8, 2009
  21. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

Personnally I would go with the 5". I have the 7" and when I pull it out everyone seems to be scared of it, saying it is too big for them.
    So I need to get the 5" at some point.

Kelly V.

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted