• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Classified Someone as a "Hobbyist"?

In summary, a consultant would say that if you consistently submit $150 or more in sales, you are considered a hobbyist. However, if you miss a month, you may have to rebuy your kit.
BadGirl
Gold Member
I usually submit one show per month, sometimes from a cooking show...sometimes from a catalog show. My sales for each submittal is usually above $350. At this point in time, I really don't want to put too much time in to this business, seeing as I don't have a lot of spare time to appropriately devote to it.

Does that make me a hobbyist?

Another thing: it looks like I'll be unable to submit a show for the month of September. Will I burn in hell for it? Will that make me go inactive? What are the ramifications of not submitting a September show.

For what it's worth, I already have two shows book for October.

I would think it depends who you are asking. Your Director or HO may have a different definition than the IRS. My understanding (and I'm no expert) is that the IRS wants to see a profit within 3 years to consider your business a real business.

From a consultant perspective, I would personally think of a hobbyist as someone who doesn't have a consistent income each month. If you consistently have an income every month, even if it's $200-300, I'd consider that part-time.

You will not burn in hell , yes you would be called a hobbyist and that's fine
you have 6 months of not putting in 150.00 in sales then you would have to rebuy your kit, So it's ok to miss a month Iwould atleast try to get in 150 each month ........ Catalog shows really help at least you know a show is going in That's the beauty of Pamperedchef

chef131doreen said:
You will not burn in hell , yes you would be called a hobbyist and that's fine
you have 6 months of not putting in 150.00 in sales then you would have to rebuy your kit, So it's ok to miss a month Iwould atleast try to get in 150 each month ........ Catalog shows really help at least you know a show is going in That's the beauty of Pamperedchef

This is true. but if you skip 2 months (less than $150 in sales per month) you lose your lifetime sales toward your 2% raise. Sounds like you are doing over $300 consistantly so you are on your way. Don't lose your progress if you can help it.

While it's a GOOD idea to ALWAYS submit $150+ every month, nothing will happen if you skip one month. ...well, except you won't get a paycheck for that month.

Hi there! It sounds like you have been successful with your submissions and have been able to balance your time with your other responsibilities. As a Pampered Chef consultant, there is no set requirement for how many shows you must submit each month. You are free to run your business at a pace that works for you. Whether you consider yourself a hobbyist or not is up to you, but it's great that you are still able to generate sales with your submissions. As for not being able to submit a show for September, it's totally okay! Life happens and sometimes things come up that prevent us from being able to do everything we want. There are no consequences for not submitting a show in a particular month. Just be sure to communicate with your customers and potential hosts about why you won't be able to submit a show in September and offer to work with them in October. It's great that you already have two shows booked for October and I'm sure you will continue to have success with your business. Keep up the good work!

What Classified Someone as a "Hobbyist"?

A hobbyist is someone who engages in an activity or interest for pleasure and relaxation, rather than for financial gain or as a profession. This can include a wide range of activities, such as cooking, crafting, sports, or collecting.

What are the benefits of being a hobbyist?

There are many benefits to being a hobbyist, including stress relief, improved mental health, increased creativity, and the opportunity to learn new skills. Hobbies also provide a sense of accomplishment and can help build social connections.

Do I need to have a certain level of skill to be considered a hobbyist?

No, there is no specific skill level required to be a hobbyist. The main criteria is that the activity is done for enjoyment rather than for professional or financial gain. Everyone is welcome to pursue hobbies, regardless of their skill level.

Can I turn my hobby into a business?

While some hobbyists may choose to turn their hobby into a business, it is not a requirement. Many people prefer to keep their hobbies as a personal activity and not turn it into a source of income. However, if you do decide to turn your hobby into a business, it is important to consult with a professional and understand any legal and financial implications.

How can I find others who share my hobby?

There are many ways to connect with other hobbyists, such as joining online communities or local clubs, attending hobby-related events and workshops, or simply reaching out to friends and family who may share similar interests. Social media platforms can also be a great way to find and connect with others who share your hobby.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jenpottratz
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
Replies
Views
bridedream