• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Mails the Invitations, and Does It Really Matter?

6. It also saves me about $10...I'll sometimes pay for some of the food for certain shows if they do an awesome job getting people there!
MomToEli
I'm wondering if you mail the invitations for your host? Why have you chosen the way you have? Have you tried both ways and found one more effective than the other?

Do you use the postcards from TPC? If not, what do you use? Again, have you done more than one way?

Have you calculated the cost of sending invitations?

Lots of questions ... before I'm so stuck in a rut that I can't get out, I want to evaluate what I AM doing :D

I do send the invites. I also do the shopping. If they have a $500+ show, I will pay for the postage & ingredients! That gives them some ownership. After all, why should they have a great show if they don't have anything invested? Our host benefits are GREAT so just automatically giving them that doesn't make sense to me.

Have I noticed a difference? Not really I guess, but I like knowing that people were invited. I've heard that people get less cancellations and that if the host calls to cancel, they say..."oh, I JUST sent out the invites so if you cancel, you'll have to call everyone!". Then if they haven't, they get those invites in the mail!:D

I like that I can add any extra info. Bring a friend. On-time drawing. Whatever mood I am in. I have used the standard postcards, but plan to start using more fun invites that my director gave me to make it look more fun.

1. Host mails.
2. Started that way.
3. Haven't tried the alternative.
4. Cards from TPC - have them and they came in the kit or with the booster kit - cheap.
5. Only done it that way - successful so far. For me it is cheaper and less time consuming. If I can get my hosts to communicate with their friends, I feel it is better...they are doing the work not me and their excitement (as a non-PC person) goes further than me who is "expected" to be selling it...
6. It also saves me about $10...I'll sometimes pay for some of the food for certain shows if they do an awesome job getting people there!

Sidenotes: I do open the packs and put the bring a friend, get a gift stickers on the invitations. I check in with the hosts to remind them to mail and make calls and see how they are doing.

I started with the hosts mailing the invites & in Mar '06 started mailing them myself. I use it as a tax write-off. I've had much fewer cancelled shows (& I knew they would be cancelled at least 2 weeks early b/c I didn't have a guest list). I also have many more online orders now b/c I add a line about using my website if they can't come. I also don't waste money on buying too many invitations b/c I know how many are being used each month. I currently use the postcard invites from PC, but am thinking of starting with invites I do on computer paper & mail in envelopes starting with the fall season. I am curious to see if the invites make a difference since I can tailor them to the type of show & they have a better chance of not getting lost in the mail! But it's more postage, so we'll see.

I'm too lazy/cheap/disorganized to do the mailing. I do print the information on the postcards before putting in the host packet. I think this makes it so much easier for the host to give to people without having to write everything out by hand.

I started mailing my invites almost 2 years ago. Before that, my hosts mailed them & I never knew when they were mailed (or if!), how many were invited, etc. Now I know they are being sent out, and if a host gives me a small guest list, I work with her to improve it. I also use the mini catalogs with a note inside with party info. I started using those, because lots of the postcards were getting lost in the mail I heard, plus the guests get excited about the products when they have a little book to look at ahead of time. I pay for postage & use it as a tax write-off.
I have seen a big difference in my show sales & bookings since starting this:D
I recommend trying it for a few months, just to see if it changes anything for you!

janetupnorth said:
1. Host mails.
2. Started that way.
3. Haven't tried the alternative.
4. Cards from TPC - have them and they came in the kit or with the booster kit - cheap.
5. Only done it that way - successful so far. For me it is cheaper and less time consuming. If I can get my hosts to communicate with their friends, I feel it is better...they are doing the work not me and their excitement (as a non-PC person) goes further than me who is "expected" to be selling it...

Sidenotes: I do open the packs and put the bring a friend, get a gift stickers on the invitations. I check in with the hosts to remind them to mail and make calls and see how they are doing.

Ok, I had to double check that I had posted this!!;)

The only thing that I am thinking of changing a bit, is adding an extra incentive for the host for doing a,b, c, etc. Somthing like - send out 40+ invites mail/email and get x. have $100+ outside orders get y. Have secured 2 bookings prior to show, get x, y & z. Still not sure what I want them to achieve, and how much I am willing to spend on their "reward" but I'm brainstorming a couple ideas around.

I started mailing th einvites in August of 05.
My sales and attendance immediately went up...last minute cancellations went down.
I use TPC's postcards and the PWS evites.

beepampered said:
I'm too lazy/cheap/disorganized to do the mailing. I do print the information on the postcards before putting in the host packet. I think this makes it so much easier for the host to give to people without having to write everything out by hand.

That make me giggle... sounds just like me!!!

lacychef said:
I started mailing my invites almost 2 years ago. Before that, my hosts mailed them & I never knew when they were mailed (or if!), how many were invited, etc. Now I know they are being sent out, and if a host gives me a small guest list, I work with her to improve it. I also use the mini catalogs with a note inside with party info. I started using those, because lots of the postcards were getting lost in the mail I heard, plus the guests get excited about the products when they have a little book to look at ahead of time. I pay for postage & use it as a tax write-off.
I recommend trying it for a few months, just to see if it changes anything for you!

You send the mini catalogs out for EVERY show? Between the cost of the catalogs and the additional postage, that seems like it would be really expensive. What is a "big difference" in your sales and bookings?

katie0128 said:
You send the mini catalogs out for EVERY show? Between the cost of the catalogs and the additional postage, that seems like it would be really expensive. What is a "big difference" in your sales and bookings?

ya know I missed that bit of info, but I'm thinking I may try that sometime too. I took the mini to the PO to see how much it was to mail - .41. I have a family member who does TW and that's how they do their invites for the auction parties. I'd like to see the difference in sales though!:p

lacychef said:

Lacy,

I think you've posted this before, but where do you put the show information (host, date, time etc.) and is it on a sticker or paper just stuck in the mini-catalog?

I've been mailing invitations for my Hosts for at least two years (maybe going on three). I can't remember the last time I had a show cancel (that I had received a guest list from -- and I request that 3 weeks before the show). It's been a worthwhile investment for me. I pay for postage though I have been considering asking the Host to pay or using an idea posted here: collect $15 and send the invitations AND buy the ingredients.

chefjeanine said:
Lacy,

I think you've posted this before, but where do you put the show information (host, date, time etc.) and is it on a sticker or paper just stuck in the mini-catalog?

I've been mailing invitations for my Hosts for at least two years (maybe going on three). I can't remember the last time I had a show cancel (that I had received a guest list from -- and I request that 3 weeks before the show). It's been a worthwhile investment for me. I pay for postage though I have been considering asking the Host to pay or using an idea posted here: collect $15 and send the invitations AND buy the ingredients.

What do you do if a host wants to cancel a show in less than 3 weeks?

I type up just a basic word doc with show info; I make it 4 to a page & cut to fit inside the mini. I tape it inside the front page, and put a label on the outside cover that says "you're invited to a cooking show! see inside for details". That way the person knows it's an invite. Using these, it basically costs about $.50 for each one; the same as what it would cost using a full-page invite.
I think someone asked what the numbers were as far as the difference it's made in sales. I don't know exact numbers, but outside orders have gone up since they have something with products on it to look at right away. I also have directions for ordering online on my little note, so online orders have gone up too. Plus, I think it's one less thing for the host to do!

I like this, Lacy. I haven't noticed the mini catalogs on the supply order form ... I'll have to look closer!

I figure it costs me about $.50 - $.60 to mail my invites - double sided full page, tri-fold, full color, personalized. They do get a whole lot of attention. My last host told me that it was the most impressive invite she has ever seen, and she attends all sort of various home parties. BUT - her attendance was not good. That could just be a host coaching issue, too!

Anyway, I do like the idea of them having a catalog in their hands ...

Do you have any idea what the ratio is between invites sent and attendees at your shows?

katie0128 said:
What do you do if a host wants to cancel a show in less than 3 weeks?

I have not had a show cancel when I've already received the guest list. That would mean that the invitations had already been sent and that's a big deterrent to a cancellation.

If there was an emergency, I would help make phone calls to let people know the show is cancelled. If there was no emergency, the Host would have to make those contacts.

lacychef said:
I type up just a basic word doc with show info; I make it 4 to a page & cut to fit inside the mini. I tape it inside the front page, and put a label on the outside cover that says "you're invited to a cooking show! see inside for details". That way the person knows it's an invite. Using these, it basically costs about $.50 for each one; the same as what it would cost using a full-page invite.
I think someone asked what the numbers were as far as the difference it's made in sales. I don't know exact numbers, but outside orders have gone up since they have something with products on it to look at right away. I also have directions for ordering online on my little note, so online orders have gone up too. Plus, I think it's one less thing for the host to do!

This sounds like a great idea! I bet outside orders have probably gone way up. Could you post the note that you put inside the mini-catalog.

Thanks,
Marisol

I think I've tried posting my note before & it didn't work. Basically, this is what it says:

You're Invited to a Pampered Chef cooking show!
Host:_____
Date:_____
Time:_____
Place:____
RSVP:____

If you can't come but would like to order, you may contact the host, or you can go to www...... and go to "order products", then enter the hosts name, and your order will be added to the show!

Hope to see you there! And feel free to bring a friend!

I type it so it fits 4 to a page, then cut to fit inside the mini.
Good luck to any that decide to try this:)

My show on Saturday is the first time I have offered to mail the invites. I figured 40 or so invites, no big deal...right? OMG! The guest list is now well over 150 for mailed invites and at least 75 for email! Good for show total, but a nightmare trying to get them all out quickly. I am eager to see how many actually come, but man - if even 1/4 show up that will be my largest show EVER!

LisaVH said:
My show on Saturday is the first time I have offered to mail the invites. I figured 40 or so invites, no big deal...right? OMG! The guest list is now well over 150 for mailed invites and at least 75 for email! Good for show total, but a nightmare trying to get them all out quickly. I am eager to see how many actually come, but man - if even 1/4 show up that will be my largest show EVER!

For just a regular cooking show? 225 people invited? Oh, my ...

I would LOVE to have that many people invited in a MONTH of shows, let alone one! That's awesome!

Do you have kids who could help put labels on postcards? Printing labels for the show info will greatly reduce your work, too.

chefann said:
I would LOVE to have that many people invited in a MONTH of shows, let alone one! That's awesome!

Do you have kids who could help put labels on postcards? Printing labels for the show info will greatly reduce your work, too.

I modified a template to get the postcards to print in my printer and used labels for addresses, then switched to envelopes when I ran out of postcards. She sent me the guest list in waves, so I just did a few each day for like a week! I am really eager to see what this show does, but won't be able to tell if it was me sending the invites or just her insane number of friends. LOL.

Make sure you get a tentative headcount from her the day before the show so you have enough catalogs and order forms! And maybe a helper to take orders.

I mail out invites, too. I encourage them to give me email addresses because it's so much cheaper, obviously. That seems to work well. I mail postcard invites to those without email addresses. I have seen less cancellations and more attendance.

I like the idea of sending mini catalogues!

I started selling TPC last March, so I have only known to send out the invites for the host, I also pay for postage and ingredients for the food as well. It makes it easier on me because then I know who was invited and all the invites were sent out. It also makes it a ton easier on me if I do the shopping for the food, because I get to write it off on my taxes for next year!!

Lisa, I am in a similar situation. I mailed 79 for my host, she has 20 and she has another 34 guests for me to mail invites to.
She asked if I wanted to be reimbursed for postage and I told her no, I just want her to have my biggest show (sales) ever!I like to mail the invitations. By doing that I know how many people were really invited. I also thinks it makes is easier on the host and if she thinks it's easy I hope she tells all her friends so that they'll host with me. I use the PC postcards. PC pays people to make it easy and I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

I had my first show with ME doing the invites. I created a great color invite printed 24 copies at kinkos (*cost ME $11). Guess how many showed? Only 3 guests and her mother in law who is already there that baby sits.

The only thing I am really excited about was ONE booking and the booking potientally might want to be a consultant. Which is great since I am looking for new recruits. :)

I started mailing the invites this past October and since then have had a $1000 show every month - a couple of times I've had 2 $1000 shows in a month! Prior to doing this I had only had one $1000 show in a year. I highly reccomend doing this - or at least giving it a 3 month trial run.

Last edited:
Does it look impersonal to use labels? I have thought about using mailing labels for the addresses, but then I considered using them for the show info too--just stick it over that section. What do you think?

chelynn said:
Does it look impersonal to use labels? I have thought about using mailing labels for the addresses, but then I considered using them for the show info too--just stick it over that section. What do you think?

I use labels for the show info - or I use a template for PC postcards....but I always hand address the cards - looks more personal that way, I think.

Since I first posted this question, I've had three people from different shows comment on my invites. All comments were incredibly favorable, one saying that it was by far the most compelling invite she'd ever received for any home party type thing. So, I guess I'll keep doing it.

The other thing I've heard though ... I working with a bride who was telling me about the wedding invitations they are sending. They are four fold - and sealed with a seal - a LOT like the tri-fold invites I mail, only mine has one less fold. She was told by the place she ordered them from that they are mailed at postcard rates! Well, if they are, my invites sure should be! I'll be taking a trip to the post office on Monday to check this out. That would save me almost 50% of my postage costs! I'll let you all know what I find out ...

If you check the USPS guidelines, anything that's folded CANNOT be sent postcard rate. Only flat cards are eligible for that rate. And if the card is too big, it also doesn't qualify for postcard rate.

I use labels for both the host and guest information.
I too have been having at least 1 $1,000 show a month and it is usually the one I mailed the invites for.

chefann said:
If you check the USPS guidelines, anything that's folded CANNOT be sent postcard rate. Only flat cards are eligible for that rate. And if the card is too big, it also doesn't qualify for postcard rate.

That's what I thought, Ann, so I've been putting $.41 stamps on them. I'm anxious to find out what exactly the bride was told. I suspect it had to do with the reply cards - they tear off the invitation and THEY could be returned at postcard rate.

Sandy,

I would be really interested in seeing one of your invitations....is this something you could attach as a file?

I'd be happy to, Becky, but it will be tomorrow. I'm reply right now because I want this to kick up again in New Posts next time I log in ... :D

Here is the invite I use. I change up the artwork and sometimes the bullet points of the left side of the first page to fit the show. On the second page, even though that far left panel is orientated down the side of the page, if you highlight the wording you can change it.

I make three passes through my printer - print one side, print the other, then the third is a mail merge and I print the address in that blank panel on page three. I use the host's info for the return address.

I print these on 24 lb parchment like colored paper.

May, everything was pink, because all shows were Help Whip Cancer shows. I change the color of the background of the headers depending on what is going on. And, I have a cute photo of 4 girls holding hands, jumping into a pool. I use that one when I don't have a photo of the food ...

This invite started out as the Help Whip Cancer invites that Alison did. When I need a jump start on a new idea, she's my go-to gal. THANKS, ALISON!!

Attachments

• BBQ Pork Tenderloin Invite.doc
    622.5 KB · Views: 341
InvitationsI mail them myself after the host sends me the guest list. This way I know they were sent, but more importantly, I now have all these cotacts. If only half show up, I can call the ones who didn't and offer a show to them or ask if they wanted anything before I close the show. I have gotten bookings doing this. And I write-off the cost of the postcard stamps.

I mail the invites unless the host insists. As far as the food, I give them the option. If I buy it, I can write it off.

I do the shopping for the food and get reimbursed the night of the show.

LisaVH said:

What in the world would you make to feed all those people? I get nervous when the guest list gets to 16 because I'm afraid people will sit through the whole demo and not get any food at the end!

1. Do you mail the invitations for your host?

At Pampered Chef, we believe it is the responsibility of the host to mail the invitations to their guests. This allows them to personalize the invitations and ensure that they reach the intended recipients.

2. Why have you chosen this method?

We have found that having the host mail the invitations is more effective in getting guests to attend the party. When the invitations come from a friend or family member, it adds a personal touch and makes the guests more likely to RSVP and attend.

3. Have you tried both ways and found one more effective than the other?

Yes, we have tried both methods and have found that having the host mail the invitations leads to a higher attendance rate. When we mailed the invitations ourselves, we noticed that some guests did not receive them or thought they were junk mail.

4. Do you use the postcards from TPC? If not, what do you use?

No, we do not use the postcards from TPC. We encourage our hosts to create their own personalized invitations using our online invitation tool. This allows them to add their own touch and include all the necessary information for the party.

5. Have you calculated the cost of sending invitations?

Yes, we have calculated the cost of sending invitations and have found that having the host mail them is more cost-effective for both the host and Pampered Chef. It also allows us to focus our resources on providing high-quality products and services for our customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Becca_in_MD
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lmradlein
  • EdraJayne
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefBeckyD