• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Brownies Instead of Cake Mix: A Dilemma

In summary, the host purchased a mix instead of a cake mix, and is unsure if it is a cake or brownie. The guest thinks it would be good, and suggests adding a Snickers or other type of candy bar to the mix.
Meigs
I am doing a show on Thursday and as a second recipe we are doing the dump cake.

My host just informed me that she accidentally purchased Brownies instead of a chocolate cake mix.
I am not sure, as of yet, if it is cake like brownies or the fuggy type.

Does anyone know if Brownies will work the same way, or should I grab a cake mix??

Thanks in advance for for the help!!
Meighen =-)

Don't take the chance of it maybe working... I would be grabbing a cake mix on your way to the show.

I agree. Get a cake mix.

One of the dessert recipes in the new SB Cookbook is for a Brownie that can be baked in the DCB in the microwave. I'd just adjust, and do that instead of the dump cake. It's really good! Serve it with ice cream.:chef:

One of the dessert recipes in the new SB Cookbook is for a Brownie that can be baked in the DCB in the microwave. I'd just adjust, and do that instead of the dump cake. It's really good! Serve it with ice cream.

Do you think it would work with the mix she bought or would it have to be the "from scratch" method?

So basically, it would just be adding a Snickers or something, and pecans on top of the brownie after it comes out of the microwave?

Meighan, I'd be surprised if you couldn't still do something with the brownie mix, though perhaps not the dump cake. However, cake mixes are pretty inexpensive, so it wouldn't hurt to just buy one (I actually buy several boxes when they're on sale, so I always have something on hand).

You have, however, made me very curious to start experimenting!!

You have, however, made me very curious to start experimenting!!

hahah I know, I actually think it would be Really Good! (if it turned out, of course)
If you ever try it out let me know how it works... LOL

You can probably add nuts, PB morsels, or various chopped up candy bars to the brownie mix and bake it in the microwave. I don't think you could go too wrong. ;) I'd try to experiment at home first, though, so you can get a better idea on the cooking time.

1. Can I substitute brownie mix for cake mix in a recipe?

Yes, you can substitute brownie mix for cake mix in a recipe. However, the texture and flavor of the final product may be different since brownie mix typically contains more cocoa and less leavening agents compared to cake mix.

2. Do I need to adjust the baking time when using brownie mix instead of cake mix?

Yes, you may need to adjust the baking time when using brownie mix instead of cake mix. Brownies typically require a longer baking time than cakes due to their denser texture. It is best to check the brownies for doneness with a toothpick and add additional baking time as needed.

3. Can I use the same amount of brownie mix as cake mix in a recipe?

No, you cannot use the same amount of brownie mix as cake mix in a recipe. Brownie mix typically yields less batter than cake mix and may not be enough to fill a cake pan. It is best to check the recommended serving size on the box and adjust accordingly.

4. Should I add any extra ingredients when using brownie mix instead of cake mix?

It is not necessary to add any extra ingredients when using brownie mix instead of cake mix. However, if you want to enhance the flavor and texture, you can add a little bit of baking powder and vanilla extract to the brownie mix.

5. Can I use a brownie mix to make cupcakes?

Yes, you can use a brownie mix to make cupcakes. However, the texture and density of the cupcakes will be different compared to traditional cake mix cupcakes. It is best to check the recommended baking time and adjust accordingly for cupcakes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • krahema
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • jkinak
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies