• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is the Ice Cube Thing W/ the Saute Pan?

does it have a warranty?Stainless cookware does not have a warranty, but they do offer a two-year warranty.
lilscrapmama
I want to mention this, do this tonight...what is it again, just pass the pan around w/ the ice cube in it, whats the point again :) SORRY im sooooooooo tired & i remember reading it a long time ago

You put the ice cube in the pan so that you can pass it around and show how the bottom of the pan and the sides are the same temperature, you wounldn't want to pass around a hot pan..but it shows the effectiveness of the thick bottom for even heat distribution and thin sidewalls for faster heat transfer so soups, sauces etc. heat evenly....do you know the rice krispy treat demo? that is another good one to show how non-stick the cookware is and how easy it is to clean. Good luck at your show!

My recruiter did that at the show I hosted for her and she ended getting three orders of cookware (various pieces, not an entire set). I really like that demo....go for it!

Could you expand on the rice krispy demo? never heard of that one! :) Anything to help me sell the cookware. So far I've only sold 2 8" saute pans! And those I didn't really sell, they already knew they wanted them!!!
TIA - Deb

Every time I do the ice cube demo my guests are amazed! It just melts the ice before their eyes!! Love it!!

This is how I do the ice demo: I ask the hostto get two cubes. I put one in a pot or bowl and the other in a piece of our cookware. I pass it around and talk about it. The the time it reaches the last person, its melted. I then show the guests that the cube in the PC pan is melted and the other one is still pretty solid.

I just don't get why that's significant. I tried it in a regular pan and my PC one and didn't see a big difference, and even if I did, not clear on what that signifies. anyone?

4kids4me said:
I just don't get why that's significant. I tried it in a regular pan and my PC one and didn't see a big difference, and even if I did, not clear on what that signifies. anyone?

You need to pass around the pan, so they can feel how the sides of the pan VERY QUICKLY are the same temp as the bottom of the pan - this is to show that because of the thicker bottom/thinner sides technology of the pan, it heats very quickly and evenly, so you don't have hot spots, or food won't be burned in the middle but still raw around the edges of the pan.

ChefBeckyD said:
You need to pass around the pan, so they can feel how the sides of the pan VERY QUICKLY are the same temp as the bottom of the pan - this is to show that because of the thicker bottom/thinner sides technology of the pan, it heats very quickly and evenly, so you don't have hot spots, or food won't be burned in the middle but still raw around the edges of the pan.
Exactly!!!

didn't know that! what is the rice krispie thing?

boy that would have been helpful last night! thats awesome, thats something good to do at a no demo when i talk about the cookware .. i'll have to try that though!

yeah, whats the rice krispie thing?

thx for explaining it to me - I'm adding this to my next show!

Ya, who's gonna tell us about the rice krispy thing? I'm dying to hear this!!!

Take a cup of rice crispys
cup marshmellows
1/4 tsp butter.

cook it in the saute pan on top of a burner. Then show how easy it is to clean up. I think that is it. HTH

I read this thread and decided to do some experimenting of my own. I took the 1.5 Qt saucepan that is available on the supply order and one of my stainless/waterless cookware sauce pans of the same size. I put one icecube in each saucepan and placed each pot in one of my hands (palms up holding the base/bottom). The PC pot melted the icecube way quicker than the other. Next I placed one cup of water in each pot (used the measure all cup :>). Placed each saucepan on same sized gas burners and tested to see which one boiled quicker. The PC pot was at a rolling boil in 5 minutes -- 25 minutes later I had to stop the test because the bottom of the pan was exposed in both saucepans (The stainless one had bubbles but was nowhere near a rolling boil.)

This stainless cookware is the type that you see demonstrated at fairs -- it is expensive (more expensive than PC -- if I remember correctly). As I stood there "watching the water boil" I wanted the entire PC collection of cookware very badly. (I wanted it all before the test -- but now I am very nearly lusting after it.) I have the saute pan, the square griddle, the 1.5 Qt saucepan -- the 12 inch skillet is on order (Kit Builder month :>). If May is my super starter kit builder month (I'm calling on Monday to find out) -- I just have to order one of the cookware sets.

I know I am digressing -- but if this "melt an icecube/boil a cup of water" test can create this type of cookware desire in me than MAYBE there might be someone at a cooking show that could "deeply desire" the cookware after the same experience.

That's really cool! I did a show this month and ended up selling just over $400, so we got the cookware for 1/2 off. I can hardly wait now!! :D Thx for sharing your experiment!

