• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Went to a Party Lite Show And....

In summary, the speaker went to a PartyLite show for the first time and was not impressed with the consultant's behavior. The show started late and the consultant was not engaging or knowledgeable. The speaker was also unimpressed with the host benefits and the consultant's rudeness on the phone. The speaker is a fan of Yankee Candles and prefers them over PartyLite. They also share a tip for using votive or pillar candles. Another person in the conversation shares their experience with unprofessional direct salespeople and their approach to hosting shows. They also mention liking the idea of a "shopping spree" for host benefits.
yummy4tummy
I just have to tell you about this show that one of my pasts hosts invited me to. It was the first time ever I have been to a PL show. I was not impressed. First off the show was supposed to be @ 6:30...I got there @ 6:25 and the consultant (who BTW has been doing this for 9 years) was just setting up. The show didn't get started until 7....Okay, maybe there was an emergency or miscommunication...no problem. She proceeds to tell about the host benefits, blah blah blah. This poor consultant was very mundane. I was not impressed with the "shopping spree" that was offered either....although I am going to use the term "shopping spree" in my host benefits spill now. I am thinking, how many candles can one person possibly need? Anyway, the kicker was when I was trying to "check out" I wanted to locate a specific candle scent. Her cell phone rings and she proceeds to talk on her cell to another host for 22 minutes! :mad: When she finally hangs up she has the audacity to ask me when she can book my show....I am thinking, how about the 12th of NEVER! I should have pulled out my date book and told her that when she was ready to book a show FROM me...we could talk.

To top it off, the host (my past host wh BTW was a GREAT host) is talking about doing a candle fundraiser. It sounded to me like the PL fundraiser was set up like PC fundraisers (20-30% profit...that was with her kicking in her commission). I felt like she either never listened to my FR ideas or must know a ton of people more interested in candles than me. Just thought I would share.
Valky

That's terrible!:( I would be outraged if my consultant was sitting there talking on the phone when she's supposed to be everything at my show!:eek: It sounds like she doesn't think her s**t stinks and I also think she needs a rude awakening with your host telling her that she's not doing her fundraiser but doing PC's!:D

That is awful! I used to like Party lite but like you said how many candles do you need? I never even burn the ones I have-I am never home long enough.
You should try to sway your past host over to PC for the fundraiser.

You've obviously never been to my house !! HA!! Usually, before I've poured my first cup of coffee I light a candle or two, or three!!
I'm a Yankee Candle freak, before they went out of business at the mall the store knew my kids by name. The sales people would eagerly wait on me & show me the newest scent.
Right now sitting here in my office I have 5 of the jar candles
every room in my house even my laundry room has a candle (s) We have a cabinet that has only candles in it, I rotate them every few weeks!

Our friend who is a fireman cringes!
I have tried party lite don't think their fragrances are as strong, However, years ago (probably 10-12) they used to be a division of colonial candle & they did smell better. My favorite was a mauve one that was a "knock-off" of the Beautiful fragrance.
I don't think PL candle holders are very pretty so when I'm invited to a show I have to buy gifts or tea lights.

Here's a quick tip for using votives or pillars. ..... scatter rock salt in the bottom of your candle holder and around your candle the wax will melt into it and not be a mess to clean up. I am always afraid to put them in the freezer, afraid I'll forget them and my kids will knock them out when they are digging in the freezer.
Teresa

What a shame. It surprises me how unprofessional and discourteous so many direct sales people are.

My shows usually start 10 - 15 minutes after the start time because for most of my shows the guests eat first. (I bring a recipe all ready to serve, then take the guests on a walk through the catalog. It's working well in my area--lots of time to touch on lots of different products.) I let everyone know what time we'll be starting as they arrive. I feel I need to be respectful of their time.

Also, I'm a big fan of cell phones, but there's a time and place for everything. I always turn my phone to silent when I do a show. That way I can check for missed calls when I'm back in my van. I would NEVER answer a call during a show.

I do, however, like the "shopping spree" idea. What a great description of what our hosts earn. Hope you don't mind--I'm gonna borrow that one.

