• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Are Some Christmas Gift Ideas for My Elderly Parents?

that might be a bit much. My parents don't really watch television or movies.I haven't asked them yet, but I'm thinking maybe clothes. I usually buy my grandparents clothes. This year my friend from church went on a trip to Turkey to visit some of our missionaries and came across a widow who makes scarfs and shawls. My grandfather has to watch what he eats and the other is losing his hearing. Both of our parents usually get gift cards to something they like. And my mother, she loves to cook.
raebates
Staff member
Because I've come to think of you all as friends and because so many of you are very creative thinkers, I'd like your suggestions. I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with Christmas gift ideas for my parents this year. We spend about $50 on the pair together. I'd be happy with a gift for the two of them together or with individual gifts for each. Here are the issues to keep in mind:

• Neither drinks alcohol.

• Dad is 84, blind, and nearly deaf. He just had a coronary and has developed a few blood sugar issues, so my usual Hickory Farms selection won't work this year.

• Mom rarely cooks anymore, and they don't entertain in their home. They live in a gated community with a large building they use for parties.

• They don't really watch television or movies.

• I'm not really crafty, and, even if I were, I don't have time to make them anything.

• The time frame with our son makes a family portrait gift a no-go.

• They will be visiting here in Indiana for the holidays, but anything I give them will have to travel back to Florida on the plane.

• They never agree on restaurants, so I hesitate to give them gift cards for food.

So, now do you see what I'm up against? My mind has gone completely blank. (No wise cracks, please. :rolleyes: )

TIA!

My favorite website/catalog for "Parent & Grandparent" gifts is the American Spoon Foods website:

American Spoon Foods: Gourmet Food, Gift Baskets

They have alot of things that are sweetened just with fruit, and some great dried fruit and nut mixes, etc......

And their stuff is THE BEST!!! They have several stores in resort areas around Michigan, and they let you sample EVERYTHING they make......it is all so good ~ I spend way too much everytime I go in there!

Their Cherry Mustard, and Cranberry Mustard, are soooo good!

I was going to suggest pre-cooked meal delivery or fruit of the month club (Have you ever seen that episode from Everybody Loves Raymond?). We do that for my grandparents every year and they love it!

Unfortunately, my parents would almost certainly react the way Raymond's did.

Lets see.....Do they have any hobbies? How do they fill their time during the day? What part of Florida?

Does your mom have a regular beauty shop that she goes to? If so, maybe make arrangement to have her next appointment paid for by you and add a manicaure to it.

Since you dad can't hear, see or eat.....what does he do? I'll have to think on that one some more!

what about a gift certificate for walmart or Target or something along those lines?? Then they can get what they want. Do they have a car?? A car starter is always a nice gift (works great in the summer too so would be perfect for Florida). Clothes are always a good gift too.

Do you have siblings?? Is it feasible for you all to get together for a family portrait with your parents at some point?? If so, a gift certificate for that would be good.

Ask themHave you asked them? I mean I know we all want to surprise our loved ones with the perfect gift (I usually bake and give homemade goodies to most of our friends and family) but most of the time I pay close attention all year to things people like or need.
If that isn't possible since they live in FL, I would ask mom what dad wants and dad what mom wants or needs. It is probably the best way to go.

Maybe clothes? That is something I usually buy my grandparents. This year a friend from church went on a trip to Turkey to visit some of our missionaries and came across a widow who makes scarfs and shawls. It was a perfect gift for our grandmothers. My grandfather has to watch what he eats and the other is losing his hearing. Both of our parents usually get gift cards to something they like. And PC for my mother, she loves to cook.

Debbie :D

They don't have any hobbies, other than shopping with friends. They don't buy anything because the "don't need anything." That, by the way, is the answer I got when I ask if there's anything they want or need for Christmas. Dad actually spends most of his time napping. As for a car-starter, they park in a garage, and Mom has expressed the opinion that they're a waste of money and gas. (She tends to be a bit opinionated and fairly free with those opinions.) Those opinions include her dislike of gift cards, which is funny because they occasionally give them.I have one sibling, but a family portrait is out of the question because of scheduling issues.She is picky about her clothes and Dad's, and she doesn't wear scarves or jewelry. Last year we sent Dad some Hickory Farms goodies (he loves summer sausage) and Mom the Executive Saute Pan. She rarely uses it, but needed something for the times that she makes Dad an egg (yes, one egg) for breakfast. It was almost easier with them being in Florida because I didn't have to worry about how they would get things home.Mom doesn't have a regular beauty shop, and she hated the only manicure she ever had.I promise I'm not trying to be difficult. Keep the ideas coming.

Where is Ann when we need her?? Ann always has the answer!!!!I think meal delivery service is a great idea. My hubby and I try it a few times a year.
http://thefocusedfork.com

Last edited by a moderator:
What about something in their honor? Like to their favorite charity or sponsor a family for the holidays.

Also we gave my Grandma one year a star. I dont remember the name of it but Im sure u could find it on the net. But it is real star in the sky and you get to name and they send you a certificate and stuff. Then you write on the card that you wanted to give them the moon but all you could afford is a star!

My other set of grandparetns are very difficult too. This year I am doing a scrapbook calendar of all the kids, grand kids and great grand kids. I only have 4 months done. I better get on it. I was thinking about dance lessons for their birthday. Oh yeah- I'm double lucky - Both their birthdays are the week before Christmas!

Good Luck!

Kristi

That's an interesting idea. I'll add that to the "possibles" list.

I know you said they don't like gift cards, but how about a gift certificate to their neighborhood grocery store?
Coffee of the month
A throw and pillow set (if your Dad naps a lot)

Do you know any one who knits or crochets? Maybe a blanket (I know my grandmother is always cold), or warm slippers...

I know your father is almost deaf, but http://www.yesteryearsradio.com/cr51.html is a great website for old time radios. He can crank up the volume when your mom is out shopping:thumbup:

HTH

Rae I am having the same problem with both our parents but a few things I threw out was a spa day for some pampereing ie: massage, facial or whatever they decide or maybe a house cleaning service GC but checking those out they might be kind of pricey Good luck

Thanks. Keep the ideas coming.The old radio programs is a good idea. I gave him some Lone Ranger tapes a few years ago. Unfortunately his hearing is bad enough now that he has trouble distinguishing words on CD, tape, or broadcast.

I already forget if you said they read or not. I got an e-mail from Amazon with a book idea about last name research. The ________ Name in History.
You put your last name in the blank. http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=pe_18530_7336300_fe_img_1/?node=376247011
We don't know what to get my husband's parents either, so this is what we are getting.

How about a letter telling them how much you love them and appreciating how well they raised you? Cheap I know, but sentimentally it can be priceless.
Second vote would be a really comfy pillow for your Dad.
Set of beach toys so the grandkids can have fun when they visit once a year?
An animal of some sort?
Maybe arrange for them to pick it up from a Florida shelter or something. My husband's grandma is bedridden most of the time, but one of her sons gave her a small puppy. Now to everyone else the dog is an annoying pain in the butt, but she LOVES her. Also she says it helps because she doesn't feel so lonely anymore.
Maybe have it where you pay for a weekly or monthly phone call for a set amount of time so they don't have to worry about the long distance charges.

Rae, you didn't mention what city in Florida they live in. I'm originally from Jacksonville, Florida, and what immediately comes to mind for me, is to think of something that is somewhat "unique" to your area, something that they may not be able to readily purchase in Florida but would enjoy it if they could.

Living in Ohio, which of course is near Indiana, I have found that good ol' apples from a local apple farm was something my father always loved!!

In Florida, they have great citrus, but not so great apples! And the variety is limited, too. Mostly they have red delicious, yellow delicious, McIntosh, and Granny Smith. Occasionally you may find something else, but not much.

In fact, when I moved up here, I was absolutely shocked to find that there's so many varieties here!!

I used to go to the local apple farm, and they would actually ship a box of apples to my father for me. I used to send it for his birthday, which was November 27th. It was really nice, as he had them around Thanksgiving, too!

You mentioned sugar issues. Well, apples are a great choice for that, too, due to the fiber in them!! You see, fiber actually counters the carbohydrates, and we all know that ol' saying about apples keeping the doctors away.....!

Well, that's my thoughts. At the apple farm, we also used to throw in a couple of jars of jelly, since Daddy always loved that. You could add a bar board, and/or an apple wedger or The Corer, if you didn't want it to be all apples.

I'm sure you'll think of something, but I hope this helps, even just a little!!

Good luck! I don't have my parents any more, so my biggest suggestion is to thoroughly enjoy every moment you can share with them!!

Blessings,
Paula

Rae, I am not going to be much help, but can you incorporate a small summer sausage for him in his gift. I know he has health issues, but just a small taste shouldn't hurt too much. Wish I could be more help.

Do they subscribe to a newspaper that may work for Mom.

Such great suggestions!Heifer International is a definite possibility. I know their church has connected with them in the past.My dad is one of those weird people who never uses a pillow, and he doesn't cover up to nap. The apples would be a great idea if they wouldn't have to take them back to Florida, and Mom already has an Apple Wedger.And, Ann, I just might include a mini summer sausage for Dad. ;)

Something else I have done is give them a beautiful journal. In the front few pages I wrote them a letter expressing how much they mean to me and some of my favorite memories. Then i write the instructions- they are to fill the journal with their memories that they would like to pass on to their great gramdchildren. I gave them a 5 year time limit too! That reminds me I should probably check in on their progress!

Kristi

1. What are some quick and easy meal delivery ideas using Pampered Chef products?

Some quick and easy meal delivery ideas using Pampered Chef products include sheet pan dinners, one-pot meals, and slow cooker recipes. You can also use our microwave cookware for fast and convenient meals.

2. Can I use Pampered Chef products for meal prep and delivery?

Yes, our products are perfect for meal prep and delivery. Our containers and meal prep tools make it easy to portion and store meals for later use. Plus, many of our products are designed to make meal prep more efficient and organized.

3. Are there any meal delivery ideas for special dietary needs?

Absolutely! Pampered Chef offers a variety of recipes and products to accommodate special dietary needs, such as gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian options. You can also customize our recipes to fit your specific dietary restrictions.

4. How can I use Pampered Chef products to make meal delivery more eco-friendly?

Pampered Chef offers a range of reusable and sustainable products, such as our glass containers and silicone storage lids, that can help reduce waste and make meal delivery more eco-friendly. Additionally, many of our recipes use whole, fresh ingredients, reducing the need for single-use packaging.

5. Can I use Pampered Chef products for meal delivery as a business?

Yes, many Pampered Chef consultants use our products for meal delivery as part of their business. Our products are designed to make cooking and meal prep easier, which can be a valuable service for customers looking to save time and eat healthier. Plus, as a consultant, you can offer personalized meal plans and recipes to your clients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
Replies
Views
raebates
  • magentablue
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn