• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Worst Excuse to Not Host a Show!

In summary, the conversation is about discussing the most ridiculous excuses people have given for not hosting a show. Some of the excuses mentioned include making a New Years resolution to have fewer people in their life, not having enough space, and not having money for a vacuum. The participants in the conversation share their responses to these excuses and offer tips for dealing with them.
colechef
Hi Ladies,

I know we have all heard our share of miserable excuses to not host a show. Let's get them out in the open and have a good laugh!

I'll start.. My potential host's excuse was that she had made a New Years resolution to have fewer people in her life and was not interested in inviting anyone to her home. How do you respond to that??!!

Kim Cole
Future Director
3 more days til I leave for Leadership Wahoo!!!

I guess I would have to respond with... "Well Happy New Year to you... and um...yourself!" Who makes a resolution to have fewer people in their lives?

Kim,
I would thank her for her honesty and cross her off my list. Maybe that sounds harsh but she is either feeding you a line of baloney or she is very strange. Neither make good hosts!!!:eek:
Maybe you could call her bluff and invite her to use your home for her party!!!:D Have a wonderful time at Leadership!:)

Ann
Director

My response would be, "how 'bout a catalog show?" That should stop her in her tracks! But honestly, that excuse will be hard to beat!

Mary

mandydollie said:
I guess I would have to respond with... "Well Happy New Year to you... and um...yourself!" Who makes a resolution to have fewer people in their lives?

Bahahahahaha!!

I am so tired of the "I don't have enough space" excuse. I have done shows in apartments, trailers, mansions, conference rooms, church halls, you-name-it. There's no space too small.

dannyzmom said:
I am so tired of the "I don't have enough space" excuse. I have done shows in apartments, trailers, mansions, conference rooms, church halls, you-name-it. There's no space too small.

I have to respectfully disagree! :p
I did a show in an apartment that was quite literally the size of my living room. And I don't live in a large house! The woman was OBSESSED with Party Lite and had every imaginable candle holder on her kitchen table, along with a 9x13 baker with TD taco dip, a punch bowl and cups, plates, napkins, etc. And I got to use the CORNER of the table for my demonstration. I brought a table, but there was literally NO ROOM for it! To top it off, both the woman and her boyfriend were chain smokers and they smoked like chimney's in this tiny apartment with NO WINDOWS OPEN!!!!! I managed to get through my demo and out of there as quickly as possible! I wonder why only 2 people showed up?!?! Hmmmm?!?!
So, I have to say this is one time I wish the woman would have said, "I don't have enough space!" LOL!!!!! :D

sounds like less about I don't have enough space and more about I don't have enough Oxygen!
I did a similar show. Plenty of room.....but NO AIR. there were about 12 people there and they all smoked through the entire demo!
It was gross. I have never stunk like that much cigarette smoke without being drunk as a skunk as well!

My best excuse from a lady was "Oh, I really would love to host a show, but my vacuum broke and I don't have any money to get a new one."

WTF?? I told her I would be calling and this was the best excuse she could come up with?? I told her that I would bring my vacuum over and that PC was a great way to earn extra money for little things that come up unexpectedly. She still turned me down, but I think she'll think twice before using that excuse again!!

dannyzmom said:

I tell them that I've done a show in a dorm room (lie) and had all the guests sit on the bed and did the demo on the dresser. They can't say their space is smaller than that!

chefjenibel said:
I have to respectfully disagree! :p
I did a show in an apartment that was quite literally the size of my living room. And I don't live in a large house! The woman was OBSESSED with Party Lite and had every imaginable candle holder on her kitchen table, along with a 9x13 baker with TD taco dip, a punch bowl and cups, plates, napkins, etc. And I got to use the CORNER of the table for my demonstration. I brought a table, but there was literally NO ROOM for it! To top it off, both the woman and her boyfriend were chain smokers and they smoked like chimney's in this tiny apartment with NO WINDOWS OPEN!!!!! I managed to get through my demo and out of there as quickly as possible! I wonder why only 2 people showed up?!?! Hmmmm?!?!
So, I have to say this is one time I wish the woman would have said, "I don't have enough space!" LOL!!!!! :D

This reminds me of a show I did in a trailer that appeared to be inhabitable, with a yard resembling a junk yard. I was in the early stages of pregnancy- hard enough to be around food- and her trailer smelled intensley like litter boxes. Yuck!

Wish we could enforce a no smoking rule at PC shows!!!

And no TV's on during shows!!

What else?

Paige Dixon said:
I tell them that I've done a show in a dorm room (lie) and had all the guests sit on the bed and did the demo on the dresser. They can't say their space is smaller than that!

OOoooh - good one!

There is nothing that is more appealing than a room full of ladies smoking while you cook for them! I always have to air out my cases and tools after a show like that!

Kim Cole
Future Director
3 days til Leadership Wahoo!!!

I am a non-smoker and find smoking disgusting!! It is hard when you are in somebody home and they or they let people in there home smoke. I can't believe that some of you have had people smoke while you were cooking. OMG:eek: That is so rude!! Our local health board conciders smoking un-food safe, so if I'm cooking I'm "food-safe".

I'm ballzie and would say something if somebody was smoking were I was cooking.

Kim,

I had a very similar excuse last January. The host booked a show and then when I called to send her packet out to her she said, "I made a New Year's resolution to not have any more in-home parties." She said she spent too much money the year before at them. She booked her show in December and she didn't know this then! She also complained about not having any money. I did call her back and offered her the opportunity, but she turned me down (LOL).

She was a friend of my MIL. I'm actually glad she didn't have a show because I wasn't real fond of her anyway:)!

My DH is concerned about me meeting random people and doing shows. However, I am sure my buisness will never get to this point anyway. I am afraid that I would schedual a show w/ someone weird and they would kidnap me. I have a very overactive imagination. That is why I try to stick w/ people I know or that other people know.

mbh06 said:
My DH is concerned about me meeting random people and doing shows. However, I am sure my buisness will never get to this point anyway. I am afraid that I would schedual a show w/ someone weird and they would kidnap me. I have a very overactive imagination. That is why I try to stick w/ people I know or that other people know.

One concern of mine when I started this biz was having to go into homes of those I don't know. But I guess that's why we do 3 host coaching calls to get to know them & why we book a lot of people at shows where we can meet them.

I guess I've been VERY lucky so far at my shows. I've never had anyone smoke during them in the 1 1/2 years I've been doing this. When they do smoke, they go outside & all have been polite enough to wait until after the demo. I've also only had one person not put their pet away. I'm knocking on all the wood around here so I stay that lucky!:)

gilliandanielle said:
My best excuse from a lady was "Oh, I really would love to host a show, but my vacuum broke and I don't have any money to get a new one."

WTF?? I told her I would be calling and this was the best excuse she could come up with?? I told her that I would bring my vacuum over and that PC was a great way to earn extra money for little things that come up unexpectedly. She still turned me down, but I think she'll think twice before using that excuse again!!
OMG, Gillian you crack me up! I had to laugh at that one!

I've heard of someone in my cluster doing a show on an ironing board. One of my recruits did a show on top of a portable dishwasher - about a 2 foot square!

cmdtrgd said:
I've heard of someone in my cluster doing a show on an ironing board. One of my recruits did a show on top of a portable dishwasher - about a 2 foot square!

That's why I invested $40 in my own table and always have it in my car just in case!

Paige Dixon said:
Wish we could enforce a no smoking rule at PC shows!!!

And no TV's on during shows!!

What else?

Just say you have asthma and could they please smoke outside until you leave.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
gilliandanielle said:

That is pretty pathetic. :D :D

You should have told her that there's this great invention for when that happens, it's called a
BROOM!!!!

How gross, so she doesn't clean if she doesn't have a vacuum?? I have had my vacuum's bag get full, couldn't find the refill packet, that is until I bought a new one but I did sweep until I went to the store. LOL

That's too funny!! But check this out, a lady told me she couldn't host a show because she was claustrophobic and probably would freak out if too many people came over all at once. :rolleyes:

I started laughing because I couldn't help it and she swore it was the truth. I told her that I would hold open the back door for her in case she needed to go outside and get some fresh air. She ended up doing a catalog show for me. Which was fine by me. She was weird!!

Debbie :D

THATS SOOOOO funny you said you'd hold open the back door!! I would suggest a nice outdoor show LOL! Or she can sit outside & listen in thru a window LOL the worst experience so far was it being too hot- I had a baby 9months ago & still nursing so my hormones are wacked! So im like burning up!!!!finally a guest said is it hot in here?! I laughed & said i'm very hot but my hormones are crazy now! Everyone laughed!

Colleen- you signed with PC when you were 8 months pregnant??? Now that is courageous!!

mbh06 said:

This still is one of my concerns. However, if I don't feel comfortable with the person I am hosting with, I always take my "wingman". My sister. :D I am always helping her out with stuff, so just to be able to call her and have her there with me makes me feel 100x's better.

Though, if you don't have a "wingman" always leave the information at the house. Make sure you tell someone you are doing a show there and blah blah. We just discussed this at our cluster meeting.

I leave the phone #, address/directions, and host name for my DH everytime I do a show with someone I don't really know.

I never really thought about something happening to me at a show. I always tell my husband what town my show is in, but I never really thought about the address and phone number. I will do that from now on. Has anyone ever heard of anything happening to anyone doing direct sales before.....?

The worst excuse I ever heard was from one of my good friends. She just had a new house built and the main level is gorgeous. It has 2 bathrooms on the main level. The upstairs also has 2 bathrooms, but one is unfinished. She didn't feel she could have people over until the bathroom was finished! Who needs four bathrooms during a 2 hour party? I could see if she thought my food would make everyone sick.....needing 4 bathrooms. She never did a show, and because I kept asking she accused me of only talking to her to get a show. We haven't spoken in months. Now, I only ask friends once to host and if they don't instantly say sure, I don't ask again. It's not worth losing friendships.

The worst excuse I ever got came from a friend of mine. She said she can't host because she's breastfeeding! Uh, I didn't know what to say to that one!

I've actually asked her a number of times and she keeps telling me she wants to, but is too busy. Can't take the time to have people at her house. I've asked her if she wants me to stop asking her, but she said it's fine...she WANTS to host, but it's never a good time!

In the small space department: I ended up doing a show on two TV trays spaced side by side. It was my first month (all of two months ago) and I didn't think to ask the host about table space. Her previous consultant always used a card table and she assumed I did as well. :0

Show still did well ($600)....and I now have a card table in my trunk. :)

pamperedgirl3 said:
One concern of mine when I started this biz was having to go into homes of those I don't know. But I guess that's why we do 3 host coaching calls to get to know them & why we book a lot of people at shows where we can meet them.

I guess I've been VERY lucky so far at my shows. I've never had anyone smoke during them in the 1 1/2 years I've been doing this. When they do smoke, they go outside & all have been polite enough to wait until after the demo. I've also only had one person not put their pet away. I'm knocking on all the wood around here so I stay that lucky!:)

I am one of those totally paranoid people but so far so good.

The only time I was ever a bit freaked out was when I got a HO lead from a MAN who wanted to host a show. He claimed to be a former consulatant from Connecticut. At first I thought he was just a rapist or killer...then after talking I thought maybe he's gay. then I spoke with his wife on the phone and found out she was very pregnant and would be in attendance that night...all was well and I am still alive...and got lots of bookings from that show!

Last edited:
LOL at some of these !!! The worst show i had was a lady i got there it was a full house about 18 guests and about 15 kids under 7 !!! OMG all they did was talk and run after the kids the whole show.. then when i was tallying up orders one of the kids KNOCKED the card table over and all my display of products fell to the ground !

The best excuse i have gotten for not booking...... i always hear i have no space or that would mean i would have to clean... or i will get back to you.. Call me in a month...... not right now ... blah blah blah

Best excuse I've heard (other than this site) is "I only go to one Pampered Chef show a year, and this was it." Huh? Going to and hosting are SOOOOOO different. Couldn't convince her. :rolleyes:

As for small spaces, I've done a show on the last two feet of an 18" wide counter. I made the Ice Cream Sandwich Torte. The host's freezer was too full for my package of ice cream sandwiches, so it was the mushiest torte I've ever made. To top it off, she had twelve guests crammed into a space barely larger than my bathroom. It was HOT! However, it was a very successful show. Go figure. :confused:

As for the smoking, I've been in homes that were so smokey that even with no one smoking during the demo my stuff all had to be washed and aired out. Yuck! I had one host who left FIVE TIMES during the demo to have a cigarette. She smoked three of the things while I was setting up. :eek: The funny part? When I showed the micro-cookers, she gave a short lecture on the evils of microwaves. Seems they change the food on a molecular level. (Isn't that what cooking does?) I think of her as "Miss Health Nut." :p

However, that's still better than the host I had whose house smelled horribly of cats. Not only did it smell bad, she let her many, many cats run all over while I was setting up. :mad: Needless to say, my kit got emptied and thoroughly washed those nights. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :eek: She's hosted a few times.

ew i though of more ... ever go to use a hosts microwave and it is sooo dirty and gross !!! I had one host i swear it was so nasty , i feel ill thinking about it !

LMAO!! Go figure...microwaves are evil but cigarettes are your friend...nice logic!! Sadly- with the amount she smokes she won't be able to run a microwave soon...

dannyzmom said:
when I got a HO from a MAN

:D I am so ROFL over here at that... sorry I have a really weird sense of humor. LOL

Okay. You guys ready for this? Three weeks ago, one of my January hosts bailed on me. Why, you ask? Here's our conversation:

Her: "I have to cancel my party"
Me: "Oh I'm sorry to hear that, may I ask why?"
Her: "I have worms."
Me: "Oh! You mean your pet has worms...?"
Her: "No...my doctor can't figure out whats wrong with me, they're under my skin."

