• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some fun things to do in Eastern Indiana near Upland and Gas City?

In summary, a person is seeking recommendations for fun activities to do in Eastern Indiana while visiting their step-daughter at college. They mention staying in Gas City and wanting to avoid typical activities like swimming in the hotel pool. Others suggest visiting museums and restaurants in Indianapolis or Fort Wayne, or driving to Auburn to visit the Victory and Auburn Cord Dusenberg Museums. Some also mention smaller towns like Muncie and Kokomo as potential places to visit. There is a discussion about the Muppet car being displayed at both the A-C-D Museum and the Studebaker Museum in South Bend.
mrssyvo
I am hoping those of you in Eastern Indiana can help. My step-daughter goes to college in Upland (Taylor Univ) and we are going to see her this weekend, and looking for something to do. We are staying in Gas City (a VERY appropriate name for my hubby) and we are looking for something fun to do. I realize it is probably too late for apple picking, or fall festivals, but I would like to find something more interesting than swimming in the hotel pool (hubby's idea) Beth is a senior, and working so hard at her studies and working that she does not get a chance to get off campus much, and I would really like to give her a fun weekend. Upland seems to be in the middle of no-where, but I am sure those of you in the area know where the fun is. We are not opposed to driving into Indy, but we did that last time, and would like to find something different this trip. HELP!!!!!

Last edited:
I grew up in Marion, which is fairly close. Unfortunately, Upland really is in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, it's only about an hour or so from Indianapolis. In Indy you'll find several museums. My favorite is The Children's Museum. Trust me; it isn't just for children.BTW, you'll want to visit Ivanhoe's. Great burgers and ice cream!

Wow - I've been to Marion a couple of times. There isn't much in Gas City at all. I've got family in Hartford City (most of them are planted just outside of town) and there isn't a lot there, either, except for a quirky (touristy) ice cream place north of town.There are also several interesting museums in Fort Wayne, about the same distance northeast as Indy is southwest.

Indy's just a tad closer and seems to offer a bit more. You should be able to do a search for either city.KG, she's even a little too far away to enjoy your favorite Peru attraction: Mr. Weenie.

We always hit Ivanhoes- WONDERFUL!!!!!! I guess I can do a search of Indy for the weekend, but was really hoping for something different.

Unfortunately there really isn't a lot to do in Northern Indiana - that's why Fort Wayne has the highest per capita of restaurants!! We also have the highest per capita of Churches:)! I guess we have to pray due to our over indulgence!

Indianapolis does have a lot more to offer. I do like the Children's Museum as well as Rae mentioned. Just walking downtown and shopping is really nice too.

If you really want to drive North, I would recommend the Victory Museum in Auburn, Indiana, and the Auburn Cord Duesenburg Museum which is there as well. It would be about a 2 hour drive for you. I think The Vicotory Museum is the only WWII Museum in the U.S. On the way to or from the Musuem you could stop at the Outlet Mall in Fremont. Everyone loves going there. That have great prices at the name brand stores.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

My car club did a road trip to the Auburn Cord Dusenberg museum last year - really neat. Even if you aren't a huge car fan. They have the car from The Muppet Movie on display, as well as some 150-year-old carriages.In Elkhart, there's a gorgeous mansion that has a tour available: Ruthmere (http://www.ruthmere.org/index.html), built in 1908 for an executive of Miles Laboratories.

I grew up in Upland...don't put down small towns :)
No, there really isn't much to go do and see in Upland or the surrounding areas. Growing up, we made up our games and things do to outside. It was a wonderful town to grow up it; my parents actually still live there.
If you don't want to drive all the way to Indy (which is the area I live in now) there's always Muncie to the south or Kokomo to the west that has shopping and dining places.

chefann said:
My car club did a road trip to the Auburn Cord Dusenberg museum last year - really neat. Even if you aren't a huge car fan. They have the car from The Muppet Movie on display, as well as some 150-year-old carriages.

In Elkhart, there's a gorgeous mansion that has a tour available: Ruthmere (http://www.ruthmere.org/index.html), built in 1908 for an executive of Miles Laboratories.
Wait a minute...back up the Studebaker.

How can the Muppet car be in the A-C-D Museum when it's in the Studebaker Museum in South Bend?

