• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Laptop for the First Time Tonight - Any Tips?

that way I knew who was coming and didn't have to keep calling people by name. I did the math on my laptop before hand. I also had a cheat sheet with the totals for the show. I recited the totals as they came up to the guests. I also announced at the beginning of the show that I had my "handy-dandy 'notebook'....computer" with me. So they didn't have to worry about any math.I would definitely recommend having a laptop. It was great not having to worry about the totals and just having everything ready to go. It also made it easy to talk to the guests as I knew who was coming in.
jrstephens
I am using it for the first time tonight at my show. Does anyone have any pointers or anything I need to know to make things run smoothly?

When I get everything set up, I start P3, then close the lid of the laptop. It never fails, when I forget to do that, that's the show with a guest who needs to leave right away and can't wait for the program to start up.

If you have a portable mouse, take it. P3 is too hard to use with the trackpad (IMO).

Thanks, I had not thought about starting it when I got there. I have a USB mouse that I am taking. I am hoping Russell gets me a wireless mouse for my birthday.

If you sent the invites for your Host, enter all the guest info, even if they don't show they will be connected to that Host.

Glad this thread came up because I just got a laptop and I am in the process of getting it set up. So thanks for the info. I love the start it up when you get there idea.

If you don't have a 10-key numeric pad on your laptop you might want to buy an external one. I am lost w/o that!

I have the guests read their items off to me, to avoid transposing numbers or reading the wrong line. They read the number, and I recite the item that comes up to verify. It works well, and allows me one-on-one time them, as well as helping me focus on cross selling more..."I see your getting the rectangle stone...I must tell you that you should get the rack for it as well. Makes it much easier to get out of the oven, and doubles as a stand!", and that such thing.

I also announce at the beginning of the show that I have my "handy-dandy 'notebook'....computer" with me, so that the guests don't have to worry about any math. The handy-dandy notebook always gets a laugh from the "Blue's Clues" set.

Good luck tonight...enjoy that laptop. Made all the difference for me at my shows!

I agree start P3 before the show. Sometimes it takes awhile for it to come up. I too have the guest read the item # to me along with the quantity wanted. It seems to work well doing it that way.

I would be totally lost without my laptop being at every show. It is just so much easier to enter everything and get the totals right!

I LOVE my laptop at shows! Since it does the math (like someone said earlier in the thread), I always tell everyone not to worry about the total until they are ready to enter it in...then I fill in the numbers on their order form and make sure they understand the "math" as it's added in.
I also like the fact that I can sit with the host afterward and show her where we currently stand. That way I'm not "guessing" on how much more she needs to make the next level, how many half-price items she's getting, etc. It also makes it wonderful to adjust which items should be half-price to help her get the best deal for her dollar, because she sees the difference between making item A half-price instead of item B.
Fire your laptop up early, like someone mentioned...very helpful. I keep a slideshow of my twins (two year olds) on my desktop, so that if anyone sees it and asks about them I can make sure I mention that PC gives me the opportunity to work from home and be home with my kids...and wouldn't they love to talk about a PC business of their own, too?

Thanks everyone! I will post tomorrow how it went. I am so excited to have it!!! I will be leaving in a few minutes to go to my show.

She is suppose to have at least 15 guest there. I am excited about that too b/c most of mine around here average 5-6 at the show. And she is turning in by the 9th to help me get the tablecloth! I am giving her a $15 product for free for helping me if she turns it in by the 9th. If she gets to a $500 show like she wants that wil make me not be paying much after my commission and use her host discount.

Wonderful!Used my laptop last night. It wsa great! I turned it on when I first got there like yall said. As people came in if I knew them, I entered their name in. Then those that I did not as I introduced myself I put them in or asked the host their name if I did not catch it all. I entered the rest of there info later when they were eatin and in between orders.

I sold two small scoops b/c of it too. Usually I do not "really" look at what they order. I glance and retotal for them but do not concentrate on it. Well, since I was seeing it pop up on the screen. The two that bought mini muffin pans, I sold the scoop to go with it to them.

It also reminded me to ask about the "Rounding Up." I always forget to mentin that at shows but when I was giving them their total last night and saw the icon it reminded me. Almost everyone rounded up.

I was glad I took my USB mouse b/c like Ann recommended a mouse is so much better when entering shows instead of the little finger pad.

A numeric pad like Linda talked about would be good too but I will hold off on that for a while to see if I get more use to using the numbers about the letters. I use those a lot at work so, it should not take a lot of adjustment for me.

I loved coming home and not having to enter orders! My feet were swollen and killing me when I got home, so, it was great just to kick back and not have to do that!

Thanks for your tips ladies!!!!

jrstephens said:
Used my laptop last night. It wsa great! I turned it on when I first got there like yall said. As people came in if I knew them, I entered their name in. Then those that I did not as I introduced myself I put them in or asked the host their name if I did not catch it all. I entered the rest of there info later when they were eatin and in between orders.

I sold two small scoops b/c of it too. Usually I do not "really" look at what they order. I glance and retotal for them but do not concentrate on it. Well, since I was seeing it pop up on the screen. The two that bought mini muffin pans, I sold the scoop to go with it to them.
It also reminded me to ask about the "Rounding Up." I always forget to mentin that at shows but when I was giving them their total last night and saw the icon it reminded me. Almost everyone rounded up.

I was glad I took my USB mouse b/c like Ann recommended a mouse is so much better when entering shows instead of the little finger pad.

A numeric pad like Linda talked about would be good too but I will hold off on that for a while to see if I get more use to using the numbers about the letters. I use those a lot at work so, it should not take a lot of adjustment for me.

I loved coming home and not having to enter orders! My feet were swollen and killing me when I got home, so, it was great just to kick back and not have to do that!

Thanks for your tips ladies!!!!

I agree on this fact. I cannot wait to get my laptop so I can start taking it to shows.

bring your power cord just in case!

pamperedlinda said:
If you don't have a 10-key numeric pad on your laptop you might want to buy an external one. I am lost w/o that!
I've been thinking about doing this. It's a good Sunday afternoon activity.

kathy Griffith said:
If you sent the invites for your Host, enter all the guest info, even if they don't show they will be connected to that Host.
I've been thinking about doing this. Good Sunday afternoon activity.

pamperedlinda said:
Considering this too. I haven't had that since getting a laptop three years ago. At first I hated not having one, but now I'm as used to it as I'll ever get. I'll keep considering.

jrstephens said:

My director calls it 'working' at work...I also love coming home to my family, not more work! :D Congrats on your success!!

I love the laptop for big groups, especially. Just be sure to have all of the host info entered. I didn't at first for one and it wasn't calculating shipping! Oops. Luckily, I caught it right away. Not sure why the address wasn't in there. I love the idea of the screensaver. I also just close it. Oh...and more memory should help with loading the program. It takes a lot more than PP and most laptops don't come with enough to run much (keeps the price down). Really, you should have at least 1G. I have that now and it really helps.The key is to find the space before the show starts though! I usually end up at the dining room or kitchen table. As for receipts, you could get a small printer to take with to print receipts right away. I haven't done that yet. I do prefer printed receipts vs the write-in ones to keep just b/c it lists the warranty and everything is very clear (vs a copy).

Wow, what a great thread! I stopped on the way home from my show today & bought my very first laptop. Now I'm really excited. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Chef Endora said:
Wow, what a great thread! I stopped on the way home from my show today & bought my very first laptop. Now I'm really excited. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Wow - that was some impulse buy!:D

Chef Endora said:

Did my thread cause a debt?! HAHA!:D

I am loving mine more and more. Only used it for one show but I know I will grow to love it more and more for them.

I got to set up right on the counter by my demo space.It was very convenient b/c when they were looking at stuff and wanted to know the price, I could look it up in P3 quicker than the magazine. I have not set my screen saver yet but I did have a pic of my son as my background when I had P3 minimized.

It sounds that way, doesn't it. Really, I've been looking & researching. DH is not real happy but he is a man of the 90s....the 1890s. I call his truck his covered wagon;) I have a full time job already, so if I want to use my fun job cash on it, that's what I'm doing.

My DSILs helped me with choosing one. One SIL built my desktop & is my personal geek. He knows a happy MIL is a good MIL:love:

This will work out well for shows and for school. I actually haven't opened the box yet because I want to check out tomorrow's ads. I also got a wireless mouse & numeric keypad set to go with it.

Chef Endora said:
It sounds that way, doesn't it. Really, I've been looking & researching. DH is not real happy but he is a man of the 90s....the 1890s. I call his truck his covered wagon;) I have a full time job already, so if I want to use my fun job cash on it, that's what I'm doing.

My DSILs helped me with choosing one. One SIL built my desktop & is my personal geek. He knows a happy MIL is a good MIL:love:

This will work out well for shows and for school. I actually haven't opened the box yet because I want to check out tomorrow's ads. I also got a wireless mouse & numeric keypad set to go with it.

What brand of Laptop did you get? Is it Windows XP or Vista?

Chef Endora said:

I figured it probably wasn't a complete impulse buy....but the way that you posted it made it sound that way....and I just could not resist!:D

Have fun with your laptop - you are going to love the freedom of it!

Does anyone use a Mac? Does it work well with PP3?

I am a new consultant that just started with PC. From what I have read on these boards is that there is a few Mac owners. Myself being on of them. I use Boot Camp and Fusion to run PP3 and so far I have had no issues. I can't wait to start actually using the software. I have a catty show going and my neighbor is going to host a show for me but she keeps pushing the date back!

mamidu said:
I am a new consultant that just started with PC. From what I have read on these boards is that there is a few Mac owners. Myself being on of them. I use Boot Camp and Fusion to run PP3 and so far I have had no issues. I can't wait to start actually using the software. I have a catty show going and my neighbor is going to host a show for me but she keeps pushing the date back!
I am trying to decide between keeping my current Windows computer (desktop) and buying a Windows laptop. That way we have a new upgraded computer and the old one the kids can use. But, I was in a Apple store recently looking at their computers and I was impressed. If I get an Apple, I would get rid of our Windows and just have the one. Maybe down the road, we could get a Mac laptop. Do you like the Mac better? Can you give me any advice?

ChefSheryl: I think Chefann has a MacBook that she loves. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to help you out.

I got a Toshiba. I wish they would make them so they could be refurbished by home geeks such as my DSIL. He offered to try to refurbish my grandson's
old one, but I didn't want to invest in an experiment, plus, I want to get up and running so I can do some exam simulators. I can do them on my desktop but I need to refer to 3 huge coding books so I need room to spread out.

I have a MacBook Pro and I love it! My neighbor used to be a Windows Only user and somehow or another I got her to try a Mac. In the beginning she had a few problems, but now she recommends to other they need to get a Mac. The nice thing about a Mac is that you have the option to run Windows.

Hey, folks! I was gone at Leadership and unable to stay on top of all the new posts. I DO have a MacBook, and I LOVE it!! You can run P3 through Boot Camp, and it will work fine (because when you restart in Boot Camp your Mac is actually functioning 100% as a Windows machine). You can also run P3 through Parallels, although one of the very nice gentlemen in the Tech Room did say that you shouldn't go back and forth between P3 in Parallels and Mac programs while they're running because it will eventually break P3. He was a Mac user himself, so he knew what he was talking about. :)

Mary Anne and Ann,
Do you also have a Mac desktop or some other kind of desktop computer? Do you just use your Macbook? What is it about Mac that you like better than Windows? Sorry for all the questions, I just can not make up my mind. I really want a laptop but if I go for the Macbook, I feel like I should get rid of our Windows computer because they wouldn't work together. Then we would only have a laptop which might be fine. I just never thought about having only a laptop. One more question (on this post anyway), if you have children do they use the Mac? Thanks for all the info. I like to research a product by talking to people who actually use the product. :)

Sheryl, I just set you a PM.

chefann said:
Sheryl, I just set you a PM.
Thank you, Do you have a Macbook Pro or just a regular one? Is there that much of a difference in the quality? I noticed there is a big difference in price. :)

I have a regular one, the 13" model. It's fine. The Pro usually has faster processors (yes, plural), larger hard drive standard, etc. It's really aimed at video and graphics professionals who need serious processing power. You should be fine with the regular one.

ChefCheryl,
I wanted the MacBook Pro because it isn't often that I get a new computer and the fact I got it on a close out. I take my computer with me everywhere I go. My DH is self employed and I use my laptop for his business. My 2 kids and DH each have their own Mac laptops. Granted they are older computers but it works for them. I like Macs because they are less likely to get viruses, and they (to me) are easier to use. Also, you don't have to worry about doing the system defrag. and other things like that. Go to Apple and look around. There is a ton of stuff on their site that shows the difference between the two. I had to have Windows because we both have a Garmin iQue and the maps have to be installed through Windows.

If you're seriously considering the Pro model, take a look in the "refurbished" area on the online Apple Store. You can usually get a pretty good deal in there - often current models marked down a couple hundred bucks, just because they were returned. Apple cleans them up and repackages them with all the manuals, etc. That's how DH got my first iPod, and it's been great!

1. How do I set up my laptop for the first time?

To set up your laptop for the first time, make sure it is plugged in and turned on. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to connect to a Wi-Fi network and set up your user account. You may also want to customize your desktop background and organize your files for easy access.

2. Are there any important updates or installations I need to do before my show?

It is always a good idea to check for any software updates or installations before your show. This will ensure that your laptop is running smoothly and you have access to the latest features. You may also want to install any necessary apps or programs for your presentation.

3. How do I make sure my laptop doesn't run out of battery during the show?

To prevent your laptop from running out of battery during the show, make sure it is fully charged before the event. If possible, bring a charger and an extension cord with you to the show in case you need to plug in. You can also conserve battery life by closing unnecessary programs and dimming the screen brightness.

4. What should I do if my laptop freezes or crashes during the show?

If your laptop freezes or crashes during the show, try restarting it by holding down the power button. If that doesn't work, you may need to force quit any unresponsive programs. It's always a good idea to have a backup plan in case of technical difficulties, such as having physical copies of your presentation or materials.

5. How can I make sure my laptop runs smoothly during the show?

To ensure that your laptop runs smoothly during the show, close any unnecessary programs and tabs. This will free up memory and processing power for your presentation. You may also want to disable notifications and turn off your internet connection to avoid any distractions. Finally, make sure to test your presentation beforehand to ensure everything runs smoothly on your laptop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lizzus
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • Mark Kilby
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
baychef
  • otisbg