As far as your host goes, I have a difficult time getting people to see the advantages of a PC fundraiser. They look at the difference in percentages and think the other guys will make them more profit. I truly believe that the wide range of products and prices available through PC would pay of better for them in the long run, but all they seem to see is our percentage vs theirs.

I have never started my show exactly on time. I want to, but there is always a delay of about 15 minutes. A half hour is disrespectful to the people who were there on time. I don't even take my cell phone in with me. I do LOVE PL products though! BUT I also love Yankee and thought they were expensive until I saw the PL prices.

I attended a PL show and the cons was boring, boring, boring. But I did get a lot of great ideas from her.

My shows never start on time, so that wouldn't make me to upset.

HOWEVER, I do NOT answer my phone at shows! Only once did I make a call because my babysitter called during the show and I wanted to make sure everything was okay. But I didn't call her back until AFTER the demo was over (I was almost done) and I hadn't started taking orders yet. It was my sister and she just wanted to leave a message letting me know that my son could sleep over and I didn't have to pick him up. :)

The couple fundraisers I've done have always been well received--people like buying something new other than the regular overpriced cookie dough ($10 a tub!!!), wrapping paper, etc. What a bummer that she didn't listen to you!

Sorry for your bad experience. There is a girl on here that sells PC and Partylite and she is great!! We live states away, but I had a catalog show for her once. If you need a good PL consultant, let me know and I can have her contact you. I like their candles and their candle holders.

Many years ago I tried selling PL because I too LOVE Candles. I always have a few around the house and burn them a lot. Latley I'm pretty addicted to the Yankee Candles too . (My new fave is the tea and honey one....yum-o!) However, I didn't find them easy to sell. Even candle addicts can resist the candles most of the time because we know other places to get great candles cheaper. Thats why I gave them up. I love PC because we are simply the best, there is no other direct seller like PC that has host incentives as good as ours, I love going to parties so I've checked! I've never had a consultant at ANY party answer her phone though. It had to be hard for you to not tell her how rude she was!

My shows never start on time, so that wouldn't make me to upset.
Mine don't either, however I make it a point to be finished SETTING UP before guest arrive to give me mingle time. I also try not to delay my shows more than 10 minutes out of respect for the people who were there on time and as a courtesy to the host as not to drag out "departure time".
I wasn't even bothered by that much, and however much I love and depend on my "electronic leash" aka cell phone, I alway put it on vibrate when I am a guest anywhere.
I wanted to ask my former host...which do you think people use more....kitchen or candles? I use to sell Home Interiors years ago. I STILL have a stock of candles that could light up the White House. Oh well, o-bla-di, 0-bla-da!

raebates said:
My shows usually start 10 - 15 minutes after the start time because for most of my shows the guests eat first. (I bring a recipe all ready to serve, then take the guests on a walk through the catalog. It's working well in my area--lots of time to touch on lots of different products.) I let everyone know what time we'll be starting as they arrive. I feel I need to be respectful of their time.

I do, however, like the "shopping spree" idea. What a great description of what our hosts earn. Hope you don't mind--I'm gonna borrow that one.

When I have shows where the guests eat first, I consider that "starting" on time. We've started with some part of the show! I'm trying to do more of the food already done part in my shows. I'm starting to have them eat first (unless they choose a quick family meal as their demo & I make dessert-eat that all together) & then go through the pages in the catalog that each of the products for the other demo (no bake) are on.

Belinda Ellsworth uses the "shopping spree" term in her tapes. There's another thread on here about her Step into Success tapes. I just got them yesterday & have been listening to them almost non-stop. They're great!

Sad to say, my shows hardly ever start on time. I had one host, who told me flat out that his friends all work on a different time than I did and that they would be late while I was prepping. Don't reallly mind it so much as it gave me more time to get to know him, plus make sure I was ready.

I guess for me, if the host and any guests who are there on time are ok with it, then it's ok with me. I always try to involve anyone who is there with something to not totally waste time.

Then again, I had a combo open house with Silpada this past week. The invitations said 6:30 to 9 and people started showing up at 6:15 and almost everyone stayed til 9:30 and would have stayed longer if the hostess didn't start moving them out.

Every show is different,just roll with the punches.

BTW.. I LOVE Belinda Ellsworth. She lives here in Michigan and I swear I am going to leave a thank you basket on her doorstep!

Used the "Shopping Spree" at my Thursday night show. People loved it, and I got two shows scheduled. Not bad. Gonna keep that one for a while. Thanks!

Just as there are bad PC consultants, (others have talked about them on here before), there are bad other Direct Sellers. Try not to have it be a reflection on the company.

I could never sell PL, b/c I don't know that many that need THAT many candles. But, they are the only candles I burn. The other ones don't burn as cleanly and make the air sooty, as well as make the filters dirty. Yuck! Also, I had Yankee Candle tea lights that I loved the smell of, but broke my candle holders that were a gift, b/c they had wax on the bottom of them that I never noticed. So, when I tried to remove the empty disk, they cracked.

As far as starting shows on time... well, I am always ready to go, but my hosts ALWAYS say, let's wait... I am expecting more people. So, on average, the show starts about 15 minutes late... which is why I always suggest make the show time 6:45 PM, and then we will actually start at 7.

I love to go to parties and anyone whoever has one can count on me to be there, unless I am working! I get some great ideas from other people's demos even tho it's a different product. You can always learn something from someone else. Even if it's simply - what not to do - like answer your cell phone! :)

Good luck, everyone! :)

I have to say I had to answer my cell phone during a show yesterday. I had a younger girl watching my 2 year old, and this is only the 2nd time she has, so she wanted to make sure she could give her a bath. Luckily everyone at my party understood, and nobody made a big deal about it, but I also explained the situation too. Although, I would never answer it for anybody else, not even my husband! unless they call non stop--then it better be an emergency!!!!--i also put my phone on vibrate when doing shows-except yesterday.

I also had to start my party on saturday an HOUR after the scheduled time, because at that time only 1 person had showed, and by 5 (hour and half after start time) 2 more showed up. That's it--although she told me 14!!!!! ugh, that was frustrating. but, with only 5 orders(2 outside) she's almost to $200, so I can't complain too badly. its better than $25!!!!!!

Ange: I would agree that answering your phone for a call like that is perfectly OK. Luckily, I haven't had an emeergencies at shows, but then I don't have kids yet!

But like someone else posted to make a person sitting there wait 20 minute while you talk is nuts!

I'd say if you have to leave your phone on as long as you explain why before you start it ok. Letting people know that you have a new babysitter and are a little worried or whatever the case maybe, I think people would understand. But just answering it and chatting with whoever about the weather is pretty rude. I go to huge business meeting all the time and there is always that one person who has to answer there phone in the middle of the meeting and chats with there buddy on the other end about "nothing".:eek:

Related to Went to a Party Lite Show And....

1. Why should I host a Party Lite show?

Hosting a Party Lite show is a great way to earn free products and discounts, as well as spend quality time with friends and family. Plus, you'll have the opportunity to see and try out the latest Party Lite products.

2. How do I earn rewards by hosting a Party Lite show?

As a Party Lite host, you can earn rewards based on the total sales at your show. The more your guests buy, the more free products and discounts you will receive. You can also earn rewards by booking future shows from your own show.

3. How long does a Party Lite show typically last?

A Party Lite show typically lasts around 2 hours, but it can vary depending on the number of guests and the amount of product demonstrations and activities. The host can work with the consultant to create a schedule that best fits the needs of the group.

4. Is there a minimum amount of sales required for a Party Lite show?

There is no minimum sales requirement for a Party Lite show. However, the more your guests purchase, the more rewards you can earn as a host. Your consultant can provide more information on the specific rewards program.

5. How do I become a Party Lite consultant?

If you're interested in becoming a Party Lite consultant, you can sign up through a current consultant or on the Party Lite website. You will receive training and support to help you start your own successful Party Lite business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MaryannNic
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mmilus
  • raebates
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Hillary
  • byrd1956