• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What challenges do consultants with disabilities face?

In summary, Tyler's story is a great example of overcoming obstacles. He was born deaf, but through intensive speech therapy and learning sign language, he was able to achieve success despite his disability. He has a deaf husband and a baby son who is hearing, and he is a successful business owner.
Porchechef
I am sorry but I just need to vent without pointing fingers.

Yes, I may have a disability but it does not mean I am stupid or incapable of doing anything. I just am deaf which means I JUST can't hear. My hands are fine, my eyes are fine, my body is fine, MY BRAIN is perfectly fine, and I ACTUALLY look normal :).

I can read lips, talk with my voice (it may not be perfect), and communicate with hearing people just fine. I even do parties with hearing customers with no problem.

IF you're wondering why I am venting, well this consultant gave an opportunity and I contacted this person. We communicated via email and I was preparing to call him/her. Well, once I told that consultant that I was deaf. I stopped hearing from that consultant. Yes, I am offended but want to make sure that all of you know that just because a consultant is deaf, blind, have cerebral palsy, etc does not mean that they can't do anything.

A little background on me- I was born hearing but was exposed to German Measles (Ruebella) and became deaf at 6 months old. I went through intensive speech therapy and was mainstreamed in public schools all throughout my school years. I went to a public college and got my bachelor's and master's degree in education (hmmm- if I can get my master's degree, apparently my brain is fine). I did not learn sign language until I was 7 years old. I do still sign but I do voice also. I have a deaf husband who has the same type of background. I have a beautiful 3 month old son who is hearing and he is functioning GREAT!

Sorry if I sounded rude but I just needed to vent in a nice way :).

I need encouraging words please! :chef:

I think you are more capable than many without a disability! Just rise above it and know that you are better than whatever that consultant may think. Best of luck reaching your goals!

Good for you for overcoming the obstacles that were thrown in your way! If that other consultant cannot work with you, that is their loss. You apparently have a lot going for you! Keep up your good work and running your business with the integretity that others lack and you will be great!

:)

Tyler - thank you for your story! One of the things I love best about PC is that it is open to everyone. Of course you can do this and be successful!

I have a friend with a story very similar to yours, only she was 18 months when she lost her hearing due to an illness. I met her because her mom & I were in a small group together, and her mom was asking for prayer for Emilee because she was having difficulty finding a job. Seems no one would hire a college student who was hearing impaired. I was managing a bookstore, and needing to hire a receivings clerk - someone to manage my backroom. I had her come in and interview...she was actually way over qualified - but I hired her anyway. :) Lucky me - because she was the most conscientious, hard worker - and always went above and beyond what she was supposed to do. Not wanting to hold her back, I encouraged her to apply for positions that came open at the home office of the company we worked for - she did apply and was eventually hired (all those great reviews from me, and our district manager!), was able to continue her education, and has been very successful in her career.

Through all this, we became, and remain friends. She has since had a cochlear implant, which has helped, but hasn't been the miracle it was touted to be.

She just got married this past Christmas. (the little stinker - she eloped!) and is living on the other side of the country now, but I remain so proud of her and what she has accomplished, not despite her "disability", but despite peoples short-sightedness of her amazing abilities!

Don't let someone else's short-sightedness discourage you. You are bright, articulate, and obviously willing to work. You'll do just fine!

(((hugs)))Ignorance will sometimes cause people to do the strangest things. So sorry that the other Consultant did that to you. Regardless of any disABILITY you are still someone who deserves to be treated with respect and not shunned like that.By the way, I'm a retired Police Dispatcher and man could I tell you some funny stories involving RelayTexas! I'm so glad my agency finally invested in a TDD machine so I could bypass that group of imbeciles all together! I told one of their employees once that construction was being done in my building & I was having a hard time hearing her ... I asked her to repeat the caller's last question. She typed that whole sentence & sent it back to the caller asking him to repeat his question. (((insert eye roll here))) Some people just don't know how to use common sense!

Wow, what an inspiring story - thank you for sharing.

Just remember, just because she hasn't gotten back w/you doesn't mean it's because of your disability. This is your perception. I once watched an Oprah show where they were testing people about this. One of the stories they put an ugly scar on a beautiful girls face w/make-up - looked very real. They then sent her on a job interview; however, before she began they said they needed to "touch it up." They actually removed the scar. Afterward she said the interview went terrible and all he kept looking at (the interviewer) was her scar! They showed her the video and how she didn't have a scar and she couldn't believe it.

I've also heard on training before if we don't call our hosts/customers back (we know sometimes we don't if it gets to be too long), they feel this way - that we just don't care enough about them or there is something wrong with them.

These are good things to remember.

What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.As for the dropped recruit lead, shake the dust off your feet and move on! It may have nothing to do with you .... could simply be that the person decided they didn't want the opportunity after all!

I don't have anything poetic to offer. Just that: People are just idiots. What can I say?

My MIL is a little person. Some would call her a midget, but that is a derrogatory term. She is just like you and me, but smaller. Nothing special really. I mean, she is special to us, but you get the point. And you would think people wouldn't stand there gaping, yes gaping at her, but they do. And they say rude things! :O I don't have the tolerance she does, so I always say something smart like, "See something inetersting?" ot "NOT polite to stare".

Tyler I commend you for coming into the company and showing the world that you are only as "disabled" as you think you are. I wish you much success!

Thank you all for the encouragement! I truly appreciate it!

ChefBeckyD said:
Tyler - thank you for your story! One of the things I love best about PC is that it is open to everyone. Of course you can do this and be successful!

I have a friend with a story very similar to yours, only she was 18 months when she lost her hearing due to an illness. I met her because her mom & I were in a small group together, and her mom was asking for prayer for Emilee because she was having difficulty finding a job. Seems no one would hire a college student who was hearing impaired. I was managing a bookstore, and needing to hire a receivings clerk - someone to manage my backroom. I had her come in and interview...she was actually way over qualified - but I hired her anyway. :) Lucky me - because she was the most conscientious, hard worker - and always went above and beyond what she was supposed to do. Not wanting to hold her back, I encouraged her to apply for positions that came open at the home office of the company we worked for - she did apply and was eventually hired (all those great reviews from me, and our district manager!), was able to continue her education, and has been very successful in her career.

Through all this, we became, and remain friends. She has since had a cochlear implant, which has helped, but hasn't been the miracle it was touted to be.

She just got married this past Christmas. (the little stinker - she eloped!) and is living on the other side of the country now, but I remain so proud of her and what she has accomplished, not despite her "disability", but despite peoples short-sightedness of her amazing abilities!

Don't let someone else's short-sightedness discourage you. You are bright, articulate, and obviously willing to work. You'll do just fine!

LOL about your friend being the little stinker :). I know what it is like when trying to find a job, etc. Especially when being deaf, etc. Thank you for giving that girl an opportunity- she will never forget you.

I know I will do more than fine :). Just wish that people would realize it is actually 2009 not 1800s!

Sheila said:
(((hugs)))

Ignorance will sometimes cause people to do the strangest things. So sorry that the other Consultant did that to you. Regardless of any disABILITY you are still someone who deserves to be treated with respect and not shunned like that.

By the way, I'm a retired Police Dispatcher and man could I tell you some funny stories involving RelayTexas! I'm so glad my agency finally invested in a TDD machine so I could bypass that group of imbeciles all together! I told one of their employees once that construction was being done in my building & I was having a hard time hearing her ... I asked her to repeat the caller's last question. She typed that whole sentence & sent it back to the caller asking him to repeat his question. (((insert eye roll here))) Some people just don't know how to use common sense!

GOSH- that's one bad thing about the relay! It does get frustrating sometimes (then later you look back and laugh at it). That was exactly why I was explaining that I was deaf and tried to explain how the relay works so that person wouldn't be confused.

You're right- some people don't know how to use common sense! :)

pampchefrhondab said:
Wow, what an inspiring story - thank you for sharing.

Just remember, just because she hasn't gotten back w/you doesn't mean it's because of your disability. This is your perception. I once watched an Oprah show where they were testing people about this. One of the stories they put an ugly scar on a beautiful girls face w/make-up - looked very real. They then sent her on a job interview; however, before she began they said they needed to "touch it up." They actually removed the scar. Afterward she said the interview went terrible and all he kept looking at (the interviewer) was her scar! They showed her the video and how she didn't have a scar and she couldn't believe it.

I've also heard on training before if we don't call our hosts/customers back (we know sometimes we don't if it gets to be too long), they feel this way - that we just don't care enough about them or there is something wrong with them.

These are good things to remember.

That was what I was thinking but then it ended up to be almost a whole week since I have heard while we did talk frequently for a few days beforehand. Will see

Di_Can_Cook said:
What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.

As for the dropped recruit lead, shake the dust off your feet and move on! It may have nothing to do with you .... could simply be that the person decided they didn't want the opportunity after all!

The person was actually a consultant :). You're right- he/she may have decided not to do it after all but it would be nice to let me know.

AJPratt said:
I don't have anything poetic to offer. Just that: People are just idiots. What can I say?

My MIL is a little person. Some would call her a midget, but that is a derrogatory term. She is just like you and me, but smaller. Nothing special really. I mean, she is special to us, but you get the point. And you would think people wouldn't stand there gaping, yes gaping at her, but they do. And they say rude things! :O I don't have the tolerance she does, so I always say something smart like, "See something inetersting?" ot "NOT polite to stare".

Tyler I commend you for coming into the company and showing the world that you are only as "disabled" as you think you are. I wish you much success!

Your first sentence made me laugh :). Yes, we the ones who have a disABILITY have to have high tolerance- I can't tell you how hard it was to be the only deaf student in the whole school while growing up (I lived in the rural areas in Alabama- NO I am not a redneck LOL)- I don't think I would ever recover from that but hey- I am here and love my life! Thanks to people who believed in me and gave me encouragement.

Thank you for the commendation. I actually think there is not a lot of deaf consultants because there are so many audio cds without transcripts and some of the DVDs aren't CLOSED CAPTIONED! I have contacted HQ about this and they say they will send me transcripts but nada yet.

AND ANOTHER THING... you don't want this shallow a$$ person on your team.

(Not to tell you what to do; I was just sayin..)

AJPratt said:

Righto :)

AJPratt said:

LOL - it's good to have you back, Anne. :D

Aww, shucks! You know, Becky, I hear stuff like this and I get my "Jersey" up! Sort of like when my Nana would get her Irish up, but without the beautiful accent!

Porchechef said:
...my body is fine, MY BRAIN is perfectly fine, and I ACTUALLY look normal :).

Wow... I just read this again. That's a lot more than most of us can claim on here! Hey, I had a baby; my brain is so gone and my body... ha ha ha is all I can say. And, the pink hair; can't say I look normal!

(I'm not taking away from the initial idiot the OP has to deal with, just thought I'd be cute.)

AJPratt said:
Aww, shucks! You know, Becky, I hear stuff like this and I get my "Jersey" up! Sort of like when my Nana would get her Irish up, but without the beautiful accent!

I know - it ticks me off too. Just w/o the Irish or Jersey accent.

But I love that about you. You tell it like it is - and you have common sense.

AJPratt said:
Wow... I just read this again. That's a lot more than most of us can claim on here! Hey, I had a baby; my brain is so gone and my body... ha ha ha is all I can say. And, the pink hair; can't say I look normal!

(I'm not taking away from the initial idiot the OP has to deal with, just thought I'd be cute.)

Lol :). How old is your baby? Mine will be 4 months old next thurs.

Mary will be 13 mos on August 31.

"we the ones who have a disability"

Thank you. Yes, I may have a disability but it does not mean I am stupid or incapable of doing anything.

1. Can a person with a disability become a Pampered Chef consultant?

Yes, absolutely! Pampered Chef welcomes and supports consultants of all abilities. We believe that everyone has unique talents and abilities that can contribute to the success of our business.

2. Are there any accommodations or resources available for consultants with disabilities?

Yes, we have a variety of accommodations and resources available to support our consultants with disabilities. This may include assistive technology, flexible schedules, and mentorship programs.

3. How can I communicate my disability to my customers or team members?

It is completely up to you whether or not you choose to disclose your disability to others. However, if you feel comfortable doing so, you can communicate your disability in a positive way, highlighting how it has made you a stronger and more resilient consultant.

4. Can I still attend Pampered Chef events and meetings if I have a disability?

Absolutely! We strive to make all of our events and meetings accessible for all consultants. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance so we can make the necessary arrangements.

5. Are there any success stories of consultants with disabilities at Pampered Chef?

Yes, we have many successful consultants with disabilities who have achieved their goals and built thriving businesses with us. We are proud to celebrate the diverse abilities of all our consultants and their inspiring journeys.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
beckyjsmith
  • pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • cmdtrgd
  • General Chat
Replies