• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are my options for dealing with heavy and painful periods?

In summary, the person has been experiencing female trouble, including heavy, irregular, and painful periods, and has a family history of these issues. They are considering a medical procedure, such as birth control, endometrial ablation, or hysterectomy, to address the problem. They have also experienced cramping, hot flashes, and nausea, and have had multiple periods in the past month. They have consulted with a doctor and have had an ultrasound and biopsy. The person is hoping for relief and asks for prayers from others who may have experienced similar issues.
crystalscookingnow
Gold Member
I've been having some female trouble as of late & it's finally gotten bad enough to go to the doc. The women in my family have a history of very heavy, irregular & painful periods. It seems as though I have not escaped the family genes.

While I was at conference, I had cramps so bad that I couldn't get out of bed. I took some pain meds & made it to general session, then made my way home. After having 3 periods in the last month & the constant pain, I called my doctor. I also have constant cramping, hot flashes & nausea. Sounds like fun, huh? I saw my doc on Tuesday & he gave me 3 options. 1 - birth control, which I can't do because I don't tolerate the horomones at all. We've tried all of the different options & I just don't do well with them. 2 - endometrial ablation (sp?) & 3 - hysterectomy.

I'm not quite 30 (Sept) so we are currently looking at option #2. This is only an option b/c we are done having kids (my dh had a vas in Dec). The doctor will remove the uterine lining & then burn it. Sounds scary but it's done as outpatient (what isn't these days??). I had an u/s today & will have a biopsy done sometime in the future. They will be ruling out any type of cancer & any other reason for my bleeding & constant pain. I really wish that u/s techs could tell us if they see anything abnormal, but I understand why they can't.

I'm guessing this is why I've had a slow show schedule & don't have anything lined up for August. My Sept. schedule is about the fullest I've ever had. Please keep me in your thoughts & prayers as we continue on with the unknown.

Thanks if you've read this far. If any of you have any experience with this, please let me know that this will all work out ok.... :)

Crystal

My prayers are with you Crystal.

Crystal~

I have had female problems in the past, but nothing like what you are describing. Mine ended up fine...but I delt with it on and off for quite some time till they gave me the "all is clear."

I pray that you find out quickly that there isn't anything major going on, and that the procedure you are having done fixes the problems! I can't imagine dealing with pain/bleeding/etc like you are describing!

May God bless you,
:)
Kelly

I haven't Crystal, but my cousin has - she is about to turn 41. She went through years (about 20) of issues and did EVERY option except a hysterectomy. Finally, she had one done about a year ago. She has never felt better. It was a hard decision for her because she is not married and hasn't had kids and that was heartbreaking to her, but looking back she is so much better off medically, she's glad she did it. She had been through all the cauterization, etc. numerous times and her issues kept coming back.

I hope and pray you get some relief soon!

My fear, too, is that my issues will come back. I just want to try every option first, kwim? If I still have issues & need to have a hysterectomy, I have no problem with that. I have 3 beautiful children, so that's not an issue.

My dh almost took me to the hospital a week ago b/c he was afraid that I was going to pass out b/c of the blood loss. That's what is so scary to us right now. We don't want something like that to happen.

Been there ...done thatHi Crystal,
I can totally relate to you, Ihave had bad symptoms for years. Last years conference I started a period that lasted 8 weeks and I'm not talking about spotting, when I finally saw a Dr. and went throught the U/S and Biopsy garbage they told me I had SERVERAL fibroids and gave me the same options. I decided since the equipment was not in use and was not going to be that I would have the Hysterectomy. I am soooooo glad I did!!!! I went to conference this year and didn't have the worry or cramps and other stuff that goes along with. This was the best choice for me, if this helps you or puts your mind at ease even a little then I won't feel so embarrassed about writing it for the world to see. Hope it helps

crystalscookingnow said:
My fear, too, is that my issues will come back. I just want to try every option first, kwim? If I still have issues & need to have a hysterectomy, I have no problem with that. I have 3 beautiful children, so that's not an issue.

My dh almost took me to the hospital a week ago b/c he was afraid that I was going to pass out b/c of the blood loss. That's what is so scary to us right now. We don't want something like that to happen.

Understood, so did my cousin. She went through years of "every other option". She finally feels better so I hope you get some relief. She was sick and miserable and in pain for years.

...just keep taking care of yourself...and stay hydrated when you are having that much blood loss.

By the way I went home the next day, no problems and no scars

My mom had that endometrial ablation (sp?) thing done last year and she is an entirely different woman. She used to have heavy, heavy periods and cramps so bad that she was out of commission like 2 or 3 days a month. She also was INCREDIBLY mean and moody. Her back was constantly bothering her during her 2-week long periods and she was really, really tired all of the time. She had a tubal done about 15 years ago and just didn't want to have a hysterectomy if she didn't have to.

So, she and her gyn opted for that endometrial ablation (sp?) thing and she tells everyone that they should have one. She is still pretty young (almost 50), so she's glad she didn't choose the hysterectomy, although she wasn't totally opposed, just wanted to go as uninvasive as possible, KWIM?

If you're taking votes, just based on what my mom says, I go with option #2.

Thank you all for your kind words. I knew I could post here without any worries! :D I'll keep you all posted as I learn more.

Danielle - exactly what I was thinking. As uninvasive as possible! I've got 3 kids to keep up with!

Thanks again. Hugs!!

Does not sound like fun. I hope everything can be resolved and you have a long and healthy life.

I had option #2 done last year & it didn't solve anything unfortunately. I really need to make an appointment to see what my next step should be. I can sympathize with you. It's definitely not fun or anything I would wish on anyone! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Crystal, have you talked to your dr about Yaz, that new birth control with the additional hormone in it? My body cannot tolerate the manmade hormones (I've tried all the different combinations of them), but Yaz has a new hormone added in. I took it and it didn't affect me at all! (except for sore bosom and slight irritability) If you want to try that first, it may not cause the problems that past birth control has caused. Hope you feel better and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi Crystal,

I don't have as bad of a problem as you do, but my Dr. is recommending option #2 for me as well. I'm really thinking about having it done before the end of the year.

My neighbor had it done about 2 years ago and is so glad she did. My co-worker just had it done about 3 weeks ago and is so far very happy as well. She hasn't had any period yet and was having about 3 a month as well. She worked the day of the procedure until about 2 p.m. She was awake for the procedure and it only took 5 minutes. She came back to work the next day!

They don't actually take out the lining and burn it. My Dr. explained they blow up a balloon type item inside your uterise then burn the inside of your uterise. This causes scar tissue which prevents the lining from growing back:) (a beautiful thing)!

I can't handle hormones myself anymore. The last time I tried the pill I was a mess!! I would highly recommend you try option #2.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

My sister in law first did option two, and did nothing for her. A year later did option 3 and is happier than ever she did it, and wished she had done it sooner. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Hi, Crystal!
Boy, can I understand your dilemma! I was having really heavy menstrual periods as well. When I went to the doctor and told him how it was, he basically told me that there were 3 basic options for me to consider at this time....
First of all, would be to do nothing. Not really much of an option, if you ask me, and he agreed!
Secondly, he could prescribe something to reduce the blood flow. A "constrictor", so to speak. I was very leery of something like that...I mean, who knows how long I'd have to have that going on, kwim?
Thirdly the endometrial ablation. I knew about this procedure, because a good friend of mine had had it done a few years ago. She had told me that, they place a balloon inside the uterus, fill it with scalding hot water, and that will basically burn (cauterize) the lining of the uterus.
My doctor told me that, while that USED to be done, they now have a newer method! Now, they actually insert a catheter-type instrument into the uterus instead of a balloon. It then "opens up", or spreads out, like a Japanese fan inside, and is used to cauterize the uterine lining. After this procedure, 80% of all women no longer have periods at all! Of the 20% that do, they are usually much better than before.
I opted for the ablation. I've never regretted my decision!!!!

Just had it done, March 1st. It was out-patient, was home by 10:45 A.M., slept awhile that afternoon, and even went to my son's band concert that night!!
Took it easy Friday and Saturday, went to church on Sunday, was pretty much back to normal in nothing flat!! I think I could've done a PC show by Monday, to tell you the truth!! lol

I know others think a hysterectomy is a good thing, but that does throw you right into menopause, if the ovaries are affected. It's also a lot harder on the body.
Now, if the ablation didn't work, it would be the next step, but I am definitely glad it's the way I went!!

You'll be glad to feel better....less anemic=more energy!!

I wish you all the best, and if you have any questions, please feel free to post or email me privately, if you prefer!!

Blessings,
Paula

Crystal,

I haven't been through this but have family members who have. They do feel much better. I know one had opt #3, and the other opt.#1 and another option #2 (I believe). Everyone is doing better and one is actually pregnant now. I say it is whatever you feel in your heart. You will be in my prayers tonight.

Crystal,

I, too, had endometrioss (all that horrible bleeding!). I had the ablation 3 times. It would work for a while and then all the pain would come back. The scar tissue developed from these surgeries made it worse. I tried hormones (Danazol) but it brought on migraines, which I had never had before. Finally, I had a hysterectomy. That was the BEST decision I have ever made (well, maybe marrying my husband was better!). I immediately felt so much better. Getting rid of all those awful symptoms allowed me to fulfill several dreams. i know my case may be different than yours. I just advise you to follow your heart and do what you think is best at this time. God bless you. I'm praying for you.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Paula R. Lewis said:
Hi, Crystal!
I know others think a hysterectomy is a good thing, but that does throw you right into menopause, if the ovaries are affected. It's also a lot harder on the body.
Now, if the ablation didn't work, it would be the next step, but I am definitely glad it's the way I went!!

This would be my suggestion. I know someone who had the ablation and it was successful. If it doesn't work, move on to the hysterectomy.

You're in my prayers.

Crazy~ I too am going through this. Had a doc's appt yesterday and they threw me back on the pill. Said if I was still bleeding in 7 days that they would throw me on prejesterone (?) for 7 days to stop the bleeding. Also, had some blood work done yesterday to check my thyroid, and to see if I am anemic...yet.
Also have an ultrasound on Monday, so I will be watching this thread with much interest!

I'm sorry you are going through this, and will keep you in my prayers. I also cannot tolerate birth control pills because of the hormones. I get so sick off them I've had to be hospitalized for dehydration. About 2 months ago my doctor suggested trying Yaz and I've had no issues with it. In fact, I believe it has helped me lose weight since being on it because I no longer have cravings around my period. Of course everyone is different and only you and your doctor know what would be your best options.

Hope you feel better!

Jennifer

Crystal,
Just thinking about you and wondering if you're feeling any better....?

Paula

Me too... how are you??

What are the most common health issues that can arise from using certain kitchen tools and appliances?

Some of the most common health issues that can arise from using kitchen tools and appliances include burns, cuts, and foodborne illnesses. It is important to always handle sharp objects with care and properly clean and sanitize kitchen tools to prevent the spread of bacteria.

Can using certain types of cookware be harmful to one's health?

There is some concern that certain types of cookware, such as non-stick and aluminum, may release chemicals into food when heated. It is recommended to use stainless steel or cast iron cookware as a safer alternative.

What are some strategies for preventing cross-contamination in the kitchen?

To prevent cross-contamination, it is important to use separate cutting boards and utensils for raw meat and produce. It is also crucial to wash your hands frequently while cooking and avoid using the same surface for both raw and cooked foods.

How can I safely handle and store leftovers to prevent foodborne illnesses?

Leftovers should be stored in airtight containers and refrigerated within two hours of cooking. It is important to reheat leftovers to an internal temperature of 165°F to kill any harmful bacteria. Leftovers should not be kept for more than 3-4 days.

Are there any kitchen tools or appliances that can help with portion control and healthy eating?

There are many kitchen tools and appliances that can help with portion control and healthy eating, such as food scales, portion control plates, and air fryers. These tools can aid in measuring and cooking healthier portion sizes, leading to better overall health.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
milkangel
  • Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u