• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Didn't Wash My Knife Quick Enough?

In summary, someone left their show the night before and brought all of their "stuff" into their house. They found rust spots and a small crack on the edge of their large bar pan.
laura062182
Ok, so I admit it! I left a late show the other night, brought all my "stuff" in the house and said forget I'll deal with it tomorrow! So I get up the next morning and start loading my stuff in the sink when I see rust spots on my 5 inch utility knife! What the HECK??? So I scrub and scrub with no avail. They are still there. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how do I fix it? Also I found a very small crack on the edge of my large bar pan. :( This was just my third show and I've been extremely careful with my products, so what could've happened? No extreme temperatures involved, no dropping involed. I don't know what is going on! Will HO replace my bar pan since I got it with my kit? How does that work? Thanks for the input!:)

If you used the knife and stone as the directions instruct and you are having problems with them, HO should replace them for you. Give Solutions Center a call... they have always been VERY nice and VERY helpful, even when I think my question is stupid.

BTW... Congrats on joining the business and welcome to our crazy little corner of cyberspace!

Don't use anything too harsh on the rust spots (like a steel wool pad, i.e. Brillo or SOS pads) because they will scratch the surface and make a bad situation even worse. Ask your DH if he has any rubbing compound out in the garage, and if not, buy some in the auto section of Wally World or at your local auto parts store. Put a little rubbing compound on a damp rag and gently rub the rust spot with it. After the rust stain has lifted, rinse the rubbing compound away and polish the area with a soft, dry rag. (I use cloth diapers for polishing and waxing my cars.)Rubbing compound has small granules of grit suspended in a liquid carrier that gently removes tarnish from automotive laquer finishes. It will also gently remove the rust stains from raw steel without leaving deep (and visible) scratches that steel wool will leave. Incidentally, those scratches left behind by steel wool are susceptible to even worse rust stains - that's why you don't want to use them on your cutlery!

I have called and had knives replaced b/c od rust spots. No problem at all. I have had my lay for a few days before washing with no problem - so far!

Thanks for the info guys! I have a show today, hopefully no one will want to see the knife up close and personal. I will call Solutions Center, then maybe get some "rubbing compound"? (DH isn't very handy :))

I have had this happen to many of my knives. A very good friend of mine bought the entire forged cutlery set and steak knives, and they all have rust on them. She left her steak knives in the sink overnight. The others she has washed and dried after using. I told her they could be sent back and replaced and she said forget it. She doesn't want to have to baby her knives. I just feel realy bad because they cost alot of money.

I am kind of anxious recommending them to anyone else. I don't know if it is our water down here or what.

I agreeI completely agree. I love these knives but, I don't want to push the sale of the cutlery if they are going to have rust spots! I work a full time job (12 hour shifts as a RN), I have 2 children (girls, 6 years and 3 months), my DH works second shift, and now I'm selling PC! I'm not complaining, I just really don't have time to worry about washing knives right away, and I know my customers don't either. I have a call into HO, just waiting for them to call me back.

Bar Keepers Friend works great. Just use a little bit and it takes the spots right off.

The spots can also be caused my your water. We have very hard water and my knives always get spots.

laura062182 said:
I completely agree. I love these knives but, I don't want to push the sale of the cutlery if they are going to have rust spots! I work a full time job (12 hour shifts as a RN), I have 2 children (girls, 6 years and 3 months), my DH works second shift, and now I'm selling PC! I'm not complaining, I just really don't have time to worry about washing knives right away, and I know my customers don't either. I have a call into HO, just waiting for them to call me back.
That is my concern for the knives as well! I know they are lifetime guarentee but I think people would be put off about rusting if left over night (I usually do this with all of my other knives except our forged cutlery) and it's tough to remember sometimes! My mom is a perfect example she just doesnt take the extra time to hand wash them and put them through the dishwasher and they have rust spots on them. Even though I told her to hand wash! I wish they were more durable for the price!

I have never had a problem like this with knives... I only have a few PC ones but my other knives I've had for nearly 15 years with no problem (I'd put them slightly below the forged cutlery in terms of quality). Forged steel shouldn't rust... iron rusts... maybe y'all have iron in your water that is causing the rust spots?

It's probably the iron in your or your host's water. I used to have rust problems with all my knives (PC or otherwise), but once I got a kick-@$$, state-of-the-art water softener, no more rust stains. I recommend Bar Keeper's Friends, as well, though.

BTW, we have moved our water softener THREE times we love it so much!

I don't have any problems with our knives except for the one time my husband left Tomato on one for a long period of time.

I spoke with someone at HO about this earlier today and they are going to replace it no questions asked. But it sounds like I might have the same problem again. I will try to find some of that Bar Keepers Friend. It just sucks that I will have to warn people that this will happen to their knives if they don't hand wash them right away. Especially with August's guest and host specials coming up. I already have one lady booked for August for that particular reason. I probablly do have iron in my water, but none of my non PC knives have done this?! I'm not really in the market for a water softener just for this reason. Oh well. At least I didn't have to worry about anyone wanting to see the knife at my show tonight, because
NO ONE showed up! I think I'm hijacking my own thread, but let me tell you, it SUCKED!!! No outside orders either! I politely told the host I had to have at least $150 in orders for it to even be considered a show. She said she could do it, but to say the least I'm worried! I have to have this show submitted by the 21st to go toward my 30 day rewards! I currently have $1229 in product sales from my three other shows. Gosh this stinks! Say a prayer for me!

Just MHO here, but I wouldn't warn people that they have to wash their knives immediately... the problem isn't the knives, it's the water. My friend growing up lived in an area that had formerly been an ironworks (the development was called that!) and she had so much iron in her water that it left a red deposit on the tile, and it stunk like sulphur to boot. And I am sorry that you had a stinky show--keep your fingers crossed, you never know what will happen. I had one similar to that just a few weeks ago, the lady never did come up with enough to close the show, so the two small orders from her show are getting added to my HWC fundraiser. If I were you and was that close to getting $100 PC dollars, I would just order something for myself to get to 1250--the extra bonuses will make it worth it in the long run.

could the difference be well water versus city? both can be hard/soft etc... and my well water leaves iron ring deposits on my tub, shower and sink, and if I am not careful on my silverware run through the dishwasher, it not the item itself that's a problem but the water sorce in this case my well which has high iron deposits in it.... I know this kinda of says what others have said I just went a little further

I just don't understand why this has never happened with any other knives I own. might be a stupid question, but are these knives made from a different kind or metal? Don't laugh if that is a really dumb question! :)

laura062182 said:
I just don't understand why this has never happened with any other knives I own. might be a stupid question, but are these knives made from a different kind or metal? Don't laugh if that is a really dumb question! :)

I have no idea, I was wondering that myself, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the forged steel has some magnetic properties? If that is the case it would attract the iron in the water and make it "stick", thus giving it a chance to rust. When we were kids we used to put a magnet on a string and go "fishing" for iron in the streams, and little iron filings will come out of the water and stick to the magnet. did HO give you any answers when you called?

I just looked around online and found that salt is a rusting agent, so maybe if you are using the knife for salty foods it is increasing the corrosive effect on whatever other minerals are in your water. Everything else I"m seeing about forged steel just talks about how it is rust and stain resistant... so go figure.:confused:

I dont know.. I dont understand alot of things (shrug shoulders here) I can think of a few "funny" responses but nothing serious

When I called HO I told the lady what was happening. She didn't ask any questions, just gave me a reference number and said the knife was in the mail. She didn't seem real surprised or concerned or anything. I think that is funny that your research says forged steel is rust resistant, the only forged knife I have is the only knife that has rust spots. But smart thinking about the magnetic thing. I guess it's possible?

laura062182 said:
I have to have this show submitted by the 21st to go toward my 30 day rewards! I currently have $1229 in product sales from my three other shows. Gosh this stinks! Say a prayer for me!

If I were that close I'd place an online individual order and get either the HWC cupst (great mother's day presents for next year) and/or something that you don't have but would love to have. The payoff: spend 21 to get 100 so even after the expense you'll get $79.

Another thing to do is email all your friends and family letting them know you are close to a goal and just need a few orders to meet your goals.

Or if you have a birthday coming up ask your husband or parents to get you something you want from PC to meet the goal.

tlennhoff said:
If I were that close I'd place an online individual order and get either the HWC cupst (great mother's day presents for next year) and/or something that you don't have but would love to have. The payoff: spend 21 to get 100 so even after the expense you'll get $79.

Another thing to do is email all your friends and family letting them know you are close to a goal and just need a few orders to meet your goals.

Or if you have a birthday coming up ask your husband or parents to get you something you want from PC to meet the goal.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!! Spend the $21 to get to your goal! You get the $ and the satisfaction of making it!!! I did that to get my plus bonus for month 3 (plus bonus was under the old super starter program) and even though I spent the last $30 to get to the goal, it felt SO good to have gotten there... MUCH better than forever being frustrated that I didn't make it!

Congrats on such a great start to your business!!!! Woo Hoo for You!!

Related to Didn't Wash My Knife Quick Enough?

What can happen if I don't wash my knife quick enough?

If you don't wash your knife quick enough, it can lead to cross-contamination of bacteria from one food to another. This can potentially cause foodborne illness and affect the taste and quality of your food.

How long is too long to wait before washing my knife?

Ideally, you should wash your knife immediately after use to prevent any bacteria from multiplying. But if you can't wash it right away, make sure to wash it within 2 hours to minimize the risk of cross-contamination.

What is the best way to wash my knife?

The best way to wash your knife is by hand using hot, soapy water. Make sure to clean both the blade and handle thoroughly, including any crevices or joints where bacteria can hide. Rinse with hot water and dry with a clean towel.

Can I put my knife in the dishwasher instead of hand-washing it?

We do not recommend putting your knife in the dishwasher as the harsh detergents and high heat can damage the blade and handle. Hand-washing is the safest and most effective method for cleaning your knife.

How can I prevent cross-contamination when using my knife?

To prevent cross-contamination, make sure to wash your knife between each use or when switching between cutting different types of food. You can also use separate cutting boards for raw meats and other foods, and wash your hands frequently while cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gratergirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • avelissar
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
flemings99
Replies