• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uncovering the Reason Behind the Deep Covered Baker's Price Increase

In summary, the conversation was about a price increase of $15 for The Deep Covered Baker, a product that was previously only available as a host reward. The increase sparked discussion about the reason behind it, with some speculating that it was to make more profit since hosts would now have to use more FPV to pay for it. Others were concerned about the impact on commission and discounts for hosts. Despite some upset, it was suggested to not make a big deal about it and handle any complaints with an explanation about increased production costs.
emiscookin
Hi everyone~

Geez! Me being so sick while preggo and really kept me away from the computer and I missed you all! ;)

Anyway, I tried to search for some threads about this but couldn't find any so here I am starting one. I apologize if someone started one already.

I went to our monthly team meeting last night and we were discussing the new products (grr on the price increases, but that's typical) but the price increase that really got to me was The Deep Covered Baker!! $15 price increase!? What the heck!? :grumpy: For the first time in 15 years my Director was unable to attend conference and the rest of us couldn't make it either so we were wondering what PC's reason behind this is???

This is my guess: Since they are still doing it as a Host Only item for Fall/Winter it is an item that will be purchased with Host rewards so...PC is never gonna get full price for it. Maybe....so they could make a little bit of profit on it, they raised the price??? That's the only explaination I can think of, but for those of you who went to conference and if they explained why they did it I would love to know. Thanks a bunch! :)

no explanation. sorry!

In fact, they didn't even mention the price increase on the DCB! Like you, we were shocked when we went thru the new catalog.

emiscookin said:
Hi everyone~

Geez! Me being so sick while preggo and really kept me away from the computer and I missed you all! ;)

Anyway, I tried to search for some threads about this but couldn't find any so here I am starting one. I apologize if someone started one already.

I went to our monthly team meeting last night and we were discussing the new products (grr on the price increases, but that's typical) but the price increase that really got to me was The Deep Covered Baker!! $15 price increase!? What the heck!? :grumpy: For the first time in 15 years my Director was unable to attend conference and the rest of us couldn't make it either so we were wondering what PC's reason behind this is???

This is my guess: Since they are still doing it as a Host Only item for Fall/Winter it is an item that will be purchased with Host rewards so...PC is never gonna get full price for it. Maybe....so they could make a little bit of profit on it, they raised the price??? That's the only explaination I can think of, but for those of you who went to conference and if they explained why they did it I would love to know. Thanks a bunch! :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Since it'll now take more FPV to pay for it, they'll be making more profit. I think the prince increase is RIDICULE but it's almost a moot point since it's for hosts only anyway.

I can't stand the price increase and I think it's "ridicule" as well! In fact, I'm pretty PO'd about it.

I think this may cut into our commission with hosts and their discount. I feel that hosts are going to be more prone to ONLY take their free items and nothing more since they automatically know they are going to be paying over $40 for the baker and then if they get any more half price items, they are going to be knowing they have to pay for those as well and not really want to take anything extra. Just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong,but if it were ME, that's what "I'd" be thinking and doing.

If you do the math, 20% off $85 is $68. So essentially, out-of-pocket, the price hasn't gone up since it's only available to hosts, and they always get a discount.

NooraK said:
If you do the math, 20% off $85 is $68. So essentially, out-of-pocket, the price hasn't gone up since it's only available to hosts, and they always get a discount.

That's what I was thinking too...

But that's essentially paying the full price now, so what's the real savings? I think it stinks. And mine will be taking them as half price items most likely.

Thanks everyone. I just don't want to deal with upset customers about this...
I'm never good at dealing with them. ;)

emiscookin said:
Thanks everyone. I just don't want to deal with upset customers about this...
I'm never good at dealing with them. ;)

Don't make a big deal about it. Most of them probably won't even notice it. If someone says anything about it, just say something along the lines of "Unfortunately, the cost of producing the DCB has gone up, and PC can only absorb so much of the expense. They try their best to keep price increases to a minimum, but unfortunately everything will eventually go up in price some day. However, as a host, you can get the DCB at a discount, or even free!"

I agree with Noora.. Don't make a big deal- I wouldn't even draw attention to the fact of the price increase(s). I don't even plan on mentioning the price increases at ALL once the new season starts. if someone asks, that's one thing. We deal with price increases all the time- gas, food, etc...it's part of the cost of doing business these days. And for a host buying the DCB- if she's using it as a half-price item, instead of paying $34.5, she'll be getting it for $42.50. Only $8 more...still a HECK of a deal if you ask me.Over the bigger picture- PC doesn't raise prices all that much. I've got catalogs from 10-15 years ago, and the Food Chopper was the same price then as it is now, as are many other products. So for them to make some adjustments, ok then! I'm cool with that. Moving on......

Me too! I think some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. It is simple economics supply and demand. Demand up, supply low, price goes up. They are having supply issues so... But if the demand goes down at that price and they can get more and the supply goes up, they MAY lower the price again. It has been done before on cookware especially. Look at the Roasting Pan. Plus, go back and look at how many have been ordered by hosts at a discount rather than as half price. None for me. Mine have always been at half price and we do not get commission on that anyway. So my bottom line will not be hurt by this at all. And if you are worried about it, make sure they order at half price then they can spend more money on little stuff that very well could add to your commission.

I'll be keeping an eye on it here in Canada. We are already selling it for $80.00 here. Hope the price doesn't go up!

Have you looked at them closely? Earlier they were a little thicker, and the lid was heavier. I purchased a white one and the handle was a little crooked on the lid. It still cooks fine and looks awesome (but I have to disclaimer when I take it to shows) but I'm betting they're ramping up the quality and that costs more.

One of the things that the Go for NO! speakers did was ask each of us what was too much to pay for a really nice dinner for two. We were to get an answer in our heads, then share it with a person next to us. As you can imagine, the answers varied widely. They then asked us to do the same thing considering a stereo system for the house. Again, the range was amazing.Yes, $85 will be too much for some people. It's not my job to decide who that might be. And, hosts can get it absolutely free if that's what they wish to do. Was I surprised at the increase? Yes. Does it actually change anything? No.

scottcooks said:
Have you looked at them closely? Earlier they were a little thicker, and the lid was heavier. I purchased a white one and the handle was a little crooked on the lid. It still cooks fine and looks awesome (but I have to disclaimer when I take it to shows) but I'm betting they're ramping up the quality and that costs more.

This is what I was thinking too...

I think they raised the price because people bought so many at full price so they realized it was underpriced before. For Pete's sake, we couldn't keep them in stock. I mentioned that to a couple customers and they all nodded and agreed.

I saw the price on the screen when they showed the page on the screen. They never talk about increases at conference. As someone said on another thread, it's about happy announcements.

I don't plan to mention ANY price increases. Most people won't notice and those that do - well, most of them get it.

Also rememeber with supply and demand, when supply is low, sometimes the price can go higher just because there aren't as many to sell.

and speaking of the DCB .. mine cracked in the microwave, called to do a PA, she said I need to return the ENTIRE BAKER, lid and all!!! I said, 'really?, you know how expensive that would be?" She said, "I know." Not, "I know!!", just "I know." Like it wasn't a big deal .. I was a little shocked by that answer .. I thought for sure I'd have to send in a small piece, as usual .. but not this time.

I"m going to research the cost and decide if i shouldn't just get a brand new one instead .. I can host my own show and get it, right, consultants can get one that way, too, right??

cookingwith_tara said:
and speaking of the DCB .. mine cracked in the microwave, called to do a PA, she said I need to return the ENTIRE BAKER, lid and all!!! I said, 'really?, you know how expensive that would be?" She said, "I know." Not, "I know!!", just "I know." Like it wasn't a big deal .. I was a little shocked by that answer .. I thought for sure I'd have to send in a small piece, as usual .. but not this time.

I"m going to research the cost and decide if i shouldn't just get a brand new one instead .. I can host my own show and get it, right, consultants can get one that way, too, right??

Yes. Consultants can get a baker as host too.

I'm curious as to why, the SS bowls are the host special this month (60% off a 650.00 show) Next month the largest is being discontinued & as of Sept. 1st they will be 84.50!! 10.00 increase :eek:. They are GREAT but I wonder why such a big increase....:confused:

raebates said:
One of the things that the Go for NO! speakers did was ask each of us what was too much to pay for a really nice dinner for two. We were to get an answer in our heads, then share it with a person next to us. As you can imagine, the answers varied widely.

They then asked us to do the same thing considering a stereo system for the house. Again, the range was amazing.

Yes, $85 will be too much for some people. It's not my job to decide who that might be. And, hosts can get it absolutely free if that's what they wish to do.

Was I surprised at the increase? Yes. Does it actually change anything? No.

"Like!" :D

when i told my husband about the price increase i was expecting him to have some sort of snide remark (since he was slow to get on board when i joined pc) - but he said "good - that thing is completely underpriced! honey, you use that item more than any other thing in the kitchen!" wow - i was totally surprised that he said that. but i agree.

cookingwith_tara said:

You can break it into pieces and put it in one of the flat rate boxes at the post office for about $8-$9. As long as it fits in the box it is the flat rate price, it doesn't matter how heavy it is. I hope that helps!

cincychef said:
You can break it into pieces and put it in one of the flat rate boxes at the post office for about $8-$9. As long as it fits in the box it is the flat rate price, it doesn't matter how heavy it is. I hope that helps!

that's what i would do. if they want it back they can have it all back....in many pieces....lol.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. :) Don't worry, I had NO intention on mentioning the price increases to my customers, unless they noticed it and asked me about it.

The other thing I think of is that at least they can get it. It's either pay a little more for it but get it at a discount when you host, or don't get it at all. It's worth it. We won't make commission on it if they use their 1/2 price item for it, but I'm still going to encourage hosts to get it just because it's that darn good of a product.

kristina16marie said:
that's what i would do. if they want it back they can have it all back....in many pieces....lol.

I didn't even think about it that way .. haha!! But this would be easier to ship!! THANKS!!

Great idea, cincychef!!! Thanks! :)

I also would like to mention that I saw a comparable (almost) baker selling at Wal-Mart for $70 and it wouldn't fit in the microwave, wasn't an unglazed interior, and quite simply - was an inferior brand. My customers who have paid full price would tell anyone they are worth the price increase. I have one customer who uses it every day and says she would have paid twice as much if she had known just how much time it would save her in the kitchen. (Not to mention, she is usually one of the hardest people to please that I know). I'm okay with it.
Now - the SS bowls - one of my favorite products. I wish they had incorporated the 8qt into the set and that be the reason for the price increase. I sell the heck out of that 8qt bowl. It will be missed!

1. Why did the price of the Deep Covered Baker increase by $15?

The price increase of the Deep Covered Baker was due to various factors such as the cost of manufacturing, raw materials, and labor. It is also possible that Pampered Chef wanted to increase their profit margin on this product.

2. Is the Deep Covered Baker now a regular product or still a Host Only item?

Currently, the Deep Covered Baker is still a Host Only item for the Fall/Winter season. This means that it can only be purchased with Host rewards and is not available for regular purchase.

3. Will Pampered Chef ever sell the Deep Covered Baker at its original price again?

It is unlikely that Pampered Chef will sell the Deep Covered Baker at its original price again. With the increasing costs of production and materials, it is common for companies to adjust their prices to maintain their profit margins.

4. Can we expect any improvements or added features to the Deep Covered Baker to justify the price increase?

At this time, there are no announced improvements or added features to the Deep Covered Baker that would justify the price increase. However, Pampered Chef is constantly innovating and improving their products, so it is possible that there may be changes in the future.

5. How can I purchase the Deep Covered Baker if I am not hosting a party?

If you are interested in purchasing the Deep Covered Baker but are not hosting a party, you may be able to find it through a consultant or through online marketplaces. However, keep in mind that the product may still be priced at the increased amount due to its limited availability.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• whiteyteresa
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jessinthekitchen
Replies
Views
mmilus
Replies
Views
mountainmama74