• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Any Options for Replacing a Dull Utility Knife Without a Receipt?

In summary, the woman was very unhappy with her PC knife because it was very dull and she didn't know how to get it sharpened again. She had been using it for years and it had gotten worse over time. She tried to take it to her husband to sharpen it, but it was no use. She was considering returning it, but was worried about the cost. I told her that she could either send the knife in for warranty replacement or try to remember the show/hostess she bought it from and call them.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I was at a show the other night and a lady came up to me and said that she has our self sharpening paring knife and utility knife. She loves the paring knife, but absolutely hates the utility one. She said it is as dull as a butter knife. She said it is very old because it doesn't look like mine and no one before me ever told her to keep her receipts and it had been so long she couldn't even remember the consultant or host she made the purchase from. Is there anything she can do to get this knife sharp again. She said that she was very disappointed in this product and usually love PC stuff. I wasn't sure what to say, because it looks like this lady will be a very good customer(not a hostess, I tried).
Any suggestions?

Leslie

My husband sharpens my knife for me but I would suggest that she sends it back in Sept and requests the new knife and pay the difference , Or give her a discount on the new knife.

Wouldn't work
cla519 said:
My husband sharpens my knife for me but I would suggest that she sends it back in Sept and requests the new knife and pay the difference...

This idea wouldn't work because the old knives are still in the catalog, so they will replace it with the same. It sounds like she has had the knife for several years. You can only return for a full refund for the first year, even if the warranty is longer. The warranty covers replacement only after the first year, not a refund.

I know that the utility knife tends to be used the most because of its size, and it could be she wasn't "honing" it enough. I would definitely help her exchange it so she knows you are customer service oriented. I would then make sure she knows to "hone" it often, and to make sure she takes care of the case properly. A lot of people don't know that the case won't work properly if it gets submerged in water (I didn't...:p )

I have heard that if you call HO and explain why the customer has no receipt on a lifetime warranty item, they will usually honor it. If they don't the first call, I would call back and speak to another rep...

HTH...

I know the knife is very old because she said that the handle looks different and the case is shaped differently. I might just call her and see if I can work something out with her. She jokingly said she has had it for 15+ years.

Here's what I did with similar situationI was doing a show, one of my first 10, and a woman approached me and said she used to love our SSK, but that her's were no longer sharp, no matter how often she ran through sharpener. Well they were old style, like I've got at home, as I've been a PC junkie for almost 20 years. Well anyway, I took them with me and the receipts she could find (her daughter used to sell PC) and called HO for her. They found where she'd bought them and I sent them back for her (didn't want her to have to spend the $, as I think it's good customer service) anyway, I sent them back and she got brand new SSK from PC, as they have a lifetime warranty. So I'd call her, have her dig out her receipts, or try and remember time/hostess/show that she got them from and call PC for her and send them back.

HTH,
Lisa

Sometimes if she doesn't have a very common name, HO can look it up with just their names!! I always had to guess at my time frames because my maiden name was Johnson. And I always knew at least who my consultant was but it's still a nightmare!!! If she can guess at least a year and doesn't have a common name, they may be able to look it up for you!!!

Leslie,

It's possible if she's had the knife for so long that the ceramic in the sharpening case is no longer effective (or completely gone!). I would call customer service and explain the situation; I'm sure they will work with you to get this customer a replacement. If you don't get a reasonable answer at first, either call again until you do or ask for a supervisor. I even have one of the old sharpening cases for your customer as a last resort.

Mary

Hopefully she has her receipt!! If so she can call PC at our 888 number and tell them that it is dull. They will tell her how to send the old one in the self sharpening case to them and they will send her a new one - probably the one currently in the catalog. They will not send her a forged knife even if she waits till fall because that is a different kind of knife.

If she doesn't have the receipt she should still call pc. It would help if she knew the consultant or host's name or other information about the show but sometimes they do honor a guarantee without the receipt. It depends on a lot of factors but it is worth a try!

My neighbor had a utility knife with no receipt and no idea when it was purchased. She told me it was a gift.

I called the HO and they replaced it for her no problem.

What types of knives are recommended for everyday use?

For everyday use, we recommend having a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a serrated bread knife. These three knives will cover most of your cutting needs in the kitchen.

How often should I sharpen my knives?

It is recommended to sharpen your knives every 3-6 months, depending on how often you use them. Regular sharpening will help maintain the sharpness and longevity of your knives.

What is the best way to store knives?

The best way to store knives is in a knife block or on a magnetic strip. This will keep them easily accessible and also protect the blades from getting dull by rubbing against other utensils.

How do I properly care for my knives?

To properly care for your knives, always hand wash them with warm soapy water and dry them immediately. Avoid putting them in the dishwasher as the high heat and harsh detergents can damage the blades. Also, make sure to store them properly to prevent dulling or damage.

Can I use my knives for other tasks besides cutting food?

No, it is not recommended to use your kitchen knives for other tasks such as opening packages or prying items open. This can damage the blades and make them less effective for cutting food. It's best to use the appropriate tool for each task to ensure the longevity of your knives.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedtiffani
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
koren
  • chefbritt
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefTS
  • christina78