• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What would you do?

spoiledchef

Member
Jan 8, 2006
386
0
Okay, at my show tonight, I was able to get four bookings (only 5 guests in attendance and one was a double booking, June & September). Well, two of the ladies that booked with me told me they had booked with another consultant BUT that consultant didn't give them any information and HASN'T contacted them since. They were both at the same party about a month or so ago.

Well, as we were going through the show, they started talking about how I was different from this lady, and they were enjoying my show a LOT more. And -- they were wanting to book with me instead. So, I told them it was totally acceptable b/c they, as a PC customer, have the right to choose WHO they want to come in and do their show. If they don't think they "click" with a consultant, then by all means, don't use her.

So, I basically stole two bookings from someone. But -- I think it's her own fault for not following up with them. What do you all think? Should I feel guilty or should I feel proud that they prefer my style and me over her?
 
P

Pampered Laura

Guest
Both. :)
Personally, I would have taken their contact info, and given them mine. Then I would have asked that they consider it and call me if they had made a decision to cancel their previous arrangement.
I just think it's tacky to "steal" a customer or hostess, if your *gut* is telling you that it's rude/tacky, it probably is.
But I do agree with you that it's the customer's decision to make, so if they consider it, cancel with the other consultant and then book with you, it's their choice to make. :)
 

its_me_susan

Senior Member
Jul 31, 2005
2,053
10
spoiledchef said:
Okay, at my show tonight, I was able to get four bookings (only 5 guests in attendance and one was a double booking, June & September). Well, two of the ladies that booked with me told me they had booked with another consultant BUT that consultant didn't give them any information and HASN'T contacted them since. They were both at the same party about a month or so ago.

Well, as we were going through the show, they started talking about how I was different from this lady, and they were enjoying my show a LOT more. And -- they were wanting to book with me instead. So, I told them it was totally acceptable b/c they, as a PC customer, have the right to choose WHO they want to come in and do their show. If they don't think they "click" with a consultant, then by all means, don't use her.

So, I basically stole two bookings from someone. But -- I think it's her own fault for not following up with them. What do you all think? Should I feel guilty or should I feel proud that they prefer my style and me over her?

Do you know when their shows were booked for? I know I don't "confirm" with a booked guest until about a month before the date to confirm. I don't think I would have booked them... I think I would have had them call me *if* they cancelled their party? I would hate if someone did that to me. I know you were not out there to steal the hosts. Congrats on doing such an interesting job.
 

spoiledchef

Member
Jan 8, 2006
386
0
its_me_susan said:
Do you know when their shows were booked for? I know I don't "confirm" with a booked guest until about a month before the date to confirm. I don't think I would have booked them... I think I would have had them call me *if* they cancelled their party? I would hate if someone did that to me. I know you were not out there to steal the hosts. Congrats on doing such an interesting job.

I don't know when their shows were booked for. But -- I do know that the consultant didn't give them ANYTHING with her information on it. They didn't even remember her name. In all honesty, they weren't and didn't seem committed to the other consultant. They told me about all of this BEFORE they booked with me. I made sure I told them numerous times that they didn't have to book with me b/c they had already booked with this other consultant. I told them that it was their choice, and I would be fine either way. They had a blast at the show with me though, so they wanted to book with me anyway. So, I wasn't going to turn down the booking.

Granted, I wouldn't want it done to me BUT I would consider it my own fault for not following through or at LEAST making sure they knew my name.

I guess we can all learn from this that we NEED to make sure our customers KNOW who we are for future reference. That's what I learned anyway.
 
Feb 22, 2006
23
0
Sherrie,

Your post had me calling one of my future hosts just to touch base and see how she was doing. She booked a show at another show last week, and your post made me realize that I should touch base, even though her show isn't until the end of next month. She was still really excited about, so the phone call was easy.

If a customer had more fun at your show, and they don't even know the other consultant's name, I don't think you should feel too bad. The other consultant didn't put alot of effort into those girls, so it really was her own fault!
 
May 2, 2005
22
0
if they truly wanted to get a hold of that consultant they could contact the host of the show they went to. but business is business, as long as you're not stealing. i agree the ladies should definately cancel their show with the other consultant, if they ordered anything from that show they should have a receipt with her info on it too. but once it's cancelled, they're yours.
 

DebbieSAChef

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2006
2,153
0
Don't drop the ball!

I say if someone drops the ball, you should be right there to pick it up. No matter if my hosts book three or four months in advance I send them info every month preparing them with a postcard that has my info on it. I call about a month before to double check on everything, and to make sure that they aren't backing out on me. I haven't had that problem. I have taken the advice of a very good Director, let them put their name in your calendar themselves and what time is good for them.
Then it sort of makes it sealed or somthing. They feel obligated to keep that date. It works for me.
WE must always remember that this is a business and if someone is excited about doing a show we must keep them excited and remind them that their big day is coming. This way they will be prepared and ready to go.
DEBBIE
 

pampered1224

Legacy Member
Silver Member
Apr 13, 2004
3,784
40
One thing to remember for the host of the other show

If the ladies do decide they are hosting with you and not with the other consultant, one or both of those ladies needs to contact the host of the other show they actually did book from that consultant.
Here's why.
Once a guest has booked, they are booked. Meaning the home office will recognize them as a potential host from the original show. This means that the host from that show can get the Monthly Host Bonus even if the show is NOT held by the same consultant. So, those two ladies need to check with her before you actually book them on that show from last night. It is, in this case not important to honor the consultant but you MUST honor the original host. Do not take away something from her because of the consultant. She has two host bonuses coming from the shows of those two ladies. Whether the shows are with the original consultant or with you.

