• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Do I Keep Getting Burned in Direct Sales?

In summary, your friend is asking you to do a show for her that you don't want to do, and she is also asking you to do a show for her that you don't want to do. You are also having troubles with another DS consultant who is asking you to do a show for her that you don't want to do.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I need encouragement to get through Tuesday night. This may be a long post, but please bear with me. Some of you may remember that I have a "jewelry friend" who has burnt me before. We have started talking again and I invited her to do my mystery host show for June. She declined, but wanted to do a joint show. I said okay, but was secretly not thrilled. Now I know why. My initial impression that it was going to be just that...a show, both of us demo, etc. Now she tells me that it will be an open house from 6 - 8. People come and go as they please and so on. She then informs me that their new catalog comes available in July so all of her stuff will be 50% off!!!! So needless to say my sales will be non existant, I looked over her guest list and alot of them are already my customers. So the bookings will probably not be there as well. So I have sent out invitations, providing the food, setting up at her house for nothing. I must have welcome secretly tatooed on my forehead. I am so upset, but can't say anything to her because we have other things we see each other at and I am usually not one to burn my bridges. This kind of thing always happens to me. I am dealing with a food DS person that we agreed to swap shows early in the spring, I called to tell her I could do July, but she informed me that someone at her work just started PC so she is doing a show for her!!

Wow, I am sorry your having a rough time. Sounds like your friend takes advantage of you. She knows you are going to go for what she says. You need to be more assertive. How did her being a mystery host for you become you catering and housing a jewelery show for her? I would tell her you can't invest that much into the show. Personally I would have told her that wasn't what I had in mind in terms of a show.

As for the food person you were working with, that was shady! You should be happy you found out now instead of too late.

Hopefully things will look up for you soon.

So sorry that this is happening to you.At the open house, you can still build excitement for hosting with the customers who do come through. Invite your customer base, especially those who may not have seen the new products, because they can still come and see them. And if your friend invites all of her customer base (and she SHOULD), then there may be some more people who you haven't met yet. I agree that with her inventory on clearance your sales may not be very high, but you can focus on bookings for July. Regarding the other DS consultant, if she's cancelled with you and you aren't enthused about her product line (wouldn't have had a party if it weren't a swap), then go ahead and cancel yours. Your heart won't be in it anyway.

Just watch how much you do for friends and everything. I have noticed doing business with friends and family always burns you and its hard to get over.

Don't be too bummed out about her 50% off jewelry. Maybe some people just won't be in the market for jewelry, even at a discount. They'll see all our wonderful products and want to buy those instead!!

ChefJWarren said:
Don't be too bummed out about her 50% off jewelry. Maybe some people just won't be in the market for jewelry, even at a discount. They'll see all our wonderful products and want to buy those instead!!

That is my feeling too. I would rather buy PC over 50% off jewelry any day! Plus, at 50% off, that makes it cheap, so they can afford to buy a piece of jewelry and have money left over for PC!:D :thumbup:

Always have the attitude that we have the best offers and opportunities for everyone. Be upbeat and excited about PC! People want to be around happy.

Don't let her methods get you down. If you are worried about her sale why not offer your show as a mystery host or do a drawing among those that order $50 or whatever you decide for something.

You can always ask her to chip in for the food or refreshments. Give her a shopping list of some things you want her to pick up. That's how we handled it at my last multi-vendor party. We each brought something. I brought what I needed for my demo and the other ladies supplied additional refreshments and drinks.

Inquiring minds want to know the name of the line ... because I used to sell jewelry!We, too, had 50 percent off our stuff in July ... but ONLY the stuff that was retiring. (I am still on the books as a consultant for that line and have not seen the list, yet.) Shows for that line were INSANE at that time of the year, and really confusing for people. I spent way too much time marking alllll my catalogs with a red marker, circling the item numbers that were being retired, putting "out of stock" stickers over items that were gone, and it changed EVERY DAY. And if someone got a broken necklace, the jury was out on whether a replacement wold be in stock. And returning it was their expense.You have no idea the RELIEF I felt when I moved on to a more practical product like PC, that didn't have hundreds of items retired twice a year, including a big chunk of the kit I worked hard to build!It is very likely, especially if many of these invitees are your customers, that they love PC ... and, like many of my customers, value that product line above jewelry.I have a feeling the jewelry girl will be the odd one out, and she knows it.

I'm feeling frisky- want me to rough her up for ya? :)

Get her Kacey:D
It is Premier. I am just dreading this so badly.

Don't get yourself too down about it, you never know what will happen! My aunt also sells Premier. She has twice tried to have an open house to get rid of her samples (she sells everything that she has at 50% off trying to make money to buy the new stuff coming out). Both times she said she didn't have too much luck. You really have to like the jewelry to even buy it at 50% off!

put the food at your table...if you are supplying it, why not!
It will draw people to your table, and you SHOULD get credit for it! Then you can talk with people about the products you used to make the food or spices, etc.

I hope you are making food that showcases products good!
That Collapsible Bowl is HOT!
Or maybe a delicious dip that uses a spice , etc...

Do a drawing for a prize or the host benefits.

give recipe cards out , with your info on them...

talk about the Power Cooking shows that are $2 per serving! and how PC can save money in the long run!

Your friend seems a bit bossy...ahhhhh...this was YOUR thing to start with, and she's "Telling" you how it's going to work! !? !?!?

KEEP a POSITIVE mindset! Has anyone seen that video "The Secret"...attract positive thoughts, DON"T focus on any negatives. Think, "I"m going to have a successful show, and get bookings!"

Best of luck with it, and let us know how it worked out.

I had a recent show where one of the guests (host's friend) bullied the host into allowing her to bring her Cookie Lee line and lay it out all over.

