• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice Cube Demo Trick on the 8 Inch Saute Pan

In summary, Ann provides a demonstration of how quickly and evenly a skillet will heat up with an ice cube inserted. She also provides advice on how to thaw chicken breasts quickly.
ChefJoyJ
I know I've seen it mentioned on this board, but I can't find it anywhere (and I'm too tired to keep looking...:indif: ) I know you can put an ice cube in the 8 inch excutive saute pan and it melts quickly and shows off some great features... but what do you say about it??

I've got a show tomorrow night making a skillet cake and while it's in the oven, I want to do the ice cube thingy to show off the cookware (using my saute pan).

Help me know what to say!! :eek:

I believe part of it is to have guests feel how cold the pan gets with the ice cube in it and how quickly it happen. Also the reasoning is "if cold can go through it that quickly and evenly imagine how heat will do" That's all I remember...I'm sure someone has the whole thing...*coughs* Chefann *cough cough* :D

Hmmm...don't know exact words but it is impressive. I think it's the fact that it's a good conductor and the pan heats quickly and evenly. Clear now, isn't it??

I put an ice cube in a measuring cup or something to compare that it does melt alot faster in the skillet. I pass it around to show them that the sides are as cool as the bottom which means that the whole pan is heating up just not where the heat (or ice in this case is). I also joke with them after they pass it around that the last person has to drink it! Usually gets a good laugh and a weird look from the last person.

Kristina21 said:
I believe part of it is to have guests feel how cold the pan gets with the ice cube in it and how quickly it happen. Also the reasoning is "if cold can go through it that quickly and evenly imagine how heat will do"
That's all I remember...I'm sure someone has the whole thing...*coughs* Chefann *cough cough* :D

Yep - little phrasings like that (or your "speil" if you have one, are exactly what I'm looking for! I have to admit I'm feeling kinda lazy today... :blushing:

lol on your chefann comment - I'm totally going to be checking in later to see if she has offered a pearl of wisom or perhaps a nugget or 2. :D

Keep your thoughts coming guys - help me sell some cookware!!! :chef:

I put 2-3 ice cubes in the saute pan. I direct people to look at the cookware pages in the cookbook. I discuss the 3 (soon to be 2) different lines. I particularly stress how evenly and consistently it heats. I explain that I have a way they can see this, but I joke since they don't want me passing around a hot pan, I'll show them with cold instead of hot. I let them know the pan was only at room temperature before I put the ice cubes in. Some people wait to put the ice cubes in until after someone feels it to ensure it hasn't been heated in any way. I explain that the whole line of pans conducts heat very well because of its heavy gauge aluminum construction. When you pass it around within a minute or two of putting it in the pan, people are amazed at how cool it's gotten. I also explain that you can thaw chicken breasts very fast by using this same concept. INstead of putting frozen chicken breasts out on the counter all day (unsafe!), you can lay them in the 12" skillet and they will thaw within 40 minutes or so just because of the pan being at room temperature. It really works!

Hope that helps! If you happen to have the smallest size executive saucepan from one of the sets, I think the ice cube demo works even better with this because you can REALLY feel how cool the pan gets all the way up the sides!!

Just have to hijack with a funny story about this...the pan got to the 3rd row of a show for me and the cube was half melted. A lady took it out and put it down the front of the shirt of the lady next to her.

There went that demo... ;)

Oh, and I put one cube in a prep bowl at the same time - the one in the pan melts 2-3 times as fast...

janetupnorth said:
Just have to hijack with a funny story about this...the pan got to the 3rd row of a show for me and the cube was half melted. A lady took it out and put it down the front of the shirt of the lady next to her.

HA! thats great! I mean who's gonna forget that show? Not the woman that got ice cubed!!! *giggles to self*

It is also on the new video we should be getting in the mail this week!

I was just going to mention that, Allison! Jennifer Soto includes it in her segment (I haven't watched the others yet).

janetupnorth said:

I haven't had any sneaky guests like that yet!

In the video she puts an ice cube in the Exec saute and one int he Stainless saute and in a prep bowl. By the end of her talk the cubes in the two pans are melted. She pours the water over the unmelted cube in the prep bowl and then passes the pans around to they can see how cold they feel and talks about the even heat distribution that our pans give.

I think that is the same video that she talks bout defrosting the meat more quickly by putting it in a piece of cookware on the counter. I do that all the time and it really works!

I say a lot of what Becky says....esp about putting frozen meat in the pan to thaw. What I do that is a little different is...I take an old saute pan with the teflon scratched off on it from my days before pampered chef. I explain the differences....sprayed on teflon vs. baked on autograph coating...how teflon is dangerous if it is scratched etc.
I then put an ice cube in the crappy pan while talking about the different cookware lines. I do this to give the crappy pan a head start.
then I put an ice cube in the exec saute and continue to talk about conduction of heat etc. As I'm walking around letting people touch the pan, the exec ice always melts first and I explain why. Then I finish up by putting the crappy pan ice in the exec pan to finish it off. Everyone always loves this.

riggs62 said:
I say a lot of what Becky says....esp about putting frozen meat in the pan to thaw. What I do that is a little different is...I take an old saute pan with the teflon scratched off on it from my days before pampered chef. I explain the differences....sprayed on teflon vs. baked on autograph coating...how teflon is dangerous if it is scratched etc.
I then put an ice cube in the crappy pan while talking about the different cookware lines. I do this to give the crappy pan a head start.
then I put an ice cube in the exec saute and continue to talk about conduction of heat etc. As I'm walking around letting people touch the pan, the exec ice always melts first and I explain why. Then I finish up by putting the crappy pan ice in the exec pan to finish it off. Everyone always loves this.

I was going to do the same thing but realized that I threw out all my crappy pans when DH and I moved in together!

1. How do you do the ice cube demo trick on the 8 inch saute pan?

To do the ice cube demo trick on the 8 inch saute pan, fill the pan with a small amount of water and turn the heat on to medium-high. Wait for the water to come to a boil, then place an ice cube on the surface of the water. As the ice cube melts, it will create a barrier between the surface of the pan and the water, preventing the water from boiling over.

2. Why is the ice cube demo trick useful?

The ice cube demo trick is useful because it prevents boiling water from spilling over the sides of the pan, making clean-up easier and avoiding potential burns from hot water. It also allows for a more even cooking temperature and prevents the water from evaporating too quickly.

3. Does this trick only work on the 8 inch saute pan?

No, this trick can be done on any size saute pan. However, the 8 inch saute pan is the perfect size for this demo as it allows for a small amount of water to be used, making the ice cube more effective in creating a barrier.

4. Can I use this trick with other liquids besides water?

Yes, you can use this trick with other liquids such as broth or sauces. However, be aware that the color of the liquid may change as the ice cube melts and mixes with the liquid.

5. Is the ice cube demo trick safe for non-stick pans?

Yes, the ice cube demo trick is safe for non-stick pans. In fact, it can help prevent scratching or damaging the non-stick coating by preventing the liquid from boiling over and potentially burning onto the surface of the pan.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smallfarmmom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ginamkiely
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • babywings76