• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

5" or 7" Santoku Knife or 8" Chef's?

In summary, a 5" Santoku is a good choice for a larger knife to add to your kit to showcase at shows.
Liquid Sky
I want to add a larger knife to my kit to showcase at shows. Which one would you suggest?

5" Santoku
7" Santoku
8" Chef's

I like the Santoku, DH likes the Chef's knife. If you go with the Santoku, I'd say go for the 7" one. You can always show your 5" and say the other Santoku is that size.

I personally love the 5" Santoku & use it for most everything. In fact, I have two! :)

For use, I like the 5" Santoku over the 7" and the Chef's knife.

I prefer the 5" santoku!

5" Santoku, I've not used another knife since this one came out. It is my absolute fave.

I love the 5" for myself & my boyfriend who is a chef likes the 7" not the chefs knife.

I think it has to do with what you are used to. I love a chefs knife. I find myself trying to rock a santoku, and it doesn't work.

the Chef's Knife is my absolute FAVORITE of the bunch. It's really a personal preference.

I love my 5 inch santoku. I use it for meat, veggies, anything that needs cutting.

I LOVE my 7" Santoku... I can't imagine myself using a 5" Santoku. Highly recommend the 7"!

I have small hands, but prefer the 7" santoku to the 5". It is marvelous for cutting skins off the pineapple, then using our pineapple wedge. I also use the Boning knife frequently for skinning the pork tenderloins, and for removing skin from chicken breasts.

I'm now looking forward to our new Serrated edge knife. That would be a great knife
at this time of year with tomatoes, etc.

i use my 7" santoku a lot and i also love the chef' knife. i would bring the chef's knife to shows - it is quite impressive

i got the 7 in Santuko a couple years ago at a show and LOVE it, BUT that said I take my 5 in to my shows. I think it presents in much less intimidating manner. (Those who love big knives it is each to picture the 7, but the 7 can be very intimidating to newbies)
JMHO

I'm a big fan of the 5 inch Santuko. I used it today to cut up a pork loin. Best purchase I've ever made. Plus, it was on sale and it is a lot cheaper.

But if you think you'll use the others at shows, they'll sell

I use the 7" Santoku pretty much daily. I use the Chef's Knife and 5" Santoku, but not as frequently.We're no help at all. Are we? LOL! Since you're asking about a knife to add to your show kit, I'd suggest the 7" Santoku. It's easier for people to picture something smaller than what you're showing them than it is for them to accurately picture it larger.

I prefer the Chef's knife. You can't rock the santoku's which makes me crazy! Plus, all the chef's say that you only need three good knives in your line up; paring, serrated, and chef's knife.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think for demonstration purposes I am going to go w/ the 5" Santoku. That way, I have both the 5" utility and Santoku and can talk about each feature (rocking w/ the chef's knife cuz it's shaped like the utility...etc).

:thumbup:

I Bring the 5" santoku to my shows and sell at least 2 at each show. It is less intimidating to people than a 7" knife. Plus at $50 it is easier to justify than $70! I used to bring the 7" to shows and rarely sold one. Once I switched over.....

Personnally I would go with the 5". I have the 7" and when I pull it out everyone seems to be scared of it, saying it is too big for them.
So I need to get the 5" at some point.

Kelly V.

1. What is the difference between a 5" and 7" Santoku knife?

The main difference between a 5" and 7" Santoku knife is the blade length. The 5" Santoku knife is shorter and ideal for smaller tasks such as slicing fruits and vegetables. The 7" Santoku knife has a longer blade and is better suited for tasks such as chopping and dicing larger ingredients.

2. Is the 8" Chef's knife suitable for all cutting tasks?

Yes, the 8" Chef's knife is a versatile and multipurpose knife that can handle almost all cutting tasks in the kitchen. It is perfect for chopping, slicing, and dicing vegetables, fruits, meat, and fish.

3. What is the blade material of the 5" and 7" Santoku knives and 8" Chef's knife?

The blades of all three knives are made of high-quality stainless steel, ensuring durability and longevity. The 5" and 7" Santoku knives have a high carbon stainless steel blade, while the 8" Chef's knife has a forged stainless steel blade.

4. Can these knives be used by both left-handed and right-handed individuals?

Yes, our Santoku knives and Chef's knife are designed to be ambidextrous, making them suitable for both left-handed and right-handed individuals. The ergonomic handles provide a comfortable and secure grip for all users.

5. Do these knives come with a warranty?

Yes, all our knives, including the 5" and 7" Santoku knives and 8" Chef's knife, come with a lifetime warranty. This warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship, ensuring that you have a high-quality and durable kitchen tool.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GourmetGirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • gailz2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • pamperedlinda