• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's the Best Way to Back Up Your Data Using a Thumb Drive?

In summary, Linda uses a flash drive and a cd to make her back ups, Beth uses an external hard drive, and I use a memory stick.
babywings76
Gold Member
What method do you use to make your back-ups?

I back them up to a thumb drive...

I back up to my hard drive and then once a month I back up to a thumb drive.

Then every so often my DH backs my computer up to the desktop.

I back-up to a cd & a thumb drive and I keep my last 5 back-ups.....I'm a little paranoid about losing my info, can ya tell?

I don't know what a thumb drive is. How much room does the program take up on a CD? How big should it be? Do you use a Rewritable (sp?) one?

I just got an external hard drive for this. It had software with it that does my backups weekly.

Back ups take very little space. Yes, you can use a CD-RW, but a flash drive is my weapon of choice.

Not quite as paranoid as Linda, I keep 2, in case one gets corrupted. I also would suggest keeping one in a VERY safe place (a firesafe box, etc).

Thumb drives and flash drives are the same. Unless you have thousands of shows, you will be fine with a 1gb flash drive ($9.99 on sale). The program puts it into a "zip" file which makes it smaller that it would normally be -- kind of like a "mini-me".

One very important thing with Flash Drives, though, make sure that you close all the programs and if you are using Windows, click on the "safely remove hardware" icon on the bottom taskbar before removing it from your computer. This will ensure that everything is closed and you are not pulling it out in the middle of saving something (which will make it unusable).

jwpamp said:
Back ups take very little space. Yes, you can use a CD-RW, but a flash drive is my weapon of choice.

Not quite as paranoid as Linda, I keep 2, in case one gets corrupted. I also would suggest keeping one in a VERY safe place (a firesafe box, etc).

Thumb drives and flash drives are the same. Unless you have thousands of shows, you will be fine with a 1gb flash drive ($9.99 on sale). The program puts it into a "zip" file which makes it smaller that it would normally be -- kind of like a "mini-me".

One very important thing with Flash Drives, though, make sure that you close all the programs and if you are using Windows, click on the "safely remove hardware" icon on the bottom taskbar before removing it from your computer. This will ensure that everything is closed and you are not pulling it out in the middle of saving something (which will make it unusable).

:eek: I've never done that. Where is that icon?? I don't see it - don't know where to look.

I use an external hard drive.

BethCooks4U said:
:eek: I've never done that. Where is that icon?? I don't see it - don't know where to look.

If you have it, you should see it pop up on the lower right hand corner of the screen in the blue taskbar (bottom of the screen). If you don't see one, make sure that you have completed all work and have closed the Flash Drive's window before removing it.

During the last week of May, we had a power surge that hit my power supply and mother board. I am SO thankful that I had a current back up of my PC Stuff. However, I did not have backups of my WORD files and had to pay dearly to get those retrieved. BACK UP ... OFTEN... sometimes when you are busy in PP3 do it daily. I cannot urge you stronly enough. And Beth... I have multiple backups as well since I've had a flash drive and cd's get corrupted. It's worth the peace of mind to do a few different types. I know now never to trust my hard drive as a source of backup. Since you all mentioned this... I'm backing up right now! :)

I back up on a flash drive once a week.

I use a memory stick---not sure if thats the same as a thumb drive....LOL

I back up to my C drive every day and onto my flash drive every few days. I also have an external harddrive that we back things up onto a few times a year. I need to get in the habit of backing up to that thing more frequently - I just haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

I, too, use a thumb drive for P3. May I ask a really embarassing question? How does one back up Word without having to back up each individual doc or folder?

Hmmm....I have one LARGE folder call "Pampered Chef" in which there are MANY subfolders (probably 50 or so). When I back that up, I just back up the whole MAIN folder "Pampered Chef".

It's large, uses the whole 4gb Flash Drive, and I only do that once a month.

thumb drive = flash drive = usb drive = usb key = memory stick = usb memory stick
There are about a million names for them. It's a small device that plugs into the USB port on your computer (the rectangular port) and stores data.

Related to What's the Best Way to Back Up Your Data Using a Thumb Drive?

1. How often should I back up my data?

It is recommended to back up your data at least once a week. If you have important data that changes frequently, it is best to back it up daily.

2. Can I back up my data to an external hard drive?

Yes, you can back up your data to an external hard drive. This is a popular option for many people as it allows for easy storage and portability of the backup files.

3. Do I need to purchase any special software for backing up my data?

No, you do not need to purchase any special software for backing up your data. Most operating systems have built-in backup tools that you can use, or you can use a free third-party backup software.

4. What is the best way to store my backup files?

The best way to store your backup files is in a secure and separate location from your computer. This can be an external hard drive, cloud storage, or even a physical location such as a safety deposit box.

5. Can I schedule automatic backups?

Yes, you can schedule automatic backups using backup software or the built-in backup tools on your computer. This will ensure that your data is backed up regularly without you having to manually do it each time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefheidi2003
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
BlueMoon
  • Trish1953
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • CyndiWilliams