(I would really suggest that you book only one from last night so both hosts get a choice of a bonus product. Then neither one will loose out.)

Then for the host of the show you did not consult, you would simply place her order just like you would with any other past host. Do a host lookup from Consultant Corner and get her PHD number and put her in your contact list. Then when she orders her earned host bonus, you already have the info.

As for the other consultant, tough luck I say. Apparently they were not worth the trouble of a follow up of any kind so she apparently had no interest in doing shows for them.
Like I always say, "You snooze, you loose!"
 

DebbieJ

Legend Member
Oct 6, 2005
10,895
2
Whenever someone books with me, I always warn them that they will not hear from me for a little while but I will get in touch with them about a month before their show to start making plans. If they booked their show at another show, they immediately get a hosting packet so I don't have to mail it. I've never had a problem of anyone forgetting or thinking I forgot about them.
 

GeorgiaPeach

Veteran Member
Silver Member
Jan 22, 2005
1,371
1
Devil's Advocate

spoiledchef said:
Okay, at my show tonight, I was able to get four bookings (only 5 guests in attendance and one was a double booking, June & September). Well, two of the ladies that booked with me told me they had booked with another consultant BUT that consultant didn't give them any information and HASN'T contacted them since. They were both at the same party about a month or so ago.

Well, as we were going through the show, they started talking about how I was different from this lady, and they were enjoying my show a LOT more. And -- they were wanting to book with me instead. So, I told them it was totally acceptable b/c they, as a PC customer, have the right to choose WHO they want to come in and do their show. If they don't think they "click" with a consultant, then by all means, don't use her.

So, I basically stole two bookings from someone. But -- I think it's her own fault for not following up with them. What do you all think? Should I feel guilty or should I feel proud that they prefer my style and me over her?

Okay...let me play devil's advocate...there are always two sides to a story...we shouldn't judge the other consultant because we don't know what is going on in her life. If the shows were booked out in advance, she might not have followed up with them yet (as a lot of the posters above have said). If the shows were booked last month (fall season) for spring, the consultant might not have had the new catalogs and that is why she didn't give them packets. As for not having any way to contact the other consultant or even knowing her name....don't we all put our name and number on receipts? Isn't it also on the packing slip? I totally agree that some consultants and guests/hosts just click but if it were me, I'd encourage the potential host to contact the other consultant to see what's going on. And to at least have the courtesy of letting the consultant know that she lost two future shows. I think it's alot like signing a new recruit that someone else has already "primed"...what goes around, comes around and we need to be really careful about taking business from other consultants. That said....I'm going back through my bookings tonight...I live just up the road from you!! :)
 

spoiledchef

Member
Jan 8, 2006
386
0
GeorgiaPeach said:
Okay...let me play devil's advocate...there are always two sides to a story...we shouldn't judge the other consultant because we don't know what is going on in her life. If the shows were booked out in advance, she might not have followed up with them yet (as a lot of the posters above have said). If the shows were booked last month (fall season) for spring, the consultant might not have had the new catalogs and that is why she didn't give them packets. As for not having any way to contact the other consultant or even knowing her name....don't we all put our name and number on receipts? Isn't it also on the packing slip? I totally agree that some consultants and guests/hosts just click but if it were me, I'd encourage the potential host to contact the other consultant to see what's going on. And to at least have the courtesy of letting the consultant know that she lost two future shows. I think it's alot like signing a new recruit that someone else has already "primed"...what goes around, comes around and we need to be really careful about taking business from other consultants. That said....I'm going back through my bookings tonight...I live just up the road from you!! :)

You are right, and I take everything everyone is saying to heart. I did offer to get them the contact info for this consultant...we played a guessing game and "think" we figured out what her name is. And -- as far as contact info, they wouldn't have a receipt if they didn't order, and I don't have all that information as I wasn't at the show they booked from.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think this is a BIG wake-up call to all of us regarding our potential hosts. We need to be sure we stay in contact with them, EVEN if their show is months away. I didn't have a packet with me last night, but you better believe, they received an email first thing this morning as a reminder of their booked show. They will also receive a formal thank-you in the mail next week.

All of that said, I can't speak for why they booked with me over this other consultant other than from what they shared with me. They enjoyed my show better, and I think the prizes really sparked their interest as well. So, I learned from that as well.

All said and done, I LEARNED a lot from this group of ladies last night. :)
 
Top