I think I'd like to try the boiling water experiment on mine, too. I think that would be very effective example of how great our cookware is.***I just got the 12" skillett and the 1.5 quart today, and the five piece set is going to be delivered on Tuesday. I am SOOOO excited to finally have more than just the 8" sautee pan!

4kids4me said:

I thought the same thing and tried it at home with two different pans (1 was pc)I didn't see a great big difference except that the Pampered Chef pan did melt first.

I tried it at a show, the ice cube was about 1/3 melted and when I gave it to the first person to see, she said the pan felt like it came out of the refrigerator. I had just explained that heat is distributed throughout the pan, and I would like to show them with a ice cube because we wouldn't be able to pass around a hot pan. They were impressed.

Does anyone know what makes it melt the ice cube so fast? Seems like I remember antother thread that talked about using our cookware to set food in to defrost it quicker, but I can't remember the reason why this works.

nickywsn said:
Does anyone know what makes it melt the ice cube so fast? Seems like I remember antother thread that talked about using our cookware to set food in to defrost it quicker, but I can't remember the reason why this works.

I thought it was the Titanium alloy in it. The same thing that ensures even heat distribution also distributes cold the same way. I'm sure there's a much more "professional" way to say it though. :p

I have to tell my story about this. This happened a few years ago, sorry, but it is a very long story.......

My husband has a 6 car shop in our back yard to weld, work on cars, sandblast, horse around, you get the idea... oh yeah and to start a business. Well of course, he has to have the BEST tools:rolleyes: , you know like a $38 dollar screwdriver, $75 dollar wrench, $10 sheet of sandpaper and of course it has to be SNAP-ON (brother-in-law sold for awhile), or MAC tools. He can make do with Craftsman, but sometimes they break and bust your knuckles.

I kept asking (meant to be sarcastic MOST times) when he is done buying tools, can I buy $2 dishtowels, I need some new ones.

I had just had a catalog show for my cousin, and had received my orders and was completely done with it. UPS shows up at my door with 3 more big boxes of Pampered Chef. I tell him he had the wrong house but when I looked at the labels, they had my husbands name on them. :confused: .

My husband said "well, open them". I did and it was a complete set of Professional cookware:D .

I asked why he bought it. He said, it was my birthday and besides, I had asked for them :eek: WHAT??, I didn't ask for these and besides they are so expensive!! I could have picked out HUNDREDS of things out of that catalog for THAT price !!:mad: Thank goodness, I didn't yell at him.

He then said "You made a great point and I thought you deserved them!"

I asked him "What point did I make? ":confused:

He said to me "You are in the kitchen EVERY day making dinner for our family, and you deserved great tools to work with, like I have, not junk !!"

I even mentioned returning them, (what a dumb idea on my part). He told me no way, I deserved good tools to work with, he has good tools, and I don't complain about him having good tools. (yeah, I guess intent didn't count that week!:rolleyes: )

I didn't even want to get them out of the box (cost too much and we really couldn't afford them). He had tried to add them to my catalog show, but missed it by 3 days. So he had his own show, just by buying the complete set and got some things for free!!

Two weeks after getting this set, I was washing dishes, and I placed my 3 qt. pan over the dishes to dry and as I did, I heard this horrible noise :mad:. I had just scratched my new pan on a pair of metals tongs and heard it scratch what ended up being a 3" scratch. :eek:

This happened two years ago, and there is no flaking, metal showing, sticking , or any other problems where it got scratched. You can see it, but you have to look for it. It only scratched the top layer. I was totally sold on this cookware. It is still as non-stick today as it was the first day I got it. My other stuff stuck so bad, just about everything had to soak to clean up. Several times for stuff like scrambled eggs, baked beans, and I hated cooking oatmeal, and cream of wheat in my old pans. Comes right out with these pans.

Oh and I signed up to be a consultant about a year later, (under my cousin, of course)!!!
And yes, I did get new dishcloths, I was able to snag a few lilac and artichoke microfiber ones !!!

I guess I could have made this shorter by saying " I scratched my pan 2 years ago and it is still non-stick". Sorry :rolleyes:

genburk said:
I have to tell my story about this. This happened a few years ago, sorry, but it is a very long story.......

My husband has a 6 car shop in our back yard to weld, work on cars, sandblast, horse around, you get the idea... oh yeah and to start a business. Well of course, he has to have the BEST tools:rolleyes: , you know like a $38 dollar screwdriver, $75 dollar wrench, $10 sheet of sandpaper and of course it has to be SNAP-ON (brother-in-law sold for awhile), or MAC tools. He can make do with Craftsman, but sometimes they break and bust your knuckles.

I kept asking (meant to be sarcastic MOST times) when he is done buying tools, can I buy $2 dishtowels, I need some new ones.

I had just had a catalog show for my cousin, and had received my orders and was completely done with it. UPS shows up at my door with 3 more big boxes of Pampered Chef. I tell him he had the wrong house but when I looked at the labels, they had my husbands name on them. :confused: .

My husband said "well, open them". I did and it was a complete set of Professional cookware:D .

I asked why he bought it. He said, it was my birthday and besides, I had asked for them :eek: WHAT??, I didn't ask for these and besides they are so expensive!! I could have picked out HUNDREDS of things out of that catalog for THAT price !!:mad: Thank goodness, I didn't yell at him.

He then said "You made a great point and I thought you deserved them!"

I asked him "What point did I make? ":confused:

He said to me "You are in the kitchen EVERY day making dinner for our family, and you deserved great tools to work with, like I have, not junk !!"

I even mentioned returning them, (what a dumb idea on my part). He told me no way, I deserved good tools to work with, he has good tools, and I don't complain about him having good tools. (yeah, I guess intent didn't count that week!:rolleyes: )

I didn't even want to get them out of the box (cost too much and we really couldn't afford them). He had tried to add them to my catalog show, but missed it by 3 days. So he had his own show, just by buying the complete set and got some things for free!!

Two weeks after getting this set, I was washing dishes, and I placed my 3 qt. pan over the dishes to dry and as I did, I heard this horrible noise :mad:. I had just scratched my new pan on a pair of metals tongs and heard it scratch what ended up being a 3" scratch. :eek:

This happened two years ago, and there is no flaking, metal showing, sticking , or any other problems where it got scratched. You can see it, but you have to look for it. It only scratched the top layer. I was totally sold on this cookware. It is still as non-stick today as it was the first day I got it. My other stuff stuck so bad, just about everything had to soak to clean up. Several times for stuff like scrambled eggs, baked beans, and I hated cooking oatmeal, and cream of wheat in my old pans. Comes right out with these pans.

Oh and I signed up to be a consultant about a year later, (under my cousin, of course)!!!
And yes, I did get new dishcloths, I was able to snag a few lilac and artichoke microfiber ones !!!

I guess I could have made this shorter by saying " I scratched my pan 2 years ago and it is still non-stick". Sorry :rolleyes:

LOL! That was a great story though!!!!

Thanks -

I was going to just say thanks, but you have to have at least 10 characters in a post.

That story is great! It is so true though, men don't care what the spend on the tools they "NEED" and we as women probably use our kitchen stuff 100x's more then the tools they buy but we don't want to spend the $$! I have the 7 piece set, (2)12" skillets (earned one free!) 8" saute pan (2) and they are THE BEST!!!! My husband likes and uses them too!

Also, I always tell people, because of our lifetime guarantee, that this is the last set of cookware you'll have to buy in your life.

PamperedChefDebi said:
Every time I do the ice cube demo my guests are amazed! It just melts the ice before their eyes!! Love it!!

Be sure to put a second ice cube in a clear container (easy read measuring cup or small batter bowl) to leave on your demo table to refer to, "look this one is still mostly unmelted" - - seeing the comparison is effective!

That all said, does anyone else have trouble answering the nonstick dangerous fumes question? Or remembering the product details? Just won't stick in my brain. I'd love to know if you have a way to remember. :)

nickywsn said:

I always say that it conducts heat consistently throughout the pan, and that it works the same way with cold. I always point out that the entire pan (and not just where the ice cube is sitting) is literally drawing the coldness from the ice cube, which is why it turns to water so quickly. (There's nothing else it can do!) And that the coldness they feel all over the bottom and sides of the pan shows how evenly heat (and coldness) is distributed.

Tina, your story is a great example of the importance of having the perfect tools with which to work. (I mean, it makes sense, doesn't it?) I think I am going to start using a condensed version of your story in my future cookware demos.Thanks for sharing!

Loved the story! We have the saute pan and that is it. My husband uses it all the time, and wants the rest but we don't have the money! would love to earn the one for the july part of the sell a thon!

Has anyone ever tried the ice cube trick with a brand that melts the ice faster than PC?

KimmyDarling said:
Tina, your story is a great example of the importance of having the perfect tools with which to work. (I mean, it makes sense, doesn't it?)

I think I am going to start using a condensed version of your story in my future cookware demos.

Thanks for sharing!

I have had several people say it is a great story for shows, but yes, it needs to be condensed. It works better to tell it, than to write it. But most understand what I mean when I talk about the men wanting the best tools and we need them to. They always want me to tell their spouse. :D

4kids4me said:
thx for explaining it to me - I'm adding this to my next show!

Ya, who's gonna tell us about the rice krispy thing? I'm dying to hear this!!!
I made the rice krispy treats tonight (first time EVER)! I did some in the executive cookware, and some in my old T-Fal cookware. I discovered that you first should let it cool. But after I let it cool, it wiped right out of the PC pan with a paper towel. It was amazing! But since I had nothing to compare it to, I wasn't that impressed yet. Then I used the TFal, and it stuck to everything, even tho it has a non-stick coating. Once I used hot water and soap, it cleaned up ok, but no way was that going to clean up with just a paper towel.

I am sending my experimental treats to work with dh, or I'd eat them all! Very dangerous to know how easy these are to make!!! :D

Well, I tried the ice cube thing in my saute pan and in a stainless steel pan the same size. It was a hot day and while the PC ice cube melted slightly faster, the most impressive thing I noticed was how the entire pan got COLD while my stainless steel pan stayed room temp. I may need to pack both of those pans to take to shows so people can feel the difference.

I did a test. I will preface this by saying that I am one who firmly believes in owning quality cookware. I've had my share of the cheap-o Wally World stuff that flakes off into your food, blah blah blah. So, the skillets I used are not cheap by any means.

I used 4 of my own skillets - the 8" PC Executive Saute Pan, the 10" Kitchen Aid (stainless steel with non-stick coating, the 10" Commerical Grade Calphalon skillet, and my 12" Chef's Secret skillet (stainless steel).

The PC was the last one to finish melting. That was a bit of a surprise. However, it was the ONLY one that the sides of the pan were as cold as the bottom. The Calphalon was the only other one that the sides were cold - but not as cold as the spot where the ice had been setting. The other two, the sides never got cold.

The only explanation I can come up with as to why PC was the slowest to melt the cube is that perhaps the cold spread SO quickly that there was not the advantage of heat to melt it as fast.

Anyway, now I KNOW before I SHOW.

Yep, the ice cube doesn't show the melting part so much as the heat transfer.

For the ice cube to melt faster you have to have your hand on the bottom of the pan (where the burner would be). It shows how the pan transfers the heat to the food quicker.

MomToEli said:
I did a test. I will preface this by saying that I am one who firmly believes in owning quality cookware. I've had my share of the cheap-o Wally World stuff that flakes off into your food, blah blah blah. So, the skillets I used are not cheap by any means.

I used 4 of my own skillets - the 8" PC Executive Saute Pan, the 10" Kitchen Aid (stainless steel with non-stick coating, the 10" Commerical Grade Calphalon skillet, and my 12" Chef's Secret skillet (stainless steel).

The PC was the last one to finish melting. That was a bit of a surprise. However, it was the ONLY one that the sides of the pan were as cold as the bottom. The Calphalon was the only other one that the sides were cold - but not as cold as the spot where the ice had been setting. The other two, the sides never got cold.

The only explanation I can come up with as to why PC was the slowest to melt the cube is that perhaps the cold spread SO quickly that there was not the advantage of heat to melt it as fast.

Anyway, now I KNOW before I SHOW.

What is the ice cube thing with the sauté pan?

The ice cube trick is a simple and effective way to check if your sauté pan is at the right temperature before adding your ingredients. It involves placing an ice cube in the pan and waiting for it to melt and evaporate. When the ice cube is gone, the pan is at the perfect temperature for cooking.

Can you explain how to use the ice cube trick?

Sure! Here's how it works: First, heat your pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Then, drop an ice cube into the pan. If the ice cube melts and evaporates within 5-7 seconds, the pan is at the right temperature for sautéing. If it takes longer than that, the pan is not hot enough yet. If the ice cube evaporates too quickly, the pan is too hot and you should lower the heat and wait a minute before trying again.

What is the purpose of using the ice cube trick?

The ice cube trick is a foolproof way to ensure your pan is at the perfect temperature for sautéing. This is important because cooking at the right temperature can greatly affect the outcome of your dish. If the pan is not hot enough, your food may end up steaming instead of sautéing, resulting in a different texture and taste. If the pan is too hot, your food may burn or cook too quickly.

Do I need any special equipment to use the ice cube trick?

No, you do not need any special equipment. All you need is a sauté pan and some ice cubes. This trick can be used on any type of stove, including gas, electric, and induction.

Can I use the ice cube trick for other cooking methods besides sautéing?

Yes, you can use the ice cube trick for other cooking methods such as searing, stir-frying, and pan-frying. The key is to wait for the ice cube to evaporate before adding your ingredients to the pan. This ensures that your pan is at the right temperature for optimal cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KayPT
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
  • ChefJoyJ
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • byrd1956