• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weird Situation - Dishonest Customer?

In summary, the host received 2 3-tiered stands instead of 1. The guest was trying to return the stand she didn't pay for, because she thought she ordered it with bowls.
chefmelody
I have a strange situation here. A host contacted me saying that one guest was not happy with her 3-tiered stand. She claimed she thought it came with 3 bowls, and wanted that. :rolleyes: I repeatedly tried to contact the customer directly to let her know that I could order 2 or 4 bowls, but not 3. The host gave me the 3-tiered stand back so I could "exchange it for 3 bowls." I again repeated that the bowls were in sets of 2 or 4, and that the guest had not returned my calls.

On a hunch, I checked my records for the show. Apparently, I'd screwed up and entered this woman's order twice. She only paid once, of course, by check. So... she apparently ended up with TWO 3-tiered stands, and was trying to return the one she hadn't paid for, to get an exchange! :eek: I even confirmed with HO that TWO 3-tiered stands were shipped for the show.

So here's my thing... I can't outright accuse the customer of lying and trying to return something she didn't pay for. But I also can't prove that the host didn't keep one of the stands for herself, then only give the guest one... who then wanted to exchange it for "3 bowls she thought came with it." Someone is being dishonest here, and I'm not sure who.

I'm returning the 3-tiered stand for credit back to my debit card. It was my mistake not to notice the discrepancy in orders, but... it was during the holidays and I was often making deposits for several shows at once. :eek:

So... what should I do if the customer FINALLY contacts me and insists on getting her exchange? :confused: I have no way to prove that she kept one stand... and I don't want to accuse her... but I also don't want to be out the money for this.

I hate to say this, but if you didn't notice that the order was entered twice, you need to "eat the cost." Also, the customer has up to a year to decide to return/exchange an item, so she needs to be able to get what she wants. I can see your point here, that she MAY be being dishonest, but I really don't know how you could figure it out without possibly really putting your foot in your mouth. (Like you said, how can you know who received the extra stand?) I would just chalk this up to a hard lesson learned for you....make sure you are balancing all of your orders before you transmit them. ***I am really not trying to sound uncaring about the whole thing! I just don't think there is an easy way to solve this situation! :)

How would the host know she didn't order two stands? On the packing slip it shows that 2 were ordered, not 1 ordered and 2 sent. I'd have to assume that the host sorted according to the packing slips - then and only then, if the packing slips didn't say the guest was supposed to receive 2 stands would I assume that host was being dishonest.

Based on what you've written I'm leaning towards the guest being dishonest or confused. If she got 2 stands as the packing slip said, she may have thought she ordered the stand and the bowls but got 2 stands instead (if she's not looking at her original receipt and is going by "memory").

Since you've checked with HO, you could honestly tell the guest that "A mistake was made and 2 stands were sent when only 1 was ordered and that HO requires it back" and offer 10-20% off the bowls when/if she orders.

Only you can know what to do to make it right - whether or not you want to eat the cost and make the exhange out of pocket. Honestly, I'd try to explain it as an Ordering/Processing Error and that HO needs to get this resolved. Since you have proof of what she paid and that receiving 2 stands exceeds what she paid you could legitimately ask for the the extra stand back to return, and the one ordered for the exchange.

1. OK, contact HO. Explain that you entered the order twice and ask for advice on it.

2. They know what you entered and can see if there are 2 duplicate orders.

3. It will print on the packing slip as 2 orders! They will also show what they shipped.

4. This goes to the host. She matches it up. She would have found duplicates of each thing if it was shipped twice. Ask HO if they should contact the host it was shipped to or you. HO can prove by weights with the size the stand is whether or not the duplicate was shipped (I'm assuming it was!!!). The host needs to be contacted and say that all the records and tracking show that the guests order was accidently entered twice (and you paid for it) and it was shipped and she needs to be asked if she gave the guest two orders or one so you can return the rest to HO.

Hopefully, once shown the facts, one will politely clarify how much she gave. Or you can at least get the story and if she tries to return one of each they can credit you back...

Once again though, talk to a SUPERVISOR at HO about the situation! It is an honest mistake gone ugly.

I would "assume positive intent." Assume that the guest 'thinks' she ordered the bowls to go with it and the wrong thing came. I'd leave a final message for her saying that you must speak to her about the order before proceeding and if you don't hear from her, you assume she is satisfied. Then go on with your life.

If she does call back, explain that you believe you entered it twice and could she help you by telling you what the check amount was. If she gets huffy and defensive, you can assume that she is dishonest. I would probably give her the bowls and write her off as someone you don't want to do business with. If she tells you the amount and you explain your mistake, hopefully she'll understand that you are human and order the bowls separately.
Keep us updated.

I would go to straight to the guest. When the host gets the show she sorts according to the slips, so, she would have no way of knowing she was delivering two when only one was ordered. The guest may think that since she got 2 stands she should have gotten one stand and the bowls and that is what is causing all of the confusion.

I would call the guest and tell her you were calling to discuss her returning one stand for the 3 bowls that go in the stand she has. Explain to her that you accidentally doubled her order and the she only ordered one stand and the additional stand will have to be returned to HO b/c only one stand was purchase. Offer to purchase the bowls for her and maybe offer free shipping or something. If she is local to you, you can always add them to a show and Pay the $4.00 shipping and deliver them to her.

I think in this situation the host does not need to be the go between. When she calls to check with you for the guest just explain that in return/exchange situations you need to speak directly with the guest. B/c you do not want anything misinterpreted and turned into a bigger mess.

Good points guys on speaking to the guest. I'd still first call HO, get a supervisor and check in with them. If she is being dishonest, she may get huffy, defensive and ugly. HOPEFULLY not!

Related to Weird Situation - Dishonest Customer?

1. How should I handle a dishonest customer?

The best way to handle a dishonest customer is to remain calm and professional. Politely ask them to explain their concerns and listen actively to their side of the story. Then, offer a solution that is fair for both parties.

2. What if the dishonest customer refuses to accept a solution?

If the dishonest customer refuses to accept a solution, it is important to document the situation and escalate it to a manager or supervisor. They can help mediate the situation and potentially find a resolution that satisfies both the customer and the company.

3. Should I confront the dishonest customer directly?

No, it is not recommended to confront a dishonest customer directly. This can escalate the situation and potentially make it more difficult to find a resolution. It is best to remain calm and professional and handle the situation through proper channels, such as speaking with a manager or supervisor.

4. How can I prevent dishonest customers in the future?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to prevent dishonest customers. However, having clear policies and procedures in place can help deter dishonest behavior. It is also important to have open and honest communication with customers and address any concerns they may have in a timely and fair manner.

5. What if the dishonest customer leaves a negative review or complaint online?

In the age of social media and online reviews, it is important to respond to all negative reviews or complaints in a professional and timely manner. Acknowledge their concerns and offer a resolution if possible. This shows potential customers that your company takes customer satisfaction seriously and is willing to address any issues that may arise.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
heather9892
  • kcjodih
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • beepampered