• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

White Chicken Chili - Is It Supposed to Be This Spicy?

In summary, the author made this chili for the first time and it was super spicy. They could never do this at a show because it is too spicy. They substituted green peppers or used a milder salsa. Next time, they will use less of a spicy seasoning mix. The spiciness of the salsa will make a big difference.
turtle15
I made this chili tonight for the first time and it is SUPER spicy. I bought the peppers the grocer told me were poblano. I did not expect for it to be this hot. I could never do this at a show. Is it supposed to be spicy? Any substitution ideas?

I remember it being really spicy to me but I am super sensitive to hot food.

I think I had cut the amount of called-for pepper in half or maybe even a third, because I knew my kids wouldn't want it too spicy. It still had a kick, but was good.

you can sub green peppers or even do 1 poblano and 1 green

I use the green chili peppers - those are mild, but still full of flavor. In fact, when I've made it at home before I've just used a small can of chili peppers.

I made it and didn't use the poblano pepper, just a regular green pepper, and it was still super spicy because of the Southwestern Seasoning Mix. Next time I make it, I'll only use 1/2 of what is called for of the mix. Even my Father-in-Law made a comment about how spicy it was, and he loves spicy food!!

PC seems to be a little heavy on the spice in a lot of recipes -- this one and the Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake. I usually cut back on the peppers and some of the seasoning/rub.

Now that I think about it- I think I did also cut the SW spice mix in half too. ANytime there are spices like that and I'm making it for my family- I always start out cutting it in half. PC's rubs and sauces do tend to have quite the kick anyway! Add in spicy peppers and salsa, etc...yeah...Prevacid would be calling my name by dessert!

Thanks for all the tips! I agree, they do seem to go heavy on some of the spices. I will definitely try to substitute the peppers the next time I make it.

The spiciness of the salsa will make a big difference, too. I like the Meijer Gold (store brand). There's another brand, I think it's Victoria, that's a LOT hotter and makes the chili almost inedible. (IMO)

I started a thread in Oct. 2008 about this, too. :) You should read through it, it's listed down below here...4th one down.

I love how spicy it is! :D

I think the salsa verde you use matters more than anything. Choose a mild one.

You can also substitute the green salsa for a mild green enchilada sauce. I usually only use 1/2 to 1 poblano. You have all the yummy flavors without the intensity.

babywings76 said:
I started a thread in Oct. 2008 about this, too. :) You should read through it, it's listed down below here...4th one down.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I figured I could not have been the only one.

Ha Ha you are all wimps come to Texas
we add a habenero to ours

1. Why is my white chicken chili so spicy?

White chicken chili is supposed to have a bit of heat, but if it is too spicy for your taste, you may have added too much chili powder or hot sauce. You can try adding more broth or cream to mellow out the spice.

2. Can I make white chicken chili less spicy?

Yes, you can make white chicken chili less spicy by adjusting the amount of chili powder or hot sauce you use. You can also add more broth or cream to dilute the spice level.

3. Is white chicken chili supposed to be mild or spicy?

White chicken chili can vary in spice level depending on the recipe and personal preference. Some recipes are meant to be milder, while others are meant to have a bit of heat. It is important to taste and adjust the spice level to your liking.

4. What can I do if my white chicken chili is too spicy?

If your white chicken chili is too spicy, you can try adding more broth or cream to dilute the spice. You can also try adding some acid, such as lime or lemon juice, to balance out the spice.

5. Can I use less chili powder in white chicken chili?

Yes, you can use less chili powder in white chicken chili if you prefer a milder flavor. You can also try using a combination of chili powder and other spices, such as cumin or paprika, to add flavor without increasing the spice level too much.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SonyaVerrillo
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • AmaraJ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
AmaraJ
Replies