1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: What would you prefer for a wedding gift - cash or a savings bond?

1. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

I'm invited to my friend's daughter's wedding at the end of the month. I am torn between a check (can use right now) and a savings bond. I thought the savings bond would be a fun idea, because so many people put them away and discover them years later - it could trigger some nice memories down the road.

Then again, cash might be more useful now for a young couple.

What do you think?

Jun 1, 2009
  2. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Cash for sure. Savings bonds are not very good investments and we always cash ours out as soon as we can.

Jun 1, 2009
  3. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

cash . If they want to invest, it gives them the option to choose where/how.

Jun 1, 2009
  4. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

Cash. We actually ended up using some of the cash we received the night of the wedding because we didn't plan well enough :D We were VERY thankful!

Jun 1, 2009
  5. chefshawna

chefshawna Advanced Member Gold Member

I'm for the cash also!

Jun 1, 2009
  6. WLMcCoy

WLMcCoy Advanced Member

I vote cash, too. :)

Jun 1, 2009
  7. chefsteph07

chefsteph07 Legacy Member

CASH. While DH and I were planning our wedding, we spent every last dime we had on it, had NO extra money at all left over. We had reserved a week at the Poconos for a honeymoon, but it was DEPENDENT on how much money we got for our wedding! We spent our wedding night going through all the envelopes and counting the cash we had! SO THANKFUL that our guests were so very generous that we were able to take our wonderful honeymoon...good thing too, I had my dd 9 mo after that and we haven't been on a trip alone since then! LOL

Jun 1, 2009
  8. nikked

nikked Senior Member Gold Member

Okay...cash is nice, but a savings bond is a nice way to start just that...savings...

You could do a cute note about putting something way for a get away to stave off the seven year itch (I think they're redeemable after 7 years...but I'm not sure)...I think it's a good idea...

As far as whether or not they're a good investment, I don't know. I'm not commenting on that, just the idea.

Jun 1, 2009
  9. pampchefrhondab

pampchefrhondab Senior Member

Cash for me, but either would be nice:)!

10. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

Cash - when we got married it really helped with the honeymoon expenses and getting settled.

Jun 1, 2009
  11. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

OK, cash it is! Thanks so much for the responses.

ChefSteph07 - that must have been one FUN honeymoon - DD arrived 9 months later - tee hee hee

Jun 1, 2009
  12. chefsteph07

chefsteph07 Legacy Member

Yeah, well, you know...*snickers*

Jun 1, 2009
  13. EpTxGuy

EpTxGuy Member

I vote for a pampered chef gift certificate.

Jun 1, 2009
Have something to add?