1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Beer Subsitute for Buffalo Chkn Chili?

1. SonyaVerrillo

SonyaVerrillo Novice Member

I really want to make the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Chili in the new Soups, Stews & Chilis Ckbk, but do not keep ANY beer on hand, and really don't want to buy any for the chili. It calls for 1 bottle of Lager Beer. Any ideas on substitute(s)? It already calls for 2 cups of chicken stock.

In reading the recipe, you add oil, celery, onion & pressed garlic into the stockpot, add the beer and simmer 4-6 minutes until the beer is reduced by half. (if that helps to decide what would be a suitable substitute.

Thanks for your help!

2. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Advanced Member

Is is that you don't want the alcohol or that you don't want to buy alcohol (I can understand either reason). If it is avoiding alcohol, it will cook off.

One idea is non-alcoholic beer, though if you don't want to support the industry, it is usually beer makers that make it.

The only other thing I can think of is to just use water or water and extra onions. I looked on Yahoo answers, and no one had any real ideas. On person suggested Sprite, another person said use water, just add a little vinegar.

Nothing tastes like beer; I'll be interested to see what others say.

Oct 9, 2010
  3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

The beer gives it a depth and a sweetness - so I'd add beef broth with some worchestershire sauce, and a little sweetener - maybe brown sugar, or maple syrup.

(I hate beer - can't stand the smell of it, and I can taste it even if it supposedly cooks off...)

I did get a call one time from someone asking me what to substitute for the wine in Beef Burgundy. (Boeuf Bourguignon) :eek::confused: I told them to substitute a different recipe, because what they were about to make could not be called Beef Burgundy.

Oct 9, 2010
  4. deanna_g

deanna_g Member

There is nothing that tastes like beer that you can substitute. If you don't want to buy the beer, you'll have to find a different recipe.

In beer bread, you can substitute any carbonated beverage for beer, but it alters the yeasty taste of the bread.

Oct 10, 2010
Have something to add?