• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Was the Culprit Behind Our Power Outage?

In summary, a staff meeting is scheduled for Sunday. If an employee does not comply with new rules and procedures, they may be fired.
rennea
Gold Member
Need to vent!

As some of you know we have been having troubles at work. Well we are changing things up and setting new rules and procedures. Our staff meeting is this Sunday we are calling it "out with the old in with the new". Well this meeting couldn't come at a better time. Wait till you hear this...

Last night we had a storm here and our power kept going off and on. A staff member called and to say that some equipment wasn't working. We called the power company and they said that it would be fixed in about an hour or so. So we told staff to close until it was fully on cause we couldn't have food in the oven if the oven kept going out. An hour goes buy and they call back to say that it had gone out completely, my DH said well the power company said to give them time that it would be on for sure they just need to fix the line.

DH decides to head down to check stuff out. He goes to the front door and unlocks it, goes inside and what does he smell MARIJUANA!!! So he goes in the back and ask what the heck is going on. There stands 6 stunned employees. He asks why do I smell pot, again nothing but deer in headlights. So DH tells them they own up to who's doing it or they are ALL fired. Finally one guy admits it's him and DH fires him on the spot and tells the rest of them to get out.

WTH!!! What is wrong with people, do they not have any respect? So needless to say 5 very terrified employees did there best to kiss but today. I was so mad I still haven't slept!

Thanks I feel better getting that out.

OMG! I had a wild hair in my butt as I was growing up, but would never have done that! Some balls!

Well his balls are now unemployed!!

OH MY WORD!!! How awful!! What a terrible thing to have to deal with.

I would be spitting nails! It's YOUR business at stake.....

That is so not cool - poor judgement, and immaturity. Sorry you had to deal with all of that, Rennea.:(

That is just stupid! He is lucky your DH didn't call the police! Hope he doesn't try to file unemployment! He would have a hard time explaining dismissal due to smoking pot!

How horrible! I can relate. I worked at my aunt and uncle's coffee shop for a number of years - I opened in the morning so was by myself. One morning I came in and could smell marijuana. I went back into the bathroom and there was the owner's son, my cousin, sleeping, reeking of marijuana. Yeah, that was really fun ratting him out. He's been in and out of prison all his life for drug related crimes and his dad, the enabler, covered up for him.

Anyway, I digress. Sorry you have to deal with this! I do feel for ya!

pcchefjane said:
That is just stupid! He is lucky your DH didn't call the police! Hope he doesn't try to file unemployment! He would have a hard time explaining dismissal due to smoking pot!

I told him he should have called the police, I think I would have. One of the staff working last night is only 16, she's the youngest. She came into work today and said she was "terrified". They had been working and this twit had lit up and one of the other staff had told him to put it out and asked him what the heck he was doing. Just then DH showed up. DH said she hadn't uttered a word the whole time. Nice enviroment for a young person don't you think:rolleyes:

OMG! That's awful. Yeah, I would have called the cops. Stupid punks. They should know better than do that.

rennea said:
I told him he should have called the police, I think I would have. One of the staff working last night is only 16, she's the youngest. She came into work today and said she was "terrified". They had been working and this twit had lit up and one of the other staff had told him to put it out and asked him what the heck he was doing. Just then DH showed up. DH said she hadn't uttered a word the whole time. Nice enviroment for a young person don't you think:rolleyes:

She was probably scared to say something at the moment, in case one of the other employees retaliated. At least she spoke up eventually.

What a terrible situation!

Oh Rennea!! I can totally relate as we've had our share of trouble with staff at our golf course over the years! Hope it all works out.

We haven't experienced that exactly - but pretty close! Seems the mentality now or days is when the boss is away........ We are going through the cleaning out process as well in our restaurant - Its never a easy process, you get to be "friends" with some of your employees and then sometimes they take advantage of it!

We have had a problem with them giving away or consuming with out paying for drinks - DON"T they understand that is the same as stealing out of the register? We have a strict policy - no drinking on the job, employee menu, (not just ordering whatever they want) what need to be set up BEFORE shift and AFTER shift... etc. Sorry you are going through this, its not a easy business! New staff sometimes is a good refreshing thing!

BTW - my DH would have fired ALL the employees - they ALL should have known that it was wrong and inappropriate!!

OMGoodness!I can't imagine having the nerve to do that! In defense of the other employees, it sounds like they tried to dissuade him but he was a stubborn idiot.
Too bad DH didn't call the cops.

sorry to hear of the extra stress in your life rennea :(

my goodness

That is awful, I hope your meeting goes well and everyone will learn from what happened to this person. How old was the "twit" (as you called him)? If he is a minor what is your responsibility to tell his parents?

Maybe you should consider drug testing your employees from now on...I don't know what that entails, but if they come in knowing they have the potential to be tested at any time maybe it will keep them clean. you don't need druggies running your place while you are not there.

The Drug testing thing isn't as easy as one might think - it can open a whole can of worms - you need to have a trained medical personel to perform it - forms of consent - then make sure they actually use their OWN specimen - mostly its not worth the time and the money in this industry -

We have been in the restaurant business over 20 years and sadly to say, this happens alot - I think what shocks us owners most is the gall of some employees - We have learned to sadly TRUST no one! (or only a very select few who have earned it and then still keep your eyes open widely!)

ChefJWarren said:
OMG! I had a wild hair in my butt as I was growing up, but would never have done that! Some balls!

eeew, you had wild butt hair? LOL:yuck:

Chef Michelle D said:
That is awful, I hope your meeting goes well and everyone will learn from what happened to this person. How old was the "twit" (as you called him)? If he is a minor what is your responsibility to tell his parents?

He's 19 and doesn't live with his parents.

Kitchen Diva said:
eeew, you had wild butt hair? LOL:yuck:

Oh YEAHHHHH - Our Kacey is back!!!! Missed ya my sista!!!

Sorry for the Highjack Rennea!!

How did the meeting go with the drug using brat??

chefsteph07 said:
Maybe you should consider drug testing your employees from now on...I don't know what that entails, but if they come in knowing they have the potential to be tested at any time maybe it will keep them clean. you don't need druggies running your place while you are not there.

Drug testing is very popular here. Our local hospital lab does it for many companies around here. We have talked about doing in the past. Something to think about!

Oooo- LOOK!!! I've got a pretty new star! :)

sorry for the hijack-

Rennea, we do drug testing at my work- You'd be amazed at how many people turn down offers once they find out we do background checks and drug testing! I'm sorry that you and your DH had to go through that- it's too bad that people just don't get it some times. Is pot illegal in Canada like it is in the US?

PamperedDor said:
Oh YEAHHHHH - Our Kacey is back!!!! Missed ya my sista!!!

Sorry for the Highjack Rennea!!

How did the meeting go with the drug using brat??

I popped in just to see how my fellow CS Mafia member was doing... and sadly she has workers smoking pot when she's not there!

LOL

Kitchen Diva said:
I popped in just to see how my fellow CS Mafia member was doing... and sadly she has workers smoking pot when she's not there!

LOL

Oh only YOU could bring humor to this thread - that is why we all love ya so much Kacey!!!

Didn't know Rennea was CS Mafia - hmmm - did I miss that thread?;)

Mafia what mafia;)

Yes, pot is illegal here.

Oh sure - now your pleading the 5th?? - do you have the 5th in Canada?

BTW - check with your employement boards on how to conduct the drug test thing - its not as easy as we all think - violations of privacy etc over here -

PamperedDor said:
Oh only YOU could bring humor to this thread - that is why we all love ya so much Kacey!!!

Didn't know Rennea was CS Mafia - hmmm - did I miss that thread?;)

I actually shouldn't have said that- I'll open up a bad can of worms and hurt feelings. You were in the old CS Mafia thread, Dor- ya goofball. :)

It's been a crazy week at work, so I'm a bit punchy- sorry about that, and sorry for hijacking your thread AGAIN Miss Rennea- but you know I heart you big time! :)

rennea said:
Mafia what mafia;)
rennea said:
Hee hee!

Yes, pot is illegal here.

Well, then I'm doubly sorry for the idiot that lit up! Want me to fly up and break his knee caps? You just tell them you have friends that are married to Italian's and a diva in the CS Mafia!

Oops, there I go again...starting trouble with a single bound--able to annoy and tick off faster than a speeding bullet...;):blushing:

Kitchen Diva said:

Well, then I'm doubly sorry for the idiot that lit up! Want me to fly up and break his knee caps? You just tell them you have friends that are married to Italian's and a diva in the CS Mafia!

Oops, there I go again...starting trouble with a single bound--able to annoy and tick off faster than a speeding bullet...;):blushing:

ITS SUPER KACEY!!!!!!

LOL!! OH Ya CS - she is back and totally ready to go!!!

AND HEY - I will email you - but you are right - don't hold your breath this week!!!

I must be braindead - forgot about the mafia thread - LOL - ok - time to sign off !~

Rennea - let me know how you make out with this one - and pm me you link for your restaurant and I will pm you mine!

PamperedDor said:
ITS SUPER KACEY!!!!!!

LOL!! OH Ya CS - she is back and totally ready to go!!!

AND HEY - I will email you - but you are right - don't hold your breath this week!!!

I must be braindead - forgot about the mafia thread - LOL - ok - time to sign off !~

Rennea - let me know how you make out with this one - and pm me you link for your restaurant and I will pm you mine!
Hey, I want a PM link to both restaurants! :) Haha- super kacey!!! LOL don't feed my ego- DH has posted signs all over the house...it's like a Zoo with all the DON'T FEED HER EGO signs over here!

I'm off to bed!

Is it legal/illegal to say to a potential employee "we may do random drug testing at any time during your employment here" without actually DOING it?
Maybe if that's not crossing a line, you could tell them that when they go to fill out an app, that way if they don't fill one out you know it was bad news. I don't know if that's like "false advertising though"...but if you can get away with that while you are checking out how to go about doing the real thing, maybe you should just do that.

At the staffing agency I used to work at, we did basic drug testing in the office. The cups we got were very simple to use... The person peed in it and then put on a lid. We did not touch it. We checked the gage for the temperature (fresh pee has a temp of 90-95 degrees) and if it was out of that range, it was not "good". Then it had strips for various illegal drugs. You should have heard some of the excuses... "My cousin was smoking weed on the back porch last night at my grandma's and it must be from that..." or "Gosh, it must be my blood pressure meds..." or the classic "It's been over 6 months...it shouldn't still be in my system!" We had to have them sign a consent form to do it and we charged $20 and then "gave it back" if the test was negative. We had a few "carry in" pee but it was easily detected. The drug screen company we sent them to if it was a positive for us told me that one time, she got a temp of 105...seems the guy put it on his engine to keep it from getting too cold on his way there! He didn't realize there was a "top temp"! Some people are nuts!

Hope you get this all resolved! I do like Steph's idea...

1. What happened during the power outage?

During a storm, the power went out at the workplace and some equipment stopped working. The power company was called and it was expected to be fixed within an hour.

2. Why did the staff decide to close during the outage?

The staff decided to close because they couldn't continue cooking with the power going on and off. They were concerned about food safety and did not want to risk serving food that was not properly cooked.

3. What did the power company say when they were called?

The power company initially stated that the power would be back on within an hour. However, it ended up going out completely.

4. What did the owner discover when he went to check on the situation?

The owner found that someone had been smoking marijuana inside the building. He immediately confronted the employees and one of them admitted to being the culprit.

5. What was the consequence for the employee who admitted to smoking marijuana?

The employee who admitted to smoking marijuana was fired on the spot. The rest of the employees were also told to leave the premises.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
parttimepcbecky
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies
Views
stephanieboyd