• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Utility Knife Rusting? Tips to Prevent & Fix Rust on Your Knives

In summary, rust can be a problem with PC Forged Cutlery, and you should dry your knives immediately after using them.
Becky0216
Has anyone had their knives rust? I noticed my utility knife that came with the kit is rusted already and I have only had it for 3 weeks.
Is this common?

Did you put it in the dishwasher?

You have to dry it immediately. A little bar keepers friend or even our new stainless cleaner should take the spots right off.

Hard water can be a problem too. We have horrible wate where I live, so, I definitely have to dry mine immediately. I had a litle on it at first but got it off and started making sure to completely dry ASAP and I have not had a problem since.

ok thanks. It was not in the dishwasher, but was in the sink overnight. I never had this problem with other knives (non pc) I hope the cleaner gets it off.

Becky0216 said:
ok thanks. It was not in the dishwasher, but was in the sink overnight. I never had this problem with other knives (non pc) I hope the cleaner gets it off.

Probably because your other knives are stainless steel, and the PC Forged Cutlery is a carbon steel. Carbon Steel will need a little more care, but you also get a finer, sharper edge on your knife.

jrstephens said:
Hard water can be a problem too. We have horrible wate where I live, so, I definitely have to dry mine immediately. I had a litle on it at first but got it off and started making sure to completely dry ASAP and I have not had a problem since.

That happened to me in my previous house where we had really hard water as well. Where I live now it's not as much of a problem.

DEFINITELY DO NOT leave them in a sink full of water overnight. YIKES! For rust and for safety reasons. I never ever ever put sharp knives in the water.

oh it was not in a sink full of water, just left in the sink and there was a bit of water left in there. Not even enought to cover it.
I will care for it better now. Thanks

One of my best customers told me she left her knives out to dry on the counter overnight and wondered why they had rust spots on them. When I told her that she had to dry them and not let them air dry, she was like, "OH!" Oops! She tried Bar Keepers Friend and the rust spots came off fine.

Fine cutlery should never be put in a dishwasher - when I go to someone's home and the wooden handles their wood-handled cutlery looks like it was issued to an infantryman in the Civil War, I know they just toss it in the dishwasher. I also know not to sell them any forged cutlery because they'll never take care of it properly.Also, NEVER use steel wool (Brillo, SOS, etc) because it will put deep scratches in the surface and rust will become a major problem after that. Bar Keepers Friend is the best.I always wash mine by hand, dry them immediately by hand (with microfiber, of course!) then let them sit out for a few minutes before putting them back into the plastic scabbards - that way, no moisture goes into the scabbard with the knives.

I keep forgetting to look for Bar Keepers Friend at the store!

1. Why is my utility knife rusting?

There are several reasons why your utility knife may be rusting. One common cause is exposure to moisture, which can cause the metal to oxidize and form rust. Another possibility is that the knife was not properly dried after use, allowing water to sit on the blade. Additionally, storing the knife in a humid environment or using it to cut acidic foods can also contribute to rust formation.

2. How can I prevent rust from forming on my utility knife?

To prevent rust on your utility knife, it is important to properly care for and store your knife. After each use, make sure to thoroughly dry the blade with a clean towel. Store the knife in a dry, well-ventilated area and avoid storing it in a sheath or in a drawer with other metal objects. You can also apply a thin layer of food-grade mineral oil to the blade to help protect it from moisture.

3. Can I remove rust from my utility knife?

Yes, it is possible to remove rust from your utility knife with a few simple steps. First, make a paste using equal parts baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the rusted areas and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, use a toothbrush or scrubbing pad to gently scrub the rust off the blade. Rinse the knife with water and dry it thoroughly. You can also use a rust eraser or steel wool to remove stubborn rust stains.

4. How often should I clean and maintain my utility knife?

It is important to clean and maintain your utility knife regularly to prevent rust and maintain its sharpness. After each use, make sure to wash the knife with warm, soapy water and dry it thoroughly. You can also sharpen the blade regularly to keep it in top condition. If you notice any rust forming, it is best to address it immediately to prevent further damage.

5. Can I use my utility knife to cut acidic foods?

It is generally not recommended to use a utility knife to cut acidic foods, as the acidic juices can corrode the metal and lead to rust formation. If you need to cut acidic foods, it is best to use a knife with a stainless steel blade or a knife specifically designed for cutting acidic foods. After use, make sure to thoroughly clean and dry the knife to prevent rust.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• FeliciaD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
pamperedbecky
  • kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies