• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uplifting Story of Support: How My Upline Cared for Me During a Difficult Time

In summary, the conversation is about a woman named Darcy who shares her story of losing her son who had a rare heart condition. Despite her tragic loss, she chose to continue working and received amazing support from her team and even the higher-ups in the company. This serves as a reminder of the caring and supportive community within the company.
OhmyDLM
Silver Member
I've been following along with theese threads about Paige in hopes of an update. Regarding a post I saw about the home office possibly not caring due to lack of mention at conference, I would like to share my story.

About a year ago I gave birth to my first son. He had a rare heart condition that affects only 1 in 250,000 children (It's called VACTERL Association). We only knew he had a heart condition before birth which they found in a 5 month ultrasound, the rest of his "surprises" came shortly after delivery. My water broke at 33 weeks and I was rushed by ambulence to a hospital in Boston, which was the only hospital close to me that was capable of taking care of him (I live in Maine and that's 4 1/2 hours away from my home).

To make a long story a tiny bit shorter. My husband and I lived in the hospital with my son for two weeks were he had the first of many major surgeries. After two weeks, we were transfered to a hospital in Maine (still over two hours away from home) and my husband and I lived at the Ronald McDonald house. There my son had his first open heart surgery. He started getting better and things were looking up, we and the doctor's both thought we we're going to be able to take him home for the first time in maybe a month of so. Because he was doing so well, the staff decided to remove his "jumper cables" (a heart saving device used on infants as opposed to the paddles used on adults) When doing so, it accidentally ripped a hole in my son's fragile heart. They rushed him into the OR and we sat and waited. 10 minutes later our son's nurse came to tell us the news. After 27 days of fighting for his life, our son had lost his battle.

That is hands down the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with, and I continue to deal with it daily. I chose not to take a leave of absence from my Directorship and stayed strong for myself, my family, and team. I was blessed enough to have a team and an upline that cared so strongly about me that they all stepped up to the plate, even visiting us and meeting our son in the hospital.

Following, at the funeral, the all showed up to help and support me. I was so impressed and it meant so much that people who were "technically" only co-workers would do that for me. Then, I open the mail and my love for this company only increased when I read what I had. (the whole reason for this post). With thousands upon thousands of consultants and all of the personal turmoil we all deal with, I recieved three separate cards, all hand written and address to myself and my husband offerring their condolences and prayers. They knew my son's name and his entire situation. The first card was from my regional sales manager and everyone who worked in her office signed it. The second was from Marla and the third was from Doris herself. All hand written and signed with a personal note. It meant alot that they would have the time or make the time to send me something so personal.

Now you can't tell me that's a company with people who don't care. I'm so proud to be a part of this organization and infact, I'm not sure where I would be in life without it. I hope my long long story sheds some light for those who may still be doubting.

Thank you for sharing your story. Sadden to read of your dear loss. You and your husband must have great strength.

How wonderful that HO took the time to send you notes like that.

Wow, Darcy, my heart breaks to hear your story. I can't even imagine the pain you've gone through with your son and probably still do to this day. I think it's so neat that you shared your story because it confirms what most of us know about this incredible company. That must have felt amazing to have the support of your cluster members, but also the thoughts and prayers from the big wigs in the company.

Thanks so much for sharing your story.:)

Last edited:
Darcy, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story so that others may see how wonderful PC really is!

God bless you for opening your heart to all of us! What a model you along with your up and downlines are in how to care for one another as well as how HO showed their connection to you! Thanks for sharing

BlessingsWOW what a heart warming story with a bitter sweet end, I am soo sorry for your loss, You have your husband have incridable strength. We do work for a wonderful company and it is amazing how we come together as a whole in times of need! Thanks for sharing your story with us :)

Darcy,
You are a beautiful person to stay so sweet and caring after this tough life blow. I admire your willingness to keep a good heart free of bitterness. I also admire your strong work ethic, so many times any little set back in life and people want to freeze time and dwell in misery. I do not know how you kept working and active but I really admire it. I'll be praying for you and your family so everyday your healing will be deeper. Thank you for sharing your story.
Marisol Gehman

Wow...your an extremely strong person. I am not so sure I could even function after that. I am so sorry.

Thank you all for your very kind words. I tell my story at all of my shows because number one, the more I talk about him the less people will forget he existed, and number two, it's healing and theraputic for me.

I tell people that I never intended Pampered Chef to play such a huge roll in my life, infact it wasn't even something I thought I would stick with. Little did I know, that a year and a half after starting my business, it would end up saving my life. Throughout our ordeal with my son in the hospital, Pampered Chef was my outlet. I ended up collecting over $2500 in sales the month we we're there just from making phone calls and working from his bedside. My team even grouped together and did a catelog show for me collecting orders from their OWN customers and submitted it in my name. Thanks to Pampered Chef, I was able to spend all 27 days with my son (my husband too) and we didn't have to worry how our bills were going to get paid, who was covering my job back home, was I going to be replaced, etc., etc., like other people who are in this situation have to think about. We we're completely taken care of and we never missed a moment with Taylan. I'm so thankful for that and I will ALWAYS be grateful for that opportunity.

Pampered Chef is continuing to save me by giving me an outlet. An outlet to tell people about my son and an outlet for my energy. I'm not sitting at home dwelling on the past and wishing things were different. I'm still sad and I cry alot but I get to go out 2 times a weeks and share his story. I also get to go out and socialize with other people and get my "outlet" from the real world.

This job makes me happy and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Despite life's circumstances, I'm a lucky lucky girl. I have 27 days with my son, some people don't even get that. And for that, I'm blessed.

Last edited:
Darcy, Thank you for sharing your story. My heart goes out to you. I truly admire your strength and courage to continue with your business after such a tragedy. God bless you!

Darcy,

I have to say.. what other company lets us take care of our families when we need to??? The Pampered Chef sure does.. that is one of the major reasons that I have stuck with it!!!

Thank you Darcy. Your story brought me to tears. Your son will always be close to your heart.

You and your family are in my prayers. I had heard that Doris does that kind of thing and your testimony proves it.

Darcy, thanks for sharing your story. I'm sitting here crying for you & your loss. I'm sure your story will be inspirational to many, including me.

I am sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing it with us. It makes me feel good to be part of PC knowing that they really do care.

Darcy, thank you so much for being brave enough to share your story. I hurt just reading it; I cannot fathom how living must have felt. But thank you for the confirmation of what a truly one of a kind company we represent!!

Oh Darcy, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the pain. You are a very strong woman. ((((((((((((((((((((Darcy))))))))))))))))

When it all boils down to it, we really do have an amazing support system backing us up. I may not always agree with all the decisions or the route they decide to go with (ie: letting go of Nancy's) but I know that I work for a company that cares about me and my well being. Pampered Chef gives me a new drive for life and a feeling of self-acomplishment. Darnit, I'm good at what I do and I know that my son is smiling down on my and is proud of his mamma and the way she's helping to support her family. My husband works hard and because of my business he's able to play hard too! In our quest to have more children, I'm relieved at the fact I know I will still be able to bring home that much needed money to support us while still being able to stay home and help raise my babies. It's doesn't get any better than that :)

I've attached a picture so you all can see my miracle baby.

Attachments

• Taylan11.jpg
    Taylan11.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 364
  • Taylan7.jpg
    Taylan7.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 311
Now that is what I call a mom Darcy.. those are the sweetest phots I have seen all day long!!! ((((HUGS))))

Darcy that is the sweetest story! Thank you so much for sharing it and reminding us what life is all about.

Thank you Darcy! I knew I loved PC - and you have given me even more reason to know without a doubt that there is no other DS Company as great as this one!

As a mom, my heart hurts with yours. I can only imagine your grief - but will pray that God will continue to comfort you and give you peace. You ARE an amazing woman and a very special Mom.

Thanks, Darcy, for sharing your story. I can only imagine the pain you carry with you, but I am truly in awe of your gracefulness. Blessings to you and your family.

Your story is very touching. Thanks for sharing with us.

OhmyDLM said:
I've been following along with theese threads about Paige in hopes of an update. Regarding a post I saw about the home office possibly not caring due to lack of mention at conference, I would like to share my story.

What an amazing story. I'm glad you had him for the time he was here. I was recently speculating about why HO didn't say anything and I think there are a couple of reasons. First, General Session would be the place as to get the info out all at once per wave. Where would they put it? At the beginning and keep people from being excited about the announcements with Paige in the back (or front) of their minds? At the end so all the excitement gets taken away? In the middle wouldn't be much better, either. Also, so many people sacrifice a lot to be there and it is such a condensed time period that taking focus off PC is not fair to them. I know just by wearing the ribbons and by Paige's cluster wearing their "Have you seen Paige?" picture cards got the info out. I even talked with some of the McCormic Center people and got them interested. Anyhoo, that being said, I wish they had said something in Weekly Bites or sent out a special email.

OhmyDLM said:
That is hands down the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with, and I continue to deal with it daily.

Losing a child is the hardest thing any mother will have to go through. My brother died when he was 17 and I knew how hard it was for my mother but never truly understood until I had a baby of my own. I couldn't imagine having to go through losing him.
My mom belongs to a group-here in Maine (and she seems to think it's statewide) called Compassionate Friends for parents who have lost children. I can get you the contact information if you are interested. If anything your son's name can be added to the newsletter "in memory of." Please let me know if you want more information.
~Kacey
P.S. were you at the Kimberly Medlock Training in Bangor in January?

We lost our youngest son on April 27 of this year. He was three years old and was our miracle baby in that he lived to leave the hospital and give us three almost 4 (his b-day was July 9th...first day of conference...a bittersweet day) wonderful years. I was very surprised to receive two handwritten letters from both Doris and Marla. I have to tell you that I broke down and cried when I recieved those two cards. To have two people who I have never met send cards because I was a consultant for their business moved me almost more then any other card we received.

I am sure that they are aware of Paige's situation and have done something, we may just not know what it is. I am sure that they have their reasons not to publicly announce anything about Paige and we all need to respect that.

On another note for those of you that attended Shan Eisler's banquet I was the one that was visibly upset by Terri Haitt's story. To hear her talk about all she overcame with her husband and then to hear that she too heard the same words that I heard about only having a short time with her daughter brought back so many memories. I admire her courage and her strength and she had made me realize that though God sends challenges they are nothing that he knows you can not and will not overcome!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I cant even begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. My dad got very ill a couple weeks after I signed up with PC (and died 3 months later). PC is what kept me going - it kept me busy - and I was able to take a leave of absence from teaching to be with my mom and supplement our income with PC. I remember doing a show in a fog 3 days after the funeral. It gave me something else to think about and to focus on. You are so brave. God Bless You!

kaceyleigh2 said:
Losing a child is the hardest thing any mother will have to go through. My brother died when he was 17 and I knew how hard it was for my mother but never truly understood until I had a baby of my own. I couldn't imagine having to go through losing him.
My mom belongs to a group-here in Maine (and she seems to think it's statewide) called Compassionate Friends for parents who have lost children. I can get you the contact information if you are interested. If anything your son's name can be added to the newsletter "in memory of." Please let me know if you want more information.
~Kacey
P.S. were you at the Kimberly Medlock Training in Bangor in January?

Thankyou and I would love that information.

Yes I was at that training, I am part of that particular local Director group that put that on (Monica Paterson a Director from Brewer headed it all up I beleive). My upline Director is Colleen Blanchette. You must know of them :) I'm sure I probably met you there! Who is your Director, she may be a part of my sister Director group?

Molly Jo said:
We lost our youngest son on April 27 of this year. He was three years old and was our miracle baby in that he lived to leave the hospital and give us three almost 4 (his b-day was July 9th...first day of conference...a bittersweet day) wonderful years. I was very surprised to receive two handwritten letters from both Doris and Marla. I have to tell you that I broke down and cried when I recieved those two cards. To have two people who I have never met send cards because I was a consultant for their business moved me almost more then any other card we received. QUOTE]

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and I completely agree and understand how emotional it was to receive those cards. His birthday must have been hard for you, especially at conference. Taylan's first birthday would have been April 17th of this year. I threw him a party anyways with his close family and friends with a memorial gathering. Every April 17th will be a special day of remembing for my family now and I will be thinking about you on the 27th. No matter how much time passes by, we'll always remember...

Darcy and Molly thank you for sharing your stories I cant even begin to imagine what you are going through. It was hard enough losing a nephew.
Darcy alos thanks for sharing those precious photos

This is a poem that I came across when I also lost a baby - it is "The Stillborn Child" by Francine M. O'Connor - for me this happened more than 15 years ago, hopefully the poem brings you some comfort as it did/and still does for me.

A soul within my very own soul,
from human love was conceived
Pride of possession consummed me then,
"This child is mine," I believed.
Oh, I knew he was yours from the very start,
that you had every right to his soul.
But I forgot for a little while, Lord,
that the future was yours to control.
I felt him within me and loved him so,
and I had so very much planned.
But you had plans that were greater still
when you held his life in your hands.
I knew not his life, yet I mourn his death,
I have lost what was never mine.
Please help me, Lord, to understand
and to accept your will divine.
As as time goes on and dulls the pain,
may the lesson I've learned shine through.
That every child I hold close to my heart
is a soul that belongs to you.

My thoughts are with you both - Annette
I have been lurking for quite a while, but felt compelled to share.

Lots of love to you and your husband. My heart breaks for you. I pray for your continued strength and focus.

I admire the strength you have as women.

I too, was someone that questioned HO not saying anything about Paige.

Maybe they have addressed it privately with her family or, as mentioned in a
email after conference is over.

My prayers for your continued strength.

Darcy, thank you for sharing your story. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Darcy~

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad, though, that PC was so supportive (including those from HO) and that your business is helping you to deal with your grief. May God bless and strengthen you and your husband as you continue the grieving process. May he bless your business. Your story will touch hearts each time you share it with others!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Molly Jo said:
We lost our youngest son on April 27 of this year. He was three years old and was our miracle baby in that he lived to leave the hospital and give us three almost 4 (his b-day was July 9th...first day of conference...a bittersweet day) wonderful years. I was very surprised to receive two handwritten letters from both Doris and Marla.

Molly Jo~

I am so sad to hear of your loss as well. I could never even begin to understand the pain of losing a child. My heart goes out to you and your family.

{{{{{HUGS to you too!}}}}}

OhmyDLM said:
Thankyou and I would love that information.

Yes I was at that training, I am part of that particular local Director group that put that on (Monica Paterson a Director from Brewer headed it all up I beleive). My upline Director is Colleen Blanchette. You must know of them :) I'm sure I probably met you there! Who is your Director, she may be a part of my sister Director group?

I'm in Heidi Conant's cluster. I don't think I met Monica but I do remember the name.
I will get the Compassionate Friends info for you tomorrow!

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, Darcy. I'm so very sorry for your loss, but I'm even more moved by your strength and compassion, and your team's undying support of you during your time of need.

I have never doubted that Pampered Chef is a caring company, and your story definitely reinforces that for me. I'm glad that PC was able to be a comfort and support to you during such a dark time in your life, and continues to be a rock for you. (((HUGS))) and lots of love coming your way, from one mom of an angel to another.

Darcy,

Thank you for sharing your story and your pictures. My son went through major issues at 5 months and there are times I think God blessed us that he is still here and cry at how close it was that he almost wasn't. I can't say I know how you feel but it seems to me to be close.

I am not surprised that HO has not said or done anything that is visible. I am very sure they have done something that the whole world doesn't know about. We don't need to know. I totally agree with what Carolyn said in the other thread and thank her for saying in a much better way what I had been thinking. Even if they mention it in the Weekly Bites, we still have the same issue of who do we say what about??

The mother of one of my roommates at conference had passed away the week before conference. She was there participating. Her husband was home making plans for the Celebration of her Life for the weekend after she returned from conference. Believe me he wasn't doing it on his own. He was calling her and filling her in a details and asking questions, etc. I know she was at conference participating but I could tell she was in a ton of pain.

Many many consultants deal with something everyday and it would be too much for HO offfice choose who to put into the Weekly Bites or where ever.

Molly Jo,

I was in Shan's exec dinner and had heard Terri's story at a get together at Leadership. I got emotional both times. I definitely could relate to her story, maybe in some ways not as extreme but I know what she has gone through first hand. Terri lived through a lot and is a huge success and I have to say that I admire her and hope I can move my business in the way that she has and continue to care for my son the way she has.

You can PM me if you want to chat more about it...

Darcy,
God's peace be with you.
Today is the anniversary of my son's death; 19 years ago today. He was 8 weeks old. My children and I celebrate his birthday every year and we talk about the sibling that 2 of my 4 children never met. Talking helps a lot. Also I believe your upline is very special and passed the message on to HO. I am sure she made a difference. My mom passed away 4 years ago just before conference. I had to plan everything before leaving and the funeral was held days after my return. I did not get a note from my director or HO. It was a very difficult time and conference was a blur.Take care,
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you,Anne

(((HUGS))) Darcy.

chefanne said:
Darcy,
God's peace be with you.
Today is the anniversary of my son's death; 19 years ago today. He was 8 weeks old. My children and I celebrate his birthday every year and we talk about the sibling that 2 of my 4 children never met. Talking helps a lot.

Also I believe your upline is very special and passed the message on to HO. I am sure she made a difference. My mom passed away 4 years ago just before conference. I had to plan everything before leaving and the funeral was held days after my return. I did not get a note from my director or HO. It was a very difficult time and conference was a blur.

Take care,
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you,

Anne

Sorry to hear about all of that Ann.

I do have an absolutely AMAZING upline and group of sister Directors. We are all a very close group. While I was grieving both my Director and my Senior Director took over the training and majority of support for my entire team (while I continued to be paid for it mind you) and never once complained. To this day, we treat every single members of our individual teams as one large family. I'm often amazed at the lengths my upline will go to to help support us. For example, my Director doesn't get paid a commission on any of the 30 something team members, but she doesn't hesitate a second to spend time on the phone with them training, meeting them for lunch to answer questions, etc. My Director and upline are not only my co-workers, but their also my friends. I'm not only a lucy girl in life but I'm a lucky girl in business. Another reason why I LOVE this company so much!

1. How did your upline support you during your difficult time?

My upline showed immense support by visiting me and my son in the hospital, attending the funeral, and sending hand-written cards with personal notes.

2. Did the home office show any support during this time?

Yes, the home office showed their support by sending a card with condolences and prayers from the regional sales manager, Marla, and Doris herself.

3. Did you take a leave of absence from your Directorship during this difficult time?

No, I chose to stay strong for myself, my family, and my team and continued with my Directorship.

4. How did your team and upline show their care and support for you?

My team and upline stepped up by visiting me and my son in the hospital, attending the funeral, and sending hand-written cards with personal notes.

5. What is your overall experience with Pampered Chef during this difficult time?

I am incredibly grateful and proud to be a part of an organization that truly cares for its consultants. Pampered Chef has been a source of strength and support for me during one of the hardest times in my life.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Teresa Lynn
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies
Views
cookinfletch
Replies
Views
AJPratt