• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Did My Pampered Chef Show Turn into a Costco Comparison?

In summary, the speaker had a show for a friend with a "quick appetizer" theme and planned on having the guests help put the recipes together. However, when the guests didn't show interest, the speaker switched to plan B. One of the guests, who was a Pampered Chef expert, constantly countered the demoed products by saying they could be found cheaper at Costco. She also convinced the other guests that our guarantee was not reliable. The speaker offered to have another show or get-together, but the guest declined. The speaker then shared her love for Pampered Chef products and the excitement of receiving them in the mail.
pamperedinAlaska
Silver Member
So I just had this show for a friend. I did a "quick appetizer" theme, easy recipes for drop-in guests. I originally planned on the gals helping me put them all together. When I couldn't get their attention to start the show, and then when I invited them into the kitchen to start cooking and no-one got up...I switched to plan B. Anyway, one of the gals (who happened to be a Pampered Chef expert)decided to counter each of the products I demoed with "you can get it cheaper at Costco". She convinced the ladies that our guarantee was only as good as the odds that they would follow through on a return...so save money up front. She told them where to find complete sets of silicone bakeware for under $100, and raved about Fred Meyer's cookware section! After helping herself to several appetizers and not even opening her catalog to order, she then shared with our ladies where to find free recipes instead of spending money on a cookbook! I did ask if she'd like to have a show, have another nice get-together like tonights..but she said no. Wow, what a night...I've always been blessed with great hosts and guests...I guess it's good to mix it up a little! Just thought I'd share, and say I LOVE MY PAMPERED CHEF TOYS! And it's all worth it when the man in brown knocks on my door!
Have a great night!

costcoSounds like my show last night. Or was it a show?????? After driving 45 minutes to get there I;m greeted at the door by an amazed relative who had NO IDEA of the show. The 35 confirmed were NOWHERE to be found? Talk about being in shock. Well the embarrassed relatives(2) ordered $150 out of guilt. Mind you there was No show:( Thank goodness there's always Next time. I do love my Job:D

Sorry you had such a lousy experience! I'm relatively new so I haven't had the "You can get it cheaper at (in my case) Wal-Mart!" guest YET. I would probably try to point out the superior quality of the PC products. My hubby is hooked on the apple wedger and he picked one up at the supermarket the other day and it was so lightweight compared to ours. "One apple and it will be broken!" he said. And it wasn't that much cheaper really. I did have a lady who works with my husband bring me a huge egg slicer that was broken and ask if I could replace it for her. I knew this lady is always out to try to get something for nothing so my first response was "Well what is it?". When she answered, "A PC egg slicer" I politely told her that it wasn't. I mean this thing was twice the size of ours and half the weight! She said "Oh well maybe it came from the dollar store then." You think???

I did have someone tell me at my last show that the recipes were all online now and there wasn't much use for cookbooks. I just laughed it off and said "Yes but you can't cuddle up with your computer and drool at the pictures quite as easy. I love cookbooks!"

How about those@#$%@^ ads from Bed, bath and Beyond and Linens and Things? Every other day they are coming to my house. The stuff is such garbage. I bought the roasting pan 2 years ago ($9.99) and what junk. I have a lot of people asking why our stones are so much more. I just explain quality and hope for the best!!!

Ember- was this show in the valley?? It may be cheaper at Costco but you are going to pay more in gas by driving to Anchorage! Fred Meyer's cookware section sucks in my opinion, and they only have the cookware that leaves "pepper" in your food when you scratch it.

I had a guest tell me that she really wanted to US&G, but couldn't justify the cost. She bought a cheap mandoline at Walmart for $10 bucks, and it broke. She bought a different one then that sliced and grated for $30. It broke. She finally ordered the US&G because she had spent almost the same amount of money of the broken ones than she would have just buying the US&G. She cut her losses and has had no problems with her US&G for over 18 months now.

I tell that story at my shows now and it really puts things in perspective! Plus, I tell guests that make Costco comments that it is much less stressful to shop from your feet rather than battling Anchorage traffic, finding a spot in the horrible parking lot (I always go to the Diamond one) forcing your way in, then waiting in the ENDLESS checkout line just to save $10?? I don't think so!

pcleah said:
How about those@#$%@^ ads from Bed, bath and Beyond and Linens and Things? Every other day they are coming to my house. The stuff is such garbage. I bought the roasting pan 2 years ago ($9.99) and what junk. I have a lot of people asking why our stones are so much more. I just explain quality and hope for the best!!!

Ditto!!!

FYI about our stones. Our stones are 100% natural clay and you can cook everything plus comes with a 3 year warranty. The other cheaper ones you can only cook bread. :D

CAmomCookin4U said:
Sounds like my show last night. Or was it a show?????? After driving 45 minutes to get there I;m greeted at the door by an amazed relative who had NO IDEA of the show. The 35 confirmed were NOWHERE to be found? Talk about being in shock. Well the embarrassed relatives(2) ordered $150 out of guilt. Mind you there was No show:( Thank goodness there's always Next time. I do love my Job:D

OMG, I bet those relatives were not very happy........but then again they sure will be happy when the receive there stuff.:)

gilliandanielle said:
...I had a guest tell me that she really wanted to US&G, but couldn't justify the cost. She bought a cheap mandoline at Walmart for $10 bucks, and it broke. She bought a different one then that sliced and grated for $30. It broke. She finally ordered the US&G because she had spent almost the same amount of money of the broken ones than she would have just buying the US&G. She cut her losses and has had no problems with her US&G for over 18 months now.

I tell that story at my shows now and it really puts things in perspective!....

I love stories like this - and I plan on using it at my show this evening!

my sister always says things like I found these cheaper at costco Like last yr she found the roaster I just looked at her and said does it have the lifetime warranty?

I get the "I can get that at WalMart a lot cheaper" comment a lot. I have learned to smile and say "Yes, you can, but...". Then I explain the warrantee of our products and the quality. I know that our products are better. Our Quickut knife has a 5 year warrantee. How many products can you buy at WalMart and take back 1, 3, 5 or even 10 years later and get a replacement? Even expensive TVs only have a 90 period of exchange or refund. Our stones are so much better than others on the market. Before I sold PC my mom bought a rectangle stone from some other company. It does not cook anywhere near as well as ours does.

Some people....are so cheap. I really try to stay away from those people who insist that they can get a better deal at the dollar store!! :eek:
I just laugh.
Those who say they can get a better deal at Costco or Walmart usually get me excited because I know they spend money on things all the time but they want a good deal.
I always mention this at my show:
"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!"

That is so true. I always ask people would you rather bake on this (the usual aluminum pan) or a stone. Then I sometimes am able to put store bought cookie dough on each of them. The cookies on the stone are evenly cooked and browned with no black bottoms. It's great!!

I tell people that they can go to Walmart and purchase look alike products at a fraction of the cost, but I know for sure they will have to go back and buy about 2 or 3 more of them before the end of the year. Our products are superior and our warranties are great!!! Even walmart won't take back a product after 1 or 2 years!!!

Debbie :D

I had my mother-in-law tell me that she found a stone at a cheaper store, and she used it all the time. But later, she mentioned that it absorbed water when she washed it, and she always had to soak it because stuff stuck so badly. She said that it was always damp to the touch after washing, and she had to let it dry on the counter for 12 hours before using it again! :eek: I just went EW... her stone is obviously sucking up all SORTS of things... and it'll only be a matter of time before some of those water molecules in it cause it to crack!

She should have gone with a PC stone... so much easier to take care of! I can wash a stone, dry it with a towel and use it again right away.

I love when people say they find stuff cheaper elsewhere! I just say, you get what you pay for, and why shop from your feet when you can shop from your seat! Plus, will wal-mart or costco give you a FREE product when you spend $60 at their store? I don't think so.

Plus, I always add that with PC if they are unhappy for any reason with their product they can return it for a refund.

Too bad you all weren't at my show!! I do have to say that the host thought the show was great, and all the guests had a good time...so I concider it a success.

In defense of Costco, they have an excellent return policy, with that being said my Costco working husband LOVES our knives and cookware! People have said at shows "did you see the roaster at Costco" I try and reply "Sure did, I hope my husband comes home with his free Costco turkey to put in my PC roasting pan." Also, I try to always bring it to the food at Costco, did you see the Parmesan blocks they have there? They are perfect for our graters and talk about the microplane and cheese grater. Don't buy the big bag of grated, it spoils too soon, fresh is best! Love Costco.........but PC a bit more :)

chefmelody said:
I had my mother-in-law tell me that she found a stone at a cheaper store, and she used it all the time. But later, she mentioned that it absorbed water when she washed it, and she always had to soak it because stuff stuck so badly. She said that it was always damp to the touch after washing, and she had to let it dry on the counter for 12 hours before using it again! :eek: I just went EW... her stone is obviously sucking up all SORTS of things... and it'll only be a matter of time before some of those water molecules in it cause it to crack!

She should have gone with a PC stone... so much easier to take care of! I can wash a stone, dry it with a towel and use it again right away.
What do you want to bet she's got mildew growing in the center of her stone. When it breaks, she'll find the mildew in the center. Yuck!

I had a stone from Walmart before my PC stone. And I had to cover it with foil to cook on it for anything to come off of it b?c it stuck so bad. The day my PC stone got here the Walmart one went in the garbage!! No foil with PC!!!

I usually bring my Target $1 bin food chopper with me. I use it to compare the quality--and ease of use and cleaning....if there is a willing Man at the show, I take the PC one apart and the cheap one apart and hand it to the Man to see if he can put it together--then when he fails...I hand him the PC chopper and everyone is impressed at how quickly even a Man can put it back together. This always produces "bonding" among the group because who hasn't grabbed something from the $1 bin or somewhere else and thought you had a great deal..until you got it home. We all have !

Don't let people like that get you down--they feel a need to be important. Maybe invite her to come up and use some of the products...then she might be selling for you before the night is over!

Crazy Host
rennea said:
OMG, I bet those relatives were not very happy........but then again they sure will be happy when the receive there stuff.:)
Sadly I don't think that they were to shocked. But they will be excited when they get there goodies tomorrow:D

1. How does Costco's membership work?

Costco offers two types of memberships: Gold Star and Executive. Gold Star is the basic membership that costs $60 per year and allows you to shop at any Costco location. The Executive membership costs $120 per year and offers additional perks such as 2% cash back on purchases and access to discounted services. Both memberships require a yearly renewal.

2. Does Costco offer a warranty on their products?

Yes, Costco offers a satisfaction guarantee on all of their products. This means that if you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it for a full refund. Additionally, many products come with a manufacturer's warranty for added protection.

3. Can I use my Visa credit card at Costco?

Yes, Costco only accepts Visa credit cards as a form of payment. They do not accept any other credit cards, including Mastercard, American Express, or Discover. However, you can also pay with cash, check, or debit card.

4. Can I shop at Costco without a membership?

No, you need a membership to shop at Costco. However, if you have a friend or family member with a membership, you can shop with them as a guest. You can also purchase a Costco Cash Card, which will allow you to shop at Costco without a membership but you will need to have the physical card with you at the time of purchase.

5. Does Costco offer online shopping and delivery?

Yes, Costco offers online shopping and delivery for many of their products. However, some items may only be available for purchase in-store. You can also choose to have your online order shipped to your home or pick it up at your local Costco warehouse.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jendill
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Nikki Wortman
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
zonbn
Replies