• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Here's What Happens When You Let Do-Gooders Run Things

In summary, the University of Iowa has canceled a corn-eating contest meant to support the school's team and the state. The university's vice-president believes that the contest would promote gluttony and obesity, while some experts disagree and students see it as harmless fun. The decision has been met with criticism and comparisons to other eating contests that are still allowed. The history of Puritan philosophy is mentioned in relation to the decision.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
(Emphasis is mine - you gotta read this to believe how stupid these people are.)

University of Iowa Cancels Corn-Eating Contest

The University of Iowa says "No" to an event meant to support it's team, and the state in a unique way. A campus alumni organization wanted to hold a corn-on-the-cob eating contest to get students fired up for the big Iowa-Iowa State game this weekend, but the university shot down the idea to send a message.

The university vice-president says the contest was canceled because it would promote gluttony and obesity. The university doesn't have a problem with giving out free corn, just the amount.

"I think it would have been funny to watch. I would have enjoyed that. I probably wouldn't have participated. I'm not really concerned that a corn eating contest would make kids huge," says Sophomore Julie Matic.

Freshman Stacey Burke adds, "If I heard there was an eating contest, I'd think hey that's Iowa life for you. We grow corn."

Not everyone thinks eating contests should be 'Iowa life.' Dietitian Judy Fitzgibbons of Hy-Vee says, "This day and age the idea of somebody stuffing themselves to capacity just seems like there's better ways of spending our time and our resources." She says participating in an eating contest won't necessarily make someone gain weight. She says making a habit of it is a different story.

Students, on the other hand, say it's all in good fun. "I think they could have let it slide. It's not like we're doing it with like beer or ice cream," says Matic.

Fitzgibbons says eating a bunch of corn probably won't do much to affect our bodies. She says, "Our bodies are really good at letting us know if we've done something awful, and someone's not really going to hurt themselves." But she adds that university is doing the right thing. "Good for them. As a dietitian that's a no-brainer. I always thought those things were really silly."

This was the first time the corn-on-the-cob eating contest was scheduled at the University of Iowa. There is also a traditional hot-dog eating contest during homecoming week in October. The university has asked organizers to cancel that event as well.

http://www.kwwl.com/News/index.php?ID=15111.
The multi-volume History of Britain says that the Puritans were dedicated to the philosophy that someone, somewhere, is having a good time and we have to stop it. That philosophy is, apparently, alive and well in Iowa.

Judy Fitzgibbons says, "I always thought those things were really silly."

Um, yeah, so what's your point?

BTW, eating contests cause obesity? Has anyone seen a photo of Takeru Kobayashi, the guy who usually wins Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest? (He only ate 63 this year and came in second.) We should all be as obese as he is.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/TakeruKobayashi.jpg/225px-TakeruKobayashi.jpg

Considering what the after-effects are from corn and how well it is digested.....I really don't see how this can be considered promoting obesity. Afterall - how many obese people (or even overweight people in general) can attribute the bulk of their weight gain to corn? Silly article and even sillier people who made the decision.

College students do silly things - that's part of the rite of passage. How dumb of the school to make such a big deal of this.

That is ridiculous Corn is a veggie We had a local tamale eating contest and think bout all the pie eating and hot dog eating contest. One bout of binging eating does not cause obesity

A lot of the kids are having drinking contest on a regular basis - now THAT can contribute to obesity not corn

Kathytnt said:
A lot of the kids are having drinking contest on a regular basis - now THAT can contribute to obesity not corn
And THAT is very dangerous.

That administration needs to lighten up!

pamperedlinda said:
Considering what the after-effects are from corn and how well it is digested.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

Kathytnt said:
That would be any weekend at the University of Wisconsin.

Would these be the same people who say toddlers on tricycles must be wearing helmets?
So silly!

The philosophy of the typical do-gooder is that we are all too stupid to remember to breathe, so we need a nany-state government to think for us.

ChefBeckyD said:
Would these be the same people who say toddlers on tricycles must be wearing helmets?
So silly!
WHAT?? :eek:

Pretty soon they'll be arresting parents for neglect for not putting seatbelts on those tricycles.:rolleyes:

Don't give the nannies any ideas!

BethCooks4U said:
WHAT?? :eek:

Pretty soon they'll be arresting parents for neglect for not putting seatbelts on those tricycles.:rolleyes:

Yeah - I have a friend who lives in a subdivision where the "Neighborhood Association" says that ALL children on bikes/trikes must be wearing helmets.......I think it must be run by someone who like to wield complete and total power over others......they also can only have their garage doors open a certain amount of time each day......how stupid is that?