Oh.my.God.
For real. LOL :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pampered Laura said:
:D I am so ROFL over here at that... sorry I have a really weird sense of humor. LOL

Okay. You guys ready for this? Three weeks ago my host bailed on me. Why, you ask? Here's our conversation:

Her: "No...my doctor can't figure out whats wrong with me, they're under my skin."

Oh.my.God.

Okay, was she seeing a medical doctor or psychologist?!?!?

gilliandanielle said:

I keep coming back to this post & start LMAO all over again, my DH just told me to shut the ---- up or go to another room!!!:eek: :eek: :p

Pampered Laura said:

Okay. You guys ready for this? Three weeks ago, one of my January hosts bailed on me. Why, you ask? Here's our conversation:

Oh.my.God.

OMG Laura- I think you win!! Yuck... I wouldn't be upset to let that show go!! What if she was contageous?

Ginger- I am glad that my crazy hosts can get a laugh out of you!! It wasn't funny at the time, but it is funny now!

Pampered Laura said:

Oh.my.God.

OMG, I won't go near her or step foot in her home. That is sick, why couldn't she just say that she is ill. WORMS OMG

cat said:
The worst excuse I ever got came from a friend of mine. She said she can't host because she's breastfeeding! Uh, I didn't know what to say to that one!

I've actually asked her a number of times and she keeps telling me she wants to, but is too busy. Can't take the time to have people at her house. I've asked her if she wants me to stop asking her, but she said it's fine...she WANTS to host, but it's never a good time!

LOL! That is ridiculous! I'm a consultant and I'm breastfeeding.

Hmm... you generally know when your going to have to feed your child no matter what they are eating. That would be like me saying I couldn't have a show b/c my son ate dinner at 6:30 and I didn't want anyone around... I'm sure everyone she'd invite knows she breastfeeds!! Unless it is a big secret

The worst excuse I got was "I don't have any friends to ask." LOL That was totally b.s. for sure!!!!

Another one was I hate cooking but I love PC! HUH??????

mbh06 said:
Hmm... you generally know when your going to have to feed your child no matter what they are eating. That would be like me saying I couldn't have a show b/c my son ate dinner at 6:30 and I didn't want anyone around... I'm sure everyone she'd invite knows she breastfeeds!! Unless it is a big secret

Yeah, that's a pretty bad excuse. I've had several shows where the host is breastfeeding during the show. It's not like we're not all women who could or have breastfed before. I didn't, but I don't care if others do in front of me. Or you could time your show so that you feed the baby before & after.

Thanks for the advice on leaving phone, address, directions. I am going to do this even if my DH knows who it is, but not really where it is just in case!

SillyChef said:
This still is one of my concerns. However, if I don't feel comfortable with the person I am hosting with, I always take my "wingman". My sister. :D I am always helping her out with stuff, so just to be able to call her and have her there with me makes me feel 100x's better.

Though, if you don't have a "wingman" always leave the information at the house. Make sure you tell someone you are doing a show there and blah blah. We just discussed this at our cluster meeting.

It's like having your very own bouncer in case things get out of hand!

My mom: We have to finish the landscaping, parking area, "retaining wall", 2nd floor, and I don't have any friends.

She has agreed to co-host with my SIL. My SIL will co-host only if held at my mom's house.

I'm thinking of asking them to do a party in March that I may split into 2 parties depending on orders & incentives for my b-day present. They can even order my presents with their hosts discounts. I've got 2 months to do convince them to do this. Wish me luck.

I once had a host tell me that her home was being condemed for asbestos. I could think of one snappy come back for that one

D_Patel said:
LOL at some of these !!! The worst show i had was a lady i got there it was a full house about 18 guests and about 15 kids under 7 !!! OMG all they did was talk and run after the kids the whole show..

That must have been my SIL's house !!! Just kidding..we live in Ohio.. But before I was a consultant, I went to one of her parties and there were @15 adults, and each adult brought at least 2 kids...or about that:eek: Actually, I think I counted 18-20, all but 3 under 6:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

The kids were running all around the room, down the hallway, spilling drinks, argueing, crying, getting tired, throwing things across the room, jumping on the furniture, taking the display items from the guests hands as they looked at them, screaming at the top of their lungs, taking food off of other plates, trying to add salt and pepper to the food already on the table, etc. etc. etc....

It was a terrible show, and I could not even hear the consultant. Although it did end up being over $500 for the show, I felt bad for the consultant. I am guessing she just did the show and left.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• augmommychef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • texasteacher
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
texasteacher
  • abell