IM003570.jpg
IM003571.jpg

I was there and took those photos myself. (I have a theory, though.)

srduggan said:
No, there really isn't much to go do and see in Upland or the surrounding areas. Growing up, we made up our games and things do to outside. It was a wonderful town to grow up it; my parents actually still live there.
If you don't want to drive all the way to Indy (which is the area I live in now) there's always Muncie to the south or Kokomo to the west that has shopping and dining places.
Oh, yeah, now there's two places teaming with excitement.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Wait a minute...back up the Studebaker.

How can the Muppet car be in the A-C-D Museum when it's in the Studebaker Museum in South Bend?

I was there and took those photos myself. (I have a theory, though.)
OOPS!! You're right! I was getting my car museums confused. Sorry! We were at the Studebaker museum. (DH and I were the only people in the group who were impressed that the Muppet Car was there. :) Generation gap...)

Sorry for the confusion!

Whew! I thought it was either Auburnheimer's or Studementia setting in.All those defunct car makers in Indiana just get me confused sometimes.

srduggan said:

Hey, I would never put down small towns. I used to live in LaFontaine, IN, and I currently live just outside of Denver, IN. I love small towns. There just isn't exactly an overabundance of things for tourists to do.

raebates said:
Hey, I would never put down small towns. I used to live in LaFontaine, IN, and I currently live just outside of Denver, IN. I love small towns. There just isn't exactly an overabundance of things for tourists to do.

It's so funny that so many of us are from small towns around here! I live in Ft. Wayne now, but lived in Gas City & Marion as a child. My cousins lived in LaFontaine. My director was also from that area--in fact, her older sister was in the same grade as my aunt! Small world.

They used to advertise that "there's more than corn in Indiana" but is there really?? lolMy daughter goes to school in Fort Wayne!

Yes - there's soybeans, too.

They still advertise "There's more then corn in Indiana," but Indiana Beach is only open in the summer:)!

I've always liked the irony of Indiana Beach being so far away from Lake Michigan.But I also like how Indiana has a state park called Falls of the Ohio and it's across the river from Kentucky. And there's an Indiana University in Pennsylvania.

We had a great weekend, and it went VERY quickly. We went to Indy, to the art Mueseum, with a detour first to Muncie to the thrift shop. College kids LOVE to shop there for clothes, I guess. After the museum, we ate at The Cheesecake Factory, Sunday after church, we had lunch at Cracker Barrell in wondeful Gas City, then to Ivanhoes for dessert. Oh my, the size of their sundaes are unbelievable. I ordered a mini- and it was too much!!! My hubby had a bananna split the size of his head!!!!!

A place where I worked years ago had an week-long annual conference at Taylor University. We looked forward to it every year. We'd do Ivanhoe's for lunch and dinner. We'd have eaten breakfast there if they'd been open. Man, I miss Ivanhoe's.

1. What is Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef is a direct sales company that offers high-quality kitchen tools, cookware, and pantry items. We are known for our innovative and time-saving products that help make cooking and entertaining easier and more enjoyable.

2. How can I purchase Pampered Chef products in Eastern Indiana?

You can purchase Pampered Chef products through a local consultant in Eastern Indiana. You can find a consultant in your area by visiting our website and clicking on the "Find a Consultant" tab. You can also host a cooking show or shop online through a consultant's personal website.

3. What types of products does Pampered Chef offer?

Pampered Chef offers a wide range of products for cooking, baking, meal prep, and entertaining. Our product line includes everything from kitchen gadgets and tools to stoneware, cookware, and pantry items. We also offer seasonal and limited edition products throughout the year.

4. Can I host a Pampered Chef cooking show in Eastern Indiana?

Absolutely! Hosting a cooking show is a great way to earn free and discounted products while having a fun and interactive cooking experience with friends and family. Contact your local consultant to schedule a cooking show in your home or virtually.

5. Does Pampered Chef offer any special deals or discounts for customers in Eastern Indiana?

Yes, we frequently offer special deals and discounts for our customers in Eastern Indiana, such as monthly promotions and exclusive offers for hostesses and guests. Be sure to check with your local consultant for current promotions and discounts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Chef_2_Four
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
amy07
  • wadesgirl