• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Are Your Thoughts on Swapping Parties??

In summary, the speaker's best friend is having a jewelry party and the speaker is not really into jewelry, but may order some earrings. The speaker's other best friend is hosting a Sensaria show in June and the speaker may attend. The speaker's previous show was not successful.
ahammons
Okay, I am just starting my PC business and want to ask everyone about your experiences w/ swapping direct sell parties. Has anyone done it? Was it a success? Maybe "swapping" is the wrong word here... One of my best friends was going to do a catalog show for me since we live in different states. But my husband will be going overseas in a few months, and I will be going back to our home state. She asked if we could just cancel the catalog show and have a cooking show when I get back....of course, I said yes. I think that she'll have more success w/ a cooking show, and I only know about 1/2 of the people she'll be inviting...so I'm hoping this will help me expand my business outside of family and friends. Anyway, she is having a Lia Sophia jewelry party this month, and sent me an e-mail inviting me to order. I'm not really a jewelry person, but I did find some cute earrings that I may order. Then just a minute ago, she sent me a text on my phone asking if she could talk me into hosting a jewelry party. I'm really not sure what to say! Like I said, I'm not a jewelry party, so I'm not sure I'd have a great show if I'm not excited about the products. On top of that, I'm just trying to start my PC business and have asked everyone I know to host a show. I don't think it would be fair to ask them to order from a jewelry party too. You know what I mean? Then again, I don't want to say no and then her not do a cooking show. I don't think she'd do that, but you never know! I'm sorry this is so long! Any advice?? :)

Well, I don't because I'm a sucky hostess. I can never get more than 2 people to my parties and they never go above $150. However, I have heard of good swaps. I did do one with a Body Shop gal and I cohosted with a friend - her friends actually came which made it into a $500 show.As for the catty show you have with your friend, encourage her to hold it and book off herself so she can get two host specials when she holds the cooking show. If I were in your position, I would at least purchase the earrings you like and maybe try to find someone to cohost or to give her as a referral.

I was in this situation, I had the show, but then as it approached I wished I had waited a little while. So if it something you would like to do for your friend, and you think it could benefit you..tell her yes...but later in the year.

I have found in my experience that if you aren't excited about the show you are hosting..how is anyone else (your guests) going to get excited about it?
It is one of my reasons for not pressuring people to do a show..My hosts that want free products and want a big discount make sure that they have alot of guests at their show, and that they get bookings, etc. That is just my thought. I know what you mean about asking your friends to buy jewerly now too, you don't want to burn them out on home parties...I personally try not to swap unless I am interested in the other persons product and she is interested in mine. Hope this helps...good luck with your new business!

How about if you do a joint Open House? That way you can both invite everyone you know and feed off of each other's guests? Maybe have a small door prize too?

It definitely depends upon the other show and who is hosting. Since you aren't excited about jewelry (I'm not a big jewelry person either -- much to DH's distress) you may want to beg off right now because you are spending so much time focusing on getting your business off the ground.

That being said, I am going to have a Sensaria (skin care) show in June (booking off my sister's show) for several reasons -- booking credit for my sister's show (she's been great to help me get started, has had a cooking and a catalog show and a wedding registry), the consultant placed a very nice PC order at my sister's show, wants to book a show in a few months and the consultant is a dear. Hopefully, I can have a great show!

As someone in the middle of this right now...RUN AWAY!! It is hard to do since she is your good friend. I think Linda's idea of a joint Open House sounds like a good compromise.

Whew! :eek: I thought this was about something else.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Whew! :eek: I thought this was about something else.
Such a man....

Oh, yeah, like YOU didn't think of that, too.:rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, yeah, like YOU didn't think of that, too.

:rolleyes:

I only thought of it when I saw that you had replied to the thread :D :D

Back to the topic, a very good friend of mine had a catty show for me, and I was supposed to have a Southern Living at home show for her. Well, living in Wisconsin, people haven't heard of SLAH, and I've passed catalogs to about 20 people that I know...and NO ONE is interested. I feel horrible about this, and she's kinda ticked, but what am I supposed to do? I will never swap shows with another consultant from any other DS company! This really opened my eyes, and I feel like a jerk, so that's it!

I personally do not like it. I do not want anyone to book a show with me and assume I am going to do the same. If I host a show for anyone I only do it b.c I really like what they are selling. I got "roped" into a TW party once and hated it and therefore was not a good host. I just had someone book a show and then say "you want to do a MK party?" I do not want to swap parties b/c then I spend the commission I make on doing a party for them and end up not getting anything out of the deal!

Just my opinion of course!!

I don't like to swap. If someone asks me to, I like to say what my director says....I"m so busy with PC, that on my nights off from that I like to be home with my kids. PLus, I don't want to wear people out with selling; I'd rather ask them to buy PC from me & make money! greedy huh? nah:)
Now, if it's something I AM interested in, I will host a show for them when it's a good time for me. For example, I"m hosting an Uppercase Living party in May as a housewarming party in my new house, because I love their product & not a lot of people around here have heard of it. (plus I want to show off my new house!)

pcchris said:
Back to the topic, a very good friend of mine had a catty show for me, and I was supposed to have a Southern Living at home show for her. Well, living in Wisconsin, people haven't heard of SLAH, and I've passed catalogs to about 20 people that I know...and NO ONE is interested. I feel horrible about this, and she's kinda ticked, but what am I supposed to do? I will never swap shows with another consultant from any other DS company! This really opened my eyes, and I feel like a jerk, so that's it!

I just had a SLAH show...WOW it's expensive. Nice, BUT :eek:

I have done it a couple of times. I never expect the shows to be huge though. I guess their friends have a sense of loyalty, where mine just like to shop. LOL

I agree with what most have said. I recently tried to swap shows with a Longaberger consultant. I invited 30 people and 2 were willing to come! I was kinda excited about it, but no one else seemed to be. So we ended up cancelling. I think this consultant felt that if I couldn't host a good show for her, she wasn't even gonna try for me. (Just a feeling I got).

Anyway, I HAVE hosted other parties in the past, but did not ask for reciprocation. And I've had other DS consultants host for me and they didn't ask me to reciprocate either.

I just had an Arbonne rep ask me to swap parties and I'm a little afraid of it. BUT she wants to host a PC show the first weekend in JUNE!!! Maybe I'll have to try anyway, because I want to earn those sellathon products!

I just recently did one from a past host who does CTMH and fortunatley for me, her show was a success but my party 1. she had to cancel (due to the flu) and call in her upline to take her place 2. she didn't get any commission or anything out of it, no bookings either ...so I felt bad for her ( my party only ended up with 4 guests and barely qualifed). So I doubt I will ever swap again?

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I talked to my friend lastnight, but we ended up talking about a million other things and never got to talk about the party. I'm supposed to talk to her again today, so I'll have to ask her more about it. She's not a consultant with them, and I've never even heard of Lia Sophia until she sent me the e-mail about her party. I'm not sure if she gets any benefits from me booking a show - I'm assuming she does, or she probably wouldn't have asked me. So I guess I'll find out more tonight. I'm still not sure if I really want to host a show, but maybe I'll see if I could put it off until later in the year, after I get my PC business up and going. I'd probably have better luck when I'm back in my home state anyway. Thanks again for all of your experience and advice! :)

lacychef said:
I don't like to swap. If someone asks me to, I like to say what my director says....I"m so busy with PC, that on my nights off from that I like to be home with my kids. PLus, I don't want to wear people out with selling; I'd rather ask them to buy PC from me & make money! greedy huh? nah:)
QUOTE]

Lacy you sound just like me on this!!!! I do not want to bite the hand that feeds my check!:D

I had a MK rep ask me the other day how did my calendar stay so booked that she could not get parties. This being said after she told me I would make more money with MK than PC!! Who is having booking problems again?!HA!:D

Exactly Jennifer! I don't want to wear people out & have them saying.....oh man, what's she trying to sell to us now?!

Thanks everyone! My friend told me that she'll get more free jewelry for each booking, so I told her that I might consider doing one later in the year. She's going to check with her consultant to see how far out it can be.
I'm actually kind of excited about one of my catalog show that I have going right now though. The host was supposed to co-host w/ her mom, but her mom's been sick for 2 weeks and couldn't help. She just e-mailed me today asking if she could book another show off of hers. She's only going to get half of what she wants this time, then get the rest at her next show. Plus, she's very excited to get the May host special at a show my MIL booked from hers. So her first show might be a little low in sales, but I have a feeling she's going to kick butt at her next one! :)

1. What exactly is a swapping party?

A swapping party, also known as a swap party, is an event where guests bring items they no longer want or need and exchange them with other guests for items they do want. It can be a fun and cost-effective way to refresh your wardrobe, home decor, or kitchen utensils.

2. How does a swapping party work?

Each guest typically brings a predetermined number of items to the party and places them in a designated area. Then, guests take turns choosing items they want to swap for from the collection. Some parties may have a specific theme, such as clothing or kitchen items, while others may be more open to any type of item.

3. Can I bring any type of item to a swapping party?

It depends on the specific party and its theme. Some parties may be focused on clothing, while others may be open to any type of item. It is best to check with the host or read the party invitation to see if there are any guidelines or restrictions on what items can be brought.

4. Is there a cost to attend a swapping party?

Most swapping parties do not have a cost to attend. However, some may have a small fee to cover the cost of refreshments or venue rental. It is important to check with the host beforehand to see if there is any cost associated with attending.

5. Are swapping parties only for women?

No, swapping parties can be for anyone who wants to participate. While some may be geared towards women's clothing or accessories, there are also swap parties for men's clothing, children's items, and even home goods. It is ultimately up to the host to decide the theme and who is invited.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Cat2000
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • melissaboyd
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies