• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Upset Host..how to Respond.....

In summary, the conversation revolves around a host being upset about the specific details of her party being shared with guests. The consultant is confused and asks for advice on how to respond. Other consultants weigh in, with some suggesting an apology and others defending the consultant's actions. It is mentioned that the host may be embarrassed about how much she received in free products, but others point out that this information is public and necessary for encouraging future bookings. Some suggest involving the director in the situation.
ChefBeckyD said:
I agree with this. In fact, although I absolutely love my Tasty Tidbits newsletter - I always delete the "best host" part. I know for a fact it would embarrass some of my hosts to be listed there.

I just use first names so most people will not know. I mean how many Ann's, Becky's, or Sarah's are in any given town? I had 3 different Sarah's do a show in 1 month before.

Again this is why I love the DS biz. We can all choose how things work best for us!

Every host I have had has been excited to tell everyone how much free stuff she got! I have had home parties of my own and my friends always wanted to know how much free stuff I got and then some of them even booked parties themselves after they found out how easy it was to get a lot of free stuff. I don't understand why she was mad either.

I list all my 1K hosts on my website, but just their first name and the initial of their last name.

I use to always have info. on how the host did in the thank you letters I mailed to each guest. Then I had a host (who use to do PC) ask me at the close of the show not to include that information when I sent out the thank you letters. She said she knew it came from the home office, but she did not feel comfortable 'bragging', especially when others would not be in the position to have as successful a show. She has had several shows for me since then and now I just send a thank you and the recipe via e-mail, unless the guest wants me to snail mail it to them.

AnnieBee said:
Wow, I'm sorry to hear her response! My suggestion to you at this point would be to email something like:

I just wanted to email to apologize once more, I am truly sorry that you were offended by my email to your guests. Like I said earlier, this has been my standard practice for over 150 shows, and I have never had a host who has tell me they were bothered by it. I pride myself on running my business with integrity and good customer service, and as such, if I had ever thought that a host would find it offensive or tacky I would not have done this. My experience has been that hosts are typically excited to share their good fortune and experience with the friends that have helped them by attending the show.

I am sad (not quite the right word, but I'm having trouble coming up with the right one. "upset" isn't quite right either...) that you felt that I was "just out for myself" and only trying to get more business. My goal in being a consultant is to help my hosts and guests to have a fun evening, learn a recipe, show them some great products, and give them time and money saving tips. I also aim to help my hosts get some great free and discounted PC products, and I provide bonuses in addition to those provided by TPC. As I said before, I also pride myself on providing great customer service. However, when it comes to trying to "get more business", then yes, that is something that I also aim to do. Being a consultant is not a hobby for me, it is my personal business, and I rely on the income provided to help pay my bills. As such, like any other business owner, I will market my services and host benefits to the guests at my shows in order for my business to be grow and be successful. I do not feel that that is unreasonable, and it certainly does not mean that I am "only out for myself". I do hope you can see my perspective on that.

I truly hope that you and your guests had an fun evening and enjoy your new PC products. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Sincerely,

XXX XXX

Of course it might be better to just bless and release, but I just have a hard time not defending myself, and I really would hope that she could see your perspective...

Anyone else have a comment? Agree or disagree?

Wow, VERY well written... I would totally be sending that one on. And personally, I think SAD is a very good word choice.

I haven't received any negative response to the "Hostess of the Month" section of my Tasty Tidbits newsletter. In fact, I have had so many hostess's ask me if they will be the "next" one! They get excited to show off what they got!!

I am now torn about whether or not I should include it. I am thinking I will start asking my hosts if they would mind being featured in my newsletter.

Now to figure out the most tactful and exciting happy way to ask the hostess's...any thoughts?

i haven't had many shows, but i have asked my hostess's either before the show or after if they minded me putting it in my newsletter. after reading this thread, i m now thinking of adding a "consent form" to my host packet or closing routine. just a note explaining i have this section in my newsletter/website/thank you notes that i usually post show results in. maybe include an example of what that section would look like. just so the host would know what she is allowing me to do. i know it would take time on my part. but if i want to keep these as a part of my routine, i think it would keep me from having to experience this first hand.

i'm sorry you had to go through this. the only thing i have to add is if it is your normal routine to send a thank you note, i would do so. if her friends hold their bookings, you are covering your tail. i wouldn't want someone to find out their friend got a thank you note when they didn't. that just gives them a reason to bad mouth.(although, it would be a petty reason to do so!)

PCMelissa said:
Wow, VERY well written... I would totally be sending that one on. And personally, I think SAD is a very good word choice.

Instead of sad I would put disappointed. That kind of puts it back on the host that she would think that about you as her consultant.

Well this is something we are not normally used to but I see how maybe a host would be embarrassed to share her extremely successful show if one of her good friends also recently had a show and it was not so successful. Some people really care about what others think.
It's really sad how she was so rude to you and assumed that trying to get business is a bad thing. She obviously does not know anything about marketing and how word of mouth definitely helps with our PC businesses.
I also agree that you don't have to send out another follow up letter or something to try to make her feel better, it won't work. Someone like this is going to be stubborn that you wronged her and you should just end the relationship as quickly as possible.
Try to focus on your bookings and have really successful shows. Ask your hosts in this particular social circle if they mind the email you will be sending out, because I am sure she will be bringing it up to them. That way she can see that you did take her advice, at least with these ladies, and asked them so she can see that people typically don't have a problem with it.
And I also agree that people usually know that coming to a PC party means that what you purchase will give the host FREE stuff. It's not a secret and I personally would be happy for a friend of mine who worked hard and had a successful show!
You can't please everyone! Learn from this experience but don't let it get you down. You didn't do anything wrong. Congrats on a great show and 5 bookings!!!

Debbie :D

I, too, can see how it might be embarrasing. In fact, as a host, I would not want to brag at how much stuff I got for free.

But, I agree that they might be embarrased if their friend did not have as good of a show.

Many times you are in a "circle" of friends and I have noticed that some may order more off of someone they like better. I have had guests say, I'll order from so and so when she has her party (and place a much larger order at that time). I have 2 hosts that come to mind. They work in the same place and one always has a lot more $ in outside orders from the same outside people.

So, I would be embarrased too, if my friend didn't do so well and I did.

But, it was uncalled for getting as nasty as she did. She could hvae made her point in a nice (professional) manner.

<h2>1. Can I share the results of my Pampered Chef show with my guests?</h2><p>As a Pampered Chef consultant, it is my standard practice to share the results of a successful show with the guests. This is to showcase the amazing hostess benefits and encourage future bookings. However, I apologize if this made you uncomfortable and I will make sure to ask for your permission in the future.</p><h2>2. How should I respond if my friends don't respond to my invitation to book a show?</h2><p>It is completely up to you how you handle your friends' response to your invitation to book a show. I always want my hosts to feel comfortable and not pushy. If they choose not to book, that is okay. I will still be here to support you in any way I can.</p><h2>3. Why did you share specific details of my show with my guests?</h2><p>As mentioned before, it is my standard practice to share the results of a successful show with guests. This is to showcase the amazing hostess benefits and encourage future bookings. However, I apologize if this made you uncomfortable and I will make sure to ask for your permission in the future.</p><h2>4. Can I change my mind about booking a show and still receive credit for it?</h2><p>Absolutely! Your satisfaction and comfort are my top priorities. If you have changed your mind about booking a show, please let me know and I will adjust accordingly.</p><h2>5. Why did you attach recipes to the email you sent out?</h2><p>As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am always happy to share delicious recipes with my clients. The attached recipes were from the show and I thought you might enjoy having them to recreate at home. If you ever need any recipe ideas, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.</p>

1. Can I share the results of my Pampered Chef show with my guests?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it is my standard practice to share the results of a successful show with the guests. This is to showcase the amazing hostess benefits and encourage future bookings. However, I apologize if this made you uncomfortable and I will make sure to ask for your permission in the future.

2. How should I respond if my friends don't respond to my invitation to book a show?

It is completely up to you how you handle your friends' response to your invitation to book a show. I always want my hosts to feel comfortable and not pushy. If they choose not to book, that is okay. I will still be here to support you in any way I can.

3. Why did you share specific details of my show with my guests?

As mentioned before, it is my standard practice to share the results of a successful show with guests. This is to showcase the amazing hostess benefits and encourage future bookings. However, I apologize if this made you uncomfortable and I will make sure to ask for your permission in the future.

4. Can I change my mind about booking a show and still receive credit for it?

Absolutely! Your satisfaction and comfort are my top priorities. If you have changed your mind about booking a show, please let me know and I will adjust accordingly.

5. Why did you attach recipes to the email you sent out?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am always happy to share delicious recipes with my clients. The attached recipes were from the show and I thought you might enjoy having them to recreate at home. If you ever need any recipe ideas, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Beaglemom49779
  • kam
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • MrsCaleb