• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the average rate for home daycare for a newborn?

In summary, the mother is considering hiring a nanny to watch her preemie son, and is unsure about the average rate. She is looking for advice on what to charge.
ahammons
I stay at home with my two kids, and PC is my hobby. :) A member of my DH's family just had a baby a few weeks ago, and has asked me to consider watching him for her. She's a nurse and really wants to go back to work full time, but she's nervous about leaving him with someone she doesn't know. He's a preemie, so that's adding to her anxiety. I completely understand what she's going through - I had planned to go back to work after my oldest was born, but when he came early, I just couldn't leave him. I would love to watch him, but she wants to know how much I'd charge. So this is what I need help with! :D I have no idea what the average rate is for watching a newborn, but she's family, so that makes it harder! Any suggestions?

I watched my youngest niece for the first 3 years of her life, until my husband got too sick for me to be gone all day. I didn't charge her as much a daycare would, only $45 a day. But I have this wonderful bonding with my niece that I would have totally missed out on if I hadn't watched her.Find what you and your family member are comfortable with her paying you, and enjoy your bonding time with this child.

I don't do daycare, but I do watch my niece & nephew & used to watch another one, along with staying home with my 2 kids. I've always charged $20 a day for one kid. Now that my sister has 2, I charge more. Her son is in preschool in the mornings, so I only charge $10 a day for him--$30 a day total for both. I've been watching his sister since 8 weeks old at $20 a day & I watched another nephew from 6 weeks old at the same rate. I don't charge any different for a baby.

Hope that helps since I watch family too! I wanted her to pay me so it felt like a job instead of me feeling like I was being taken advantage of.

I charged as much as I did because I drove to her house, which is about an hour away. Otherwise, if I had lived close, I wouldn't have charged her nearly as much as I did.

Oh, and I agree with Debbie--the bonding is so nice! I'm very close with my 4 year old nephew (I've been watching him since he was 10 months). I was close with my other nephew too, but I only watched him for about 14 months.

Thanks! I really hope this works out! :D The only down side is that we'll be moving to our next base in July... I know I'll bond with him, and I'm sure my kids will too. But I'll definitely enjoy it while I'm watching him!

I take my two girls to an in home daycare and she charges $130 per week/each. My oldest is 3 and the youngest 5 months. She keeps her fees the same for all ages. She is fully licensed and registered. $130 per week is very reasonable around here. I have friends that pay $200 a week!

I don't do daycare but use in-home daycare. Call local daycares to see what they would charge for that age.

Each region has very different prices - just like houses are different. I looked at that $45 a day above and about died! 80% of the workforce around here aren't making much more than that.

Just set the rate mutually ahead of time and also talk about how she wants you to handle things or if she is comfortable with how you care for your kids. It is easier when you aren't related to watch kids...when you are related there can often be tension in the family if you do disagree on something. Talk it out up front so you are comfortable and keep the communication open! When young it may just be feeding schedules, when older it gets to be correction, routines, all kinds of stuff...

Good luck and have fun with him!

I agree with calling around to various care places to find out what they're charging in YOUR area. I don't know what babies cost but if I had my 5 yo in full time preschool it'd be about $130 a week... it's one of the reasons why she only goes twice a week for $62/wk... I can't imagine what they charge for babies... likely close to $200/week if not over that... in home care tends to be cheaper around here but often, not by much though. Also make sure you're both on board with what you're providing vs what they'll be providing... diapers? food/snacks/formula? wipes? toys? making sure you're both on the same page is vital to avoiding misunderstanding anywhere down the road.

A word of caution if I may............be sure that this is what you want to do. Set clear boundaries...drop off and pick up times are rigid...parents provide diapers, wipes, food if need be....that kind of stuff. Sometimes I think being related or friends makes it harder to watch someone's children.

I have been doing in-home childcare for about 14 years now. it is a very rewarding job, but also has it's downsides. You are pretty much homebound for the entire time the children are in your care. My hours are 7-5:30 M-F. I am very fortunate thatI have an assistant that comes in at 2:30 every day so that I am able to do extra-curricular activities with my own kids. (18, 14, 10, and 8)
Keeping friends and family is typically something I try to stay away from. I suppose if you have clear bounderies that both sies will follow, it could work. Put it in writing-it makes it seem more official. Let them know it is a job for you and show that you are a professonal.

I am actually starting to consider offering services for daycare. I am going to look into getting licensed. I am just sick of bosses. That is why I love PC so much! I paid $189.00/week for 3 days when Ethan was in daycare!! :eek:

jodistrauss said:
I have been doing in-home childcare for about 14 years now. it is a very rewarding job, but also has it's downsides. You are pretty much homebound for the entire time the children are in your care. My hours are 7-5:30 M-F. I am very fortunate thatI have an assistant that comes in at 2:30 every day so that I am able to do extra-curricular activities with my own kids. (18, 14, 10, and 8)
Keeping friends and family is typically something I try to stay away from. I suppose if you have clear bounderies that both sies will follow, it could work. Put it in writing-it makes it seem more official. Let them know it is a job for you and show that you are a professonal.
But if you were working anywhere else you would be stuck there too.

So what kindof licensing do you have to acquire for in home day care? How many kids can you keep at one time? Anyone know?

bsaxman said:
So what kindof licensing do you have to acquire for in home day care? How many kids can you keep at one time? Anyone know?
I think it varies by state. I have to be OCCS (Office of Child Care Services) certified. You just need to take specific classes.

In GA, we are allowed to keep 6 children for pay at any 1 time. You are also allowed up to 2 school age kids forup to 2 additional hours per day. Yo can maximize earnings by taking PT kids. They generally pay more than FT kids and if you can match schedules, it really pays off. The downside is that they are not as used to your routine and can sometimes disrupt your schedule.
With a "regular" job, you are able to leave for lunch, Dr. appts, etc. When you are doing home childcare, the parents need you to be available so that they are able to work. Somedays there is no lunch break for you, and it is very hard to....uh... go potty alone.

The licensing requirements in Ga are VERY simple. Basically a fingerprint card gets sent to GBI and you are required to have a background check for you and anyone that resides in the home over 18 and anyone that comes into contact with the kids.
You are also required to stay current in First Aid/Cpr as well as have 10 additional clock hours of training yearly.

For me it was different, I was watching my niece in her own home. If my sister had put her in daycare she would have paid about $50 more per week then what she paid me. When my niece turned 3, my sister and I agreed that she should go to a daycare center 2 times a week so she would have interaction with other children. Less than a year later is when my husband took a drastic turn and couldn't be left alone all day long. So, my niece then went into daycare for the 5 days a week.

Debala715 said:
For me it was different, I was watching my niece in her own home. If my sister had put her in daycare she would have paid about $50 more per week then what she paid me. When my niece turned 3, my sister and I agreed that she should go to a daycare center 2 times a week so she would have interaction with other children. Less than a year later is when my husband took a drastic turn and couldn't be left alone all day long. So, my niece then went into daycare for the 5 days a week.

My situation is a little different too. I wouldn't watch anyone BUT family. I can take the kids out if I need to & my sister doesn't care. So I can run to the bank, mail stuff, etc. Sometimes I'll pick her son up from preschool so she doesn't have to use her lunch break. We've had a few disagreements (mostly when we were both pregnant this year & very hormonal!), but overall it's been good.

I do agree with Jodi though about not having a "regular" job. When my sister was pregnant at her office job, she just left when it was time for the appt. For me, I had to make my appts at certain times on certain days when either my DH would be home, or when I could take my DD & niece when my nephew was in school. I'm wondering if I'll ever get to eat lunch when my niece & nephew come back in 2 weeks with a 1 month old & 4 month old to feed & a 4 year old & 2 year old too! Luckily my DD does come home for lunch so he helps out with the older ones a little.

I don't do daycare but my SIL watches my 8 month son and has since he was born and I went back to work. She charges $75 a week which is $15 a day.

I watched an infant for a few months & was paid $100 a week. We are now close friends with her parents.

bsaxman said:

Depends on the ages of the kids and the rules of your state.

Basically in the state I'm in the older the kids the more of them you can have but there's also rules about mixed ages together and such...

What I always find so interesting is when you get paid to watch other kids you're limited as to how many you can watch... yet you can birth and have as many kids as you want with no limits. Just one of my weird, random thoughts that pop in my head.... like I think it's interesting that if you stay home with your own kids, you don't get paid... but if you stay home with someone else's you do...

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Before we found out we were moving, I was considering getting an FCC (family child care) license to be able to watch kids on base. To get their license, you have to complete about 60 hours of training. The average price per child at our previous base was $125-$175 a week.

A good friend of mine currently runs a home daycare, and charges $110 a week until they're a year old, then the price goes down a bit. She said that she checked into daycare centers, and they charge $160-$175 a week for kids in the infant room! MY BIL in Pittsburgh pays $200 a week for my niece to go! :eek: My kids have never gone to daycare, so I guess that's why the prices shock me so much! lol I'm still going to have to do a little research for prices in my area before deciding what to tell her. It's been several years now, but my MIL used to do daycare as well and I believe she charged $100 a week.

Sorry, I don't remember who mentioned it, but someone said they charge $75 a week - that's actually the first price that popped into my head! lol I don't want to charge her too much since she's family, but I don't want to feel taken advantage of either.

We haven't really talked about any details yet, because she just asked me the other day to consider it. But she does know that we'll be moving again when he's 9 months old, and doesn't seem to have a problem with having to find someone else.

lkprescott said:
What I always find so interesting is when you get paid to watch other kids you're limited as to how many you can watch... yet you can birth and have as many kids as you want with no limits. Just one of my weird, random thoughts that pop in my head.... like I think it's interesting that if you stay home with your own kids, you don't get paid... but if you stay home with someone else's you do...

LOL!! :D I never thought about it like that!

I watch a girl three days a week and she gives me $130 a week.

1. What are the benefits of using a home daycare versus a traditional daycare center?

Home daycares often have smaller group sizes, providing more individualized attention for your child. They may also offer more flexible hours and a home-like environment, making it easier for your child to adjust. Additionally, home daycares are typically more affordable than traditional daycare centers.

2. How many children do you typically care for in your home daycare?

The number of children in a home daycare can vary, but most states have regulations on the maximum number of children that can be cared for in a home setting. This number usually ranges from 6-12 children, depending on the age of the children and the provider's qualifications.

3. What qualifications or training do you have as a home daycare provider?

Each state has different requirements for home daycare providers, but most require some form of training or certification in early childhood education or child development. Many providers also have experience working in a daycare setting or may have their own children. It's important to ask about a provider's qualifications and experience before choosing a home daycare.

4. Do you provide meals and snacks for the children in your care?

Most home daycares do provide meals and snacks for the children in their care. However, it's important to ask about any food allergies or dietary restrictions your child may have and if the provider can accommodate them. Some home daycares may also ask parents to provide their child's meals and snacks.

5. How do you handle discipline in your home daycare?

Every home daycare provider has their own methods for discipline, so it's important to ask about this before enrolling your child. Some providers may follow a specific discipline policy, while others may have their own approach. It's important to find a provider whose discipline methods align with your own parenting style.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• laylaleigh
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookin to the top
  • milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • PCSarahjm