I had told her no when she had asked if the friend could do this. I was po'd
but didn't let on & took the opportunity to point out that in these times when disposable income is down in most households, a PC purchase is practical. I also discussed power cooking etc. The show had 13 guests with comm. sales of $611 so I wasn't disappointed. I also got some bookings with an $815 show so far, so all was not lost.

I tried not to be obvious, but tried to plant the idea that disposable income in these times shouldn't be wasted on jewelry but instead invested in PC products. A purchase they need not feel guilty about.

You have the advantage.... folks NEED to eat, they don't NEED jewelry - go for THAT angle!With gas as high as it is, folks feeling the crunch in all that they're buying see how you can work a display that will remind them that 'they gotta eat' and well, PC helps them do that economically and easily... much more than jewelry ever will! That may appeal more to them than anything 50% that won't feed them when they're hungry!

You can also mention using this show as a shopping oppertunity for father's day, wedding and bridal showers. They are already there, and they can save gas by not having to go to another store or mall. and you might also mention that they can order for their out of town or state friends or family and have it shipped to them. I mentioned this at a show in gereneral converstation and got an order for $150.00 as a gift for someone and it was sent to them....

Chef Endora said:
I had a recent show where one of the guests (host's friend) bullied the host into allowing her to bring her Cookie Lee line and lay it out all over.

I had told her no when she had asked if the friend could do this. I was po'd
but didn't let on & took the opportunity to point out that in these times when disposable income is down in most households, a PC purchase is practical. I also discussed power cooking etc. The show had 13 guests with comm. sales of $611 so I wasn't disappointed. I also got some bookings with an $815 show so far, so all was not lost.

I tried not to be obvious, but tried to plant the idea that disposable income in these times shouldn't be wasted on jewelry but instead invested in PC products. A purchase they need not feel guilty about.

this is exactly what I was thinking! Jewlery girl can't offer what you have...a product that is an investment in times when the economy is good and bad, a product that helps bring families together in times that are good & bad, a practical investement for those looking to earn more for free or for those looking for extra income!

Got get 'em!!!!!!!!

Well, maybe you need to look at it differnetlyI totally agree with Becky.
Can I offer something here that totally will go against the grain? Look at the situation in it's entirety. See how it will NOT improve your business. Then decide if it really is worth your time, money and energy. If it is not, what is the worst thing that could happen if you said to her, I CAN NOT DO IT! (Not I WILL not, but I CAN not.) They are two totally different things. If she asks why tell her the truth. It is not going to help your business at this time. That's all you need to say. OR if you can not say no, say yes but do this, NEVER, NEVER put your self so far out there that it costs you a fortune for nothing. DO NOT SERVE FOOD and FEED every one of HER guests. DO NOT DO THAT!!! IT IS, I HATE TO BE BLUNT, BUT IT IS STUPID!!! You want to set up SOME products, the July Host Products would be best then take your Food Chopper, a Cutting Board and a bag of potatoes! OR BETTER YET, take the Mandolin as it is one of the June Host Specials and demo that only!! When asked where the food is, simply tell her you only brought what you needed to show off your products. No further explanation is needed. If she is not totally stupid, she should know and so should all of us know, we sell products that create food. We don't sell brownies or cakes or little spinach thingies made with ham. We sell the products that make those things.
AND YOU ARE ALWAYS ALLOWED TO TELL ANYONE NO!!! In both cases. Doing the Coop thing and doing a party for her business. It was supposed to be a swap. She dropped the ball - tell her no. If she says you promised. You simply tell her "So did you! You did NOT hold up your end of the bargin so I am not longer oligated." (I can't spell, never could!)
KISS the situation. To me it sounds like she simply wants you to provide the food! YOU ARE NOT A CATERER! THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU SELL! THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MAKE A LIVING! AND THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DEMONSTRATING EVER!
I had a similar situation happen many moons ago and learned the hard way. I spent over $100 for one booking for a $500 party. NEVER AGAIN WILL I PUT MYSELF IN THAT SITUATION. They want food, let them order in!
I will NOT appologize for being so blunt. I am just sick of us being taken advantage of because we deal in food. AND YOU ALL SHOULD BE TOO!

Last edited:
So Leslie, what are you going to do? It's tomorrow night and I can't wait to know!

Okay, so it is over. I kind of feel bad because only 4 people showed up and all but 1 was related to her. None on my people showed up. I sold about $100, no bookings (I go to church with all of the people who showed up). We mostly sat on the couch and just gossiped:blushing:

1. Why do I keep burning my food?

It's possible that your stove or oven may be at a higher temperature than you think. We recommend using an oven thermometer to ensure the correct temperature. It's also important to keep an eye on your food and use a timer to avoid overcooking.

2. How can I prevent my food from sticking to the pan?

Make sure to use enough oil or cooking spray to coat the pan before adding your food. Using a non-stick pan or lining it with parchment paper can also help prevent sticking. It's also important to not overcrowd the pan, as this can cause food to stick together.

3. Why do my cookies always turn out flat?

Flat cookies are often a result of using too much butter or not enough flour. Make sure to measure your ingredients accurately and use the recommended amounts in the recipe. Also, try chilling the dough before baking to help it hold its shape.

4. How do I know when my meat is done cooking?

The best way to ensure your meat is cooked to the appropriate temperature is by using a meat thermometer. This will give you an accurate reading and help prevent under or overcooking. You can also refer to our recommended cooking times for different types of meat.

5. Why do my cakes always come out dry?

Dry cakes can be a result of overmixing the batter or baking at too high of a temperature. Make sure to follow the recipe and mix just until the ingredients are combined. It's also important to check your oven temperature and adjust as needed. You can also try adding a bit of sour cream or applesauce to the batter for added moisture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KBender295
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • 3girls
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies