• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! My Knife is Rusting - What Can I Do?

In summary, rust forms on knives when exposed to oxygen and moisture, and can be prevented by drying the knife after use, storing it in a dry place, and regularly oiling it. It is not recommended to use a rusted knife as it can contaminate food and affect its performance. Rust can be removed using various methods, but prevention is the best approach. Lemon juice and vinegar are not recommended for preventing rust on knives as they can damage the metal.
melaniepc
anyone have any idea what I can tell this customer? I have no clue...

I had a quick question concerning my knife I purchased from Pamp. Chef. It is rusting and I don't know why. I don't keep water on it or let food sit on it so I am not sure what is causing this. If you could give any info that would be great.

Tell her it can be replaced for free - they have a lifetime warranty.

I was just curious as to why is all. she has only had them a month

I found that water quality makes a difference. At my old house (where we had bad water) I would get spots that looked like rust. It was simply mineral deposits. A little Bar Keepers Friend or our Stainless cleaner takes them right off.

they will also develop rust spots if washed in the dishwasher. CLR can be applied to the spots and rubbed away in most cases.

Good knives shouldn't be put in the dishwasher at all. They'll bump up against things, and the detergent is so abrasive that it will dull them.

Mine sometimes have rust spots. Use Mr. Clean Sponges, works great. I haven't been up aginst anything yet that it won't clean. It even took crayon off of a shower. (From a previous tenat.)

Our stainless cleaner works wonderfully! I accidently left my entire set of forged steak knives soaking overnight (I know, but I just got busy and then forgot) only to wake up to them covered in rust. I decided to try using the stainless cleaner since I thought I'd ruined them completely, so, what could it hurt? That stuff works awesome!

Related to Help! My Knife is Rusting - What Can I Do?

1. Why is my knife rusting?

Rust is formed when iron or steel is exposed to oxygen and moisture, causing a chemical reaction that breaks down the metal. If your knife is left wet or in a humid environment, it can start to rust.

2. How can I prevent my knife from rusting?

To prevent rust, make sure to dry your knife immediately after use. You can also store it in a dry place, such as a knife block or a drawer with a moisture-absorbing material like silica gel packets. Additionally, regularly oiling your knife can help create a barrier against moisture.

3. Can I still use a rusted knife?

It is not recommended to use a rusted knife as the rust can contaminate your food and potentially cause health issues. It can also affect the sharpness and performance of the knife.

4. How can I remove rust from my knife?

You can remove rust from your knife by scrubbing it with a mixture of baking soda and water, using a rust remover or vinegar, or using a rust eraser. However, prevention is key, so it's important to properly care for your knives to avoid rust in the first place.

5. Can I prevent rust on my knives using lemon juice or vinegar?

Lemon juice and vinegar can be effective in removing rust from knives, but they are not recommended for preventing rust. These acidic substances can actually damage the metal and cause it to rust more easily. Stick to proper cleaning and storage methods to prevent rust on your knives.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • j&k'smom