• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why are debit cards being declined?

In summary, there are various reasons why credit or debit cards may be declined when used for purchases. These include incorrect information, security measures such as CCV2 verification, and insufficient funds. It is generally recommended to accept both credit and debit cards, as some customers may not have access to a credit card. Debit cards can also be a safer option as they immediately show if there are insufficient funds, unlike checks which can take longer to bounce. It is also important to verify the validity of checks before accepting them.
redsoxgirl
All of the cards that I've had issues with are debit cards with a Visa or Mastercard logo on them.

Should I stop accepting these cards and only accept real credit cards??

What issues are you having? Not enough money in account? Personally I would not stop accepting them b/c some people don't have real credit cards. I also don't know if there is a way to stop accepting them through your PWS if you have one.

Some people have told me there's plenty of money, others have told me there's money in it "now".

It's all from kitchen shows, none from PWS.

There's no way of knowing without seeing the card itself. They work just like 'real' credit cards up to the balance that's in the account - though most banks are quire happy to oblige a charge so they can overdraw the account and charge the customer for the overdraw AND NSF fees... yeah, fun. Yes, for many of us those are the way we make online purchases and such... but like with taking ANY credit card there's always a risk of it being declined for many reasons... including not enough balance. Just like real credit cards are declined for many reasons... including being overdrawn. Checks have a risk too... same risk as a debit card... really the only truly secure payment is cash.

sometimes when HO says its declined I call first ask for it to be manually run thru finance (veriphone) and it goes thru no problemI ALWAYS do that before calling the customer

Anytime I've done that, it's declined again

then the customer doesn't have the $$$

WHY CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ARE DECLINED:

1.) Incorrect expiration date
2.) Customer gave wrong number/ Consultant entered wrong number
3.) Financial instituition requires CCV2 vefification
4.) Customer's card is blocked due to fraud
5.) Customer's card is blocked due to incorrect address
6.) Customer's card is blocked due to being lost/stolen
7.) Customer has no money!!!!

There are more but I can't think of any more at the moment. I worked in the ATM/Credit Card Department for 5 years at a financial institution, and while I was there I learned LOTS of information about declined cards, and I was suprised at the reasons why a card would come up as "declined"! So NEVER assume that the card is declined b/c the customer has no money! In my experience that is one of the least common reasons a card is declined! Hope you find this helpful!

Any time that I've taken a debit card it goes through no problem. My mom works at a bank and has told me that taking the debit card is better than a check because they cannot send back debit charges...if the customer doesn't have the money the back just charges the overdraft fees. i'm not sure if this is true for all banks or not, but it's true for both mine and my husband's.

ElizabethPurvis said:
Any time that I've taken a debit card it goes through no problem. My mom works at a bank and has told me that taking the debit card is better than a check because they cannot send back debit charges...if the customer doesn't have the money the back just charges the overdraft fees. i'm not sure if this is true for all banks or not, but it's true for both mine and my husband's.

Yes this is true! I always tell my customers that I prefer debit cards... because if it is declined, or if the $ isn't there with a debit card at least you will know RIGHT AWAY, right after you submit the order to HO instead of having the check returned :grumpy: like a week later or so! Usually once the show has already shipped! That has happened to me twice- ugh.

I have never had an issue...

I would rather take someone's debit card than their check.I am WAY anal about checks ... I take them to the bank where they were drawn and verify funds and cash the check if I can. If my own family will bounce checks on me ... why not a stranger?I once purchased candles and the consultant called me to tell me there was a problem ... in the interim, I had upgraded to a new kind of debit card that gave me better points. I did not realize that invalidated the old card!I gave her the new number and we were good to go.Also ... I do not have ANY credit cards! Why would I hold a customer to a standard I cannot hold myself to, namely using a credit card and not a debit card?

bsaxman said:
WHY CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ARE DECLINED:

1.) Incorrect expiration date
2.) Customer gave wrong number/ Consultant entered wrong number
3.) Financial instituition requires CCV2 vefification
4.) Customer's card is blocked due to fraud
5.) Customer's card is blocked due to incorrect address
6.) Customer's card is blocked due to being lost/stolen
7.) Customer has no money!!!!

There are more but I can't think of any more at the moment. I worked in the ATM/Credit Card Department for 5 years at a financial institution, and while I was there I learned LOTS of information about declined cards, and I was suprised at the reasons why a card would come up as "declined"! So NEVER assume that the card is declined b/c the customer has no money! In my experience that is one of the least common reasons a card is declined! Hope you find this helpful!

Add this to the list too...

If your customer has exceeded his/her debit limit for the day (some financial institutions limit the dollar amount debited per day, fraud preventtion).

1. What forms of payment do you accept?

At Pampered Chef, we accept debit cards, credit cards, and electronic payments through Paypal or Apple Pay.

2. Can I use my debit card to make a purchase?

Yes, absolutely! We accept all major debit cards including Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.

3. Is there a minimum purchase amount for using a debit card?

No, there is no minimum purchase amount when using a debit card at Pampered Chef. You can use your debit card for any amount, big or small.

4. Are there any additional fees for using a debit card?

No, there are no additional fees for using a debit card at Pampered Chef. The price you see on our website is the price you will pay.

5. Can I use my debit card for online orders?

Yes, you can use your debit card for online orders at Pampered Chef. Simply enter your debit card information at checkout and your payment will be processed securely.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Adrian
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • pkd09
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • melissasutkus