ChefBeckyD said:
Yeah - I have a friend who lives in a subdivision where the "Neighborhood Association" says that ALL children on bikes/trikes must be wearing helmets.......I think it must be run by someone who like to wield complete and total power over others......they also can only have their garage doors open a certain amount of time each day......how stupid is that?
Don't you mean "Neighborhood Natzis"? I swear! (Well I don't but I would!) My husband would MAKE our kids ride their trikes past that house every day without helmets on. LOL They can't make a law like that - let them take it to court.

I have lived in neighborhoods with lots of restrictions and have found that it really depends on who's breaking the rules. Some people are nuts! In our former neighborhood there were several levels of contracts given out by the association (everyone had different rules) and when someone "broke them" and was told to comply they got an attourney and he said that none of them were legal because they were all different. Others checked too and now they don't have enforced bylaws - just suggested ones.

We now choose to live in a neighborhood with no rules for us to sign and no association fee (of course our town DOES have standards so it is a very nice area). But then found out that there are such rules - too bad. We weren't given them so too bad. (don't happen to be breaking any as it happens but...)

BethCooks4U said:
Don't you mean "Neighborhood Natzis"? I swear! (Well I don't but I would!) My husband would MAKE our kids ride their trikes past that house every day without helmets on. LOL They can't make a law like that - let them take it to court.

We now choose to live in a neighborhood with no rules for us to sign and no association fee (of course our town DOES have standards so it is a very nice area). But then found out that there are such rules - too bad. We weren't given them so too bad. (don't happen to be breaking any as it happens but...)

Are you married to my husband????
He gets along with almost anyone but would do the same thing with our kids!
We live in the country though on curvy roads that people fly down so he does make them wear their helmets...

This whole debate makes me sad for today's society. People get funny about the stupidest things sometimes (like using indian names for cities and mascots) - been done for years - I have some Indian (oops Native American because that is how the "rules" are getting) in me - it does offend me one bit!

We have to watch who we may offend...granted...some things shouldn't be said or watched and you shouldn't try to offend, but it gets petty and ridiculous. Yet, not one person stops someone taking the Lord's name in vain each and every day! That part irks me...

OK, off soapbox...

BethCooks4U said:
College students do silly things - that's part of the rite of passage. How dumb of the school to make such a big deal of this.
I totally agree, you can't help but ask yourself, who's more ignorant the school or the students?

The politcal correctness movement has also been put forward by the NCAA for team names and mascots. Now, the NCAA is located, where is that again?Oh, yes...The National Collegiate Athletic Association
700 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana

It reminds me of the post that Kristin put on here the other day - It's amazing how we all survived with no seat belt laws, lead paint, smoking everywhere, no helmets on bikes or motorcycles etc. Our moms drank and smoke while they were pregnant. Not condoing any wreckless behavious - Some of these things we did not know about I think someone on that thread said we were raising a generation of wusses.

<slowly raises hand> That would have been me...

Bet they coulda used that corn....Cuz I'm guessing the digestive after effects, when emitted, would have created just enough of a breeze to keep that last minute-game winning-field goal from going against them.

As an interesting aside, I belong to an organization that every year holds a convention. At this convention, one of the campground rituals is ramen noodle wrestling. Yep, that's right, setting up a wrestling ring with hay bales and tarps, pouring in pots of cooked ramens (no flavor pack necessary), and watching people wrestle in it.

Well, in 2004, I chaired the convention in Marquette, Michigan, in the heart of the UP of Michigan. It was this year that they decided they were going to start wrestling in regional food. Since they couldn't find enough cherries, and wrestling in beer is just plain alcohol abuse, they decided to buy dozens of those #10 cans of cream corn and wrestle in that.

Priceless. Messy, but priceless.

And, I'm happy to report, that applying corn to the outside of your body rather than to the inside, also does not lead to traceable gluttony or measurable obesity.

Jean DeVries said:
Cuz I'm guessing the digestive after effects, when emitted, would have created just enough of a breeze to keep that last minute-game winning-field goal from going against them.

As an interesting aside, I belong to an organization that every year holds a convention. At this convention, one of the campground rituals is ramen noodle wrestling. Yep, that's right, setting up a wrestling ring with hay bales and tarps, pouring in pots of cooked ramens (no flavor pack necessary), and watching people wrestle in it.

Well, in 2004, I chaired the convention in Marquette, Michigan, in the heart of the UP of Michigan. It was this year that they decided they were going to start wrestling in regional food. Since they couldn't find enough cherries, and wrestling in beer is just plain alcohol abuse, they decided to buy dozens of those #10 cans of cream corn and wrestle in that.

Priceless. Messy, but priceless.

And, I'm happy to report, that applying corn to the outside of your body rather than to the inside, also does not lead to traceable gluttony or measurable obesity.
KG...I think you have a soul sister here! She sounds just like you!!:p

(Oh, and Jean....I mean that an an absolute COMPLIMENT!!)

Jean DeVries said:
Cuz I'm guessing the digestive after effects, when emitted, would have created just enough of a breeze to keep that last minute-game winning-field goal from going against them.As an interesting aside, I belong to an organization that every year holds a convention. At this convention, one of the campground rituals is ramen noodle wrestling. Yep, that's right, setting up a wrestling ring with hay bales and tarps, pouring in pots of cooked ramens (no flavor pack necessary), and watching people wrestle in it.Well, in 2004, I chaired the convention in Marquette, Michigan, in the heart of the UP of Michigan. It was this year that they decided they were going to start wrestling in regional food. Since they couldn't find enough cherries, and wrestling in beer is just plain alcohol abuse, they decided to buy dozens of those #10 cans of cream corn and wrestle in that. Priceless. Messy, but priceless.And, I'm happy to report, that applying corn to the outside of your body rather than to the inside, also does not lead to traceable gluttony or measurable obesity.
It's a good thing you were in Marquette and not in Iowa City. You might have been arrested for corn abuse.

Last edited:
KellyTheChef said:
KG...I think you have a soul sister here! She sounds just like you!!:p

(Oh, and Jean....I mean that an an absolute COMPLIMENT!!)
She'd be a shoe-in as a sole sister.

Oh, KG - that was a FLAT joke.....

hehehehehehehehehe

sorry - I tried...

After that one, you should feel like a heel.But I wooden argue shoes with the Michigan Dutch.

sorry...I'm a little pumped up tonight...

(groan)

I'm tongue tied.

you've got to be kedding. You?

This is the "Pun Police". You are BOTH under arrest for producing outrageous, horrible, offending puns.

Put a sock in it, will ya?!

hehehehehehehehe

Ha ha!!! You're punny!!!

Do I get to call my a-tenny?

Last edited:
Only if he was educated in Oxford. Anyone else would be a loafer.

hmmm...I wonder if my atennie's fees will spike because i was caught by a flat foot.

Really funny thing is there was a corn eating contest at the Iowa State Fair that involved younger kids - like 9, 10 years old. It was done during the news cast. On another day they had an ice cream eating contest for kids - scrafing it up right out of the cartons.

We sure do choose our battles in rather odd places ...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
(Emphasis is mine - you gotta read this to believe how stupid these people are.)

BTW, eating contests cause obesity? Has anyone seen a photo of Takeru Kobayashi, the guy who usually wins Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest? (He only ate 63 this year and came in second.) We should all be as obese as he is.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/TakeruKobayashi.jpg/225px-TakeruKobayashi.jpg
Yeah, the new winner this year was Joey Chestnut of San Jose, Calif, he ate 66 hot dogs with buns in 12 min.!!! I only know this because he's from California and he was on the radio doing interviews. He it also THIN!!

Addie4TLC said:
Yeah, the new winner this year was Joey Chestnut of San Jose, Calif, he ate 66 hot dogs with buns in 12 min.!!! I only know this because he's from California and he was on the radio doing interviews. He it also THIN!!

That's probably because I personally don't know ANYONE that can eat 66 hot dogs without puking them up later! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

MomToEli said:
Really funny thing is there was a corn eating contest at the Iowa State Fair that involved younger kids - like 9, 10 years old. It was done during the news cast. On another day they had an ice cream eating contest for kids - scrafing it up right out of the cartons.

We sure do choose our battles in rather odd places ...
It should be a federal law that before anyone can be an administrator in academia that they have to have a real job, in the real world, for at least two years.

1. What was the reason for the University of Iowa canceling the corn-eating contest?

The university vice-president stated that the contest was canceled because it would promote gluttony and obesity.

2. Did the university have a problem with giving out free corn?

No, the university did not have a problem with giving out free corn. They were concerned about the amount of corn being consumed in the contest.

3. What was the reaction of students to the cancellation of the contest?

Some students found it funny and would have enjoyed watching, while others were disappointed and saw it as a part of Iowa life.

4. Did the university cancel any other eating contests?

Yes, the university also asked organizers to cancel a traditional hot-dog eating contest during homecoming week in October.

5. What was the opinion of dietitian Judy Fitzgibbons on the corn-eating contest?

Judy Fitzgibbons believed that in this day and age, there are better ways to spend time and resources than participating in an eating contest. She also stated that while one-time participation may not have a significant effect, making a habit of it could lead to weight gain.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sk8rgrrl99
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies