• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Using Supplies From Ebay a Good Idea for New Consultants on a Budget?

Independent Consultant Agreement/3-(6) Cooking Show Invitation/40-Drawing Slip/100-New Consultants Rewards Brochure/20-Opportunity Brochure/20-Show Planner/15-Season’s Best Recipe Collection/6-Tabletop Flip Chart Binder + 3 Inserts-Executive Cookware Display Cards-Cutlery Techniques Display CardsCath
Beth.......and Ladies...I need to know what other supplies I need to purchase....Bring It On! LOL!

I thought Avon was first...

- Recruiting brochures (Your life, your way)
- Recruiting DVDs
- PP/P3 receipt paper (for printing official receipts from the software)

oh, wait - you mean from the office supply store!
Pens, highlighters
Stamp Pad refill ink
file folders
folders or envelopes to use as host packs
thumb drive (for storing software backup and all the great files you'll find here)
LABELS - for catalogs, invitations, all sorts of things
rubber bands (I put stickers on postcards, then rubber band them back into the original packs of 40)
colored paper (for flyers)
organizer for colored paper and labels

You actually can do this business with very little additional expenditure. Don't go nuts and blow your first commission check before you get it. :D

Denarella said:
....and Ladies...I need to know what other supplies I need to purchase....Bring It On! LOL!
So... I'm not a lady??:eek: :p

No Silly......I was directing the question to you and then I said to myself "Self...don't offend everyone else" and I also wanted EVERYONE'S input. :eek:

Questions...Thumb drives....heard of but never used....expensive?

It's a USB flash drive. Not expensive. Handier than floppies, which many systems don't have today anyway.

And other silly question follows....What is this Motivational Calendar you speak of in your footnote? I often shop Cafe Press for gifts and I saw the calendar but you can't see IN it....what is it actually? Wall Calendar, desk calendar? What's special about it....pardon my ignorance!

Okay then...

If you don't have a laptop then be sure you have at least one good calculator.

It also helps most people to have something more stable to write their order out on so for now I would either get some folders (the ones that are only a couple cents for back to school) or some binders and make some lapboards (Ann has given instructions for that).

You will need pens.

A system to keep track of your leads - a notebook, file folder or use the P3 program - whatever works for you.

Labels or a stamp to make sure everything has your contact info on it.

Business cards - make your own or go to vistaprint for now. (You can also get a stamp at www.vistaprint.com or you can go to www.AmericasStampDepot.com (both sites offer free stampers - just have to pay shipping) and I'm sure there are other sites too.

Other than that everything else can wait until you have a couple of paychecks!

If you haven't gotten your paperwork from PC yet there is a lot in there for you - including a calendar.

E-bay is a great place to buy promotional items that ex-consultants are trying to get rid of.

Thumb drives....heard of but never used....expensive?
I would be lost without mine! I take it everywhere with me and my whole "life" is on it! It's great to keep all your docs with you and have them handy.

Go Beth...Go Beth....Its your BirthdayTHANK YOU!

Im not sure how am I going to organize my leads...something I need to work on....

I do have a laptop and one of those Calculators with the paper thingy on the back.

My avon stuff should do nicely. With Avon, I had new catalogs every other week, the stuff was shipped to me. I had to sort. I had to do invoices. I had to bag it. I had to bring it all in a crate on wheels and lug it into work and dish it out. It really stinks. All of my menial money I received went to MORE catalogs and supplies and samples. Its just not worth it....

What kind of filing system works for you with this? Do you recommend some sort of flexible filing thingy to put stuff in for now?

Lastly, what do you carry your kitchen stuff into parties with?

I did buy some stuff from ebay within the last two days but apparently thats a big no no especially when I dont know what Im looking for yet or if its up to date stuff.

Denarella said:
What is this Motivational Calendar you speak of in your footnote? I often shop Cafe Press for gifts and I saw the calendar but you can't see IN it....what is it actually? Wall Calendar, desk calendar? What's special about it....pardon my ignorance!
The calendar is something I put together based on a suggestion from someone here. It's a perpetual calendar - month and date, no days of the week, with 4 days per 2-page spread. Each day has a quote, tip or reminder for PC consultants. Near the beginning of each month, there's a page of the month-long celebrations and recognized days for that month (like national frozen food month, and hot fudge sundae day). I've attached a sample of the first few pages. It's spiral bound, so you can lay it flat on a desk or prop it up in a plate stand (for holding collectibles).

Attachments

• CS Calendar Sample.doc
    43.5 KB · Views: 433
Great Job Ann!What a great idea!!!!!

Dena,
If you have filing supplies and things from Avon, I wouldn't buy any more until you see things and figure out what you need for the way you want to do business. Everybody runs their home office a little differently, and what works for one may not work for another.

Obviously, things like stapler, pens, tape, sticky notes can and will be used by everyone. But some people like a filing cabinet. Others like bins that they store in a bookcase and can tote around the house.

I know that......and YOU know that, Ann. But what my addiction to office supplies! LOL....you're absolutely right and I have most of those things right now. Im thinking about buying simple lables to put on my folders to have for my shows in September since I will not have my website address until then. At that point, I will get my stamp/business cards. What information is crucial on the labels? Name/address/phone? Anything else needed?

I, too, have an addiction to office supplies that I'm working on overcoming. :D

Get the Avery 5160 or equivalent labels - they're the 30 to a page address labels. They're the most convenient for all sorts of things. You can then print your own info on them as you need more (so you can add your web address as soon as you get it). They also allow you to use a larger font than ordering pre-printed return address labels. On my catalogs, I have a label with:
Ann S.
Independent Consultant
home phone • cell phone
email address
web address

I also order labels from www.superfastprinting.com. They have rolls of 300 address labels FREE(!). We love free around here. They're the perfect size to put on the recipe cards we can order from HO to distribute to customers.

Many people don't put their street address on their cards, because you never know what weirdo will end up with it. Hosts and customers can get it from you if they need it. My next set of business cards will NOT have my street address on them.

Chock full of tips you are!Thank you....You're absolutely right about the address. Its not necessary until the host needs it to send checks. I absolutely love this site and thanks to all of you ladies. You are amazing (and very patient with the rookies!). I just want to be prepared and make everyone (family and recruiter) proud!

Denarella said:
THANK YOU!

Im not sure how am I going to organize my leads...something I need to work on....

I do have a laptop and one of those Calculators with the paper thingy on the back.

My avon stuff should do nicely. With Avon, I had new catalogs every other week, the stuff was shipped to me. I had to sort. I had to do invoices. I had to bag it. I had to bring it all in a crate on wheels and lug it into work and dish it out. It really stinks. All of my menial money I received went to MORE catalogs and supplies and samples. Its just not worth it....

What kind of filing system works for you with this? Do you recommend some sort of flexible filing thingy to put stuff in for now?

Lastly, what do you carry your kitchen stuff into parties with?
I use Pampered Partner, my calendar and a notebook. I'm not as efficient as I should be. Keep a notebook for now and a file system to keep receipts, etc. for taxes.

I have crates that PC used to give us and tote bags. I use the Show to Go tote (large, roomy for big lightweight things), tool turnabout tote and a crate but am weaning down to just one tote and the TTA tote (plus my paperwork tote and laptop. That's still 4 things! You will get a tote with your kit and everything in the kit fits nicely in it. Get in the good habit of taking as little as you can - the catalog pics can sell most everything!

We love helping rookies, because that means that somebody is having success recruiting! And in a few months, you'll be helping out the new rookies. :)

I've read the posts regarding the toteSeems they break easily? I do like my little crate on wheels and I do have two of those as well. Im quite anxious to get on this PC computer system thingy.....sounds amazing!

Just got an email from my recruiter. It seems when I do sign up and become and stay active, it makes her a director. She's quite excited (who wouldn't be) and is grateful that she will be able to train us more efficiently....Im soo excited!

Thanks again for your suggestions, Beth and Ann....I will keep reading...don't feel you're EVER crowding my brain...I LOVE IT!!!! :D

Denarella said:
Seems they break easily? I do like my little crate on wheels and I do have two of those as well. Im quite anxious to get on this PC computer system thingy.....sounds amazing!

Just got an email from my recruiter. It seems when I do sign up and become and stay active, it makes her a director. She's quite excited (who wouldn't be) and is grateful that she will be able to train us more efficiently....Im soo excited!

Thanks again for your suggestions, Beth and Ann....I will keep reading...don't feel you're EVER crowding my brain...I LOVE IT!!!! :D
WHAT??? You haven't SIGNED yet??? What's keeping you! Get on that website and do it!! (oh, wait! Me! Pick me! You can join my team! JUST KIDDING!! -not - yes I am - kidding that is.:rolleyes: ) Call your recruiter and get her info and get going! YOU ARE READY! Take the plunge!

[If you already have crates use them!]

I'm greedy...and I wanted to get my parties in within 30 days. If I start now, I'll never do it because my son's all star tournment starts and we go on vacation. So Im signing up the day before vacation (August 23) and my package will be waiting for me when I get home! This way everyone's summer vacations are done my sister will be back at school with her teacher friends who will buy lots of stuff and all is well. I didn't want to take a chance and have to get the 90 day stuff...I want it all BAY BAY!!!!:D

Sounds like a plan, Dena!
Ask your recruiter if she can get a QuickStart box from her Director. That's a box with all the non-product stuff that comes in the kit (all the paperwork, computer program, etc.). If you get your hot little hands on it now, you can get host packs out to those first hosts, read through the policies manual, and play with the software.

Is there a pocket version of you?!You rock! Wont she be surprised if I whip out the "quickstart' question out of nowhere! Does she have to be a director to have one?

Nevermind...you answered that...

Yes- only Directors can get them. Many directors order them several at a time, though, and distribute them to team members who are on a recruiting roll.
(BTW- I am known as the know-it-all around here. LOL)

My email to her was..."no chance of you having a Quickstart Box is there? Snicker Snicker"

Denarella said:
You rock! Wont she be surprised if I whip out the "quickstart' question out of nowhere! Does she have to be a director to have one?
Yes but she may be able to get one from her director depending on when you take the plunge. I ordered some new ones on the first day we were allowed to (July 24) and it hasn't shipped yet.

If she doesn't have one don't worry - the kit only takes a few days to get to you. My new recruit signed about 4 hours after I ordered the quick start boxes and I bet she gets her kit before I get the boxes! (That usually is not the case but during the change-over month things run a little different.)

That's good! She'll be blown away that you knew to ask. :D

chefann said:
Yes- only Directors can get them. Many directors order them several at a time, though, and distribute them to team members who are on a recruiting roll.
(BTW- I am known as the know-it-all around here. LOL)
Yeah and she never works at her day job so noone else can get a word in edgewise!:p

JK Ann - you know I love you!

I'm never going to catch up on posts! ...at one time I had MORE than Ann! <tears flowing>

Last edited:
Do you find...post people book shows on weeknights?

Denarella said:
post people book shows on weeknights?
It really depends on the group and when what you make yourself available. If you want weekends offer weekends (they're really popular around here). If you want to work Tuesday and Thursday tell them that's when you are available. It's your business to do your way around your life.

chefann said:
thumb drive (for storing software backup and all the great files you'll find here)

Ok Ann, I can't believe you call them a thumb drive! That hasn't been used by anyone I know since they FIRST came out!!!! ...and thumb drive is patented now.

Common names (depending on the manufacturer - it's a Kleenex vs. Tissue type debate, Xerox vs. copy, etc.):
USB drive
Jump Drive
Flash Drive
Super Stick

Technically, I believe the proper industry name for them is now USB flash drive.

BethCooks4U said:
Yeah and she never works at her day job so noone else can get a word in edgewise!:p
Did you catch up while I went downstairs to Ben and Jerry's for a cone?

No?
Too bad, so sad!

{hugs}

chefann said:
Did you catch up while I went downstairs to Ben and Jerry's for a cone?

No?
Too bad, so sad!

{hugs}
Wondered why there were no Ann posts for ...oh 5 minutes!

Hello! I don't have super-fingers like you (faster than a speeding bullet!).

REALLY! We are not fighting! We love each other - you know, like sisters!:eek:

Do you want me to mail you some of my Triple Caramel Chunk?
The Lemon Meringue Pie flavor is all gone already.

chefann said:
Do you want me to mail you some of my Triple Caramel Chunk?
The Lemon Meringue Pie flavor is all gone already.
Is there chocolate in it?? Yes send me some!

There's very little chocolate in it. It's caramel flavored ice cream with a ribbon of caramel and chocolate-covered caramels in it.

You won't like it.

Oh- and I had it in a waffle cone!

(stupid 30-second rule!)

mmmmm............ we don't have a Ben & Gerry's here. It really sounds good. Now where did I stash that chocolate!

I actually have the ingredients to do the new chocolate bliss recipe with the brownie and caramel in the house but it's for the meeting on Saturday.

...Maybe they can have left overs.

That brownie recipe is good even as leftovers! I've got some from Friday in a storage container at home. They're good for breakfast with a cup of coffee. :)

That settles it! I'm not sharing! - the diet can wait!

Okay. I found a Klondike Caramel Pretzel Bar in the freezer. This will do.

You all can go on with your conversations while I enjoy!

BethCooks4U said:
Okay. I found a Klondike Caramel Pretzel Bar in the freezer. This will do.
Those are my FAVORITE! I don't get one tonight because I just had ice cream.

who are we speaking of?

Is the pay back forthe whole "lady" fiasco? :p

<h2>1. Is it a good idea for new consultants on a budget to use supplies from Ebay?</h2><p>It can be a good idea for new consultants to use supplies from Ebay, as long as they are purchasing from reputable sellers and the items are in good condition. This can be a cost-effective way to acquire supplies for your business. However, it is important to make sure that the supplies you purchase are in line with the quality and branding of Pampered Chef products.</p><h2>2. Are there any recommendations for or against using supplies from Ebay?</h2><p>Some consultants may recommend using supplies from Ebay, as it can be a budget-friendly option. However, others may suggest purchasing directly from Pampered Chef to ensure the quality and consistency of your supplies. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and what works best for your business.</p><h2>3. What supplies should I prioritize purchasing first?</h2><p>As a new consultant, it is important to prioritize purchasing supplies that will help you showcase and demonstrate Pampered Chef products at your shows. This may include order forms, invitations, business cards, and other marketing materials. Additionally, investing in a few cookbooks can also be beneficial for showcasing recipes and product uses to potential customers.</p><h2>4. Are there any other ways to cut corners and save money as a new consultant?</h2><p>Aside from purchasing supplies from Ebay, you can also consider hosting virtual parties or partnering with other consultants to split the cost of supplies. Utilizing social media and other free marketing platforms can also help save on advertising costs. Additionally, setting a budget and sticking to it can help you make smart purchasing decisions and avoid overspending.</p><h2>5. Any other tips for new consultants starting out on a budget?</h2><p>Don't be afraid to reach out to more experienced consultants for advice and tips on how to save money while building your business. Also, consider taking advantage of any promotions or discounts offered by Pampered Chef. Lastly, remember to prioritize your purchases and only invest in supplies that will truly benefit your business and help you achieve your goals.</p>

1. Is it a good idea for new consultants on a budget to use supplies from Ebay?

It can be a good idea for new consultants to use supplies from Ebay, as long as they are purchasing from reputable sellers and the items are in good condition. This can be a cost-effective way to acquire supplies for your business. However, it is important to make sure that the supplies you purchase are in line with the quality and branding of Pampered Chef products.

2. Are there any recommendations for or against using supplies from Ebay?

Some consultants may recommend using supplies from Ebay, as it can be a budget-friendly option. However, others may suggest purchasing directly from Pampered Chef to ensure the quality and consistency of your supplies. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and what works best for your business.

3. What supplies should I prioritize purchasing first?

As a new consultant, it is important to prioritize purchasing supplies that will help you showcase and demonstrate Pampered Chef products at your shows. This may include order forms, invitations, business cards, and other marketing materials. Additionally, investing in a few cookbooks can also be beneficial for showcasing recipes and product uses to potential customers.

4. Are there any other ways to cut corners and save money as a new consultant?

Aside from purchasing supplies from Ebay, you can also consider hosting virtual parties or partnering with other consultants to split the cost of supplies. Utilizing social media and other free marketing platforms can also help save on advertising costs. Additionally, setting a budget and sticking to it can help you make smart purchasing decisions and avoid overspending.

5. Any other tips for new consultants starting out on a budget?

Don't be afraid to reach out to more experienced consultants for advice and tips on how to save money while building your business. Also, consider taking advantage of any promotions or discounts offered by Pampered Chef. Lastly, remember to prioritize your purchases and only invest in supplies that will truly benefit your business and help you achieve your goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• niccibyrd
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
chefallison53
  • Kelly8
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
Replies