• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some unique southern dishes to bring to a party?

In summary, southern dishes typically include deep fried appetizers, fried chicken, cornbread, pimento cheese, banana pudding, and pecan pie.
Jean DeVries
Gold Member
I've been invited to a party next weekend and I have to bring a southern dish.

Mind you, I'm about as northern as you can get without being in Canada.

So...what are good southern dishes? I'm looking for something perhaps a little non-traditional, since everyone else there will be bringing southern dishes also, and I don't think we need like 40 bowls of greens or corn bread.

What else is there?

Jean DeVries said:
I've been invited to a party next weekend and I have to bring a southern dish.

Mind you, I'm about as northern as you can get without being in Canada.

So...what are good southern dishes? I'm looking for something perhaps a little non-traditional, since everyone else there will be bringing southern dishes also, and I don't think we need like 40 bowls of greens or corn bread.

What else is there?

I'm not a Southern Belle - but I lived in SC for several years. :rolleyes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Peach-Cobbler-2/Detail.aspx

Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes - All Recipes

Southern Praline Pecan Cake - All Recipes

Oklahoma Cheese Grits - All Recipes

Cheese Grits - All Recipes

The Best Chicken Fried Steak - All Recipes

South Carolina Sweet Tea - All Recipes

Kentucky Pecan Pie - All Recipes

What kind of dish do you want? Appetizer, main dish, dessert?

Go to food www.network.com and look up Paula Deen's recipes

gallon of "house wine" which is known as sickenly sweet tea in our neighborhood

Teresa Lynn said:
gallon of "house wine" which is known as sickenly sweet tea in our neighborhood

my mom calls it "southern syrup" :p

cornbread salad is a good recipe and is pretty in the trifle bowl
cheese straws or wafers pretty made with our cookie press
pimento cheese sandwiches (Paula Deen has a great recipe)

Teresa Lynn said:
cornbread salad is a good recipe and is pretty in the trifle bowl
cheese straws or wafers pretty made with our cookie press
pimento cheese sandwiches (Paula Deen has a great recipe)

Totally forgot about those! Those were at every "Covered Dish" dinner I went to when I lived in the South. (we call them Potluck here in MI) They MUST be on squishy white bread though.

i vote anything paula dean, but i live in IL what do i know

mmmm Fried green tomatoes, fried potatoes, fried pies.... see a theme?
Any vegetable dipped in flour and salt and pepper and fried to a crisp is acceptable. When in doubt- deep fry it. ( Twinkies and oreos are also quite tasty when dipped in batter and fried.)
I just asked one of my students, and she said "Taters or corn." I am quoting her ver batim.
Pecan pie is also a staple at any and every get-together.

Banana Pudding is always a winner. Paula Dean has an amazing recipe that is AMAZING, and you could layer it in the trifle bowl to be beautiful!!!!

Reading through this thread is making me hungry.

The Banana Pudding thing - When I lived in SC, there was one dear lady in my church who would have me over for dinner at least a couple times a month, and she always made me Banana Pudding. Man, I loved that stuff!

I may have to go buy some bananas, etc...and make some now!

pulled pork in the deep covered baker

As in a Derby Party? Then you'll want anything fried, bbq'd, cheesy meat or chicken dip, chocolate-pecans dessert(Derby Pie Rocks!) or with bourbon.

I'm from Louisville, KY and we started our May 1st Derby partying this last Saturday with Thunder over Louisville. It's 2-3 weeks of parades, boat races, marathons, festivals, fancy gala's and more! It's all to celebrate 2 minutes of horse racing on the first Saturday in May.

It is so much fun! I LOVE this city!!

I just googled and found you a good link for recipes...Bourbon Balls and Cheese Grits...mmm...

Kentucky Derby - All Recipes

Pretzel Salad!

melindagilbert said:
Pretzel Salad!

Pretzel Salad is a Southern thing? Weird. I never had it until I moved to West Michigan, and married a Dutchman. Since Jean lives in this area....and has the same Dutch heritage, it's probably been something she's seen on every potluck she's attended. :D:D:D

sweet potatoes ....and for all of them that we eat, I've YET to try a Sweet potato pie! But I'm a relocated Yankee. Been in the south about 1/3 of my life.

I didn't read everything but did anybody mention corn puddin'? Yum.............

1. What is "Hey All You Southern Belles!"?

"Hey All You Southern Belles!" is a line of products from Pampered Chef that are specifically designed for Southern cooking and entertaining. These products are inspired by traditional Southern cuisine and culture, and are perfect for making delicious recipes and hosting gatherings.

2. What types of products are included in the "Hey All You Southern Belles!" line?

The "Hey All You Southern Belles!" line includes a variety of kitchen tools and gadgets, cookware, bakeware, and serving pieces. These products are designed to make cooking and entertaining easier and more enjoyable for Southern-style dishes.

3. Are the "Hey All You Southern Belles!" products only for those living in the South?

No, the "Hey All You Southern Belles!" line is not exclusive to those living in the South. These products can be used by anyone who enjoys Southern cuisine and wants to add a touch of Southern charm to their kitchen and entertaining.

4. Can I find "Hey All You Southern Belles!" products in retail stores?

No, "Hey All You Southern Belles!" products are exclusive to Pampered Chef and can only be purchased through a Pampered Chef consultant or on the Pampered Chef website.

5. How can I learn more about using "Hey All You Southern Belles!" products?

You can learn more about using "Hey All You Southern Belles!" products by attending a cooking or entertaining show with a Pampered Chef consultant. You can also find recipes and tips for using these products on the Pampered Chef website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • babywings76